Kraken Club?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Kraken club?
Kraken club?
 Fenrir.Minjo
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-06-26 16:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

These are all valid solutions.
 Fenrir.Curty
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-06-26 16:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said: »
Fenrir.Curty said: »
Yet to see any jobs better suited for kill all floors than kraken Gandiva rng. Leader floors it still holds it own. Only floors I'd argue other DD are better suited are Mega Boss floors but even then.. it's marginal.

Also,on anything that doesn't have crazy evasion. kraken rng outdamages normal rangers by a large amount in voidwatch.

Let me preface the following by saying that RNG is my favorite job and I am usually biased toward it, but not in this case.

First off, any decent gun with last stand is going to destroy Gandiva, especially when you don't have access to full-time potency. So your argument should read, "Yet to see any jobs better suited for kill all floors than annihilator/armageddon RNG. Armageddon might actually be better than annihilator since you have access to wildfire for things like flans/mousse.

Secondly, I have a hard time believing a job without any AoE capacities would be better suited for a kill all floor than a job like a BLU (AoE spells) or WAR (Fell Cleave).

Thirdly, unless you have enough haste to counteract the 10% slow (not sure if this works exactly like slow), and have enough accuracy such that you can use red curry buns, I can pretty much guarantee that KC RNG will not out-damage a regular pew pew RNG in voidwatch. The constant influx of dusty wings works against KC RNG as well, as you don't need to shoot for TP as often as you would otherwise.

Also of note is that you cannot /war if you are using a KC as double attack will slow down the club considerably (if double attack procs then the 2-8 will not proc). Thus you lose berserk as well. So, you are essentially losing: red curry (150 attack), velocity shot (+15-20% attack with emp body), and berserk (+25% attack). You might as well throw the loss of minuets in here as well considering that you'll probably need march to overcome the velocity shot delay.

To conclude, it's a fun toy, and completely useless. Well, not completely useless I suppose, if you are a diehard RNG and must go RNG to nyzul no matter what. Just make sure you have a BLU for sudden lunge... Like I said, I love RNG, but I wouldn't hold my group back by sticking to personal preference.

Edit: I'm actually willing to admit that armageddon + kc might work well in nyzul since wildfire is not affected by such a major loss of attack. I've never heard of anyone doing this though, but I may have to give it a try sometime. You could mow through the amorphs pretty quick I would think.

Used to respect your opinion, but many things wrong with this post. Will note that last stand doesnt self SC is one thing you are not accounting for.
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-06-26 16:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Atoreis said: »
Fenrir.Curty said: »
Yet to see any jobs better suited for kill all floors than kraken Gandiva rng. Leader floors it still holds it own. Only floors I'd argue other DD are better suited are Mega Boss floors but even then.. it's marginal.

Also,on anything that doesn't have crazy evasion. kraken rng outdamages normal rangers by a large amount in voidwatch.

Not really sure how you can beat Ukon/Ragna WAR, Ragna/Apoc DRKs, Amano/Koga/Masa SAMs or even OAT DRGs with Kraken RNG in Neo Nyzul.

First tp gain is kinda less important there since Embrava regain and pause between mobs. It also means that am2 and am3 will be up sometimes because regain will put you at 300TP after every non combat floor.

Sure you will be doing WS a little faster but its nowhere near to make up for giant loss in TP phase.

Doing Ws "a little faster" is a bit of an understatement. I have 100% tp before I am even able to weaponskill again at least 90% of the time.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk 2012-07-01 12:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Kraken club on a ninja viable? Self darkness sc with blade hi seems rather impressive in thought. Anyone tried it?
 Asura.Vrytreya
Server: Asura
user: VZX
By Asura.Vrytreya 2012-07-01 13:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk said: »
Kraken club on a ninja viable? Self darkness sc with blade hi seems rather impressive in thought. Anyone tried it?
Quote:
Jobs ยป Ranger
 Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk 2012-07-01 13:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Everything else is a necro bump. Did a google search and this was the number one find. So go get butt hurt over something else, god people really jave problems if thats seriously an issue to them.
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2012-07-01 13:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Low base damage and low skill will kill your dot which contributes the majority of NIN damage, but you would be better of asking in NIN forums next time.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [65 days between previous and next post]
 Shiva.Pheare
Server: Shiva
user: pheared
By Shiva.Pheare 2012-09-05 01:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Necrobump!

I've been wanting to try out kraken rng for just random stuff. I know it's only really good for weaker mobs, but that's good enough for me to want to make a gear set for it. xD

That being said, I hope I can get some advice for optimal set.

I kind of went in it blindly with the idea Haste > Store TP > Accuracy. I'm just not really sure. D: I don't know how much accuracy I'll need for random exp mobs or my hit rate with kclub on some weaker NMs. I was thinking maybe cobra harness if I still need more +acc? or even Taranis's Harness? I have FFXI Calc which has accuracy generator, but not sure how to determine mob evasion(mob level is listed on wiki).

Also, I don't know how to calculate Store TP well enough to know where I'm sitting on how many hits it takes for 100% tp. I'm just wondering if it'd take more hits if i have less Store TP(that i should make up if i switch out body)

I would assume swithing in Athos Boots/Houyi's Gorget/Tactical Mantle would be better. Unfortunately I don't have any of those atm. :(

Sorry I'm kind of ignorant to anything mathy. I usually browse through topics until I find the most agreed upon answer but this is something that isn't really talked about a lot. Any help is greatly appreciated. :D

Also, which atmas would be optimal for kraken rng?
 Bahamut.Wakabo
Server: Bahamut
user: Wakabo
By Bahamut.Wakabo 2012-09-05 01:33:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Thaumas body forsure, atheling mantle are the first two things I noticed. I don't have club capped to see what it is on rng but I am sure you will need the acc.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-09-05 02:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Wakabo said: »
Thaumas body forsure, atheling mantle are the first two things I noticed. I don't have club capped to see what it is on rng but I am sure you will need the acc.
DA on atheling, DA-QA on thaumas coat. Sacrificing useful stats to lower KC's average hits per round. No.

Uncapped Accuracy

Capped Accuracy(Old Content, Abyssea)

Something like that, probably. Not sure on rancorous mantle + nefarious vs rancor collar and tactical. Krakens DPS is not horrible if you have acc/attack backing it. Byakko's would need a good augment to beat Athos Legs, though you can afford the haste drop.

First set could use zelus + goading and maintain haste cap, provided the extra accuracy from ocelomeh's dex isn't being used and you don't value the regen/evasion/agi. Second set can use NQ Phos.

If you have an enspell available(again, thinking nyzul), hollow becomes more useful, which is why I left it in acc capped set. That said, Ghillie+1 should be better without one.
[+]
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2012-09-05 02:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't Taranis's Harness be better in the uncapped accuracy set?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-09-05 02:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming uncapped accuracy, it's a fair bet your attack is in the shitter. The attack and critrate will reduce 0s. If you're thinking of something like qiqirn in nyzul where acc is horrible but attack isn't, then taranis is probably a better bet.

KC RNG doesn't really belong in anything newer than abyssea anyway though, in my opinion.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-09-05 02:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

It works pretty well in Neo Nyzul but then again what doesn't.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-09-05 02:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
It works pretty well in Neo Nyzul but then again what doesn't.
I see it as more of: 'I really really really really really love ranger and want my group to put up with that' or 'I don't have the time to level/gear a new job to acceptable standards, but my friends arent douchebags so they let me come rng'.

You open 1/3-1/2 of fights with WS anyway, a large portion of which will be near-one shotted by a decent DD.. removes most of the benefit of accelerated tp gain. The occasional nasties like Hydra, Cerb, F80 boss, etc may have TP frequently to begin with, but KC certainly adds enough to it to be a hindrance.

When spreading on kill all or certain specified families, it's frequently the difference between getting tped or not. Some of these are irrelevant, but others like chariots/flayers slow you down using meds, or worse, leave you bound if you already used vicars and don't have panacea. Let's not forget that you're instant paraed on every mob with ice spikes, while most of the 2h jobs will kill them before it goes off once.

I don't think RNG has a noticable negative effect on an average run with 5 other good members, but it's certainly not going to help you win the occasional dickbag one. And let's face it, those are the ones that matter.. at least a third of the runs I see could have been easily won 5man.

However, if you do go RNG to nyzul, you should definitely pick up panacea/remedies(so should everyone, but I rarely see it mentioned on forums so there you go).
 Bahamut.Wakabo
Server: Bahamut
user: Wakabo
By Bahamut.Wakabo 2012-09-05 04:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I went full retard admitting I forgot there is only 8 attack rounds.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-09-05 04:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Wakabo said: »
I went full retard admitting I forgot there is only 8 attack rounds.
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but it's nothing to do with the 8 attack cap. If you double/triple/quadruple attack, that's how many times your kraken will swing. As a result, DA/TA gear will lower the average amount of swings(as it averages 3.82 swings/round allegedly). QA will increase average(very slightly), but thaumas still results in an overall negative.
 Phoenix.Bohgo
Server: Phoenix
user: Bohgo
By Phoenix.Bohgo 2012-09-05 05:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I use this in Abyssea to farm Dark Rings sometimes for fun. It can be difficult to one shot a mob with Wildfire so I'll use /SAM, Atma of the Scorpion Queen, Persistent Predator, and Hell's Guardian. Accuracy isn't ever an issue on these mobs.

Byakko's Haidate have STP augmented on them.
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-09-05 05:42:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, the first suggestion I have is to sell the kraken club and buy an annihilator. That will increase your damage more than any kraken club setup you can come up with. At least upgrade an armageddon if you really want to hold onto the club.

I did nyzul on RNG without a kraken club. It's pointless to have one as far as I'm concerned. Like raurin noted, on 50% of the mobs you will be WSing as soon as you engage. You should be able to one-shot every mob except for some skeletons/mousses (depending on how many mobs the floor has). I'd say I'm surprised more people don't take RNGs, but I've honestly never partied with one that knows what they're doing.

I actually put KC in my wanted list because I thought it would be a useful tool for nyzul. Ended up 15/15 before I even had the chance to buy it.
By ZeroAssassin 2012-09-05 06:49:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, the first suggestion I have is to sell the kraken club and buy an annihilator. That will increase your damage more than any kraken club setup you can come up with. At least upgrade an armageddon if you really want to hold onto the club.

I did nyzul on RNG without a kraken club. It's pointless to have one as far as I'm concerned. Like raurin noted, on 50% of the mobs you will be WSing as soon as you engage. You should be able to one-shot every mob except for some skeletons/mousses (depending on how many mobs the floor has). I'd say I'm surprised more people don't take RNGs, but I've honestly never partied with one that knows what they're doing.

I actually put KC in my wanted list because I thought it would be a useful tool for nyzul. Ended up 15/15 before I even had the chance to buy it.

So the real question is, are you still going to buy a KC?
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-09-05 06:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Kraken's real shining star use at the moment is WHM me lee!
 Shiva.Pheare
By Shiva.Pheare 2012-09-05 09:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm actually working on annihilator, and the Kraken club isn't mine to sell anyway. Just out of curiosity why would you say Armageddon is greater than Gandiva with kraken? I would actually think Gandiva may even pull ahead of annihilator in those situations you would use kraken.

I've heard overall that Jishnu's as a WS will outparse wildfire/coronach/last stand(especially in abyssea; excluding physical resistant mobs inside/out). If your main DPS is coming from just WS(and whatever the club would provide) then spamming the highest damage WS would be best.

I assume spamming ranged attacks is beastly damage during TP phase with annihilator(with high base damage, 2.5x damage proc), but if we're talking specifically kclub setup you're not going to be doing that. Also, the draw of no enmity ws's isn't really that important because if you're just focusing on trash mobs, they'd be dead before you have time to be in danger.

Again, I plan on finishing Armageddon and get an Annihilator, but just curious why you say those are better for K club? I'm not familiar with these setups so maybe I'm just missing something.

Phoenix.Bohgo said: »

Thanks, I'll try that combo out when i finish armageddon!

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

Thanks so much for this post, I didn't even think about needing the extra attack. You and Bohgo make it sounds like accuracy is already capped in abyssea so I'll just focus on that set.
 Valefor.Kiaru
Server: Valefor
user: Shiyo
By Valefor.Kiaru 2012-09-05 09:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Annihilator(with last stand) destroys gandiva so much I don't even consider gandiva a real weapon anymore.

Last stand is basically double the damage of jishnu's. I was averaging 5k last stands without cor/brd buffs and YCB when I'd normally average like 3k-4k jishnu's with RCB + brd/cors buffs ;/

No idea what last stand does on harder NM's with brd + cor buffs though, I'm not allowed to ever be in the DD party as ranger...
[+]
 Shiva.Pheare
By Shiva.Pheare 2012-09-05 09:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Kiaru said: »
Annihilator(with last stand) destroys gandiva so much I don't even consider gandiva a real weapon anymore.

Last stand is basically double the damage of jishnu's. I was averaging 5k last stands without cor/brd buffs and YCB when I'd normally average like 3k-4k jishnu's with RCB + brd/cors buffs ;/

No idea what last stand does on harder NM's with brd + cor buffs though, I'm not allowed to ever be in the DD party as ranger...

Thanks much. I didn't know the difference was this big. Also out of curiosity was this inside or outside Abyssea?

I think maybe all the stuff I was reading saying JR was better was for abyssea(or maybe i was just reading it before merit ws released D:)? Maybe with atmas+crit rate inside abyssea JR will win? or if this was inside abyssea maybe I was just plain mistaken. xD

also /comfort. That's actually only my biggest fear about making annihilator, is not being able to use it. :(
 Valefor.Kiaru
Server: Valefor
user: Shiyo
By Valefor.Kiaru 2012-09-05 09:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I've used my Annihilator once and I've had it for months. Unless the people/LS you play with like RNG, I don't suggest making it. I really wish I made a mandau instead.

Outside abyssea, I'm guessing gandiva wins inside(no idea, but it's very strong inside). Jishnu's really cannot compare to last stand outside, I want to say armageddon using last stand might even beat jishnu's + gandiva outside tbh.
[+]
 Phoenix.Bohgo
By Phoenix.Bohgo 2012-09-05 13:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

You won't need extra attack in Abyssea in your tp set. Focus on getting 25/26% haste, then stack as much store tp as you can. The goal is to spam as many weaponskills as your can. Accuracy won't be an issue on regular mobs and if for some reason you are fighting something highly evasive, use a stalwarts.

Remember, Velocity Shot will slow your attacks down. With Wildfire, you don't need it. With Jishnu's, you may want to use it, but try not using it and see if there's a significant decrease in your damage. For example, 20 weaponskills of 2000 damage is more damage than 15 of 2600 damage. Weaponskilling faster will also result in more self skillchains.

The funnest thing I've done in this game is use a Kraken Club with haste and double marches in Abyssea. It's comical how fast you can weaponskill.
 Fenrir.Moldtech
user: Moldtech
By Fenrir.Moldtech 2012-09-05 13:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Without reading the thread due to a lack of caring, just by the title alone my response is....

OBSOLETE!

No more than a toy now, now it is no more than a tool to feed a target more tp than nessecary. Just my opinion though.
 Bismarck.Angeleus
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2012-09-05 13:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Moldtech said: »
Without reading the thread due to a lack of caring, just by the title alone my response is....

OBSOLETE!

No more than a toy now, now it is no more than a tool to feed a target more tp than nessecary. Just my opinion though.

This^

It's about time people starting to see this as a toy now..
 Phoenix.Bohgo
By Phoenix.Bohgo 2012-09-05 14:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Pheare said:
I've been wanting to try out kraken rng for just random stuff. I know it's only really good for weaker mobs, but that's good enough for me to want to make a gear set for it. xD
Pretty sure they realize it is a toy and are simply looking for advice on how to to maximize the excitement.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-09-05 15:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

People screaming OBSOLETE are always the ones who could never afford one anyway. Great for proccing, just not for RNG.
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-09-05 15:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranged attack delay update put kraken rng in the trash for most content. The only time it has arguable use anymore is in situations where you have near capped delay reduction (think embrava/marches + haste).

Really wish people would stop saying kraken rng is not amazing for Nyzul who havn't tested it out themselves. Never been on a run with anyone who didn't immediately recognize it's ability.