Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Suicide
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
By Raborn 2011-02-16 20:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Recently had a friend commit suicide, Valentine's Day to be exact.
What's the deal with our youth today?
Is it really that bad?
What causes us to mentally *** block ourselves into believing we can't escape the way we currently live?
What makes us believe things will never change or get better?
Personally I'm just plain tired of this. I'm fed the *** up with it.

So give me your thoughts on suicide / experiences with people who have died on you and how it impacted you.

Personally I'm pretty shook up by it, his parents and sister are devastated. His niece and nephew are too young to understand at this point but will be impacted by it.
Why take everything you have when all you and those around you have is to lose?
[+]
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-02-16 20:43:14
Link | Quote | Reply

My own mother...
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-02-16 20:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I've known three people who committed suicide. The first I didn't know very well, had never talked to him in fact. My best friend in high school, Amber, was friends with him. She felt responsible afterwards because she had been talking on the phone with him just a few moments prior to his suicide. She felt she should have been able to see it coming and stop it. He killed himself because he had gotten a girl pregnant and didn't feel he could support the woman and their child, and his twin had recently died in a car accident. He never recovered from the loss of his twin. Amber never recovered from the loss of the suicider, she took far too much responsibility for all her friends after that.

I didn't know the second one very well either. He was a couple years behind me in high school. He had a steady girlfriend for several years, straight A's, and a family who loved him dearly. He and his girlfriend got in a fight one night and she broke up with him. He got drunk and shot himself with his dad's gun over the loss of the girl.

The third I knew very well. I worked with him closely for about a year. He was one of my supervisors, and we worked in a small area together daily. He was molesting the 5 daughters of one of our other coworkers as well as the daughter of our boss. When he was found out, he hung himself rather than go to jail and be subjected to the justice the other inmates would have given him. I was sad at the first two suicides. They were young and their deaths were tragic and could have been prevented. The third suicide made me very angry. He knew what he was doing was very wrong. He completely destroyed the childhood and innocence of 6 very sweet little girls, all of whom I knew and meant something to me. He was too irresponsible to handle the consequences of his actions, so he took the coward's way out. I always wished he would have gone to prison and gotten what he deserved. It's harsh of me, but I can't be nice all the time and certainly not to child molesters.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-02-16 20:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

kids are emotional and gullible...
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-02-16 20:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I've known 3 people that have killed themselves as well. Unrequited love was the reason in all three cases, I believe.

The last one shook me up though, Rob, who was always a nice guy. I was sad, and then pissed off because it made me sad.

Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-02-16 21:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that a large part of it is the physiological (psycho-biological) changes that occur in the human brain when clinical depression sets in. Because of these releases of certain neuro-transmitters, it becomes very hard for someone to "shake off" depression or suicidal thoughts, let alone be reasoned out of them (purely on a counseling basis or a "talking it out" with concerned friends.)

That is not to say we aren't all individually responsible for our own actions (or inactions) regarding our own life and safety and welfare, or how it impacts others. But it does explain a lot why people can go for years dealing with bouts of depression despite having positive influences, supporting family and friends, and even sporadic successes in life that one would think would tend to get someone out of a downward spiral.

I'm certainly not advocating medication as a be-all/end-all solution, as deep depression is so pervasive that it touches all aspects of a person's sense of self-worth and self-image let alone their personal life and relationships, but it is certainly difficult to get out of a mindset when one's own body isn't producing enough of these neuro-transmitters to allow for rational thought.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Lolserj
Server: Bahamut
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-02-16 21:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

one of my friends was really close to killing himself until me and some other people i knew were able to talk him out of it

he had a glass bottle that he had broke and had it up to his throat and was crying a lot

if we had not been there i think he may have killed himself

it's because his whole family made him feel like he was worthless, and he wasn't exactly mentally stable so it was a bad situation

Cerberus.Starr
Server: Cerberus
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-16 21:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is this politics or religion?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-02-16 21:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Imagine if all your life society has told you that you will never be good enough.

That all your life you've been told that your talents and joys are useless.

What makes life worth living when the world is so against your very "soul" at that point? I feel like that seems to be why people do it. They've lost everything that lets them hold up any longer.

Some people crack under that pressure; most don't.
[+]
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-16 21:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people should do the world a favour
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-16 21:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had several people I know supposedly attempt it... was kinda clear that they weren't even doing it just to get peoples attention but just to make people feel sorry for them.

The best part was when I roomate who already did with aleve lol didn't show up for work one day. So they take me out to go help them get him. And they find me on my comp with a giant (500 pills) bottle of excedrin and freaked out. Then I told them it was mine cause I need them and boy did I get weird looks.

But anywho I think people tend to ignore it too much. Most the time they just wanted to someone to pay attention let them know it might get better blah blah. But we have become a rather insular society so most people are actually kinda rather alone even in a crown
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-02-16 21:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:

The best part was when I roomate who already did with aleve lol didn't show up for work one day. So they take me out to go help them get him. And they find me on my comp with a giant (500 pills) bottle of excedrin and freaked out. Then I told them it was mine cause I need them and boy did I get weird looks.

I can sorta understand this sentence but... what?
[+]
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-16 21:57:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I know a few girls who've "tried", always the girls.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-16 21:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Stuff happens. Whoops I meant to say they found him at my comp lol. Though really should've been able to tell from the context
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-16 22:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Cerberus.Starr said:

Some people would call that statement from you, ironic.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-16 22:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-16 22:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Stuff happens. Whoops I meant to say they found him at my comp lol. Though really should've been able to tell from the context
Quit downing so many excedrin, you are sounding delirious.
Chronic migraines... was taking like 12 a day. I was delirious at the time too... but that might have been the working 16-20 hours a day thing too
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-02-16 22:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Yeah I don't think so >_>
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-16 22:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
Cerberus.Starr said:

oh ***ryan "no u" was his witty retort, what next
Who are you again?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-16 22:13:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Yeah I don't think so >_>
Oh no I put I instead of My too. Yep impossible to figure out I roomate = my roomate. Or that I meant he was on the comp when I talk about how they took me out of work to get him or that I had to tell them it was mine not his... seriously mess up 2 words in 60 and you can't read it? Well I guess if english isn't your first language...
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8