Link | Quote | Reply

thank you for elaborating
 Fenrir.Camaroz
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: camaroz
By Fenrir.Camaroz 2013-02-21 23:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

whats to elaborate? you said im not capping haste which piece of gear is better. Austar gave you an answer.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-02-21 23:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Razziel said: »
thank you for elaborating
np
[+]
 Carbuncle.Razziel
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Razziel 2013-02-21 23:27:12
Link | Quote | Reply

found my answer with some research, apparently the enhanced hasso effect is ja haste and not magic (which made me question it in the first place). This and with Zanshin's occ. dealing double damage I could see why this is a much more superior option over Phorcys dirs.
In case anyone else has wondered about it as well.

The regulars can resume circle jerking each other now.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-21 23:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

found my answer with some research, apparently the enhanced hasso effect is ja haste and not magic (which made me question it in the first place). This and with Zanshin's occ. dealing double damage I could see why this is a much more superior option over Phorcys dirs.
In case anyone else has wondered about it as well.

The regulars can resume circle jerking each other now.

Dude, why so hostile? You gave a simple question and got a simple answer. Not to mention this gear slot has long been established, pretty much since it was determined the boost was JA haste (honestly it couldn't have been anything else to begin with). Da hell man? Settle down.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Razziel
By Carbuncle.Razziel 2013-02-21 23:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

nothing hostile about the post. Normally I see a decent explanation with peoples answers. Just want the science behind it before following someones answer as gospel.

I never seen these talks hence the question.
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2013-02-22 00:04:10
Link | Quote | Reply

nothing hostile about the post. Normally I see a decent explanation with peoples answers. Just want the science behind it before following someones answer as gospel.

I never seen these talks hence the question.

So you are mad at someone not taking the extra time to give you what you determine to be a sufficient answer, yet you were to lazy to do the MINIMAL research involved in coming to such a conclusion?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-22 00:14:45
Link | Quote | Reply

nothing hostile about the post. Normally I see a decent explanation with peoples answers. Just want the science behind it before following someones answer as gospel. I never seen these talks hence the question.

ya bud thats outlined on pages 1-20 over and over, but I'm glad you got your answer and won't be one of "those" sam's.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Razziel
By Carbuncle.Razziel 2013-02-22 00:15:44
Link | Quote | Reply

consult the experts right? With that logic what use would there be to this entire thread?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Razziel
By Carbuncle.Razziel 2013-02-22 00:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Seen people list Phorcys dirs in their tp sets as recently as 2 pages ago... it wasn't contested either. So I thought maybe it was viable.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-02-22 00:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

consult the experts right? With that logic what use would there be to this entire thread?
my friend list only has room for 200 people. and i really hate pms. you losers have to contact me somehow.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Razziel
By Carbuncle.Razziel 2013-02-22 00:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't come on here to reach the almight Austar... don't flatter yourself.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-22 01:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Seen people list Phorcys dirs in their tp sets as recently as 2 pages ago... it wasn't contested either. So I thought maybe it was viable.

zelphes put them in a seigan set, which I and others contested, obviously hasso enhancement has nothing to do with seigan, but still no.

Ramuh.Austar said: »
my friend list only has room for 200 people. and i really hate pms. you losers have to contact me somehow.

seriously . . .
[+]
 Valefor.Tsukii
Server: Valefor
user: Tsuki
By Valefor.Tsukii 2013-02-22 07:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

After a year+ hiatus from game I've just recently returned, that said, I'd like to clarify a couple of things if possible. I appreciate any input!

By my reckoning, unless they've gone and changed a bunch of mathy-tp things -- which is entirely possible, Masamune looks like it should require 81stp for a true 5 hit? (for one hit WS. can someone clarify 2hit ws? should i still get +1 off second hit?... assuming no da/ta/qa)

~feel free to stop me anywhere... I may/probably will make mistakes~

New Sam STP trait+full merits should put me at 40 to start with meaning I need 41 in gear to get the 81 STP I need.

- To get that combination of STP can I still mix things up and say, have like more stp on tp set and less on ws as long as it totals 41 (merits/traits are static) at the end of the day?

Thanks~!
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-02-22 08:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

A common misconception I see about 5-hit builds among some people is that as long as you are getting 20 TP/hit in your TP phase (which it seems like you are doing since with your proposed 81 STP you would be getting exactly 20 TP/hit), you have a 5-hit. However, unless you are WSing in the same amount of STP you are TPing in (you shouldn't be), this is not the case.

A Masamune's weapon skill set generally has 15-16 STP, depending on whether or not you have access to Tenryu Hakama +1. For those without, your WS set should be containing 15 STP (Rose Strap, Rajas Ring, Brutal Earring, Saotome Sune-ate +2)

I don't know how to explain things as well as a lot of people on this site, but I'll try:

11.1 * 1.55 = 17.2(floored)

100 - 17.2 = 82.8

82.8 / 4 = 20.7

So in this case, you'll want to shoot for 20.7 TP/hit in your TP phase to make up for the less STP you have in your weapon skill set compared to your TP set. This comes out to needing at least 87 STP including merits in your TP phase.

As for your question about 2-hit weapon skills, the extra hit is 1.[TP / 10(floored)]. For example, 50 STP including merits in your WS gear would result in 1.5 TP for extra hits. 60 STP would result in 1.6 TP for extra hits. 65 STP would result in 1.6 TP, and so on.

If there's something confusing in there let me know. Like i said I suck at explaining stuff. ;;
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-02-22 08:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems very well explained to me!
[+]
 Odin.Zelphes
user: Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2013-02-22 08:23:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You need to account for STP lost during WS-phase, so for Fudo I'd use 48 STP in gear during TP (with merits=88 STP), and minimum 12 STP in gear during WS (with merits=52 STP).

But you likely need to WS in Rose Strap if no Tenryu Hakama+1 for non-regain builds which bumps STP amount up to 15 (55 STP with merits) on WS.

You can calculate it like this:

1.88*11.1 = 20.868 ]=> floored 20.8
20.8*4 = 83.2

1.55*11.1 = 17.205]=> floored 17.2

83.2 + 17.2 = 100.4

As for you question regarding Shoha (2-hit calculation on STP needed)

If we keep same amount of STP for TP, but less STP used on Shoha compared to Fudo is optimal to maintain more WS power.

In this case if your X-build rely on 2nd hit to land to maintain X-build, you need minimum 1 STP for Shoha assuming TP in 48 STP gear+merits.

Calculation would be:

1.41*11.1 = 15.651]=> floored 15.6

83.2 + 15.6 + 1.4 (2nd-hit = 1.41~1.4 floored) = 100.2

Any additional procs on Shoha counts as +1 STP.
[+]
 Odin.Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2013-02-22 08:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Llewelyn said: »
As for your question about 2-hit weapon skills, the extra hit is 1.(STP / 10). For example, 50 STP including merits in your WS gear would result in 1.5 TP for extra hits. 60 STP would result in 1.6 TP for extra hits, and so on.

Using 1.(STP / 10) formula doesn't work well when mathing it out.
The decimals are floored.

As an example:

1.55*11.1 = 17.205]=> floored 17.2

83.2 + 17.2 + 1.5 (2nd-hit = 1.55~1.5 floored) = 101.9
[+]
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-02-22 09:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I know it's floored. I stated it earlier but I guess i forgot to restate it in that example. Edited for clarity.
[+]
 Odin.Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2013-02-22 09:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I know it's floored. I stated it earlier but I guess i forgot to restate it in that example. Edited for clarity.

The point I was making is that the formula is redundant when calculating. Since you already know the amount of STP you use on WS when calculating (1.55~1.5), simply floor it as shown above.
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-02-22 09:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Neither way is incorrect, but yes, that works.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-22 10:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Neither way is incorrect, but yes, that works.

I always replicate tp hits in my math, makes it easier to visualize. I also like to be able to see when and where zanhasso attacks may fall to get a better idea of how i end i up with some of the massive overflow in certain situations.
By Gimp 2013-02-22 10:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Suggestion: Compile the meat of this thread into a sam sticky lot of good info just have to do a lot of backreading(if you find the right pages) and comparisons and ws gear options have been updated as the months have gone by.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Goldnboy
user: Goldnboy
By Ragnarok.Goldnboy 2013-02-22 11:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

A common misconception I see about 5-hit builds among some people is that as long as you are getting 20 TP/hit in your TP phase (which it seems like you are doing since with your proposed 81 STP you would be getting exactly 20 TP/hit), you have a 5-hit. However, unless you are WSing in the same amount of STP you are TPing in (you shouldn't be), this is not the case.

A Masamune's weapon skill set generally has 15-16 STP, depending on whether or not you have access to Tenryu Hakama +1. For those without, your WS set should be containing 15 STP (Rose Strap, Rajas Ring, Brutal Earring, Saotome Sune-ate +2)

I don't know how to explain things as well as a lot of people on this site, but I'll try:

11.1 * 1.55 = 17.2(floored)

100 - 17.2 = 82.8

82.8 / 4 = 20.7

So in this case, you'll want to shoot for 20.7 TP/hit in your TP phase to make up for the less STP you have in your weapon skill set compared to your TP set. This comes out to needing at least 87 STP including merits in your TP phase.

As for your question about 2-hit weapon skills, the extra hit is 1.[TP / 10(floored)]. For example, 50 STP including merits in your WS gear would result in 1.5 TP for extra hits. 60 STP would result in 1.6 TP for extra hits. 65 STP would result in 1.6 TP, and so on.

If there's something confusing in there let me know. Like i said I suck at explaining stuff. ;;

Glad this was Posted... Was trying to explain this to a LS person other day...

We need to get one of you SAM guru experts to make a SAM Guide to sticky with all this stuff like most other Jobs have here..

I suck at writing and not nearly as math knowledgable as quite a few of the ppl on here to do it myself!
 Ragnarok.Daffel
user: daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2013-02-22 11:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Would be nice to see a SAM guide on here but have a horrible feeling it would get flamed.

Posted a short SAM guide on my LS's GW site about most important WSs, how and why they are geared and most important pieces and why. (Why what is top, top)

But wouldn't have the balls to flesh it out and post it on here. *** SAM, WHMfLf...
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2013-02-22 11:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Well whatever you do, don't waste four posts on situational sets with no context or stat targets and ignore advice to clean it up and give more general ideals instead of a bunch of [itemset] tags.
 Ragnarok.Daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2013-02-22 11:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Not only that, a SAM guide would have to have so much info =S
 Ragnarok.Daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2013-02-22 11:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Raelia said: »
Well whatever you do, don't waste four posts on situational sets with no context or stat targets and ignore advice to clean it up and give more general ideals instead of a bunch of [itemset] tags.

Has this happened in one? I thought all the guides so far were a very high caliber? But they have never been about jobs I have played so just glanced them.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-22 11:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Daffel said: »
Not only that, a SAM guide would have to have so much info =S

Not really, basic math for the common weapon delays, general info about ja's and gear that enhances them, and a low/mid/high gear sections based on access and available time/gil.
First Page 2 3 ... 50 51 52 53 54