Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-10-25 03:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Bismarck.Nexdeus said:
Mouse and Keyboard is a common phrase referencing towards PC game play. It is often associated with first person shooters.
Again, you come out with a opinion and not a fact about the overall game play value that influences you to play on a console. I know what PS2 game play is like for FF11, I have a PS3 with the game installed for those just in case moments(if somehow my desktop, and my laptop were to go out).

My own personal opinion varies from yours on the handling issues. A "WASD" configuration makes me feel right at home considering I've grown accustomed to it from playing FPS titles on my PC.

Now days the only thing that controllers are really superior for, are plat-formers and adventure games, example: Assassins Creed. Fighters have game pads, shooters have always been better with a mouse and keyboard, MMOs are all about the keyboard as well.
No it's pretty simple, if you want to play the game how it was designed play on a console, if you want to cheat play on a pc, and this game is 1000x more comfortable with a controller in hand, even on pc. That aside whether or not a phrase is common doesn't deter from the fact that you implied people play ffxi with a mouse, which is just ludicrous. I know what the gameplay is like on all the consoles and on multiple pcs, and i don't even have all my pc disks anymore nor care to really reacquire them because the play on it was such ***I barely could put up with it, although it was nice to have a backup when i was dual-boxing and my failbox went out.
And honestly for clarification nobody plays this game with a mouse... sure someone may move the camera with it once in awhile or try to manually select one thing out of a crowd...

but anyone who plays on PC with any type of skill knows how to fully control the game on the keyboard only... aka F1-F12 keys... and most importantly tab/enter.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-10-25 03:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Bismarck.Nexdeus said:
Mouse and Keyboard is a common phrase referencing towards PC game play. It is often associated with first person shooters.
Again, you come out with a opinion and not a fact about the overall game play value that influences you to play on a console. I know what PS2 game play is like for FF11, I have a PS3 with the game installed for those just in case moments(if somehow my desktop, and my laptop were to go out).

My own personal opinion varies from yours on the handling issues. A "WASD" configuration makes me feel right at home considering I've grown accustomed to it from playing FPS titles on my PC.

Now days the only thing that controllers are really superior for, are plat-formers and adventure games, example: Assassins Creed. Fighters have game pads, shooters have always been better with a mouse and keyboard, MMOs are all about the keyboard as well.
No it's pretty simple, if you want to play the game how it was designed play on a console, if you want to cheat play on a pc, and this game is 1000x more comfortable with a controller in hand, even on pc. That aside whether or not a phrase is common doesn't deter from the fact that you implied people play ffxi with a mouse, which is just ludicrous. I know what the gameplay is like on all the consoles and on multiple pcs, and i don't even have all my pc disks anymore nor care to really reacquire them because the play on it was such ***I barely could put up with it, although it was nice to have a backup when i was dual-boxing and my failbox went out.
And honestly for clarification nobody plays this game with a mouse... sure someone may move the camera with it once in awhile or try to manually select one thing out of a crowd...

but anyone who plays on PC with any type of skill knows how to fully control the game on the keyboard only... aka F1-F12 keys... and most importantly tab/enter.
knowing how to and actually being comfortable are two entirely different things, a controller just makes it 100x easier, unless you were multiboxing and just needed macros, but for typical running around and movement, a controller just works better.
but yeah I know that, but that's not what they were suggesting, just saying. Using a keyboard for extended periods of time is worse for your hands than a controller, typically.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-25 18:19:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
short of the failbox's faults i've had smoother gameplay on it and ps2/ps3(ps2 engine) than on pc. The computer had more than enough power to play the game, just it doesn't run well, the game was designed for a console, that's just how it is.

No. The game runs great on a good PC. You must not have known how to configure it properly.

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Bismarck.Nexdeus said:
I don't think you set your game up the correct way then. PC > Consoles for this game. You can get the game to look amazing and run smooth with the proper configuration. Windower is a must though, running it via the official channels is lame in comparison.
you're right you don't think, this game on the pc sucks. Unless you want to use cheats, then go ahead.

Sorry to break it to you, but this game is better on PC.

As for Windower:

Windower is a project that strives to bring many positive enhancements to the game. Windower is not attempting to hurt any other players' gaming experience. The goal is to make the game more enjoyable and enhanced in the areas that the PS2 is holding the game back.

You might have had more of a point in your "cheats argument", if windower was a tool that was limited to only a few people.

However, Windower is a tool that anyone can download and use on their PC. Lots of people use it, and for good reason.

Let's not get into how this whole website(ffxiah.com) was made, and how it gets its AH information. (Not to mention that the admins here were involved in the development of Windower and some of its plugins too.)

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Bismarck.Nexdeus said:
just because you want to cheat on a game doesn't mean others do. Playing with a controller gives you much better handling anyway and I know nobody who plays this game with a mouse, even when they do play on pc.
edit: also afraid of technology? lol this made me laugh, no I just don't find it necessary to cheat to enjoy the game.

The "cheating argument" is none applicable really. Truth is: the game is inferior on console. The biggest point in favor for PC is the use of windower;however, even taking out windower from the equation, you can still get better graphics and performance on a good PC.

As for the use of a controller... I personally use the keyboard for typing, and I also handle all my macros with the keyboard;however,I do use a wireless Logitec PC controller too, but I only use the controller for running/moving my character, and for using the in-game menus for some things. Works great.

tl;dr -

You're free to play on whatever system you want; however, claiming that this game sucks on PC and that it is actually better on PS2 is just wrong, such claims are ridiculous.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-10-28 02:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish i had the $$ to do this...but with FFXI instead of DAoC
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-10-28 02:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

how can you enjoy the game like that?
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-10-28 02:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
short of the failbox's faults i've had smoother gameplay on it and ps2/ps3(ps2 engine) than on pc. The computer had more than enough power to play the game, just it doesn't run well, the game was designed for a console, that's just how it is.

No. The game runs great on a good PC. You must not have known how to configure it properly.

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Bismarck.Nexdeus said:
I don't think you set your game up the correct way then. PC > Consoles for this game. You can get the game to look amazing and run smooth with the proper configuration. Windower is a must though, running it via the official channels is lame in comparison.
you're right you don't think, this game on the pc sucks. Unless you want to use cheats, then go ahead.

Sorry to break it to you, but this game is better on PC.

As for Windower:

Windower is a project that strives to bring many positive enhancements to the game. Windower is not attempting to hurt any other players' gaming experience. The goal is to make the game more enjoyable and enhanced in the areas that the PS2 is holding the game back.

You might have had more of a point in your "cheats argument", if windower was a tool that was limited to only a few people.

However, Windower is a tool that anyone can download and use on their PC. Lots of people use it, and for good reason.

Let's not get into how this whole website(ffxiah.com) was made, and how it gets its AH information. (Not to mention that the admins here were involved in the development of Windower and some of its plugins too.)

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Bismarck.Nexdeus said:
just because you want to cheat on a game doesn't mean others do. Playing with a controller gives you much better handling anyway and I know nobody who plays this game with a mouse, even when they do play on pc.
edit: also afraid of technology? lol this made me laugh, no I just don't find it necessary to cheat to enjoy the game.

The "cheating argument" is none applicable really. Truth is: the game is inferior on console. The biggest point in favor for PC is the use of windower;however, even taking out windower from the equation, you can still get better graphics and performance on a good PC.

As for the use of a controller... I personally use the keyboard for typing, and I also handle all my macros with the keyboard;however,I do use a wireless Logitec PC controller too, but I only use the controller for running/moving my character, and for using the in-game menus for some things. Works great.

tl;dr -

You're free to play on whatever system you want; however, claiming that this game sucks on PC and that it is actually better on PS2 is just wrong, such claims are ridiculous.
game has too many glitches on the pc, playing the game without using a program to organize data in game is very different than applications that affect game balance, the game was designed for the ps2, and will always run better on it.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Server: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-10-28 03:12:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
What pc specific glitches do you mean?

I am curious about this.

(This is obviously barring windower glitches, since we're comparing xi itself.)
inb4zomgwindower

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-10-28 03:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:

I am curious about this.

inb4zomgwindower

Get away from my can of worms.

/pokes with stick

No but really I am curious.

I'd like to know aswell <_>
This game is better on PC than lolbox or PS2, alot better :P
XI without Windower = shitty
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-10-28 03:21:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:

I am curious about this.

inb4zomgwindower

/pokes with stick

OMG WIDOWER IS HAXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-10-28 03:39:17
Link | Quote | Reply

where the hell were you 3 weeks ago.
 Phoenix.Lazuras
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2010-10-28 04:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had a couple friends convert from console to PC and PC w/controller to PC w/keyboard after several weeks of making fun of them. Not a one has ever gone back. The speed and efficiency of a keyboard will out perform a controller any day, well, any day assuming the user knows how to use a keyboard.

I love my keyboard, I can't imagine ever using a controller, would be much to slow for me.
[+]
By Vittles 2010-10-28 07:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a PS2, PS3, XBox and my comp is an XPS (way more power than needed) The PS2 will render far faster than the PS3 (the PS3 is in an type of emulation mode that slows it down a bit with overhead) However my PS2 also has a Dev kit on it. The XBox is about the same speed as the PS3. (All of this I tested on my Sony SXRD TV that will split screen so we can see side by side when pops show on all the consoles) The XBox has better graphics 720P as opposed to the PS2's and PS3's 512 lines a normal TV can handle. They never ported that version to use the increased PS3's graphic capabilities.

Yes a good computer has better (hardware) capabilities, and you are able to use 3rd party programs to "improve" your game. But we know it’s a TOS issue. But the users of those programs don’t care about the TOS or they wouldn’t use them.

As for control of the game, regardless of what system (PS2, PS3, XBox, Comp) I play on, I use a game pad and my keyboard. It’s what works best for me.

The system I use most is the PS2 w/dev kit... its fast. Just my experience and opinion. But the rendering issue very telling with side by side split screen testing.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-28 07:54:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Garlend said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:
People still play on the PS2?

I still play on the ps2. 360 version sucks and i use comp for ffxiclopedia
Windower
[+]
By Vittles 2010-10-28 08:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
What pc specific glitches do you mean? I am curious about this. (This is obviously barring windower glitches, since we're comparing xi itself.)
inb4zomgwindower
Get away from my can of worms. /pokes with stick No but really I am curious.
I'd like to know aswell <_> This game is better on PC than lolbox or PS2, alot better :P XI without Windower = shitty

So you are saying its not the system its played on? Its the 3rd party program that makes it better...
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-10-28 08:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Vittles said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
What pc specific glitches do you mean? I am curious about this. (This is obviously barring windower glitches, since we're comparing xi itself.)
inb4zomgwindower
Get away from my can of worms. /pokes with stick No but really I am curious.
I'd like to know aswell <_> This game is better on PC than lolbox or PS2, alot better :P XI without Windower = shitty

So you are saying its not the system its played on? Its the 3rd party program that makes it better...

Pretty much :D
 Cerberus.Nutt
user: zuriel
By Cerberus.Nutt 2010-10-28 08:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually played this game for a year before I even heard about windower on PC and with NO joystick. I got my first 75 this year without Joystick or Windower on BLM. I purchased a Joystick recently and only use it when I'm in an alliance to scroll up to the other groups and heal. I also got my first 85 without Windower (but with the joystick)

I run using 8, 4, 2 and 6. I rest with the * key. I type some of my spells too. /ma warp <me> hahaha. I manually swap my staff to rest and the other staves are macro'd in. Sleepga2 is on ctrl 6 lol.

Windower makes the game a LOT easier but you can play without it. It's up for debate on whether Windower makes you a better player or not.

Hades.Ferusio
Server: Hades
user: Ferusio
By Hades.Ferusio 2010-10-28 08:46:29
Link | Quote | Reply

vag lolbox is pretty good for ffxi tho lack of windower macros sucks and no tp party is fail but all in all if you do your macros right and your fast with your shoulder buttons you can still play fairly well
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-10-28 08:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Ferusio said:
vag lolbox is pretty good for ffxi tho lack of windower macros sucks and no tp party is fail but all in all if you do your macros right and your fast with your shoulder buttons you can still play fairly well

I just remember how much of a pain it was with my old RDM macroes to swap everything.. I'd never go back to that >_< lol
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-10-28 09:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:

I am curious about this.

inb4zomgwindower

/pokes with stick

So what's your point? hmmm?
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-10-28 13:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:

I am curious about this.

inb4zomgwindower

/pokes with stick

So what's your point? hmmm?
You clearly didn't see what I had done there.
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-10-28 14:12:27
Link | Quote | Reply

i found it easier to play ff on my ps2 than PC. the only thing that bugged me with the ps2 is when im zerging my screen freezes and sometimes blackout, and the blackout in sea glitch that was never fixed.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-28 14:16:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Quote:
game has too many glitches on the pc, playing the game without using a program to organize data in game is very different than applications that affect game balance, the game was designed for the ps2, and will always run better on it.

Obvious troll is obvious.

This
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-10-28 14:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
knowing how to and actually being comfortable are two entirely different things, a controller just makes it 100x easier, unless you were multiboxing and just needed macros, but for typical running around and movement, a controller just works better.
but yeah I know that, but that's not what they were suggesting, just saying. Using a keyboard for extended periods of time is worse for your hands than a controller, typically.

Just because someone plays XI on PC doesn't mean they use a keyboard.
I know someone who uses a controller to play it while on PC, he prefers it, that's his choice.

I have XI on Xbox and on PC and I prefer to play it on the PC because its easier to control, target selection is faster and as someone else stated, its alot faster to pick a random mob out of a crowd with the mouse than it would be with a controller. Not to mention the fact that xbox is laggy as hell
 Siren.Eagleeyes
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-10-28 14:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jumeya said:
PS2 plays better then broken NVIDIA 400 series owners (Go go next gen)

So, probably >.>
update your drivers to the 260 build release
 Fenrir.Weewoo
By Fenrir.Weewoo 2010-10-28 14:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Oversampling on 1920x1080 background resolution = <3
 Siren.Eagleeyes
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-10-28 14:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Weewoo said:
you mean eww?

I found the texture resolution too small to justify playing at x1200
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-28 15:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:

You're trying too hard.

Siren.Eagleeyes said:
Fenrir.Weewoo said:
you mean eww?

I found the texture resolution too small to justify playing at x1200

Background resolution != overlay graphics resolution.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23