FFXI Skill
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Cerberus.Excelior
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-07-31 17:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I was bored earlier today and I had a discussion with a friend regarding skill on this game. I'm curious what people in this game generally consider to make a "skillful" player. My experience leads me to believe that there is no real "skill" on this game.

What do you think?

inb4troll
[+]
 Lakshmi.Maasahn
Server: Lakshmi
user: maasahn
By Lakshmi.Maasahn 2010-07-31 17:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

i think its more of your ability to pay attention, reaction time to whatever the situation may be, and the ability to have the proper reaction in said situation above.
[+]
 Fenrir.Luarania
Server: Fenrir
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-07-31 17:32:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Maasahn said:
i think its more of your ability to pay attention, reaction time to whatever the situation may be, and the ability to have the proper reaction in said situation above.
This effectivly.
[+]
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-07-31 17:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Luarania said:
Lakshmi.Maasahn said:
This effectily.

That would be experience, not skill don't you think? You know how to react to something when you've seen it before.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-07-31 17:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to add some knowledge of game mechanics (don't need a really deep understanding but enough so you know how to make smart gear choices for different situations).
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
user: Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-07-31 17:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who shows creativity and doesn't blindly follow everyone else just because it's mainstream are people I generally considered skilled.

People who actually think for themselves and think outside the box... Those are the skilled players.
[+]
 Fenrir.Luarania
Server: Fenrir
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-07-31 17:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not like you can control the things that truely matter, such as attacking or defending. In this case you could argue that skill and experiance are the same. Knowing something either via experiance or such as reading it and putting it to effective use is the main point right? Job Abilities can play into this, knowing when to use them and when to wait is another example. You could view it as experiance or as skill.

I may be off in my thinking, I'm kinda viewing this from a PvPish point of view where timing and knowing what you are doing will give you an edge on an opponent that doesn't.

Quick edit after seeing this one:
Lakshmi.Aeyela said:
Anyone who shows creativity and doesn't blindly follow everyone else just because it's mainstream are people I generally considered skilled. People who actually think for themselves and think outside the box... Those are the skilled players.
I would like to add on that only works if they pull it off.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-07-31 17:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
I was bored earlier today and I had a discussion with a friend regarding skill on this game. I'm curious what people in this game generally consider to make a "skillful" player. My experience leads me to believe that there is no real "skill" on this game.

What do you think?

inb4troll
Cognitive skills, muscle memory, maths.
It's pretty much the same skillset as with any game but you have to actual think about things and not zomb out(WoW),
being skillful in the game means that you do the ***that you are supposed to do when you are supposed to do it and you know why you are doing it.

[+]
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-07-31 17:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you think anybody in this game can reach the same level of skill as any one else?
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-07-31 17:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Do you think anybody in this game can reach the same level of skill as any one else?

No, each player is limited by their mental capabilities. It is no secret that some people have far better reactions and intelligence than other people.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-07-31 17:53:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:

Nope.

Personally I know I'll never be as good as certain players.
Those who think very quickly and have a good reaction-time will be better than the others.
As long as they arent retards when it comes to game-mechanics etc :P
[+]
By chichi 2010-07-31 17:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aeyela said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
No, each player is limited by their mental capabilities. It is no secret that some people have far better reactions and intelligence than other people.

lol, could also be said that someone has just a better set of macros and is using windower vs someone that isn't
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-31 17:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Intelligent gear choices, Reaction times, paying attention and thinking outside of the box are the only skills in this game.

And by thinking outside of the box, I mean being willing to experiment by using certain spells or abilities at different times to find the most effective timing.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-07-31 17:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

chichi said:
lol, could also be said that someone has just a better set of macros and is using windower vs someone that isn't

Yes, but those macros still need pressing at the right moment. Some people are better at seeing that moment than others.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-31 17:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh and using windower macros.

Seriously, if you're on a PC use windower macros.
[+]
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-07-31 17:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
Nope. Personally I know I'll never be as good as certain players. Those who think very quickly and have a good reaction-time will be better than the others. As long as they arent retards when it comes to game-mechanics etc :P

Lets use your LS as an example Kvazz. Excellence is generally the self proclaimed #1 linkshell in ffxi history according to Stanislav. Do you believe all 24 of your members are mentally gifted to the point they exceed normal players? (I'm not ragging on your LS, I'm just trying to make a point)
By chichi 2010-07-31 17:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
Nope. Personally I know I'll never be as good as certain players. Those who think very quickly and have a good reaction-time will be better than the others. As long as they arent retards when it comes to game-mechanics etc :P
Lets use your LS as an example Kvazz. Excellence is generally the self proclaimed #1 linkshell in ffxi history according to Stanislav. Do you believe all 24 of your members are mentally gifted to the point they exceed normal players? (I'm not ragging on your LS, I'm just trying to make a point)

I think that the sacs are picky who they choose to be in the ls, that's why it is so successfull
 Sylph.Siccmade
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2010-07-31 17:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Maasahn said:
Agreed.
That is what i regard as skill in this game.
Knowing how to read a situation and make the right play in response.
You could say that is from experience but the two go hand in hand.
Having a general idea of what to expect in a fight is from experience
but anticipating and reacting when ***hits the fan is where the skill come into play.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-07-31 18:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:

I'm not in excellence anymore*
Idk, they'r all very good players that's for sure.
Everybody can't have everything, but there's surely no stupid people in that LS as far as I noticed!
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-07-31 18:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Siccmade said:
but anticipating and reacting when ***hits the fan is where the skill come into play.

Agreed. One of the biggest skills in this game is how you react when something does not go to plan. Many people bury their heads in the sand and stand still. Others step up and take command of the situation.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-07-31 18:02:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aeyela said:
Sylph.Siccmade said:

Agreed. One of the biggest skills in this game is how you react when something does not go to plan. Many people bury their heads in the sand and stand still. Others step up and take command of the situation.

And some people just runs away to mpk the mages! :D
[+]
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-07-31 18:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
I'm not in excellence anymore* Idk, they'r all very good players that's for sure. Everybody can't have everything, but there's surely no stupid people in that LS as far as I noticed!

You didn't quit the game did you o.o?
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-07-31 18:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
And some people just runs away to mpk the mages! :D

Yeah... lol.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-07-31 18:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:

You didn't quit the game did you o.o?

I kinda did, but didnt last for long :P
Came back after 2-3 weeks lol.
Figured out that if i dont have lots of events I have to attend I can enjoy the game when I want, not when the game needs me.

Edit: Typo.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-07-31 21:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:

That would be experience, not skill don't you think? You know how to react to something when you've seen it before.

Like anything else in life, both experience and practice are integral to skill. The other important element is attitude.

The number of muscles used is quite different, but other than that, becoming a skillful FFXI player is no different than becoming, say, a skillful baseball player.
Sure, each person has a natural amount of talent, and each person, to some degree, is limited by his/her amount of natural talent. But natural talent alone is insufficient to produce high levels of skill. One must study, practice, be unafraid to make mistakes, be intelligent and flexible enough to learn from said mistakes, and maintain "work ethic" in order to become skillful in any endeavor. This all equates to experience.

So, Skill and experience are not synonymous, but one must possess experience to be deemed skilled. The amount of experience required varies by the individual, based on his/her natural ability.

Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-07-31 21:40:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:

Like anything else in life, both experience and practice are integral to skill. The other important element is attitude.

The number of muscles used is quite different, but other than that, becoming a skillful FFXI player is no different than becoming, say, a skillful baseball player.
Sure, each person has a natural amount of talent, and each person, to some degree, is limited by his/her amount of natural talent. But natural talent alone is insufficient to produce high levels of skill. One must study, practice, be unafraid to make mistakes, be intelligent and flexible enough to learn from said mistakes, and maintain "work ethic" in order to become skillful in any endeavor. This all equates to experience.

So, Skill and experience are not synonymous, but one must possess experience to be deemed skilled. The amount of experience required varies by the individual, based on his/her natural ability.

^^^^
Well said, my tiny english vocabulary had troubles finding the correct wording:p
[+]
Server: Siren
user: beesknees
By Siren.Screamingbabies 2010-07-31 21:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Fenrir.Luarania said:
Lakshmi.Maasahn said:
This effectily.

You gain skill through experience and practice.
 Remora.Belius
Server: Remora
user: Belius
By Remora.Belius 2010-07-31 22:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

And experience and practice make perfect.

Practice alone just makes permanent.
 Valefor.Welfare
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Welfare 2010-07-31 22:29:30
Link | Quote | Reply

SC Samurai vs. Gekko Samurai

There is such a thing as skill in FFXI
[+]
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
Server: Leviathan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-08-03 04:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:

What do you think?

inb4troll

Someone that doesn't suck is

Someone that is clever ( only 75% of the player base remains)
Someone that is not childish, but responsible (-25%)
Someone with good gear, not an idiot equipping trophies (-25%)
Someone that is efficient, aka plays the job right (-10% ?)

[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5