users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » FFXIV Mouse Lag Fix
FFXIV Mouse Lag Fix
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Administrator
By Cliff 2010-09-05 22:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi,

Note: This is super experimental and I have no idea if this will work for you. Even if it does, it will most certainly stop working after the next update.

I think I fixed mouse lag in FFXIV. Turns out that there is a hardware mouse mode in FFXIV, and so I wrote a patch to enable it.

The patch is available here: http://static.ffxiah.com/ffxiv/FFXIVMousePatcher.exe - For game version 2010.09.12.2000 ONLY!

Put the patcher in the same directory as ffxivgame.exe (i.e. in the main FFXIV program folder). Make sure that you have the latest game version before applying the patch (currently the patch only works on whatever the latest version is). Make sure to make a backup of the original, because the patcher won't do it for you.

After it's done, you should have smooth mouse action. This DOESN'T fix input lag caused by low frame rate, but it does make the game playable...whereas before I couldn't stand it.

Please test and let me know if it works for you. If it does I'll work on a more robust patcher that survives version updates.

UPDATE: If SE updates the game version, you will get an error 'An update error has occurred - 20524' as it is applying the patch. When this happens, simply move your backup ffxivgame.exe file back into place and run the game again. It will succeed. After that succeeds, you can re-patch with the new version of the mouse patch above.

Don't have a backup? I'll let you slide this time and provide a downgrade patch so that your install isn't broken. Next time, back up!

http://static.ffxiah.com/ffxiv/FFXIVMouseUnpatcher.exe - This is ONLY for downgrading a patched game version 2010.09.05.2000 to unpatched 2010.09.05.2000 for people who didn't make a backup.

-cliff
[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-09-05 22:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy fuggin' crap.

Problem is, they are updating it every day at the moment, will repatching it after an update fix it again?
 Cerberus.Irohuro
Server: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2010-09-05 22:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

WOW, its Cliff O.O
Administrator
By Cliff 2010-09-05 22:44:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Not yet. First let's figure out if i actually fixed it. Then we can worry about making it survive version updates.
[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-09-05 22:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Alrighty, thanks for the patcher though, I'll go give it a try now.

Edit: Worked perfectly, that's.. simply amazing.

What would we do without you guys to sort out SE's (current) failures eh?
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2010-09-05 22:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

lol... kinda funny there's a hardware mouse in the client after the director said straight out, there will be no hardware mouse XD
[+]
 Ifrit.Showmo
Server: Ifrit
user: showmo456
By Ifrit.Showmo 2010-09-05 22:53:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Patched it up & it really works. I can really see a HUGE performance increase. Thanks for making this!
 Lakshmi.Sukair
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Cliff
By Lakshmi.Sukair 2010-09-05 22:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

What's funny about this patch is there is an equivalent of 'EnableUnusableInterface(true);' in FFXIV, and I basically just changed it to false.

-Cliff
[+]
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-09-05 22:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

ty cliff! and nice work with the smiley :-) ~
Administrator
By Cliff 2010-09-05 22:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Daleterrence said:
Edit 2: Okay hit a snag, after restarting it, it will crash on the Char Select Screen... Glad I backed up the original now. =P

Looks like the lobby server is down. Can you double-check that it's not because of that?

-Cliff
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-05 23:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Now we just need the community to fix the goddamn memory leaks, since SE clearly isn't doing that. XD
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-05 23:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cliff said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:
Edit 2: Okay hit a snag, after restarting it, it will crash on the Char Select Screen... Glad I backed up the original now. =P

Looks like the lobby server is down. Can you double-check that it's not because of that?

-Cliff

Yah, lobby is down, I'm shocked.

I'll wait til the lobby is back up so people can determine if the patch *** anything up or not. Mouse lag isn't ~that~ big a deal for me right now.
 Ifrit.Showmo
Server: Ifrit
user: showmo456
By Ifrit.Showmo 2010-09-05 23:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cliff said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:

-Cliff
I rebooted the client to double check, & it doesn't crash for me. All fine on my side aside from servers being down
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-05 23:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Patrik said:
lol... kinda funny there's a hardware mouse in the client after the director said straight out, there will be no hardware mouse XD

To be fair, he said there Wasn't one, but they were "Exploring the idea". SE is no stranger to Ninja-patching basic features that should have been in 8 days before development started. So who knows? Maybe the newest patch of the boot version snuck this in there?
 Phoenix.Oumura
Server: Phoenix
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-09-05 23:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

OK so I put the patch in the "FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version" folder and ran it, but get "FILE NOT FOUND" errors so I'm assuming this isn't the "the main FFXIV folder." Could you be more specific on the file placement please? :\ (Sorry)

::EDIT::
Found it, and in turn removed my stupid.

Worked perfectly. Now if only the lobby server would come back up. >_>;
 Kujata.Erim
Server: Kujata
user: Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-09-05 23:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't normally post outside MS Paint threads that often but I have to say thank you for your efforts.

Here we are in beta and you're already making the game more enjoyable. Thanks a bunch Cliff.
[+]
By Ashrien 2010-09-05 23:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Tinkering with the client is a bannable offence- You think this is detectable in any way?
[+]
 Fairy.Victoire
Server: Fairy
user: Alexandre
By Fairy.Victoire 2010-09-05 23:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! That was my BIGGEST issue. That and for some reason i randomly cast cure when casting fire for some reason...>.>
 Kujata.Erim
Server: Kujata
user: Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-09-05 23:42:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ashrien said:
Tinkering with the client is a bannable offence- You think this is detectable in any way?

Is getting banned from an open beta really that big of a deal?
 Phoenix.Oumura
Server: Phoenix
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-09-05 23:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see how turning on a feature that's already been included (although "hidden") from the get-go would be a suitable reason for banning. It's not as if you get a one-up on others for it. Its just mouse movement. >_>;
 Fairy.Victoire
Server: Fairy
user: Alexandre
By Fairy.Victoire 2010-09-05 23:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The game is super hard to play with that shitty cursor, they should be glad someone fixed their idiot mistake so they can actually see what it's like for the testers to test the damn thing.
By Ashrien 2010-09-05 23:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Erim said:
Ashrien said:

Is getting banned from an open beta really that big of a deal?

Considering many of us linked the beta to long-time FFXI accounts.. Yes, I'd consider it a genuine worry.
[+]
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-09-05 23:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Red Bar...

Cliff...

Can't... resist...

Oh, and thanks for the Mouse thing, too. I've been using a gamepad with the assumption that the mouse was a problem on my side.
[+]
 Asura.Egobrane
user: Egobranne
By Asura.Egobrane 2010-09-06 00:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

wow, props man

I can confirm that this works 100%, just tried it myself. Even though the servers are down I was still able to browse about the title screen with the hardware mouse.

Please keep up the work on this in the future.

edit: proof of it working

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Z5gTxg3P0
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-06 00:20:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Victoire said:
The game is super hard to play with that shitty cursor, they should be glad someone fixed their idiot mistake so they can actually see what it's like for the testers to test the damn thing.

lol'd. So true. I'm not normally about "Third party modifications" but this is one of those things where If I got banned for using it, I'd be damn proud.

Works great so far by the way, lobbies still down though.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Dijital
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Dijital
By Gilgamesh.Dijital 2010-09-06 00:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be hilarious if they took down the game servers because Cliff bypassed this, haha.

Now it would suck if after this maintenance that they magically enable the hardware mouse and steal Cliff's thunder. :/
By Ashrien 2010-09-06 00:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Cliff was Windower, kinda hard to steal that thunder. (Az > Cliff > Current group > Aiweirdo)
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-06 00:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Dijital said:
It would be hilarious if they took down the game servers because Cliff bypassed this, haha.

Now it would suck if after this maintenance that they magically enable the hardware mouse and steal Cliff's thunder. :/

If they were smart and not such and arrogant company, they'd hire him as lead of "Basic human interface department"...

I mean seriously, no hardware mouse? Pretty sure Ultima Online had that.

It's hard to believe that after a quote such as (Paraphrase)"80% of the user feedback we get is in regards to mouse control" they wouldn't just send Cliff a Check for 9,001$ (Yes, Hidden DBZ joke) for solving the issue.

Inb4itsatrojan.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-06 00:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Dijital said:

Nah, even if SE fixed it themselves now. Cliff had already fixed it himself before SE got to it lol
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8