First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Asura.Yunalaysca
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-12-21 08:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
good god yuna thats atrocious
yeah i was gonna go out seal farming for my dnc body, went to see if there were any on ah when i saw this
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-12-21 08:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't read the 8 pages of responses yet, but in reply to the OP:

You have a point. Abyssea has brought some negative issues into the FFXI playerbase, especially for players who are new to the game (presuming there actually are still new players). Abyssea-burning lowbie-jobs to 90 can result in some vastly under-merited and under-skilled characters who may or may not have all appropriate magic spells for their job(s).

However, I think the overwhelming majority of players view Abyssea as a welcome and necessary change to FFXI. Seriously, who really *enjoyed* camping Nidhogg or KB for hours on a daily basis against cheaters and botters? Did anyone really ever get excited for Salvage drop rates on lvl 35 pieces? Would you really still want to be leveling your jobs 75 --> 90 fighting Greater Colibri under Level Sync status?

And it's not "easy mode" as some might complain. It just isn't "massive time-sink boredom/disappointment mode" anymore like it was in the "old days".
In Abyssea, players can solo/duo, or "low-man" in groups of 3-4, use a medium-sized party/alliance for increased chance to trigger !! weaknesses, or use a large-scale alliance and dominate multiple NMs in the same zone simultaneously. And, regardless of which method one chooses, one can have fun, acquire practical loot/rewards, and (in general) avoid HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE bickering and drama in "competition" with other players for NM claims, etc.

tl/dr?
Abyssea's "pros" outweigh the "cons", period. If you want to stare @ Darters in Dragon's Aery, you're free to go do that still. I'm afraid there will be fewer people there these days to respond to lame-*** /say taunts and "conversations" ... but hey, that means fewer botters, too.
Bottom line: "old" FFXI is over. Pining for the "glory days" won't bring it back, and it isn't coming back.
However, "new" FFXI is far more enjoyable, you just have to adjust your thinking and expectations.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
Server: Leviathan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-12-21 09:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:

And it's not "easy mode" as some might complain. It just isn't "massive time-sink boredom/disappointment mode" anymore like it was in the "old days".

It is. Enter farm pops, pop kill, repeat until your magian moogle decides to give you your ***. You replace a grind by another grind. Oh and technically, exp was a grind only prior to astral burns, which have been occuring for years.

summary : exp is not more a timesink now than before.

Quote:

In Abyssea, players can solo/duo, or "low-man" in groups of 3-4,

Outside too. Just because you started the game when abyssea came out doesn't mean it didn't work like this? Anything from ENM, salvage, nyzul, liambus, dynamis can be low manned and have been low manned for YEARS. Stories of people duoing their duelist's chapeau since 2005, people soloing qiqirns in salvage since 2006, people 10 manning dumbamis, soloing limbus floors, trioing fafnir. I mean wake up, it has always happened.

summary : abyssea is hardcore.
By Selkhet 2010-12-21 09:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said:

1)I'd be surprised if any of the players who started when Abyssea came out actually has a map of crawlers nest, or knows what a stone monument is. Or has leveled a craft, fished, leveled in any place other than Abyssea past level 30... has walked up to the throne room or has done dynamis. Hell, if they even have any of the CoP missions done.

2)There was an important progression leveling up to 75. You got to experience so much of the game, so many zones. Done so many activities and met so many people. The people, seriously. Anyone who has leveled before level sync knows this, that when you leveled you leveled with the same group of people (kinda), but you saw a lot of people and teamed up and made friends. Instead we are practically forced to visit 9 areas of the game and that's it.

Everything else is just so empty... :\

I'm not going to quit over it, but its just aggravating when this game was so fun once upon a time, and now its so much...smaller.

First: a good deal of players don't have and never will have the map for CN. You can open it up on the computer right next to you or the one you're playing on. That said, its a long *** quest, but it did give good gil upon completion. :) (back in the day) First paragraph I quoted cuz a lot of people haven't, nor will they ever do those things. People are lazy.

Second paragraph: This has been replaced by doing magian trials. You are going all across the world meeting new people and teaming up with them, cheering them on and helping each other out. Especially since the people you meet you are likely to run into several times. It's honestly a good deal more positive than leveling because it pays more to team up. I've made a lot of friends recently doing the more lengthy trials.

Also on top of those things~ The game IS empty. I am always struggling to make parties of any level because everyone and their cat wants to abyssea at level 30+ People don't have pride in what they do anymore. The worse thing about abyssea is that no one says "this job is my main" and can prove they have skill and have put effort into it. They just say, "Hey, here is the platter of jobs I have." I miss when you would enjoy meeting people that played your job and talking about how fun it is instead of /checking their gear and feeling like you had the bigger ***.

I understand the necessity of having several jobs to use to help out your friends, but I miss when you and a group of your close friends all had ONE job you loved and played above all others and you made that setup work, no matter how insane it was. C'mon FFXI. Let's be crazy again. :D
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-21 09:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

It is. Enter farm pops, pop kill, repeat until your magian moogle decides to give you your ***. You replace a grind by another grind. Oh and technically, exp was a grind only prior to astral burns, which have been occuring for years.

Quote:

Outside too. Just because you started the game when abyssea came out doesn't mean it didn't work like this? Anything from ENM, salvage, nyzul, liambus, dynamis can be low manned and have been low manned for YEARS. Stories of people duoing their duelist's chapeau since 2005, people soloing qiqirns in salvage since 2006, people 10 manning dumbamis, soloing limbus floors, trioing fafnir. I mean wake up, it has always happened.

You're just mad because you have bad gear and no-one wants to party with you.
By Rustytiger 2010-12-21 10:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Selkhet said:
Siren.Kalilla said:
1)I'd be surprised if any of the players who started when Abyssea came out actually has a map of crawlers nest, or knows what a stone monument is. Or has leveled a craft, fished, leveled in any place other than Abyssea past level 30... has walked up to the throne room or has done dynamis. Hell, if they even have any of the CoP missions done. 2)There was an important progression leveling up to 75. You got to experience so much of the game, so many zones. Done so many activities and met so many people. The people, seriously. Anyone who has leveled before level sync knows this, that when you leveled you leveled with the same group of people (kinda), but you saw a lot of people and teamed up and made friends. Instead we are practically forced to visit 9 areas of the game and that's it. Everything else is just so empty... :\ I'm not going to quit over it, but its just aggravating when this game was so fun once upon a time, and now its so much...smaller.
First: a good deal of players don't have and never will have the map for CN. You can open it up on the computer right next to you or the one you're playing on. That said, its a long *** quest, but it did give good gil upon completion. :) (back in the day) First paragraph I quoted cuz a lot of people haven't, nor will they ever do those things. People are lazy. Second paragraph: This has been replaced by doing magian trials. You are going all across the world meeting new people and teaming up with them, cheering them on and helping each other out. Especially since the people you meet you are likely to run into several times. It's honestly a good deal more positive than leveling because it pays more to team up. I've made a lot of friends recently doing the more lengthy trials. Also on top of those things~ The game IS empty. I am always struggling to make parties of any level because everyone and their cat wants to abyssea at level 30+ People don't have pride in what they do anymore. The worse thing about abyssea is that no one says "this job is my main" and can prove they have skill and have put effort into it. They just say, "Hey, here is the platter of jobs I have." I miss when you would enjoy meeting people that played your job and talking about how fun it is instead of /checking their gear and feeling like you had the bigger ***. I understand the necessity of having several jobs to use to help out your friends, but I miss when you and a group of your close friends all had ONE job you loved and played above all others and you made that setup work, no matter how insane it was. C'mon FFXI. Let's be crazy again. :D

I wholeheartedly agree in terms of missing the old times when there was more pride in the jobs one does. It's become uncommon when you will encounter someone like that, who is actually good at their job. It is doubtful that anyone here is bad at thier jobs, if everyone here as been playing as long as I have and has taken the time to get more familiar with said jobs he or she has on thier belt.

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2010-12-21 10:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If people can really complain about being able to something highly redundant a lot quicker than in previous years, I think the problem lies outside of Square Enix.

Let's face it, healing colibri parties did jack *** to "teach me my job" as a Red Mage. What did was the first week that I was in a good shell.

Shitty players will always suck until they try and get better. It's simple as that.
 Cerberus.Rayik
Server: Cerberus
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2010-12-21 10:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

The cycle continues...
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-12-21 11:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

Quote:

Never had trouble getting invites or joining endgame linkshells because I dont suck and my gear was and is still top of the line (except weapons), however considering you bought gil i'm going to guess that is because you gear quality was too gimp to get invites ?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-21 11:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

Quote:

Never had trouble getting invites or joining endgame linkshells because I dont suck and my gear was and is still top of the line (except weapons), however considering you bought gil i'm going to guess that is because you gear quality was too gimp to get invites ?

I don't think so tim. Someone who spent a small time in abyssea would easily have better gear than your gear. It's not 2009 any more Gimpchan.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-12-21 12:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

* Abyssea gears gives RDM more damage on nukes, but rdm don't nuke except solo or duo [in which case it's unlikely to speed up the fight ... 15 nukes with lvl75 gear, 15 nukes with lvl90 gear, hmmkay not worth inventory +40], and more magic accuracy, but rdm don't need more magic accuracy [even less in ashittea I heard], they also give them more mind which is completely useless considering the + stats you have that make you cap dmind naked or almost and considering everything is either week to the point you don't debuff it or is immune.

* To monks they don't give more haste, they give slightly more attack a little kick attack rate and that's all pretty much, for a whole 5% damage boost and that's because you make it a point not putting a fail job like COR in the pt which would cap pdif and make the 5% => 1%. All this apparent damage boost for a huge loss in tanking ability, making the non usukane sets sidegrades on a parser and usukane set top of the line on tanking. That's what you get for giving melees perma STR and crit boosts/low eva mobs.

I would not have the best gear probably but still top of the line. Not like it matters, right ? All the [hypocrite] nerds of this thread don't care about being top, #1 etc, or so I hear. Apparently when you show them the gear give them so little upgrades they get mad. The real boost are atma and they don't show on gear.

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-21 12:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
* Abyssea gives RDM more damage or nukes, but rdm don't nuke except solo or duo, and more magic accuracy, but rdm don't need more magic accuracy, they also give them more mind which is completely useless considering the + stats you have that make you cap dmind naked or almost.

* To monks they don't give more haste, they give slightly more attack a little kick attack and that's all, for a whole 5% damage boost and that's because you make it a point not putting a fail job like COR in the pt which would cap pdif and make the 5% => 1%. All this apparent damage boost for a huge loss in tanking ability, making the non usukane sets sidegrades on a parser and usukane set top of the line on tanking. That's what you get for giving melees perma STR and crit boosts.

I would not have the best gear probably but still top of the line. Not like it matters, right ? All the nerds of this thread don't care about being top, #1 etc, or so I hear. Apparently when you show them the gear give them so little upgrades they get mad.

You don't have Atma.

Also RDM fails.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-12-21 12:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM doesn't fail as much as jobs that are not € {RDM WHM MNK WAR}, just like at level 75. Also did you buy gil to pay someone to farm your atma because you suck too much at killing stuff ¿ I bet you did.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-21 12:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
RDM doesn't fail as much as jobs that are not € {RDM WHM MNK WAR}, just like at level 75. Also did you buy gil to pay someone to farm your atma because you suck too much at killing stuff ¿ I bet you did.

At least I don't use upside down question marks.
By Rustytiger 2010-12-21 12:59:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

Isn't there a grammer nazi thread for things like this? lol :-P
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-12-21 13:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Rustytiger said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

GRAMMAR NAZI-ING IS EVERYWHERE. :|
By Rustytiger 2010-12-21 13:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Laffter said:
Rustytiger said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
GRAMMAR NAZI-ING IS EVERYWHERE. :|

I know, I'm just busting chops lol :-p
 Asura.Yunalaysca
Server: Asura
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-12-22 01:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
icwutudidthar
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2010-12-22 01:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

Quote:

I don't think so tim. Someone who spent a small time in abyssea would easily have better gear than your gear. It's not 2009 any more Gimpchan.
give him a break, he killed Garuda. ...oh, Snap!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-12-22 09:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Abyssea is hardcore according to Pchump guys. I got 4 balance jewels, 4 balance stones, and 2 balance coins this week. So almost two full +2 upgrades.

I spent 3 hours farming the key item sets and 30 minutes killing CC, Sobek, and Amulhuk. So in 3 hours and 30 minutes I got more of a reward than like 6 months of Einherjar.

ABYSSEA IS SO *** HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!

Idiot.....
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8