Corsair Gear Help.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Corsair gear help.
Corsair gear help.
First Page 2 3
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2011-05-15 00:19:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Just come back to the game recently after a long break, i am a pretty old school player and i had 3 level 90 jobs, DRK THF and PLD, i had been saying for a long time before my break that i would level COR to friends, but just never got round to it, i even had a full set of Afv2, -1 hands and both limbus items to +1 an AF piece.

So i figured i would join the bandwagon, and abyssea burn my corsair from 32 up to high level, managed to get it up to 88 in a long day of opening chests and keeping a party going for over 12 hours.
Feeling like i thrown myself in the deep end though, tried my best to really read up on what a COR can do, it seems to be the most complex job i played so far in this game.

I am looking to find out some information, i am guessing i should really get my Corsair AF, and +1 my AF COR hat? Also i should +1 my Afv2 hands when i get that chance im sure.
The only gear i seem to have is a full set of AFv2 and my Joyeuse which i was using on my PLD, i am wondering where i should go from here, i do have a set of Aurore gear i could use, also got a little bit of money behind me so i could buy somethings from the AH.

Should i buy a Verus Knife +1 and dual wield that with my Joyeuse for now?
I have an Alltdorfs earring, should i finish the set off and get the Willheims?
What other pieces of gear should i be aiming to get? Of course i aint looking for anything overly difficult to get at the moment, specially gear in Abyssea, i would rather get my Corsair looking presentable before really trying hard to get AFv3s and rare/ex gear from NM in abyssea.

What gear sets should i be aiming for? Should i start working on a MAB set? Like trying to get a Novio earring and moldavite earring? I got Rovers gloves months ago from the weapon in Xarcabard, is it actually any good?
I have so many questions, would be awesome if some experienced pirates out there can steer me the right way, thanks for any tips.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2011-05-15 00:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Because i leveled THF and it is my second job, i got some gear which COR can use, whether or not they are really useful i am not sure, here is a list of all the possible weapons and armour i can have at the moment.

Weapons: Joyeuse, Verus Knife +1, Yataghan
Ranged: Miramar Gun (Just bought this, but i am 2 levels off wearing it)
Artifacts: Full set of Commodore, -1 Hands, upgrading the Gants tomorrow.
Head: Optical Hat, Aurore Beret
Body: Aurore Doublet, Antares Harness
Hands: Aurore Gloves, Rover's Gloves
Legs: Aurore Brais, Oily Trousers
Feet: Aurore Gaiters
Neck: Peacock Amulet
Waist: Swift Belt, Scouter's Rope, Virtuoso Belt
Back: Nothing, i do have Boxers mantle but i know that is no good.
Rings: Rajas Ring, Iota Ring
Earrings: Nothing, I have All job earrings like Brutal, Etheral and Altdorfs, that is it.
 Caitsith.Himsa
Server: Caitsith
user: Himsa
By Caitsith.Himsa 2011-05-15 01:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't wear anything you mentioned in this entire thread please.

If you have a burned cor you should probably worry about ranged accuracy so you can hit stuff and skill up.

You won't need MAB unless you plan on using leaden salute or getting an armageddon unless you really wanna see a miniscule difference in your quick draws in which case you should be using elemental staves.

the only af you will use at 90 is both head pieces. Maybe gants but meh.

get your empyrean +2 gear first and pick other random ***up on the way. Hell, +1 is better than everything you suggested, and since you have THF leveled should be no problem to get.
[+]
 Caitsith.Himsa
Server: Caitsith
user: Himsa
By Caitsith.Himsa 2011-05-15 01:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, don't sub nin!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-05-15 13:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Himsa said:
Don't wear anything you mentioned in this entire thread please.

What you just said here doesn't help at all...

Cerberus.Kylos said:
Just come back to the game recently after a long break, i am a pretty old school player and i had 3 level 90 jobs, DRK THF and PLD, i had been saying for a long time before my break that i would level COR to friends, but just never got round to it, i even had a full set of Afv2, -1 hands and both limbus items to +1 an AF piece.

So i figured i would join the bandwagon, and abyssea burn my corsair from 32 up to high level, managed to get it up to 88 in a long day of opening chests and keeping a party going for over 12 hours.
Feeling like i thrown myself in the deep end though, tried my best to really read up on what a COR can do, it seems to be the most complex job i played so far in this game.

I am looking to find out some information, i am guessing i should really get my Corsair AF, and +1 my AF COR hat? Also i should +1 my Afv2 hands when i get that chance im sure.
The only gear i seem to have is a full set of AFv2 and my Joyeuse which i was using on my PLD, i am wondering where i should go from here, i do have a set of Aurore gear i could use, also got a little bit of money behind me so i could buy somethings from the AH.

Should i buy a Verus Knife +1 and dual wield that with my Joyeuse for now?
I have an Alltdorfs earring, should i finish the set off and get the Willheims?
What other pieces of gear should i be aiming to get? Of course i aint looking for anything overly difficult to get at the moment, specially gear in Abyssea, i would rather get my Corsair looking presentable before really trying hard to get AFv3s and rare/ex gear from NM in abyssea.

What gear sets should i be aiming for? Should i start working on a MAB set? Like trying to get a Novio earring and moldavite earring? I got Rovers gloves months ago from the weapon in Xarcabard, is it actually any good?
I have so many questions, would be awesome if some experienced pirates out there can steer me the right way, thanks for any tips.

Welcome back, playing COR is very different from how it used to be, at least in abyssea.

AF2 head and body are still good for JA macros, hands are good for snapshot macros unless you got snapshot augment from w hands. Feet is good for Evisceration(one of the strongest WS for COR in Abyssea) if you have acc issue when you WS, although it can be replaced with something else. Theres no point to +1 AF2 hands since it's only a snapshot macro and you can QD in Schutzen Mittens. For limbus pieces, I actually suggest you +1 AF1 feet first, it's still a decent slug shot piece, AF1+1 head is only a QD piece now and that's only if you'd rather use AF3+2 to QD on other slots.

Get AF3+2 full set. All of them enhances your new roll, plus if you QD in two or more of them you get a chance to enhance your QD dmg by 3 times.

That set earring is *** hard to get, and it can be replaced with something else easily, and pretty much only good for slug shot when your fSTR capped now, so I wouldn't invest my time in it if I were you.

Oh and get atmas, no matter how you gear you won't have good performance without good atmas.

If you're DDing in Abyssea, some of the the strongest WS is Wildfire, Leaden salute and Evisceration, depending on your atma setup. Wildfire is empyrean WS, so you probably won't get that for a while. Leaden salute and Evisceration is easier to get you just need latent break. The atma you used depends on what's the main WS you're using in Abyssea. For example Wildfire is Lone wolf/Ultimate/Smoldering sky(Or sea daughter), Evisceration is RR/VV(or GH)/Apoc(or alpha&Omega), Leaden Salute I rarely use, so not sure what's the optimal setup, Cosmos/Ultimate/Baying moon(or sea daughter?) is what I've heard. The SJ you're using also depends on what WS you'll be using, /NIN or /DNC if you're using Evi with daggers etc.

Verus Knife +1 is actually ok to main hand if you're using Evi, but Yataghan can actually get better augment with crit-hit +. Don't use any head piece you listed, haste +5% or haste +8%(if you can get) head piece only XD Ranged is ok to use that for now, or you can try the dominion Ops augment ones until you finish Magian guns. Hands you can just buy 3% haste hands for TP, and QD in Schutzen Mittens. Aurore legs is ok until you get Ocelot(your goal is to cap haste for your melee set, so the higher you can get the better) Brutal and PCA is good for meleeing, Aurore body is ok for meleeing, others can be replaced.

Basically you need:
1. Melee TP set:try to get haste as high as possible, and joy/Mkris/Twilight knife/good augmented Yataghan.

2. Evisceration set for Abyssea:DEX/acc and attk/DA TA stuff like Eponas...you have THF so you'd know XD

3. QD set:MAB/Elemental staff and Obi/STP/AGI(Although STP is more important than AGI for QD IMO)

4. Wildfire or Leaden Salute set:AGI and MAB

5. Slug shot set: STR/racc/rattk/AGI/STP

6. Gears for your JAs such as AF2/AF3+2/Luzaf's ring
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-05-15 13:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

nice sets mab, though curious about the demon ring in the mab set, is it augmented?
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-05-15 13:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Baying Moon/Kirin/Apoc is nice for a melee COR using Leaden Salute.

The problem of using elemental WS and meleeing is that without elemental staff and full elemental WS atma setup, the WS dmg is going to be gimp, plus gimped melee dmg, you ended up buffing both WS dmg and melee dmg, while both of them falling behind.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-05-15 13:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Technically I don't have one yet lol, but if I did it'd be something like >this<, hopefully.

damn that is nice, lol
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-05-15 13:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Prob better using Cosmos/Ultimate/Baying moon.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-05-15 13:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Ragnarok.Afania said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
The problem of using elemental WS and meleeing is that without elemental staff and full elemental WS atma setup, the WS dmg is going to be gimp, plus gimped melee dmg, you ended up buffing both WS dmg and melee dmg, while both of them falling behind.
I'd hardly call quick TP and 2-2.5k Leaden Salutes falling behind >_>

Even if you want to melee for quick TP
I still don't think apoc atma helps much ><

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Technically I don't have one yet lol, but if I did it'd be something like >this<, hopefully.

You can also QD in STP rings to reach 100% TP faster whenever you QD. Not like a little bit of MAB is going to make a huge difference.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-05-15 13:45:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, why would you use Kirin over Gnarled Horn? Offers more AGI as well as crit hit rate and counter which is going to do a hell of a lot more then macc/int.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-05-15 13:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're looking for a hybrid melee/ele ws set, GH would be better over all, plus im sure with cruor buffs and the abyssites, your resist rate shouldnt be that bad really.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-05-15 13:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

im curious about the set bonus bonus for full +2, is it not worth it?

also, you could probably put desultor tassets in place of denali for QD with mab/macc augments

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-05-15 14:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

all im using mine for atm is movement speed, so i have mine free to make for a QD set, seeing as we never do nyzul anymore =/
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-05-15 14:01:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Ragnarok.Afania said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
I'd hardly call quick TP and 2-2.5k Leaden Salutes falling behind >_>

2~2.5k is average Evi WS dmg, but melee hit can crit for 150~250 dmg per hit, without RR atma I don't think dagger can hit that hard, so yeah it's falling behind XD
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-05-15 14:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Irohuro said:
im curious about the set bonus bonus for full +2, is it not worth it?

also, you could probably put desultor tassets in place of denali for QD with mab/macc augments

Personally I'd QD in QD ACP body and Schutzen Mittens for faster TP gain no matter what, but that's just me...

From what I've heard full set has 12% proc rate, so it's up to you to decide if you want more proc rate or more TP I guess
 Cerberus.Zandra
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-05-15 14:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

QD

RA

Melee

Whoever said the MAB earring aren't worth it, should be shamed into a corner.

SE has made Drastic chages to the way we play CORSAIR over the past few months. Right now I would stake out that the AFv3 MAB/snapshot dagger is the best weapon you can melee with hands down. The best ATMA setup I've found is Sea Daughter, Ultimate, and GH. The TP gain is AMAZING. It can almost be a Perma-Meditate.
[+]
 Cerberus.Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-05-15 19:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

btw, GL trying to get a forban cape, unless you do WoE for it, it's pretty impossible to find =/
 Siren.Kuz
Server: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-05-15 20:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Irohuro said:
btw, GL trying to get a forban cape, unless you do WoE for it, it's pretty impossible to find =/

That makes me sad :(
Like 4 on the AH on Siren. 17K average
 Cerberus.Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-05-15 20:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

its 1k-5k on cerb, but theres been 2 on in the last few days, and the last one was bought 30mins before i had gotten on today
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2011-05-15 22:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

These replies are great, its making me feel a long way off though being anywhere near a good COR lol.

Because of my long break and the fact that i was hating Abyssea before i left (yes i know.. had this argument with a few players) i never took the time to go out and get atmas, so i think i have a total of 2 atmas so far.
The only thing i have done in abyssea is get drk thf and pld Afv3 heads to +1, and done some exping, thats about it.

I do have a Walahra Turban, i sent it to my mule because i felt i had no use for it anymore, i guess my COR will have some use for this, unlike my other jobs lol.
Also someone said there is no point in upgrading my Afv2 hands to +1?? I already traded it in because i got the -1 hands from Dynamis Buburimu over a year ago, i might as well upgrade it to clear a space :)

Having a hard time right now on deciding what to do, there is a lot i could go out and do, like getting Atmas, getting my mega boss clears so i can fight Shinryu, working on my Ultimatum so i can get Redemption scythe on my DRK, going out and getting seals for my 4 jobs.

Seen as Paladin seems to obsolete at the moment, i put that on the backburner, it seems like there is no point in furthering this anymore then i have, i don't enjoy it as much as my other 3 jobs anyway.

SO this is what i am thinking of doing...

1) Get good atmas for DRK THF and COR
2) Start beating mega boss in Abyssea so i can get Twilight gear.
3) Quest my AF pieces, upgrade the feet to +1
4) Get a Moldavite earring, Hecates earring i see requires beating Rani, not completely sure if i will be able to get that any time soon, also i do not have a sea ls to get a Novio earring.
5) Start collecting seals for my AFv3 pieces, for DRK THF and COR
6) While doing all this, i could cap Marksmanship on my THF, it is already over 250 skill, also i have Marksmanship merited to 8/8 after the latest updates to merits.
7) Buy a Forban Cape, Volley Earring, Vision Earring, Heed Ring, Cerb. Mantle +1, and possibly a Stormsoul Ring?
8) Try to get a Yataghan augmented to replace Verus Knife +1
9) Begin working on a Mayhem +2?
10) Try to get many of the rare/ex gears, like Loki Kaftan, Schutzen mittens, Ocelot gear, Aquilline Belt etc.

A lot to do, and this is only for Corsair, i got a lot of new gear i could get for my DRK and THF too :P
By Himsaa 2011-05-15 23:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Empyrean +1 armor
2. Atmas
3. Empyrean +2 armor
4. r.accuracy accessories and AGI gear that are buyable
5. skill up
6. other rare/ex r.acc and AGI gear.

If you're going to do a trial weapon, make a small group of friends and do Armageddon. It'll take less time than mayhem +2 to finish and is far superior.

If you check my page right now as of this post you can see what I weapon skill in except replace the dagger with vulcan's staff.
Use something similar for Leaden salute until/if you get wildfire. If you are stuck with slugshot you'd want to replace any MAB piece for ranged acc. or AGI, obviously.
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2011-05-15 23:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So I've been leveling cor lately, and I just thought it was interesting the Atma you guys were saying to use. I tried ultimate/hell's guardian/cosmos with m kris, but actually was more impressed by ultimate/cosmos/sea daughter with pluto's staff (10 tp regain with a 11 tactician's roll is fun). Using pluto's also made it so I could use wizard's roll instead of samurai which I was using for the m kris. Are you guys using baying moon and kirin because you don't have these atmas or am I missing something?

Was hitting 2.8k on birds in miseraeux using ascetics tonic at level 86 cor/rdm if anyone is interested.
[+]
First Page 2 3