2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is SE RMTing??
Is SE RMTing??
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
By Eirinne 2010-07-05 10:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Saithorx said:
The only thing that really annoyed me is that as soon as I bought a couple of the recent 10 dollar expansions, they made all 3 available for 10 dollars.
They made all three plus the game available for 19.99 in gamestop, right after they released the 3rd expansion. rofl.
14 is going to be 50/75, and more monthly to play. Will that stop anyone, (me)? Hell no. ^^
The system requirements for the new game are huge.Many will have to buy a ps3, (and wait because that release isnt until next year atm) or a new computer. The beta states the requirements, and I have a brand new machine and even I am wondering how well it will run. Will that stop people or me? Hell no.
Why make games? To pass out for free? How will they make money? It used to anger me too, but hell. I work, and want to be paid too. Stop crying in your beer. Its not going to change a damn thing.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fairy.Haxorking
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-07-05 10:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course SE only wants to make money, that's the entire point of every company, business, and corporation that ever existed. I don't really understand how anyone would be shocked by this. Was it like "Hey, They're trying to make money off me! I thought they made the game to entertain us, Those ***!"? Every consumer knows (Or should know) That a business is only trying to make money off you, that's literally their job. People buy the stuff anyway because they want it. Realistically you're doing the exact same thing by selling items on the AH
 Sylph.Pwrlessgirl
Server: Sylph
user: Pwrless
By Sylph.Pwrlessgirl 2010-07-05 10:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

SE is a Business to make money of all IDIOTS (including myself)willing to pay 13-20 buck a month for entertainment.

They feed upon every gamers impulse to be #1 in the game, everyone playing to make as many high level crafts, as much gil they want to get, all New Armor, weapons, missions, etc, etc, etc.

When ff14 comes out, expansions will keep on coming and people WILL BUY them regardsless of the price.

I look at this game from a DIFFERENT point of view.... I get to relax after a long day of WORK on my FF11 everynight for $13.00 a month. Have fun in DIE-NAMIS, ABYSSEA, or just crafting or helping others in nations missions.

I don't have to spend $50.00-$100.00 here and there taking friends out to drink, neither i have to pay $25-$200.00 to go out to a night club and get a LAP DANCE, and the list goes on. So in a way i see it as a form of Savings! and for all the time (since 2005) I have been able to save some money and INVEST in real life Assest that give me enough DIVIDEND income to pay my rent for FREE, needless to say pay a measly 13-40 bucks a month for online Gaming.

[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-07-05 10:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

SE is trying to be as good at exploiting stupidity as Apple.
 Sylph.Pwrless
By Sylph.Pwrless 2010-07-05 10:53:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Even as SE is taking 40+ bucks amonth for this entertainment. I am not paying $100+ per CABLE TV (don't need the 1000+ channels with all their stupid commercials) and I don't pay 69.99-150+ on cell phone BILLS neither. Simplicity is a Virtue.

<-- I'm glad not to be an owner of Any APPLE Hardware/software/Apps/I-pod/I-touch/I-drink/I-fcuk/I-s#t/I-etc. Or i'll be $5,000+ in the RED.
 Fairy.Spence
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-07-05 10:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Nevermind

I dunno what the hell you're trying to say posting under 2 different accounts
 Sylph.Pwrlessgirl
By Sylph.Pwrlessgirl 2010-07-05 11:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
I don't know why you're calling us idiots, Pwrless, $13-$20 is a pretty good price for a months worth of entertainment. I've opted to stay in and play FFXI instead of going to the bar some nights which saved me months worth of fees.

Spence my dear Canadian friend, I didn't mean IDIOTS in the context of (LOOSERS,NERDS,LOW/NO-LIFE/NO GIRLFRIEND type of people) There are plenty of sucessfull people here who Opt to play this game knowing that S.E. is making good money of us. But who have chosen to play for many reasons including but not limited to saving in so RL expenses, and other form of entertainment.

How about you? A little bird told me you are leaving the game... is that true?????
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-07-05 11:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Pwrlessgirl said:
Fairy.Spence said:
I don't know why you're calling us idiots, Pwrless, $13-$20 is a pretty good price for a months worth of entertainment. I've opted to stay in and play FFXI instead of going to the bar some nights which saved me months worth of fees.

Spence my dear Canadian friend, I didn't mean IDIOTS in the context of (LOOSERS,NERDS,LOW/NO-LIFE/NO GIRFRIEND type of people) There are plenty of sucessfull people here who Opt to play this game knowing that S.E. is making good money of us. But who have chosent to play for many reasons including but not limited to saving in so RL expenses, and other form of entertainment.

How about you? A little bird told me you are leaving the game... is that true?????

You caught the message before I edited, I'm tired and didn't really comprehend it ~

I haven't quit or anything, I'm just not playing right now
 Sylph.Pwrless
By Sylph.Pwrless 2010-07-05 11:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Tired of drinking ?? and yes i have two accounts.
Pwrless the pocket tarutaru and pwrlessgirl the other main.
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-07-05 11:08:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Pwrless said:
Tired of drinking ?? and yes i have two accounts.
Pwrless the pocket tarutaru and pwrlessgirl the other main.

I'm on vacation all week so I did some celebrating over the weekend, I still feel funky from it
 Sylph.Pwrlessgirl
By Sylph.Pwrlessgirl 2010-07-05 11:15:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
Sylph.Pwrless said:
Tired of drinking ?? and yes i have two accounts. Pwrless the pocket tarutaru and pwrlessgirl the other main.
I'm on vacation all week so I did some celebrating over the weekend, I still feel funky from it

I'm glad you had fun, I decided to stay home since past few weeks I have been going out to the beach and picnics with friends and Kidz.

Well... hope to see ya around in game.... I gotto log in now cuz im down 20-40k XP from Nyzul or 6k on Abyssea runs.
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-07-05 11:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Pwrlessgirl said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Sylph.Pwrless said:
Tired of drinking ?? and yes i have two accounts. Pwrless the pocket tarutaru and pwrlessgirl the other main.

I'm glad you had fun, I decided to stay home since past few weeks I have been going out to the beach and picnics with friends and Kidz.

Well... hope to see ya around in game.... I gotto log in now cuz im down 20-40k XP from Nyzul or 6k on Abyssea runs.

GOod luck!
 Sylph.Spiriel
user: Spiriel
By Sylph.Spiriel 2010-07-05 11:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget, you had to buy Chains of Promathia to get a bunch of neat storylines and unlock half the jobs. And then you had to buy Treasures of Aht Urghan to unlock BLU and COR and get a bunch of awesome gear and the best experience camps. And then you had to buy WotG to get /DNC! And-and-and...

MMOs are a money sink. Hasn't everyone figured that out yet?
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2010-07-05 11:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

you gotta admite tho.. is SE was RMT'ing gill and pl serivece that way a lot of sites do, simply to catch those that would buy... fairly smart.
Of course they could also do the same thing to boost their income... butif they were ever cought...
 Bismarck.Hbar
Server: Bismarck
user: Lumos
By Bismarck.Hbar 2010-07-05 12:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Saithorx said:
The only thing that really annoyed me is that as soon as I bought a couple of the recent 10 dollar expansions, they made all 3 available for 10 dollars.
Well, what about the ppl that started playing FFXI since it first came out then?
First they paid about $30-40 for the game, and the same for each expansion that came out.
But ppl that started much later, could buy the original game, plus the expansions for just the original price.
And yeah, after the mini expansions came out, they dropped the price of all three to just the price of one.
But did anyone notice that after that, you could buy the ENTIRE FFXI, with all expansions and mini expansions for as low as $11.99?

SE wanted more ppl to get started playing and paying monthly, and then slam them for more money for the Abyssea expansions now. Either you LOL or you QQ or you get /angry !!!

I refuse to buy the new Abyssea expansions yet, mostly cuz I don't need them for now, and I know lots of ppl that are in the same boat as I am.

Do most of us REALLY need the newest expansion as soon as it comes out?

It is really up to us if continuing to play is worth the money, that is what it really comes down to. Send a message to SE and don't buy them until they are REALLY cheap, like when you could get it all (except Abyssea) for only $11.99. Maybe they will get the hint.

I also agree with the person that compared it to anti-virus software (which anyone can get for free anyway), the idea that anti-virus software companies actually make the viruses in the first place has been around since the first virus ever hit a computer.

Why does the game charge each player so much gil for the stupid marbles too? It doesn't cost them anything to have the moogle bonanza "lottery". Why do we have to pay gil to get a shell going? Why do we have to pay gil to get from one place to another in the game (OP's and Ease of Exploration)?

There are many things in the game itself that should be free, but isn't....not that that is real RMTing.

Oh, and let's not forget that the more mules you have ($1 extra per month per mule, if you can afford it), the more gil you can make. That, in my eyes, truly IS RMTing, cuz they directly charge us real dollars so that we can make more gil.

So, again, it is up to us what we are willing to pay for, or not. If you don't like it, next time, try not to get so addicted to a game that costs so much $$.

I do wish they had better customer support though...yes, they are in it for the money, but any company should at least TRY to keep their customers happy....but SE knows that ppl are addicted and will play (pay) anyway, so why waste money on good customer support? That is probably their mentality.

[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Odin.Joeofalltrades 2010-07-05 12:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury said:
I.. don't know, they did ban over 500 people which possibly equates to about a hundred grand per year. SE is a large company but 100k is still a substantial amount to give up over a bunch of people who "cheated" in a game you made to make their toons stronger.

Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. Banning ~500 accounts may seem drastic, but when those ~500 "jeopardize" every other account which is somewhere around 500,000, its justifiable to them. SE also realizes that probably a percent of those ~500 don't just disappear and stop playing...

SE knows their market, i.e., us, the player base, the junkie...

SE has exploited us from the beginning. Thats why the game is filled with mundane time wasting exercises.

Everything from the endless log on screens to the crafting system is there to waste your time and collect your monthly fees. Then they go and offer you a 45$ tidal talisman to save you time and hassle which is plain insulting.

SE understands that REAL money/time are a small cost to pay for ones EPEEN. They produce a quality product that us junkies will play religiously.

and to the OP just be jewish like me and wait till they offer all 3 shitty expansions for $10 instead of each one for 10$

Bismarck.Hbar
user: Lumos
By Bismarck.Hbar 2010-07-05 12:33:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said:
you gotta admite tho.. is SE was RMT'ing gill and pl serivece that way a lot of sites do, simply to catch those that would buy... fairly smart.
Of course they could also do the same thing to boost their income... butif they were ever cought...

If they were ever caught, what? Is there some kind of law against it if they were?

Customers might get mad, but most would continue to play and pay, as they are right now, even when they get angry at all this.
By Helix 2010-07-07 12:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

SE is a business. Yeah, purchasing products to improve or change your in-game experience is pretty much right out of the EULA's description of rmt...so what, it's their bat, their ball, their rules.

Selling add-ons for 10 bucks and then bundling later for half price or less... is actually rather smart. SE knows that a large part of their player base wants to be the best at their job and have the best new snazzy gear...so they take full advantage of that. If you snooze, you lose so players run out and grab the newest stuff. Then, when the rush to be first is over, they release it to the rest of us for what is at least a semblance of fairness to the whole gaming population.

I really wouldn't be surprised to find out SE was involved in secretive rmt arrangements with third parties, Hell I'm kinda expecting that one day you'll be able to buy whatever you want (gil, gear, scrolls, etc)thru an online store and have the items in your delivery box when you log into game.

It doesn't really matter, SE rules the show and we just keep on playing and paying
 Bismarck.Maxse
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-07-07 12:59:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bragi said:
Hello everyone, i enjoy playing FFXI since 2004 now. But what happened the last 2 years seems very questionable to me, and I wonder what others were thinking about it. Here a little introduction: Cure Potency I consider as one of the most important ‚Modes’ equipment can provide for a main healing White Mage? The pieces that offer this mode are well known, and there have been added more and more lately However you have to buy the Add-ons first to be able to obtain them!! Blue Mage finally can get Dual Wield. Isn’t that great? What does it require to get that Job Trait as Blue Mage without using /nin or /dnc? Ahh, you have to buy the new Add-On first!! This are just 2 examples and there are of course much more. I realized, that what SE is doing, is RMTing in a way that makes me thinking. I’m playing since 2004 now, I have bought the Expansions till WotG as they really provide the players with new CONTENT: Jobs have been added, interesting story lines, new kind of battlefields (Besieged, Campaign, Nyzul Isle, Einherjar etc.), new areas … But what have been added with the so called add-ons that cost you additional REAL $s? Really smart from SE that the rewards are really unique and provide many jobs with modes that, can only be obtained from those. However you can find this way of RMTing in tons of MMORPG you could play for free. You can play the game for free, but if you want better/best equipment you have to buy it for real $s. Much worse is it if they start, to the same thing with ‚Job Traits’ that make a HUGE difference to your job, like the Dual Wield skill for Blue Mage. I came to the decision, not to buy those RMT-Style-Add-ons. And this makes me thinking about it twice or more often, if I should buy FFXIV, when SE is trying to milk the players that way again. Am I the only one that thinks that way about the add-ons?

Ok dont buy the add-ons and stop playing. QQing solved.
 Alexander.Gib
Server: Alexander
user: Gib
By Alexander.Gib 2010-07-07 13:00:30
Link | Quote | Reply

WTF IS THIS BS!?

everything in the world should be free, how dare SE charge for content, those ***.
 Siren.Stunx
Server: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Stunx 2010-07-07 13:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

lol legal rmt cuz they can do it~ it their game, same way WoW RMT's in game mounts and pets.

ff doing the same thing basicly, just with gear that u need to put minimal effort into getting.
 Alexander.Gib
user: Gib
By Alexander.Gib 2010-07-07 13:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Maxse said:
Bragi said:
Hello everyone, i enjoy playing FFXI since 2004 now. But what happened the last 2 years seems very questionable to me, and I wonder what others were thinking about it. Here a little introduction: Cure Potency I consider as one of the most important ‚Modes’ equipment can provide for a main healing White Mage? The pieces that offer this mode are well known, and there have been added more and more lately However you have to buy the Add-ons first to be able to obtain them!! Blue Mage finally can get Dual Wield. Isn’t that great? What does it require to get that Job Trait as Blue Mage without using /nin or /dnc? Ahh, you have to buy the new Add-On first!! This are just 2 examples and there are of course much more. I realized, that what SE is doing, is RMTing in a way that makes me thinking. I’m playing since 2004 now, I have bought the Expansions till WotG as they really provide the players with new CONTENT: Jobs have been added, interesting story lines, new kind of battlefields (Besieged, Campaign, Nyzul Isle, Einherjar etc.), new areas … But what have been added with the so called add-ons that cost you additional REAL $s? Really smart from SE that the rewards are really unique and provide many jobs with modes that, can only be obtained from those. However you can find this way of RMTing in tons of MMORPG you could play for free. You can play the game for free, but if you want better/best equipment you have to buy it for real $s. Much worse is it if they start, to the same thing with ‚Job Traits’ that make a HUGE difference to your job, like the Dual Wield skill for Blue Mage. I came to the decision, not to buy those RMT-Style-Add-ons. And this makes me thinking about it twice or more often, if I should buy FFXIV, when SE is trying to milk the players that way again. Am I the only one that thinks that way about the add-ons?
Ok dont buy the add-ons and stop playing. QQing solved.
yeah man this dude would crap himself if he played other games. He would blow his head off at the sight of Modern Warfare 2's Bi-monthly 15 dollar cash ins
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-07-07 15:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The anon nature of the OP--along with the odd assertion that developers selling their own electronic downloadable IP for money is "RMTing"--makes this thread dubiously troll-like.

But just to humour the argument, there actually were/are examples of (non-free-to-play) MMO's that released expansion content regularly that was absolutely "free", so the OP isn't completely base-less.

Several subscription-based MMO's like "City of Heroes" did release a couple of paid content expansions (like "City of Villains" and the seven-years-later released "Going Rogue") but all the rest of the developed expansions over the years of its existence were completely free. However, these essentially were extra power sets (like "classes/jobs"), extra level content, extra game areas or features/events, which correspond directly with all the "free" added content SE "gives away" all the time like job ability additions, expanded features like Pankration and MMM and grindy mini-games, etc.

Other MMO's also released free content updates, like CCR's "Rising Force Online", which did eventually introduce a cash-shop and adopted a free-to-play business model and ditched the subscription model. But even when it was sub-based, the content area expansions and level cap expansions (and jobs and equipment) were technically free with the update/download of the newly released client.

However, due to CCR's dislike of updating the UK/NA release version (run by Codemasters) to match the Korean version, along with Codemasters not caring about RMT bots or cheaters/dupers, pretty much killed the western version of that game. But still, the updates were technically free.

So long story short, there are some MMOs that use a free-update system, but they are likely either very niche, have a loyal player base that will give them money no matter what, have a very small player base and the company doesn't really think of the game as a cash-cow anyway, or the MMO is likely going to be changed into a free-to-play-with-cash-shop business model in the near future.

I think SE's idea of "sell it to the early adapters via download then turn around and rebundle it with the client later on as a budget package" isn't a bad business model. If that is unappealing, there are billions of free-to-play Maple Story and Mabinogi games (filled with cheaters, bots, and twinks) out there calling for players that don't want to pay money (or think they don't...)
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2010-07-07 15:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are a bunch of bitchy conspiracy theorists. lol Not that I don't support that. But really, if you don't want to pay, then don't play. That simple. I have bought the expansions. But I've only paid for the first add-on that was available (ACP). I may at some point buy Abyssea because some of the gear is really nice..

I don't really blaime SE for wanting us to buy all these extras.. I mean it would be really NICE if they would just release these as mini expansions instead of little add-ons that cost money. But they are running a business, so they are trying to make money. As for releasing all of this as FFXIV is coming out in just a few months? Well what would be the point of letting an 8 year old MMO get stale with it's content that has all already been beaten *cough WoW* (not that I play WoW, but my friend does and he got bored and quit recently because he had completed all of the endgame content).

Surely it can't hurt SE to put minimal effort into add-ons while making a bit more money. Noone is forcing us to buy abyssea. Some of the gear you can even get off of the AH.
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-07-07 15:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread is a bunch of Q.Q that is gonna go nowherre, if you don't like SE making money off of you then IDK wtf man? This is how MMO's work, they get updated, they charge you for updates all the time if you don't like this kind of style from companies, then get a frigging console and play a stable game that never changes or something like that.

If you don't like that idea, suck up the reality of a MMO, you have the choice to get the add-ons or not, I didn't get any of the 4 latest Add-ons except abyssea.

People expecting to go somewhere with a MMO is plain stupid, the point of the game is having fun while your online, if you don't like new updates/addons/the charge of the game, then this field isn't for you. :/ You always have the choice to not buy them too!

Yeah I agree, SE is milking the game, but this is what happens at the end of MMO's, You gotta sit down and wonder if your going to play all that new content, if it's worth your $10.00 or not. If it is get it, if it isn't then skip it.

and IDK, the gear from the other 3 add-ons seemed kind of weak for a $30 dollars worth IMO.
 Odin.Mikumaru
user: Mikumaru
By Odin.Mikumaru 2010-07-07 15:39:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Wardens said:
You guys are a bunch of bitchy conspiracy theorists. lol Not that I don't support that. But really, if you don't want to pay, then don't play. That simple. I have bought the expansions. But I've only paid for the first add-on that was available (ACP). I may at some point buy Abyssea because some of the gear is really nice.. I don't really blaime SE for wanting us to buy all these extras.. I mean it would be really NICE if they would just release these as mini expansions instead of little add-ons that cost money. But they are running a business, so they are trying to make money. As for releasing all of this as FFXIV is coming out in just a few months? Well what would be the point of letting an 8 year old MMO get stale with it's content that has all already been beaten *cough WoW* (not that I play WoW, but my friend does and he got bored and quit recently because he had completed all of the endgame content). Surely it can't hurt SE to put minimal effort into add-ons while making a bit more money. Noone is forcing us to buy abyssea. Some of the gear you can even get off of the AH.
^ this . paying for content isnt RMT . Paying for Gil is . Paying for an Expansion isnt RMT . Buying an Account thats already got hi Lv jobs and area access is . Farming gil to buy that smexy piece of gear you cant craft isnt RMT . Buying Gil then paying an LS to get you say Bahamut's Staff or Byakko's Haidate is .

If the OP wants to call Square the biggest RMT try using something that makes sense . Like the Tidal Talisman(in game item gift for buying a Real world Necklace ) or that Moogle Shield (only those that paid the w/e it was $80+ to go to Fan Fest in Cali got one). Oh wait . Special in game items for a real world purchase ..... doesnt another very popular MMORPG do this ? It had a silly name .... WOrld of something . i think South Park did an episode based on this game but the name eludes me . World of Trolls ? w/e .
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-07-07 15:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

So Rise of Zilart was and RMT expansion as well? you got what an earring from it....

They've been doing it from the start if this is what you call RMT'ing.

lolz
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-07-07 15:46:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
if you don't like this kind of style from companies, then get a frigging console and play a stable game that never changes or something like that.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/14/modern-warfare-2-resurgence-map-pack-detailed-by-bowling/
Quote:
Live, the pack will be priced at 1200 ($15)

everyone does it. not just ffxi. so playing console doesnt work either.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7