The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 117 118 119 ... 445 446 447
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2014-09-09 22:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

So, what's the verdict on Uproot? How much MP was it and does it erase all sorts of cool stuff like Paralyze and Blind and at the same time?

I'm 0/3 on it.. Probably about 4-5hrs of my day gone just by that spell. At least I got 1/1 Polar Roar and 1/2 Crap Thunder AoE spell.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-09-09 23:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

It's 88 MP, and seems to remove all debuffs which is very nice lol. I could see some use for it if you are solo I guess. Otherwise Harden Shell is usually my go to under most circumstances.

Also, LS member got augmented JSE cape with:

+28 MP, +DEX2, +6 BLU skill
By Nazrious 2014-09-10 06:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone with 10/10 phys mag effect acc. test it out on incursion higher lvl mobs. Are the status effects landing? no effect, resist, workign as planned? Didn't have time after work last night to play around in there.
 Leviathan.Blittzjr
Server: Leviathan
user: tripletee
By Leviathan.Blittzjr 2014-09-10 07:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing wrong with BLU! We just did a 6 man delve with 4 BLU mages haha.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-09-10 07:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Selindrile said: »
Cerberus.Conagh said: »
I proposed a situation where blu uses occultation. I never said it was optimal.

I believe his argument is that this proposed situation isn't really a justification for occulation, because people don't bring Blu to Tenzen.

Moles are usually creatures that live underground, so they probably don't need raincoats, in the situation that a mole was outdoors, and it was raining, you could put a raincoat on a mole but this doesn't justify making a raincoat for your mole.

But it wouldn't wear one, cuz it's an animal, so this isn't a real justifcation for mole raincoats.

Animals don't wear raincoats and Blus don't go to Tenzen.

Animals do wear coats. Your sarcasm skillz need work.

And I said, in a situational situation, where you are BLU (I never once argued you would ever take a BLU to it, this is called theoretical, sorry you confused fact with this) Occulatation in such a situation would be VERY useful.

This was one possible occasion, where if you went BLU (because I know 1 good BLU who's on a lot and a lot of shitty crap SAM's who you would take instead because SAM MNK minimality where as I take quality over X job). GIVEN THE CHOICE I would take Doc on BLU over ANY DD IN GAME because I know he's good and we can clear VD with Minimal fuss.

DPS is not an issue on said event so asking for Top Tier DD Jobs is not required unless you need to compensate for your own incompetence. Its an option in 1 instance, I'm sure there are other options in similar situations ~
[+]
By Nazrious 2014-09-10 08:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure Sam, Mnk because SE hates all other DD but you can still take any DD.

More importantly hows status acc holding up for Blu?
 Ragnarok.Worldslost
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Worldslost 2014-09-10 09:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Reading this I have to say there are optimal set ups for all situations so no one is incorrect, it's just the job is very versatile and ppl have many opinions on what they think is best. As for this no blu in tenzen thing I Zerg with the best of them and have out parsed mnk and Sam on tenzen. A ***monk and low acc Sam will never out parse a well geared blu. So just inviting jobs and not players is why ppl lose a lot of events. Just my thoughts...
[+]
 Odin.Acacia
Server: Odin
user: Acacia
By Odin.Acacia 2014-09-10 09:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
It's 88 MP, and seems to remove all debuffs which is very nice lol. I could see some use for it if you are solo I guess. Otherwise Harden Shell is usually my go to under most circumstances.

Wait... you can augment JSE capes now? How?
By Nazrious 2014-09-10 10:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Acacia said: »

Wait... you can augment JSE capes now? How?

Nope. They are augmented already yeah another randomized bs fest, le sigh.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-10 10:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Worldslost said: »
Reading this I have to say there are optimal set ups for all situations so no one is incorrect, it's just the job is very versatile and ppl have many opinions on what they think is best. As for this no blu in tenzen thing I Zerg with the best of them and have out parsed mnk and Sam on tenzen. A ***monk and low acc Sam will never out parse a well geared blu. So just inviting jobs and not players is why ppl lose a lot of events. Just my thoughts...

The good BLU > crappy SAM argument is tired. There aren't many things I wouldn't take a good BLU to, but if that person had a good SAM or MNK, they'd probably be asked to come on those jobs 9 times out of 10.
[+]
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-09-10 10:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I got 3 cape drops yesterday in my WKR adventures yesterday, none of them had aguments... how do you get said augments?
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-09-10 10:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

The good BLU > crappy SAM argument is tired. There aren't many things I wouldn't take a good BLU to, but if that person had a good SAM or MNK, they'd probably be asked to come on those jobs 9 times out of 10.

he doesn;t play SAM and his MNK is good, but his BLU is Nuts.

besides! We clear VD with his BLU, I'd rather clear VD in the 30 seconds extra it takes, with less stress and letting him play a job he enjoys, or did we all forget this is a game and not Big Business.?

If you can't take criticism you will never make it in Big Business.
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2014-09-10 10:44:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Gib said: »
I got 3 cape drops yesterday in my WKR adventures yesterday, none of them had aguments... how do you get said augments?

Augmented versions drop from Incursion.
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-09-10 10:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Isiolia said: »
Shiva.Gib said: »

Augmented versions drop from Incursion.
welp, that explains that
By Nazrious 2014-09-10 15:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

besides! We clear VD with his BLU, I'd rather clear VD in the 30 seconds extra it takes, with less stress and letting him play a job he enjoys, or did we all forget this is a game and not Big Business.?

SOA not SAO... but try to tell people that. People tend to forget how much utility blu can bring. Heck to bad Diffusion EF does not count toward blu parse totals. People bring Jobs simply for buffs like brd and wont even think twice if they do a crap Job and fail to keep proper songs up during fights. However you parse behind a SAM or MNK because u rocked n kept up uffs n debuffs and many times you get a "yeah thats why people don't bring Blu"

Just an aside I do play brd often and its a very hard Job to do well, but no matter how craptastic the majority of brds are no matter that ghorn/durandabla owners can barely keep 2 songs up let alone 3 or 4 BRD will always get invited more than BlU and most of the time with only a "you 3 song?"

1) make own PT. Even if you aint a sack make a pt n I bet many LS members will join.

2) treat every outing on Blu as an audition, DDs have it hard and BLU especially are measured by their last failure more then all their previous accomplishments.

3) if a Sam isnt REM Tsuru or MNK isnt REM or 119 then your Uson/bura BLU is probably better.
3a) Dont just run around with JSE and think ur Blu is worth anything. This crap is what ruins it for other Blus. You want to be a DD then gear like one. Otherwise double club and stay in Aby.

4) Don't talk a out Blu Club.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-10 15:28:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I completely agree, but the point was that another job is better for that situation. A great BLU is better than a crappy SAM, but SAM is still a more appropriate job for that situation. Say you go BLU because you like to or because you don't play the optimal job, not because you outparse a crappy SAM sometimes.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-09-10 15:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I completely agree, but the point was that another job is better for that situation. A great BLU is better than a crappy SAM, but SAM is still a more appropriate job for that situation. Say you go BLU because you like to or because you don't play the optimal job, not because you outparse a crappy SAM sometimes.

And my point was, I never said BLU > SAM... I said that in x situation a Good BLU is useful and can more than justify it's slot and further pointed out that a Good BLU (who you know) is obviously going to be better than a chance meeting from a PUG SAM.

And in Said event (where no one has ever said BLU is optimal but you seem hell bent on he idea a BLU can't go as its not the best possible DD / justify its spot there and is therefore never going to go, which is just lolwhat get some glasses cos that's shortsighted) occultation is very useful there and you can sub war, furthermore, I have seen Doctorugh come very close to a SAM on parse /run, if he was subbing WAR with zerk up, I'd imagine the gap would close even more so and would probably see a greater bias on his usefulness for landing debuffs or with supportive cures (granted the supports suck, but again BLU being rather self sufficient allows for wtfBS moments because not everything is 100% smooth).

I play with friends, who go blu, so, it is a viable option and situation to use, and we do this on VD with no issues, so we don't need SAM, we Don't need the best in slot DD's type.

Anymore BS about "it's not best DD" I'll just ignore you from now on because the only person who has ever said this is you, no one else mentioned it's the best DD, all we've said if it's in the group x is good.
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-09-10 18:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
3) if a Sam isnt REM Tsuru or MNK isnt REM or 119 then your Uson/bura BLU is probably better.
3a) Dont just run around with JSE and think ur Blu is worth anything. This crap is what ruins it for other Blus. You want to be a DD then gear like one. Otherwise double club and stay in Aby.

Wait, why again would I use the best DPS setup (double club) and then stay in aby? I'm confused, did they revamp aby for HQ players or something?

As servers get smaller, we all ought to join the same one so we can talk ***to each other in game, and of course back up points we are making.
By Nazrious 2014-09-10 18:27:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Doctorugh said: »
Quote:

Wait, why again would I use the best DPS setup (double club) and then stay in aby? I'm confused, did they revamp aby for HQ players or something?

As servers get smaller, we all ought to join the same one so we can talk ***to each other in game, and of course back up points we are making.
Well you could double sword for lol melee but I figure a blu would at least be trying to AOE using subductions.. still fail Blu is fail Blu and they should just stay in Aby.
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-09-10 18:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah but a true fail blue would be using double swords and melee in aby, thats where you threw me
 Carbuncle.Kaelthas
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Kaelthas 2014-09-10 18:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

SE did another ninja edit, you can now learn Nakuaal spells while dead in a Wildskeeper reive. No more last minute raises ^_^b
[+]
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
Server: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2014-09-10 18:56:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sweets!
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-09-10 19:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Going back to spell sets, there's really no "wrong" set as long as it's justifiable by your situation. That's really the fun of blu IMO. For example , occultation or magic fruit might be totally appropriate or even necessary in many situations, but if conagh is the whm, I not only would be wasting set points but also offending the skills of said whm. As long as there's good cause for one spell over another, it's not wrong.
 Asura.Sabishii
user: Sabishii
By Asura.Sabishii 2014-09-10 23:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Just tried polar roar on a bunch of bees in ceizak battlegrounds. It did mediocre damage (1.7k on each of the 4 wasps in range). I then tested rail cannon on one of them. It did 4.5k damage. The mob just stood there until I hit it around 2 minutes later, it broke bind, and a couple seconds later, the other bees broke bind 2 seconds or so after.

I tried it again, with aoe spells, and it broke bind on some mobs, but not others in the aoe.

I think polar roar's bind has a chance of not being broken by damage.
 Asura.Lokimaru
user: Rocketpop
By Asura.Lokimaru 2014-09-11 00:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Geez, where do I start after being gone for over a year :x

Sparks?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-09-11 00:31:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sabishii said: »
Just tried polar roar on a bunch of bees in ceizak battlegrounds. It did mediocre damage (1.7k on each of the 4 wasps in range). I then tested rail cannon on one of them. It did 4.5k damage. The mob just stood there until I hit it around 2 minutes later, it broke bind, and a couple seconds later, the other bees broke bind 2 seconds or so after.

I tried it again, with aoe spells, and it broke bind on some mobs, but not others in the aoe.

all binds work like this
[+]
 Asura.Sabishii
user: Sabishii
By Asura.Sabishii 2014-09-11 00:34:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

all binds work like this

Really? I thought the moment you hit something that's binded, it'll break bind.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-09-11 00:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

don't remember if it's based off of the source of the bind or INT vs INT, but even the standard bind spell can persist through damage
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2014-09-11 00:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

all binds work like this

Really? I thought the moment you hit something that's binded, it'll break bind.

Yeah, it's just so rare unless your skill is really high. But maybe they made it freakishly good for the WKR spell. Kind of like our freakish stuns or our Aquaveil. I'd be happy with a high potency bind. Not like we'll be using it more often than every 5 minutes anyway!
By Selindrile 2014-09-11 01:32:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Animals do wear coats.

This was one possible occasion, where if you went BLU~

My point is that these are both unrealistic, silly, corner cases, you don't base an argument on the validity of things that happen extremely rarely.

Also, this was in no way sarcasm, it was more a metaphor explaining why your argument didn't carry water.

DPS is not an issue on said event so asking for Top Tier DD Jobs is not required unless you need to compensate for your own incompetence.

First off inviting a random player on a specific job is to minimize the effects of their potential incompetence. And second among friends you most likely have access to similarly geared Blus and Sams, so you simply would want to take the more appropriate job, you can clear most content pretty consistently with 6x Pup if you want, but why would you?

Anything else is just being a hipster and preferring to do things in a less mainstream way. Much as I love Blu, and my Blu is well geared and could easily outdo most monks there, my rather average Sam and above average Monk outdo it.
First Page 2 3 ... 117 118 119 ... 445 446 447