Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI Skill
FFXI Skill
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-08-03 17:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Not having full morrigan doesn't mean you're not skilled or that you're lazy, salvage is just shitty when it comes to drops sometimes so I don't see how that's really important on an application.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-03 17:45:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
I had a screenshot of some1 in excellence once saying this:

"Being a skilled player and having great gear goes hand in hand. A skilled player knows how to make gil and will advance their jobs as far as possible using that knowledge. A player's skill is best detirmined through their success on the game. For example, excellence will not accept any blms who don't have full morrigan's gear. By this time in ffxi if you are skilled, you should be able to get full salvage gear with no issues. If you are unwilling to put in the work then you are not skilled or you are lazy."

That is somewhat paraphrased as I no longer have the screenshot. What was said was pretty logical.

That's kind of HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-03 17:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
I had a screenshot of some1 in excellence once saying this:

"Being a skilled player and having great gear goes hand in hand. A skilled player knows how to make gil and will advance their jobs as far as possible using that knowledge. A player's skill is best detirmined through their success on the game. For example, excellence will not accept any blms who don't have full morrigan's gear. By this time in ffxi if you are skilled, you should be able to get full salvage gear with no issues. If you are unwilling to put in the work then you are not skilled or you are lazy."

That is somewhat paraphrased as I no longer have the screenshot. What was said was pretty logical.

It's not like that tho, they'r picky, but not THAT picky.
I only have 1 morrigan piece!
But all in all what was said is pretty much true tho.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-03 17:53:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
I had a screenshot of some1 in excellence once saying this: "Being a skilled player and having great gear goes hand in hand. A skilled player knows how to make gil and will advance their jobs as far as possible using that knowledge. A player's skill is best detirmined through their success on the game. For example, excellence will not accept any blms who don't have full morrigan's gear. By this time in ffxi if you are skilled, you should be able to get full salvage gear with no issues. If you are unwilling to put in the work then you are not skilled or you are lazy." That is somewhat paraphrased as I no longer have the screenshot. What was said was pretty logical.
lol..I can see why they would want that..but since when did salvage take "skill"? I know quite a few shitty players that have Salvage gear or more than 1 full set of Salvage gear..since when did patience or the ability to do the same thing over and over again become skill?
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-03 17:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Salvage is luck not skill, Having bad luck can result in bad drops.
[+]
 Phoenix.Airbag
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-03 17:56:32
Link | Quote | Reply

this game is 95% gear and 5% knowing how to use that gear, theres no skill in ffxi
 Diabolos.Obliterate
Server: Diabolos
user: TBMC
By Diabolos.Obliterate 2010-08-03 18:01:54
Link | Quote | Reply

To re-iterate my post above, as even to me reading it back comes out to sound the wrong way, there are various degrees of skill but only 5% of the players are "Truly Skilled." You can take what jet li said in fearless as an example of skill "All wushu is equal, there are none that are greater than others, naturally as fighters we would have a different level of skill, and through fighting we discover ourselves." The same applies here. Basically it means two players can be given the same character and one will be naturally better than the other player, that's just the way it is and that's why gear plays a very very very small role as far as skill goes. If you were to take a skilled player with decked gear and put them in AH gear they would still be the same skilled player.
 Cerberus.Excelior
user: Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-03 18:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Gear does matter though. Somebody with better gear will perform better. More accurately, gear would detirmine your character's potential, whereas skill would see how close you can get to fullfilling that potential. Zero ammount of skill will make a character with full BLM AH gear out nuke a full morrigan's blm. 1 INT can never do more damage than 2 INT. There are still limits on your character. Now if you don't know how to use that gear then you arent living up to the limits of what your character can do.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-03 18:26:43
Link | Quote | Reply

In another thread today the whole "stop sucking" line was talked about, and I think that works here as well..Ppl that continually strive to "stop sucking" are the more skilled players in the game.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-03 18:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Gear does matter though. Somebody with better gear will perform better. More accurately, gear would detirmine your character's potential, whereas skill would see how close you can get to fullfilling that potential. Zero ammount of skill will make a character with full BLM AH gear out nuke a full morrigan's blm. 1 INT can never do more damage than 2 INT. There are still limits on your character. Now if you don't know how to use that gear then you arent living up to the limits of what your character can do.
Bolded part is a lie..1 Int on a taru will surely out damage 2 Int on my Elvaan..I know this isn't the point you wanted to make but I thought it was funny.
 Bahamut.Drevin
By Bahamut.Drevin 2010-08-03 18:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
Bolded part is a lie..1 Int on a taru will surely out damage 2 Int on my Elvaan..I know this isn't the point you wanted to make but I thought it was funny.
LOLzor'sblm >:D
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-03 18:37:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Drevin said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
...when it comes to the topic of LOL Drevin would know best.
 Fenrir.Luarania
Server: Fenrir
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-08-03 18:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
In another thread today the whole "stop sucking" line was talked about, and I think that works here as well..Ppl that continually strive to "stop sucking" are the more skilled players in the game.
I wouldn't go as far as more skilled, but certainly over time if they really push themsevles they will become great players via skill, experiance, gear, and all the other little things that put those names on the all time great lists that pop up now and then.

Also having great friends / linkshells depending on how you roll can play into this I would think. Knowing you have people behind you that are able support you properly can take your mind off things that might otherwise distract you.

Finally, somewhat relevent to the matter, is playing on a platform that allows you to perform. Example I have a laptop and a 360 to play FF on, my 360 beats my laptop by miles...
 Bahamut.Drevin
By Bahamut.Drevin 2010-08-03 19:35:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Bahamut.Drevin said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
...when it comes to the topic of LOL Drevin would know best.
yes, yes i would :D

now... on topic... >_>

skill w/ good gear > skill w/ decent gear > no skill w/ good gear > no skill w/ bad gear...

but i guess it really all depends on what you're doing. I know there's a lot of people who have good gear, but have no idea how to play a job and it isn't skilled up because they smn burned it or whatever (abyssea burns too now). Not saying i have a problem with smn burns, its just that a lot of poeple who do it are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE...

I think people who don't know much about the job but are willing to ask questions are always the people who will make the best out of their job because they'll end up getting different answers from different people and can come up with what they think is the best, then pass that on to the next person.

People who just follow commands and don't care to ask questions about what they're doing won't get very far in this game.

Then there's always the stubborn *** who have absolutely no idea what they're doing and always insist that they know what's going on and nobody else does.

to sum up the wall of text... those who wanna learn about what they're doing will always make it farther than those who don't.
[+]
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
Server: Leviathan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-08-04 01:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Not having full morrigan doesn't mean you're not skilled or that you're lazy, salvage is just shitty when it comes to drops sometimes so I don't see how that's really important on an application.

Excuse from gimps that never entered salvage. If you do salvage, you get stuff. A skilled RDM will at least want to do salvage for body.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-08-04 01:51:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:

lol..I can see why they would want that..but since when did salvage take "skill"?

Since day one. You need organisation good gear (not salvage gear, obvisouly). You got to be clever. You need quick reaction to adapt when ***goes wrong (link, aggro, death). You also need gil for the body&head. I mean it's not abyssea exp or dynamis.
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-08-04 02:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:

lol..I can see why they would want that..but since when did salvage take "skill"?

Since day one. You need organisation good gear (not salvage gear, obvisouly). You got to be clever. You need quick reaction to adapt when ***goes wrong (link, aggro, death). You also need gil for the body&head. I mean it's not abyssea exp or dynamis.

You lack the finesse/charisma to be even a decent troll, and you lack the intelligence to be even a decent human being. Reading your posts don't incite anger in me because I can't even read half the words you try to type.

Maybe you think that typing so poorly will make you a better troll, but it mostly just makes people skip your posts and not even care. I stopped reading at the bolded part. And if by the 5% chance you are serious and just an *** with no shred of intelligence, may god have mercy on your soul. A lot of people can respect a charismatic or intelligent ***, but a dumbass no one can respect.
[+]
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-08-04 02:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Since when do you need "good" gear? Sure, a part of being a skilled player is knowing what gear works where, how to use it, and striving to get the better pieces of gear for your job, but a skilled player should also be able to take what gear they have and still perform well until they're able to obtain said good gear.
[+]
 Diabolos.Ariane
By Diabolos.Ariane 2010-08-04 07:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Since when do you need "good" gear? Sure, a part of being a skilled player is knowing what gear works where, how to use it, and striving to get the better pieces of gear for your job, but a skilled player should also be able to take what gear they have and still perform well until they're able to obtain said good gear.

At this point in the game though, any good player has had plenty of time to get at least some good pieces of gear, anyone who hasn't would most likely fall into the lazy catagory, and laziness is the primary ingredient for bad players.

I think Salvage gear is a good example. It is currently some of the best gear in the game (it's another debate whether it will stay that way), and there are very few impediments to players who want the gear.

You don't need an alliance of players, especially since level cap, any zone can be full cleared with 6 players.

It isn't time intensive, any player should be able to find some time to play for 100 mins straight on a regular basis, and you can do it any time you like (and can find other people to do it), so when you play doesn't factor in like with HNMs.

A few pieces are expensive to upgrade, but if you want good gear you'll find a way to make money, and should already know some ways.

Salvage isn't particularly difficult. I wouldn't call it easy, and there is definitely a significant difference between new or pickup groups and an experienced static. Player skill does play into it as well, there is a significant difference in my group between having my 2 main MNKs in it, and missing even one and having a backup MNK in their spot.

The only impediment is if you're lacking appropriate jobs, it can make it difficult to find a group. I'll admit that I'm at my most elitist when I'm leading Salvage, if you don't have at least 1 of MNK, BRD, TH4, RDM, WHM you're not in my group. That doesn't mean though that other jobs don't work in Salvage, or that any balanced group of six couldn't do Salvage, it just wouldn't necessarily be as efficient in all zones.

If you set your mind to doing Salvage though, there is no reason why you can't put a group together. Either from friends / lsmates who also want to do Salvage, or shouting. Salvage can be done as pickup groups or in a static. My current static I put together by shouting for members. I found some fantastic players that way, and we've been together since February.
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-08-04 07:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

After my Dynamis last night, I definitely wish to reiterate that initiative in a crisis is the true skill of this game. When the mega boss aggroed only one person had the initiative to try and run it away. He was a movement plus lacking White Mage, so he didn't get very far... But hey, he tried.

If I was there, first thing I would have done is run it away from everyone. Too bad I was getting subjobs.

Post above: Politely disagree, skill makes gear, not the other way around. I have seen some poorly geared players with not much time for the game perform ten times better than people with the best gear.

How many Aegis PLD's do you know who don't have a clue how to play PLD? I know a lot.
[+]
 Ifrit.Itazura
Server: Ifrit
user: Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2010-08-04 07:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Excuse from gimps that never entered salvage. If you do salvage, you get stuff. A skilled RDM will at least want to do salvage for body.

Our first run was back in June 2008. Our last run was this past Sunday. We've averaged probably a bit more than one run per week during the two years interval.

In all that time, we couldn't complete a single body; specifically, Morrigan's Robe has been on my "lot list" since day one, and it's still on that list. I am STILL waiting for Macha's coat to drop.

Obviously we wouldn't go after body every single run, but over the two year abd one month period, I lost track of the number of times the Qiqirn denied us that coat.

How's my 'excuse' for being gimp and not have the Morrigan's Robe?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-08-04 08:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

To add to my previous point even more, I had a Paladin in my Dynamis group who thought he was amazing. He had reasonable gear, he was well merrited... but he was utterly useless. He did not having the slightest understanding of his job, neither what he should be doing in Dynamis. His biggest fault was not working with his fellow tanks, which meant he ended up dead a lot.

This player now has an Aegis, which he got from another linkshell (he left mine because he was not top of Hydra Haubert.)

He is still a poor Paladin, from what I've seen of him. Skill makes gear, not the other way round. You could throw a bad player the best geared account in the world, and he would stumble at every step. I know Paladins with much 'worse' gear who are ten times better than these players.
[+]
 Diabolos.Ariane
By Diabolos.Ariane 2010-08-04 09:15:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Itazura said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

Our first run was back in June 2008. Our last run was this past Sunday. We've averaged probably a bit more than one run per week during the two years interval.

In all that time, we couldn't complete a single body; specifically, Morrigan's Robe has been on my "lot list" since day one, and it's still on that list. I am STILL waiting for Macha's coat to drop.

Obviously we wouldn't go after body every single run, but over the two year abd one month period, I lost track of the number of times the Qiqirn denied us that coat.

How's my 'excuse' for being gimp and not have the Morrigan's Robe?

Do Salvage more than once a week? :P

I wouldn't consider you gimp, or a bad player. At least you're trying. Personally I have a problem who don't even bother to try, and excuse their bad gear by saying that skill > gear. These people usually aren't that skilled to begin with...

Salvage is random though. You can try and try for a piece and just not see it drop. It's been my experience though that Morrigan's body is one of the easiest pieces to get to drop, simply because when you do Arrapago Remnants, you have four chances to see it drop, more than any other item in any other zone (you can in BR, but most of the time you don't see NMs at all, so it's not quite the same). I'm kinda surprised that you haven't seen it, although my guess is that you don't kill all 4 Morri robe rats every AR run.

I don't deny that it could happen. I've been doing Salvage pretty much every day for over a year now, I've had Marduk pants on my list since the very beginning. I only just got them last week. I only saw 2 others drop in that time.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-08-04 09:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Nymphadora said:

Since people realised that farming everything (limbus, salvage etc..) in alliances of 18 is a waste of time (and way less fun, mind you) compared to "low" man parties. This applies to everything in FFXI.
 Cerberus.Excelior
user: Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-04 10:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Since people realised that farming everything (limbus, salvage etc..) in alliances of 18 is a waste of time (and way less fun, mind you) compared to "low" man parties. This applies to everything in FFXI.

Too bad 99% of people on this game need 18 people to do HNM and other easy content. I remember when I first came to Hades the idea of 6 manning a TOAU king was preposterous to the linkshells there.
 Fairy.Basilo
Server: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 10:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Most skillful players I know are :

Anthonidur when he is in the mood as pld.

Kooyo as RDM, I personally cant play rdm that fast at all too much to be pressing as rdm/sch solo gravity nuke a mob vs blm/rdm.

Creelo is best Brd I ever had/knew I know there has been better with relics but he's best and most dedicated ive had 5chr merits lol.

Tigerwoods/Vegetto and Lysol best monks really, and tbh alot have probably passed me too by owning hikazu hara ate which I lack therefore lack 5/5 usu to tp in my ws builds pretty strong though.

BLM ... Ima have to say me ... other blms have 5/5 morri zmitts+1 but Im best blm I know that Ive actually done stuff with in old ls's that I can speak on behalf. Zmitts+ and morri body will mean you outnuke me no doubt but ive done events with blms no names with both of these and 1 was ***slow at responding and the other only had 2 ams and I was outnuking his burst/freeze with the other am2's with mix build and he wasnt too fast either.

Ill stop here in regards to friends that I think are skillful, I know the debate was more about what do you think skill is but examples are always nice. Obviously I have less credibility for vouching for myself lol but I guess reason I have done that are mostly from what people have told me in game, that im good. I know every macro in my blm maceo book all 200 of them no windower off by heart and can solo gravity/nuke a mob as long as I got it targetted and know the 1st macro im on with my eyes shut. I obviously can reapply sleeps just as the mobs wake without a timer to assist me in my estimation. As well as soloing Ul yovra at 75, NW apollyon upto 1-2x behemoth usually only tbh, various other nms etc.

Still is only small tip of the iceberg of being skilled at ffxi this is just regarding skill at a few jobs, theres skill to lead and fully understand events too. Leading is a skill in its own. As for salvage I know every single mob every zone every floor every position at what exact time we should be there at, which probably goes for alot of salvage leaders. Salvage leading is still quite fun its like a memory game sometimes with cells.

Best LS leader ive ever had was Darkwonderer Fairy - Chaosrising he understood dynamis very well, as well as role of leading, I wont mention the poorer ones.

Too much can be said really on this topic, its why this post is quite poor structured just typed as it came out w/o much thought for layout.

One more thing I wanna say bout being a good blm is mob correlation weakenesses and understanding each family well, that for me is one of last things i sometimes dont always get right. Tiger for example outnuking me on Nuhn using PUP - aero till i swapped over from thunder/ice.
[+]
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 10:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

One of my better compliments : "Why arent you playing as 3 blms today? >.>; " :D I wasnt in the mood that day.
[+]
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 10:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Ariane said:
Ifrit.Itazura said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Our first run was back in June 2008. Our last run was this past Sunday. We've averaged probably a bit more than one run per week during the two years interval. In all that time, we couldn't complete a single body; specifically, Morrigan's Robe has been on my "lot list" since day one, and it's still on that list. I am STILL waiting for Macha's coat to drop. Obviously we wouldn't go after body every single run, but over the two year abd one month period, I lost track of the number of times the Qiqirn denied us that coat. How's my 'excuse' for being gimp and not have the Morrigan's Robe?
Do Salvage more than once a week? :P I wouldn't consider you gimp, or a bad player. At least you're trying. Personally I have a problem who don't even bother to try, and excuse their bad gear by saying that skill > gear. These people usually aren't that skilled to begin with... Salvage is random though. You can try and try for a piece and just not see it drop. It's been my experience though that Morrigan's body is one of the easiest pieces to get to drop, simply because when you do Arrapago Remnants, you have four chances to see it drop, more than any other item in any other zone (you can in BR, but most of the time you don't see NMs at all, so it's not quite the same). I'm kinda surprised that you haven't seen it, although my guess is that you don't kill all 4 Morri robe rats every AR run. I don't deny that it could happen. I've been doing Salvage pretty much every day for over a year now, I've had Marduk pants on my list since the very beginning. I only just got them last week. I only saw 2 others drop in that time.

Wiki is *** imho on its estimations of droprates 250 funguar for 3 agaricus mushrooms thats not the 4% they claim, also ive done about 600 qiqirn treasure hunter between myself moraelis bahamuth and old ls too since august 2006 only seen 2 macha coats which 2/600 also isnt 4% and yes I understand if im getting this another ls is getting 4/20 possibly, still sucks though. Still think wiki is off a bit.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-04 10:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Basilo said:

Wiki is *** imho on its estimations of droprates 250 funguar for 3 agaricus mushrooms thats not the 4% they claim, also ive done about 600 qiqirn treasure hunter between myself moraelis bahamuth and old ls too since august 2006 only seen 2 macha coats which 2/600 also isnt 4% and yes I understand if im getting this another ls is getting 4/20 possibly, still sucks though. Still think wiki is off a bit.
How can it be off a bit? It's input on drop rate from anyone who visits the page. It doesn't get more correct than that.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-04 10:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Im just unlucky then, also I dont feed wiki info so thats one less unlucky person thats feeding them info for their average.