Happy Birthday Final Fantasy VII!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Happy Birthday Final Fantasy VII!
Happy Birthday Final Fantasy VII!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-02-01 14:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said: »
If you were aware of how RPGs were made in the past with the dinky two dimensional sprites, blocky landscapes and a MIDI soundtrack, it blew you out of the freakin water to have a Final Fantasy with full three dimensional polygon characters (despite being stubby as hell), animated backgrounds and music that was able to play in a more full spectrum than anything you've heard before.
Not FF7:

I think the problem is that most people with nostalgia glasses for FF7 think the whole game looked the PS3 tech demo, and sounded like fully orchestrated remixes.

Is one of these really any more "dinky" than the other? Time and again I see this argument that assumes 3D is somehow inherently better, even if it's the worst looking 3D graphics you've ever seen. I'm sorry, but if you're comparing what is essentially the low of 32bit era untextured shading, the high of 16bit era sprites look pretty damn good in comparison.

I was going to point how how both games are what is essentially 240p, and how anything "blocky" applies to one just as much as it does the other, but this comparison is frankly hilarious. Really. I mean, I know the PSone itteration does revolutionary things like spinning around the battle scene (Wheeeeeeeeee!) but come on, guys...

Finally, MIDI music. Get this, they're both midi! Granted the PSone had a slightly more capable sound processor than the SPC700, but it was mostly in its memory capacity, offering a tad higher sample space for instruments. This really doesn't carry across in the end, as I'm 100% confident I can select pieces from FF6 and FF7 and play them for someone who has never played either game, without them being able to tell that an entire generation of consoles had transpired between the two. I'm not saying FF7 had bad music by any means, the tracks are very memorable, but that is a quality attributed to its composer and not the hardware it was running on (which by the way, was the PSone)

I was actually going to get some youtubes linked in here but I'm tired of arguing a 15 year old debate I'm obviously not going to win.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-02-01 14:57:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said: »
Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Zubis said: »
Quote:
Had I said PSX not only would I have been off by several ten thousand model numbers, but an entire console generation as well. No one including yourself would have been able to discern just what the *** I was talking about!

The PlayStation was marketed in Europe as the PSX for the first couple of years until they released the smaller PS1 model.
Nothing was ever marketed as a PSX besides the picture of the DVR recording-enabled PS2 I have pictured above.

wrong...at least according to Sony of America.
No, SOA wanted SOJ to change the name of the PSX because they thought it would confuse people who in Western countries who had been unofficially calling the PlayStation "PSX", which it was never officially called.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-02-01 14:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

the Playstation version did not use midi files...
By Artemicion 2012-02-01 15:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

If you really want to deny it was a significant step above standard SNES RPGs then go for it. All I'm saying is 7 was a watershed moment for the RPG genre as a whole. Hence it's level of prestige even to this day. But by all means, raise a stink over it if you're so compelled.
But frankly, I think you're grasping at straws at this point. It was far more than simply the advancement of hardware and rendering therein that made 7 so highly regarded.
Though the transition between platforms and capacity therein that held some account for the hype and memorability for it. It set the stage for future titles that so many hold to higher acclaim.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-02-01 15:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

the Playstation version did not use midi files...
It's not called MIDI, but it's the PSone equivalent of sample-based orchestrated music, which is what MIDI is.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-02-01 15:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

yes that's why people bothered to mod the pc version and replace the midi sound files with the psx sound files, yes, yes.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-02-01 15:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Had I said PSX not only would I have been off by several ten thousand model numbers, but an entire console generation as well. No one including yourself would have been able to discern just what the *** I was talking about!

The PlayStation was marketed in Europe as the PSX for the first couple of years until they released the smaller PS1 model.
Nothing was ever marketed as a PSX besides the picture of the DVR recording-enabled PS2 I have pictured above.

No, SOA wanted SOJ to change the name of the PSX because they thought it would confuse people who in Western countries who had been unofficially calling the PlayStation "PSX", which it was never officially called.

yes, that's why they were originally marketing the PlayStation as the PSX, yup.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-02-01 15:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

yes that's why people bothered to mod the pc version and replace the midi sound files with the psx sound files, yes, yes.
No, what they did was either replace the instruments used by the industry standard midi files that the FF7 PC version used so that they sounded closer to the instruments the PSone used, or used ripped digitized music that came from either a direct feed from the game (unlikely) or the OST. FF7 has prerendered digitized music but it only occurs during the FMVs. All of the actual game music is processed exactly the same way MIDI is, by samples of instruments playing what is essentially a sheet of music.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-02-01 15:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

yes, that's why they were originally marketing the PlayStation as the PSX, yup.
POIDH? I don't know what to tell you. The PlayStation was developed under the code name PS-X which is why some people picked it up, similar to the Nintendo "dolphin" and "revolution", or perhaps ultra64 if you were around back then. None of these are official titles, yet are none the less passing currency for unoffical circles.

If you believe the PlayStation was ever officially marketed as a "PSX", all I can tell you is I'm sory but You're wrong. And frankly, the only reason I even brought it up was by analogy of how you went out of your way to point out that yes, Sony has released a system that was specially called a PSone instead of just colloquially. If you didn't pick up on the satirical tone, I'm terribly sorry for that too.
By Artemicion 2012-02-01 15:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

No reason to be a *** Kong.
Seriously.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-02-01 15:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

/sigh

Edge Magazine said:
In Europe, at least: the US nevertheless went ahead with early trade promotion, calling it PSX, and had even come up with its own mascot, Polygon Man.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-02-01 15:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

All I'm saying is 7 was a watershed moment for the RPG genre as a whole.
Can you really call it a watershed moment if it was admittedly your first title? It would seem someone would have had to been around both before and afterward to have an objective opinion on this matter. I've been playing since FF4 (which is my favorite, so I think you're certainly on to something) and I think that qualifies me to look a bit more broadly on just how much FF7 changed things. As I pointed out, I don't really think FF7 made any huge jumps compared to the jump any other title made. It's roughly the same jump between 4 and 6, which aren't even on different consoles.

As I said before, I think it was more of a time and a place issue. FF7 just happened to be there for a new demographic to enjoy. It just as well could have been FF6 and I'm sure we'd be talking about FF4 vs FF6 right now instead.

No reason to be a *** Kong.
Seriously.
I don't like sarcastically being called an idiot especially when I'm the one who knows what he's talking about.
 Bahamut.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-02-01 16:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Chill.
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-02-01 16:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Did I miss something?
 Phoenix.Vael
Server: Phoenix
user: Vale
By Phoenix.Vael 2012-02-01 16:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

All the games are all great games. I usually consider myself less susceptible to nostalgia than most, yet even I don't particularly like XIII or IX but love VII. I don't understand how people can love games that clearly aren't good, but other people think the same thing about VII. So for all I know I missed something, so I don't argue about it.

When I replay VII (which I do all the time) the stunted graphics of 'low-quality' music never faze me. They are astounding to see again (the music is usually not surprising, though; I never second guess it) but the game still has all its old charm.

It was a complete game and succeeded in its endeavor. The same cannot be said for lesser titles in the series.
 Fenrir.Niniann
Server: Fenrir
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-02-01 17:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Rowland said: »
I enjoy sprites and text over polygons and voiceovers. But that's just me.

^

I would have enjoyed FFVII *more* if it were a sprite-based game. As long as the sprites were this pretty:

In the long-run, it was probably best they made FFVII with crappy 3-D polygons though.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-02-01 17:50:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I don't believe that AC portrayed Cloud's spikey hair well, but that's just me. Oh that and the overall asianface, but I guess that's to be expected.
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-02-01 17:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I don't believe that AC portrayed Cloud's spikey hair well, but that's just me. Oh that and the overall asianface, but I guess that's to be expected.

I hate hate hated AC. Also yeah, I was kinda weirded out by everyone looking asian. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but Midgar is clearly supposed to be a western civilization, with Wutai being 'Japan/China.' The only Wutai people (IE the only ones that should have looked asian in AC) were Yuffie and Tseng. :x
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2012-02-01 17:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, he -is- Asian, as all FF characters (outside of the clearly African American ones) pretty much are.

I don't mind sprites, but I'd take voice-overs than walls of text. It's punishing when you accidentally skip over a line then get lost because of that one critical cutscene of text information that you cannot look back on.

That, and constant reading gets very boring.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-02-01 17:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I enjoyed it, but then again I'm easily pleased with movies, I didn't hate Spirits Within either.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-02-01 17:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I prefer subtitles with voice overs, if the voices aren't awful.
 Bismarck.Cicada
Server: Bismarck
user: Narshee
By Bismarck.Cicada 2012-02-01 17:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rinomaru said: »
I remember a few years ago after my friend barrowed ff7 and scratched a disk i went on ebay to find a NEW one
Bestseller:30~50bucks
Original: 100+

Needless to say, i got the best seller version lol
You can buy a brand new best seller version on amazon got 15$ max. You got jipped.(I bought LoD and Chrono Cross there :o)
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-02-01 17:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said: »
I mean, he -is- Asian, as all FF characters (outside of the clearly African American ones) pretty much are.

They're not, lol.

I enjoyed it, but then again I'm easily pleased with movies, I didn't hate Spirits Within either.

If I could separate the movie in my mind from FFVII I'd be much happier with it. The story(still haven't seen AC: Complete though) doesn't mesh with the canon established in FFVII.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-02-01 17:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niniann said: »

They're not, lol.

If I could separate the movie in my mind from FFVII I'd be much happier with it. The story(still haven't seen AC: Complete though) doesn't mesh with the canon established in FFVII.

short of Cloud going back to being emo, which they explained?
 Bismarck.Cicada
Server: Bismarck
user: Narshee
By Bismarck.Cicada 2012-02-01 17:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought they were all asian unless specified.. Like Irving was American. (I dunno, I just assume D:)

Malwarebytes keeps blocking something on this page.. someone's images are dirty ._.
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-02-01 17:59:44
Link | Quote | Reply

short of Cloud going back to being emo, which they explained?

There was a few things that didn't make sense, I'd have to go through the movie and pick the instances out individually. I can only imagine that AC: Complete explained these holes though.

I also read all of the short-stories attached to AC, and they also filled in some more of the holes. But when I first saw the movie, it made no sense whatsoever in the context of the VII universe.
 Ramuh.Urial
Server: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2012-02-01 18:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind sprites, but I'd take voice-overs than walls of text. It's punishing when you accidentally skip over a line then get lost because of that one critical cutscene of text information that you cannot look back on.

That, and constant reading gets very boring.
HEY HEY HEY
Cid is clearly a horrible Southern American stereotype...Ironically just as much as Barrett is lol.
[+]
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-02-01 18:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Cicada said: »
I thought they were all asian unless specified.. Like Irving was American. (I dunno, I just assume D:)

Well, I mean some of them are yes, but if you look at their faces in other media it's pretty clear which race they are. Not to mention, for instance, Tifa was a cowgirl. I mean she could be an asian cowgirl but...

Pretty clearly eastern descent:

Pretty clearly not supposed to be of eastern descent:

First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9