My thoughts
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Asura.Yunalaysca
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-12-19 04:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Spamming provoke on pld/war for 75 lvs doesn't teach you shout about tanking on pld/nin, either. What's your point?

When you get max level you'll learn the things you need for max level. Most of the ***you learn along the way isn't even applied anymore in most cases.
learn along the way being a job ability or player "skill"?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

And before someone says "oh you shouldn't need to research" how many of you did missions and quests without using wiki, allah, a forum, or even asking a friend on how to do it? I'd say maybe 1% of the game's population, if that.
[+]
By Artemicion 2010-12-19 04:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I kinda enjoy my old-man syndrome from the old days.
I remember when RNG was perhaps the most powerful job in the game.
I remember pre-TP nerf days.
I remember when Maat was actually rather difficult.
I remember when wearing full AF meant you were *** awesome.
The sense of adventure and progression over time is long since gone since the days of astral burns and Abyssea, but alas, that ultimately comes down to your choice and attitude. But it sure as hell aint easy with the general population having their nose on the grindstone for one aspect of the game.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-19 04:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I know you enjoy the game, but you have to admit it's more stagnant than it used to be?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zanno
Server: Ragnarok
user: zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-12-19 04:49:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:
How the hell are they going to know about the things we did when we lv 5 years ago, if no one tells them?

By researching it?

When people quit the game, the data and all their progress doesn't magically disappear.

Quote:
Dont you find it even the slightest bit sad that some people have AF 3+2 gear but have no idea where gusgen mines is?

Do you find it sad that we're not made to use a slide rule before learning how to use a calculator?

Quote:
But I guess some people, like me, played the game because they truely enjoyed it, while others just played it to get to be the first to get x level, or be the first to get x gear, grow their epeen an inch by doing 0.00002% more damage than that n00b over there.

I enjoy the game just fine, tyvm. Again, I don't even think either of you are listening to what I'm saying. Anyone who WANTS to do that stuff can. I'm simply saying it's not required, where you two are heavily implying that it is.

I haven't said you need to grind levels to learn a job.

I said that by having abyssea 30+ a lot of people (who aren't you) are missing out on big chunks of the game.

Sure no one is telling them they can't do that stuff, but who would they do it with when everyone's in abyssea?
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2010-12-19 04:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The knowledge you learn leveling from 1-89 contributes to the knowledge you learn and replace at 90 and doing level 90 activities. Abyssea does not provide that knowledge. Otherwise your learning the skills while trying to figure out how to play the game in the first place.

A good player doesn't need to go through the the grinding process necessarily as long as their experiences, knowledge learned, and "skill" already contribute to that job. They can still become a good player at that job. I'll agree with you on that~

But there is such a difference between all the jobs in the game that I can't agree with you on it entirely on every job. Its just a difference in opinion.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Spamming provoke on pld/war for 75 lvs doesn't teach you shout about tanking on pld/nin, either. What's your point?

When you get max level you'll learn the things you need for max level. Most of the ***you learn along the way isn't even applied anymore in most cases.
Either or. You don't operate in the same fashion in lower levels as you do in higher levels. Learning to gear? Defense is actually worth a *** at lower levels, hence turtle plds. Care to try that on a high end NM. Doesn't work at all, etc.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2010-12-19 04:51:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
I remember when wearing full AF meant you were *** awesome.

or RSE lol
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 04:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Sure no one is telling them they can't do that stuff, but who would they do it with when everyone's in abyssea?

The people who want to.

I've done plenty of things that I've wanted to that wasn't considered popular or what others wanted to do.

If you want to do something, do it. If not, don't.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-19 04:52:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
I think some people look at xi through magical rose-colored glasses of ye old "twas a hard game". If Abyssea made it boring for you, you were probably bored anyway, or getting there. I'm not implying Abyssea is super duper hard tho.. I dunno.

Maybe when you change the reasons you play it from the reasons you originally liked it for, it makes the game lose it's magic. Yeah, Sky doesn't have a point when you've been rocking it for years. Why would it. You went and did everything, now you're upset there's not MOAR. The game will get smaller, if you try to "get everything", which seems like the point of a game to me.

Seems so weird..

Boring is the wrong term, I think stagnant is better. Abyssea is so small and so samey it just feels like everything is the same.
[+]
By Artemicion 2010-12-19 04:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't even purchased abyssea yet, however, I am kind of excited about essentially turning our guys into super heros with all these boosts, atmas and whatnot. FFXI before hand used to be a relatively slow paced game emphasizing greatly on team work and patience (especially with JPs). Abyssea flipped that on it's back, but at the same time doomed the game into being stuck in one corner/aspect.
If they could apply similar concepts and rules in old-school zones and still making it low level friendly, I can see FFXI gaining a much more wide-spread target audience and player base coming in despite being nearly 9 years old.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2010-12-19 04:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Boring is the wrong term, I think stagnant is better. Abyssea is so small and so samey it just feels like everything is the same.

Everything has the same colors >.> its annoying. Even though all the areas are completely different...

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-19 04:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Everything has the same colors >.> its annoying. Even though all the areas are completely different...

If you're reskinning areas at all, something is horribly wrong. It's part of the reason I felt cheapened by WotG, but that had a buttload of content and at least some original areas.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2010-12-19 04:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

PS2 limitat...wait wrong thread >.>;
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2010-12-19 04:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

And I didn't mind WoTG that much, I always wanted to know that part of the story and was an cool way to experience it. Of course they are going to use the old areas but I liked how the world was shaped then, a lot of areas weren't even areas you know. And some of the areas back then aren't areas now or were renamed. I just love history i guess.
By Artemicion 2010-12-19 04:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's my general point of view when it comes to Astral Burns and Abyssea grinds.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-19 04:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said:
And I didn't mind WoTG that much, I always wanted to know that part of the story and was an cool way to experience it. Of course they are going to use the old areas but I liked how the world was shaped then, a lot of areas weren't even areas you know. And some of the areas back then aren't areas now or were renamed. I just love history i guess.

That's why I wasn't too bad with WotG, at the end of the day it had relevance.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-12-19 05:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Either or. You don't operate in the same fashion in lower levels as you do in higher levels. Learning to gear? Defense is actually worth a *** at lower levels, hence turtle plds. Care to try that on a high end NM. Doesn't work at all, etc.
no you dont operate the same way, you kinda evolve from it. with the duration of fights lately you can generally get away with auto-attacking mobs to death, spam cure 4, make a /p macro that says gtfoverhere from protect and shell, flash a mob to get hate etc etc etc. but the people that have better "skill" are those that have had face time with each and every single skill otw to 90 and how it directly affects the out come. people are followers, they see what people use often and they try to mimic it, same goes for how you gear. eventually you will have nothing but new people left that mimic'd older people but have new people mimic them and ask them questions and they dont know how to *** answer it, because in more cases than not: people mimic more than they research.
By Artemicion 2010-12-19 05:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
I have no idea what most of the story lines are. {Hundred Fists} {Enter Key}.

Someday I'll go back and read them..

Goblin Footprint and City Bards!
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2010-12-19 05:01:53
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL XD that's awesome
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-12-19 05:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
I have no idea what most of the story lines are. {Hundred Fists} {Enter Key}.

Someday I'll go back and read them..
hahaha i did that with the abyssea storylines and NPCs
 Ragnarok.Zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-12-19 05:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:

The people who want to.

I've done plenty of things that I've wanted to that wasn't considered popular or what others wanted to do.

I don't know if my points are totally passing over your head, or if you just enjoy arguing.

Either way it's a lost cause. Just because this game turned out to be better for you, doesn't mean it turned out to a better game.

You seem to assume that new players even know what options they have.

Even if they went to wiki and did research, it's far from the same.

Go to wiki and read about some long annoying quest, and it might not be very apealing compared to 100k exp per hr.

Remove the option to get 100 k exp per hour (for someone around lv 50ish), and the quest might be apealing to them. After they've finally finished the quest, got their reward they might even feel that they've accomplished something. And who know, maybe actually doing the quest was a hell of a lot more fun than reading about it on wiki. And who knows, maybe they learned something new (that doesnt nessesary makes them better at their job). Even if they just had to visit a new zone or 2 (that they simply just found pretty) that they didnt know existed, or would have never visited unless they did that quest, it would have been a good thing.

Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 05:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
people mimic more than they research.

Again, the shitty players, lol
[+]
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-12-19 05:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:
people mimic more than they research.

Again, the shitty players, lol
if you give people to take the easy route, they will take it. there is no "forcing" to learn anymore is what i was getting at.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-12-19 05:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zanno said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:

The people who want to.

I don't know if my points are totally passing over your head, or if you just enjoy arguing.

Either way it's a lost cause. Just because this game turned out to be better for you, doesn't mean it turned out to a better game.

You seem to assume that new players even know what options they have.

Even if they went to wiki and did research, it's far from the same.

Go to wiki and read about some long annoying quest, and it might not be very apealing compared to 100k exp per hr.

Remove the option to get 100 k exp per hour (for someone around lv 50ish), and the quest might be apealing to them. After they've finally finished the quest, got their reward they might even feel that they've accomplished something. And who know, maybe actually doing the quest was a hell of a lot more fun than reading about it on wiki. And who knows, maybe they learned something new (that doesnt nessesary makes them better at their job). Even if they just had to visit a new zone or 2 (that they simply just found pretty) that they didnt know existed, or would have never visited unless they did that quest, it would have been a good thing.

wiki is wrong 50% of the time anyways, im constantly having to have it get corrected.
 Ragnarok.Zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-12-19 05:05:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said:

haha love it
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-19 05:06:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The good players will take the initiative. Nobody should have to be forced.

Teachers just grade your tests in college. They don't force you to do daily assignments or homework. You take the initiative and do it to prep for the test and don't fail

Do your research here, take the initiative and don't fail.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8