Corsair Job Adjustments - Answers To User Suggest.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Corsair Job Adjustments - Answers to User Suggest.
Corsair Job Adjustments - Answers to User Suggest.
First Page 2 3 4
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-08-10 20:59:07
Link | Quote | Reply

08-10-2011 09:32 AM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Greetings corsairs of Vana’diel! I bring you some information that may perhaps be useful in waging war with your mortal enemies the ninjas because you know…Yar-har-fiddle-dee-dee, you are a pirate~! *ahem* sorry. Without further ado…

Quote:
In the concept there were a lot of ideas about rolls, but what are you thinking for marksmanship?
Since marksmanship is of course an important aspect of corsair, we are looking into this, but first we would like to make adjustments to Phantom Roll and Quick Draw. Once Quick Draw’s usage is improved, we would like to perform marksmanship adjustments to go along with it.

Quote:
Add direct enfeebling effects to Quick Draw.
How about something like this?

-If there is no enfeeble effect on the enemy, it adds a weak enfeebling effect.
-If there is an enfeebling effect on the enemy, it enhances that effect.
-If you stack Quick Draws, the effect is enhanced.

We are looking into enhancing effects through merit points.

Quote:
Add new shots for Quick Draw.
Currently we do not have any plans to add new shots. However, we are continuing to look in the direction of adding new stats to the existing shots.

Quote:
Make it so the effects of Phantom Roll scale with your level.
We are planning to revamp this, but since there are a lot of rolls to consider we are going to need some time to examine it. Also, since the increase in effects from the job bonuses are quite potent, we’d like to look into making adjustments to better utilize this.

Quote:
Reduce the recast times for Phantom Roll/Double-up.
Since we just implemented a reduced recast time when rolling an XI for Phantom Roll in the last version update, we would like to monitor the balance. If we reduced the timer for Double-up any more, it would affect animations and effects, so we are not thinking of reducing it by a lot.

Quote:
Add an ability that makes the AoE roll effects into a single target effect.
For the current Phantom Roll system, making this possible for Double-up is extremely difficult. In order to do this we would have to totally revamp the entire Phantom Roll system, so unfortunately we will not be able to do this. However, there is a possibility to create an ability like Tenuto that will limit the effect to yourself.

Quote:
Revamp the effects of the current rolls. (Especially Gallant’s Roll and Choral Roll)
We will be revamping the effects of all rolls. (Gallant’s Roll is by no means weak, but it’s tough to use because of the resist associated with reflect-related damage.)

Quote:
Since there is a chance to Bust when rolling, make roll effects stronger than songs or other similar effects.
Though it will depend on what you roll, the effects of Phantom Roll are already set to be slightly stronger than songs. However, especially for rolls with a static effect value, we are planning to make adjustments because there are cases where revamps will be necessary to go along with the future level cap increases.

Quote:
Organize Puppet Roll, Drachen Roll, and Beast Roll into one roll.
If we were to organize all the pet enhancing effect rolls into one, each effect would have to become weaker. We believe it would be better to make adjustments to the effects so that you can choose the appropriate roll depending on the situation.

Quote:
Make the effects of rolling an XI and the effects of unlucky/lucky numbers noticeable.
We are planning to make further changes to the effect when rolling an XI. We do not have any plans at the moment for changing the effects of lucky/unlucky numbers any further.

Quote:
We would like the stats of hexaguns to have different properties than guns and crossbows.
We would like to explore what unique characteristics would be good.

Quote:
Give Wildcard a different use besides aiming to simply reset two-hour abilities.
Though it’s tied to luck, the effect when Wildcard hits is really big, so we do not have plans of trying to top this.

Quote:
Lower the price of the dice sold by NPC vendors.
Taking into account the balance with other magic scrolls, we have no plans at the moment to make any significant reductions in price. Since the method of obtaining dice is limited to NPC shops only, there is no real aspect where they are circulated amongst players, but the plus to this is that you can buy them at a stable price.
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-08-10 21:13:44
Link | Quote | Reply

For all the dice from 1-75 it costs a bit more than 1m to buy them all.
FFS, why can't they just make a good handful of them if not all questable?

But I am optimistic about improvements to Quick Draw and Hexaguns in the future. Hopefully they'll make Corsair's marksmanship skill worthwhile in the future as well.

Curious to how roll effects will be revamped. Especially for Gallant/Choral. If anything Chroal should be something completely different IMO.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-08-10 21:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally found the enfeebling part to be interesting, and I agree that they should be questable.
 Siren.Kittyhawk
user: Kittyhawk
By Siren.Kittyhawk 2011-08-10 21:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

As a COR, I disagree with a few things within SE's post.

Quick Draw adding an enfeeble is acceptable, however, they need to make it visible in the chat log whether or not the freakin' effect even stuck. I hate using an ability such as a WS with added enfeebles that you have no clue whether or not the effect landed with the WS, for example.

Regarding Phantom Roll recast, its nice that they added the timer reset upon rolling an XI.. but how about -15 seconds on the recast timer if you land on a lucky, but adding 15 if you hit the unlucky?

Phantom Roll recast timer is ludicrous anymore. Given with how many NMs enjoy spamming dispel/dispelga/buff wipes and absorbs... Some NMs are just impossible to keep rolls up (see: Carabosse.)

IMO, rolls should be placed on the bottom of the dispel priority list at the very least.
By Artemicion 2011-08-10 21:27:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing about the properties of Hexaguns is that they have low delay and low to medium base damage similar to the fashion of Crossbows. However, due to the expensive nature of bullets, it becomes rather troublesome on both inventory and your gil pouch to stay on your A-game for DPS with a Hexagun type weapon.

What would really rock for Corsair is perhaps a self buff or roll of sorts that gives a potent trait that works similar to Ninja-Tool-Expertise but for ammo.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-08-10 21:32:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, 1mil for all of your "spells" is pretty cheap (especially with the easiness of making gil nowadays). Heck, Raise III is more than 1mil alone.
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-08-10 21:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Another interesting idea is something that works sort of like the opposite of a Luzaf Ring. Basically something to narrow the AOE for close-knit situations so nobody gets an unwanted buff, yet are forced to stay in close proximity for whatever reason.
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-08-10 21:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Honestly, 1mil for all of you "spells" is pretty cheap (especially with the easiness of making gil nowadays). Heck, Raise III is more than 1mil alone.

Yeah, but back then it was an expensive and time consuming factor in the job considering Corsair already paid out of the *** for bullets, guns, cards, food, tools, etc. etc.
SE is simply 5 years late to acknowledge that, and due to the nature of abyssea and gil gain, it goes neglected.

Though I simply wish for questable dice not for the sake of saving gil but adding more lore and depth to the background of Corsairs.
They truly do have a cool story to tell.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-08-10 21:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

A lil more about the ammo:

08-10-2011 10:29 AM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

We already put in a request to the dev. team regarding ammunition-related concerns. However, instead of holding up the release on these posts, we chose to proceed with them and update with further details after the fact.

I'm sure they will reveal more about it soon.
By Artemicion 2011-08-10 21:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Well at least they know ammo is an issue, especially if they plan to release more prolific hexaguns in the future. Triple shot is awesome but doesn't help that case.
What would be more helpful is something like a universal inventory pouch specifically made for ammo and doesn't count against your gobbie bag. Similar to what WoW did.
 Siren.Gunshy
user: Siryn
By Siren.Gunshy 2011-08-10 21:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick draw enfeebs could be interesting (Fire shot with addle plz >.>)

As for hexaguns they will always be meh because of how QD damage is calculated but I do wish it wasnt the case.. perhaps making Hexaguns give you a 3rd QD charge would be viable or maybe a natural chance triple shot.

I'm not sure what they are saying about improving QD before marksmanship though alot of new Cors these days dont even bother making ranged attack sets, and just focus on QD which i think is a shame.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2011-08-10 23:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

the cost of die isnt the issue, its the cost of bullets.
Die - one time buy
Ammo - gil sink.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-08-11 00:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Gunshy said:

I'm not sure what they are saying about improving QD before marksmanship though alot of new Cors these days dont even bother making ranged attack sets, and just focus on QD which i think is a shame.

Because ranged attack DPS is completely ***these days on COR and totally not worth the effort.

The best bullet COR can use still has lower base dmg than lv 50 RNG bullets, and supply is extremely low on certain server to spam it.

Gun takes 8 sec to fire(according to the delay formula on wiki page), and while you're waiting for it to fire MNK already punched the mob 10 times, dealing 10 times more dmg.

If you're fighting some of the higher eva mobs such as VWNM(which is probably one of the few events you'll want to use this job anyways), you'll ended up require way too much racc buff/gear to land shots reliably, and probably still seeing a lot more miss than A rank melee jobs and RNG, while they spent way less money on it.

Tbh the only real purpose to use /ra is really just to get TP with a vulcan's staff now, and with regain from roll/gears and TP from QD,COR doesn't really need to shoot stuff to get TP anyways. Instead of spending that much amount of money on subpar DPS, may as well just keep rolling and try to get a No.11 to start a serious of No.11 chain for everyone else in pt, or just help cure with /mage, probably benefits the pt way more than subpar DPS that costs way more money than every other DD job.

Yes I know a lot of DD CORs gonna hate it, but I still have to say this, shooting stuff on COR with a gun(put QD/WS beside, just /ra dmg), is probably the most inefficient way to deal dmg in this game atm.
[+]
 Cerberus.Irohuro
Server: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-08-11 01:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

oftentimes i'll be lucky to get just 1 shot off before a mob dies, i usually just leave my RA gear to save space nowadays
 Siren.Gunshy
user: Siryn
By Siren.Gunshy 2011-08-11 01:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I understand that's why but doesn't that kinda bolster the fact they should be addressing it first, rather than just abandoning it.

It's like NIN throwing all over again :V
By Artemicion 2011-08-11 01:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I have an interesting idea.
Would be cool if there was a JA that for it's duration would expend ammo upon the use of Quick Draw for additional damage.
Would obviously require some strange formulating, but I think that would be a nice alternative solution for extra damage without jumping through hoops to do the redundant act of improving what is seldom used now anyways.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-08-11 09:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Another interesting idea is something that works sort of like the opposite of a Luzaf Ring. Basically something to narrow the AOE for close-knit situations so nobody gets an unwanted buff, yet are forced to stay in close proximity for whatever reason.

This is an outstanding idea that would avoid having to revamp the roll mechanics. Well played.

On costs:
Dice are one-time purchases equivalent to spells, etc. Suck it up, buttercups.

Bullets would be cheaper if materials were more readily available. Oberon ingots are rarely on the AH, and goldsmiths are hard to find. Making them is cheap. It's just an accessibility issue.

Personally, I don't want to see costs lowered too much relating to corsair. Keeps the pool of bad players in my job a little smaller.

It's a great job that fills a very specific niche. Enhancing the current abilities/uses would be great, but even ranger is getting shafted right now with ranged attack. Why further push to make corsair more ranged-specific? If you want that, play ranger and as they enhance ranger, you'll get what you want out of that.

Corsair is a support job. It’s versatile. Mid-grade ranged attack and melee and great buffs. What I've always loved about it is that it's a damaging supporting job instead of magic. You buff, then go at it with the melees vs. buffing and then hanging back and curing or whatever like a bard.

Straying too far from that -- in either the direction of support OR damage -- throws off what I view as the best aspects of the job.

We're not going to outpace rangers on pure damage. That would be entirely inappropriate. Those are the benchmarks. I’m personally just thankful for Armageddon. That ranger can use Armageddon with us, to me, indicates as close as we’re going to get in matching rangers on pure damage output. They’re not – nor should they – increase our damage beyond what a ranger is capable of putting out. And we already do better with Armageddon than a ranger does. In practice, anyhow. So I’d expect that gap to grow, not shrink.

Just my thoughts on the subjects.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-08-11 09:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, yes. Shooting for your TP like an old-school ranger is horribly, horribly inefficient. Don't do that.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-08-11 09:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
I have an interesting idea. Would be cool if there was a JA that for it's duration would expend ammo upon the use of Quick Draw for additional damage. Would obviously require some strange formulating, but I think that would be a nice alternative solution for extra damage without jumping through hoops to do the redundant act of improving what is seldom used now anyways.

I don't know that I care for this. Quick Draw is pretty powerful as it is. As much as we'd love to see our unique JA do more, we do have to consider balance here.

Instant-use, MP-less magic damage on demand that doesn't feed TP to a mob is already awesome. Doing much more to it will make things pretty borked.

Edit: For example, I think we're going to see more things along the lines of the AF3 feet. The abilities making things better for everyone around us by a little bit vs. making things more awesome just for us. The AF3 enhancement on Quick Draw makes things more awesome for us -- especially w/ Armageddon -- but also can help casters around us/etc.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-08-11 09:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

What I want for COR:
1. Give us some bullets that are rng only cause our options...how to put it...suck. - (well they said we'll have news about this soon, so let's see.)

2. Tenuto. We don't need Pianissimo at all, we just need a way to hold a roll we like onto us. - (they got it right, thank god.)

3. Increase PR and QD recast merits to 5 seconds per upgrade. - (I really hope it'll be part of the merits revamp.)

4. For future merits give us QD potency :3

5. Ffs switch Bounty shot and Triple shot...plundering is part of a pirate's job, and it's also a support ability which is exactly what cor does: benefits the party. Multishooting is rng's job! How the hell did you invert these two abilities?!

For the rest, QD enfeebles sounds good, though I'm not very optimistic and think it'll be such a crap tier of enfeeble that it'll be unnoticeable to say the least <_<
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-08-11 09:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
3. Increase PR and QD recast merits to 5 seconds per upgrade. - (I really hope it'll be part of the merits revamp.)

4. For future merits give us QD potency :3

Dreamy ideas. Might be too broken though. Especially the QD recast. 800-100 damage on demand every 30 seconds (Not to mention the TP gain!) is crazy.

Edit: In Abyssea, obviously, on the damage numbers. But you have to consider it throughout the game, not just looking forward to outside-of-Abyssea.

Quote:
5. Ffs switch Bounty shot and Triple shot...plundering is part of a pirate's job, and it's also a support ability which is exactly what cor does: benefits the party. Multishooting is rng's job! How the hell did you invert these two abilities?!

Hardcore agree.
 Odin.Spccdog
Server: Odin
user: spccdog
By Odin.Spccdog 2011-08-11 09:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I love cor im glad voidwatch is bringing back its usefulness. i miss the old days of hnm where i was cor 90% of the time then abyssea came out and cor is left out pretty much.
[+]
 Sylph.Kiaru
Server: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-08-11 10:12:28
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Afania/Irohuro

If mobs are too weak/dying too fast to /ra them you're supposed to melee with a joyuese for TP with 20-25% haste gear and switch to rattk/racc/agi gear for WS <_>

Or mab/agi/whatever for wildfire.

On stronger mobs like vwnm's you stand back, roll, load up on rattk/racc gear and shoot
 Quetzalcoatl.Lucieus
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Falsetto
By Quetzalcoatl.Lucieus 2011-08-11 11:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said:

Straying too far from that -- in either the direction of support OR damage -- throws off what I view as the best aspects of the job.

Couldn't agree more with everything you've said! It's all very-much spot on.

I also have no idea why people are complaining that Dice need to be bought from an NPC and cannot be acquired from elsewhere... I'm so GLAD that it's this way; I have to go through so much pain just to get Attachments on my PUP, or certain spells on my WHM (Raise 3 is almost a million alone!). I hope any new Rolls which are released for 91-99 can be instantly bought from Chichiroon.

Also... am I the only one who thinks something like a "Group 3" merits are going to be unveiled soon? They mentioned adding something about enhancing Quick Draw to our merits, and they've also mentioned improving Red Mage's en-spells through merits.

I just can't help but think this all has to do with a new Group of merits to choose from come the level cap increase.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-08-11 11:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

New merits were announced, but I always imagined they'd save them for lv 99 cap. Who knows though.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-08-11 11:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I have to go through so much pain just to get Attachments on my PUP, or certain spells on my WHM (Raise 3 is almost a million alone!). I hope any new Rolls which are released for 91-99 can be instantly bought from Chichiroon.

Precisely. If you've only played COR as your experience with obtaining spells, I can see why you might feel it's rough, but I know for blm alone -- a job I leveled entirely for Maat's Cap and VERY occasional ls use -- I spent more on spells than I have on dice.

And the ones I farmed up I would have rather spent the gil on because the obtainment method on some of those older spells is ridiculous. Stonega II (I think it was?) and that Antica NM? Forgetaboutit. Lemme buy 'em from the NPC in one quick painful pinprick.

On the merit issue, I'll be surprised if they drop a Category 3 merit pool before 99. But I also bet 99 rolls around pretty quick. Like, Christmas at the very latest.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2011-08-11 11:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Make Oberon ingots drop in abyssea, suddenly cor becomes a lil more affordable.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-08-11 11:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said:
Make Oberon ingots drop in abyssea, suddenly cor becomes a lil more affordable.

I love this idea as both a corsair and an alchemist.

I worry about what their ideas are on ammo changes because that's about all my alchemy is good for these days.

Slightly off-topic, but I must say that I thoroughly despise synergy, to be honest. Oberon's are nice because they require very little synergy skill and I get more skill as I go with them, but it's such a time-consuming, annoying system. Let me freaking use the items with the crystal and tab out of window until my crystal cooldown is burnt.

Don't make me play your stupid crafting mini-game. >:(
By Artemicion 2011-08-11 14:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I seem to be frequently misunderstood on my gripe about purchased dice.
So allow me to rephrase and clarify for those who might mistaken my stance for being a cheapskate.

What I wanted was variety, not for the sake of gil, but for the sake of involvement. Though most would see it as troublesome and time consuming, having quests involved for progression in your class (similar to AF) is an invigorating experience to me as long as it remains (relatively) relevant to the class background at hand.

Though the ToAU missions gave most of the background on Corsairs, it would be refreshing to have additional perspectives and in depth explanations for being a Corsair yourself.

The problem I have is not price, but rather methods of acquisition being restricted to a NPC
(especially when they are kidnapped from half-assed Besieged runs).
 Asura.Ezekial
Server: Asura
user: Ezekial
By Asura.Ezekial 2011-08-11 14:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said:
A lil more about the ammo:

08-10-2011 10:29 AM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

We already put in a request to the dev. team regarding ammunition-related concerns. However, instead of holding up the release on these posts, we chose to proceed with them and update with further details after the fact.

I'm sure they will reveal more about it soon.

This is the only thing i care about!!
First Page 2 3 4