SCH relic +2
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-01-31 08:04:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I doubt the magazine tested anything. They were likely handed the information by SE.

Also, it is disingenuous to say it is a magic accuracy bonus when you have weather up and use the strategem. Assuming it works like the damage bonus (which I tested), what the translation actually seems to mean is:
"If you have weather up and are casting with the strategem, there is a 15% higher chance you will get the magic accuracy bonus associated with weather without an Obi."

AKA, it's nearly worthless.
By Tandava 2012-02-20 19:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The Argute Loafers +2 were the most exciting piece to me at first, but I've recently become a little disenchanted by the idea of them.

Augmented, they grant +12 to the corresponding stat of a storm spell, which is quite impressive. +12 INT from using hailstorm will be gladly welcomed. It is a little unfortunate that Aurorastorm gives +CHR and not MND for healing, but that's ok I'll live.

I was especially excited to open up new doors in regards to buffs we can give others. However, this stat boost pales in comparison to the boost spells. A WHM (and RDMs, I suppose) can give almost twice this increase to all party members using Light Arts (funny, right?) and Enhancing Magic Skill gear with a simple boost spell.

In an ideal world we would be able to combine both of these stat boosts for an even great boost, but I of course won't be holding my breath for that time to come.
By Tandava 2012-02-20 22:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
I doubt the magazine tested anything. They were likely handed the information by SE.

Also, it is disingenuous to say it is a magic accuracy bonus when you have weather up and use the strategem. Assuming it works like the damage bonus (which I tested), what the translation actually seems to mean is:
"If you have weather up and are casting with the strategem, there is a 15% higher chance you will get the magic accuracy bonus associated with weather without an Obi."

AKA, it's nearly worthless.

(I apologize for the double-post!!)

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know weather does not affect magic accuracy. At least this used to be the consensus back before I quit. If weather does indeed influence magic accuracy, could someone link me to an experiment that tested it?
By Brolli 2012-02-20 23:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Best bet for Curing these days 50% potency plus all W/D bonuses. This gives you a 31.5% recast timer reduction (not counting haste) under Light Arts. If you aren't aligned with W/D I would make sure you end in a haste belt and the Veela Cape.

With SE giving SCHs and RDMs the finger the best way compensate is to cut that recast timer down as much as possible.

Edit: Anyone know what the +2 feet Fast Cast value is yet?
this is actually the best cure gear for sch,

people needs to realize that you no longer need to work on painful arka4 staff for cure, on top of that you get extra cure casting speed. (no longer 50% cap btw)
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-02-20 23:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

except sch cant wear roundel
By Brolli 2012-02-20 23:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

still can reach the cure pot cap without roundel
 Odin.Minefield
Server: Odin
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2012-02-20 23:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
except sch cant wear roundel

EVERY TIME I THINK ABOUT IT, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SE
[+]
By Tandava 2012-02-20 23:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Brolli said: »

Best bet for Curing these days 50% potency plus all W/D bonuses. This gives you a 31.5% recast timer reduction (not counting haste) under Light Arts. If you aren't aligned with W/D I would make sure you end in a haste belt and the Veela Cape.

With SE giving SCHs and RDMs the finger the best way compensate is to cut that recast timer down as much as possible.

people needs to realize that you no longer need to work on painful arka4 staff for cure, on top of that you get extra cure casting speed. (no longer 50% cap btw)

BGWiki claims it is "likely" 5% (http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Argute_Loafers_%2B2) If this is true, then Scholar's Loafers may still be the superior piece since it directly enhances the effect of Light Arts. Fast Cast usually only decrease recast by .5 the fast cast value.

I don't get why making a cure staff is any less painful than trying to get sufficient augments using synergy on a Genbu's Shield. I honestly have never tried augmenting with synergy (or synergy at all for that matter), but I assume it's similar to trying to get the right augments on a dominion ops piece (e.g. Facio Bliaut).

Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE the idea of a healer that uses a shield but just doesn't seem worth the effort (or gil, in Tefnut's case) when I already have a cure staff. I certainly understand if someone has the gil and would rather just buy the more pricey cure potency pieces, though. The 50+ light damage on beasts trial was incredibly difficult when I took it on. However, now that I have a fully equipped SMN and a WHM melee set it would be much less challenging.

Er... For the record, this is what I've been using for a cure set. Not as impressive as some of the other sets posted, but it's served its purpose thus far. I've spent a lot more time building up my nuke set on SCH since I'm not often asked/allowed to heal. I'll end up splurging a bit on prolix ring and Fylgja +1 (to cap cure potency) one day, but SCH is secondary to my DNC so can't justify the purchase just yet...
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-03-02 10:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah... I must admit grabbing 15 carbites was pretty painless for me.

Staff is a better choice than the wand for many reasons, the most pertinent being that every additional piece of gear you carry will no doubt prevent you from carrying something else you want to. SCH curing isn't so much about potency (although potency is important) but more about RECAST (at least imo) therefore the haste grip (something you should be carrying anyways) is a good choice. If you can get the cure casting delay on the shield, its worth throwing into your fast cast set but, even then there are better alternatives such as the Arka I with the 14% casting delay (there's your painful), which is also useful for all those light magic spells that take some time to successfully cast. (especially with that Dark arts 20% penalty).

Here's the best cure casting set as well

Under light arts that pretty much hits the casting delay cap give or take a percent or two.
 Ragnarok.Lugat
user: Jar
By Ragnarok.Lugat 2012-03-02 10:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

it's 5% and dont post gear you dont have <.<
 Lakshmi.Stfutaru
Server: Lakshmi
user: kivyin
By Lakshmi.Stfutaru 2012-03-02 11:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Lugat said: »
why not?
 Ragnarok.Lugat
user: Jar
By Ragnarok.Lugat 2012-03-02 11:18:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Stfutaru said: »
Ragnarok.Lugat said: »
why not?
because he is an idiot. trust me your better taking advice from a doughnut than this kid.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-03-02 13:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

ooooh I've been trolled... how fun
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Seveth
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Seveth
By Quetzalcoatl.Seveth 2012-03-02 13:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming you have Aurorastorm active, isn't this set overkill on cure potency?

15 from tefnut, 15 from Heka's, 5 from back, 10 from waist. That is 45% alone, and if you have Genbu's augmented (like i do) +5% will cap you.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-03-02 13:35:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Seveth said: »

15 from tefnut, 15 from Heka's, 5 from back, 10 from waist. That is 45% alone, and if you have Genbu's augmented (like i do) +5% will cap you.

Weather/Day bonuses do not count towards the cap.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Seveth
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Seveth
By Quetzalcoatl.Seveth 2012-03-02 13:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Seveth said: »

Weather/Day bonuses do not count towards the cap.
Interesting, thanks for the info!