Who Plays For FFXI For Fun Anyway?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Who plays for FFXI for fun anyway?
Who plays for FFXI for fun anyway?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7

| Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Lorielain
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Atrithk
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-05-30 01:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno, I can sell a relic account for over a thousand gil
I mean dollars
[+]
 Asura.Shayka
Server: Asura
user: Shayka
By Asura.Shayka 2010-05-30 01:11:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I play for fun *shrugs* and I don't care how many people mock my gear, try to tell me how to play or anything else. When they're paying for my account, they can do whatever, until then they can kiss the fattest part of my fat ***.
[+]
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-05-30 01:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly FF for me has always just been something to dink around on.
I get ragged on by friends that play because after a long day's work I don't feel like merriting or somesuch, I had one guy try to chastise me because 'He was working a 70hr week, coming home and merriting and got his MP merits (8/8) done in a week, so I should be able to also'. And it's like "Ya ok congrats, but when I get home I like to race my chocobo... maybe fish a little lol".

I get tired of friends ragging on me for not having or wanting a salvage group, and I can understand why people would say I'm gimp for not having certain pieces, like Marduks for BRD. Buuuut to be honest, I couldn't give a crap :P I'm so happy that I get to just chill, cook random food for people, go chocodigging, solo random jobs on a whim and not be forced to stay around people I don't like, all for a bunch o' pixels that'll become obsolete down the line.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-05-30 01:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay what people seem to not get about this is, yes, it is a game but it's a game that not only you are paying for but other players are paying for. When you show up in our parties looking like a WoW reject with about the same amount of skill, we have a problem. Everyone plays this game because it's fun in one way or another. The serious players do it for the gear, the events and the prestige. The casual players play for other reasons on a personal level to them.

Gear does matter and I'm tired of people saying the opposite. You don't have to have the best god damn gear in the game but you should at least try and educate yourselves about gearing your jobs properly. There shouldn't be DD full timing STR+ rings or mages wearing DD gear in parties. Most of your veteran players couldn't give two pounds of monkey crap what you have as long as you're making an honest effort to do it right. TP in the correct gear (Depends on the job but mostly Haste/Acc/Attack/etc) and WS in correct gear (Depends on the WS but STR/Stat mods/Attack/etc). No one ever has the expectation of having the greatest gear in the game. Only limited people will ever have that but it's no excuse not to get the best you possibly can. If you show up as a MNK wearing Denali head and TPing in STR rings or a WHM who full times Reverend Mail, yes you will be made fun of because you're a moron who couldn't bother looking at how your job works. That's all people want. The honest effort at doing the job right.
[+]
 Alexander.Lacas
Server: Alexander
user: Rakasu
By Alexander.Lacas 2010-05-30 01:23:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I play for fun, but then again I am not tied to anything in particular in game such as endgame activities so I mainly do things at my own leisure.
[+]
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2010-05-30 01:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oddin said:
Okay what people seem to not get about this is, yes, it is a game but it's a game that not only you are paying for but other players are paying for. When you show up in our parties looking like a WoW reject with about the same amount of skill, we have a problem. Everyone plays this game because it's fun in one way or another. The serious players do it for the gear, the events and the prestige. The casual players play for other reasons on a personal level to them.

Gear does matter and I'm tired of people saying the opposite. You don't have to have the best god damn gear in the game but you should at least try and educate yourselves about gearing your jobs properly. There shouldn't be DD full timing STR rings or mages wearing DD gear in parties. Most of your veteran players couldn't give two pounds of monkey crap what you have as long as you're making an honest effort to do it right. TP in the correct gear (Depends on the job but mostly Haste/Acc/Attack/etc) and WS in correct gear (Depends on the WS but STR/Stat mods/Attack/etc). No one ever has the expectation of having the greatest gear in the game. Only limited people will ever have that but it's no excuse not to get the best you possibly can. If you show up as a MNK wearing Denali head and TPing in STR rings or a WHM who full times Reverend Mail, yes you will be made fun of because you're a moron who couldn't bother looking at how your job works. That's all people want. The honest effort at doing the job right.

Not saying gear doesn't matter at all, because it does.

But I think the point OP was trying to make was it's bad to rag on people if they're not willing to sell their soul for certain bits, y'know?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Siren.Miayoko
Server: Siren
user: Miayoko
By Siren.Miayoko 2010-05-30 01:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, everyone plays a different way. My mom has "***" gear to most people but she plays her job well. As long as you are educated and at least make an attempt to be a decent player I won't *** about it. I myself don't have the best of gear but I don't spend my entire life playing the game either I play when I want. Where I want. And How I want. Not what others want me to do. If someone wants to waste 8 hours a day doing HNM that's their business ;) I'll stick to my 15.95 a month chatroom.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-30 01:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Israfel said:
Not saying gear doesn't matter at all, because it does.

But I think the point OP was trying to make was it's bad to rag on people if they're not willing to sell their soul for certain bits, y'know?
Thing is, 99% of the people who get called elitist aren't asking for anything near that level of commitment. They're just asking that your gear, merits, food, etc make sense. Doesn't have to be HQ or chock full of shiny endgame gear, but it ought to look like at least a couple brain cells rubbed together when you were putting item sets together. This is the internet and all, but I don't think the 1% justifies a WoT thread.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2010-05-30 01:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Night (since quote ain't working)
I agree with that 100% lol

I don't condone 'gimpiness' in the sense that mages trying to run around in agi rings while eating navarin and forgetting their body armor (it's happened ><)

but I don't like being ragged on for not having salvage items~
Yes my merits are done! but they took me a bit longer to get to! hehe :P

not sure if I'm making my standpoint any clearer or notxD hehe
 Sylph.Vincentius
By Sylph.Vincentius 2010-05-30 01:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Thing is, 99% of the people who get called elitist aren't asking for anything near that level of commitment. They're just asking that your gear, merits, food, etc make sense. Doesn't have to be HQ, it just needs to look like at least a couple brain cells rubbed together when you were putting item sets together. This is the internet and all, but I don't think the 1% justifies a WoT thread.

This.

If you're doing it right, I couldn't care less. As long as you can prove you understand how to wipe your ***, I'm not going to link you 16 youtube videos and an actual diagram on how to unravel the TP, wrap it around your hand, take it off your hand, and commence the wiping.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fairy.Specopsz
Server: Fairy
user: Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2010-05-30 01:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been talking like this with the people in my LS for a long time.
As long as the person feeling inferior towards another on the internet, they will continue to do it.

There is no such thing as having fun anymore.
Its all about competing for the best gear, and who has the most gil.
It will never change, there is may be a small select of people who don't do that but still, the larger group who do, are more dominate on the subject.
It will grow more and more, and will spurse to number 14 when it releases.
Yeah, it sucks, but its the internet.
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-05-30 01:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no hostility aimed at you but it gets old when people go "Wtf?!" every time someone tells them their gear sucks. I have offered plenty of people advice before on their gear. Usually all I get in return are excuses and bull crap. Most people are beyond help because they don't care and that's where the veteran "elitism" comes from. People don't want to change their ways even after people try to explain what they're doing is wrong.
[+]
 Seraph.Rafik
Server: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-05-30 01:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Tc aka Godzilla or was it Godzuki? I had a brd a few days ago in a meripo linked 5birdies died <.< then fake d/ced. We had no voke in that party. Not sure if the brd knew that birds link. I dont care what the brds gear is as long as he/she knows wtf they doing.

Another party I had a drg who subed war to a meripo. I asked if they had /sam. She said yeah but wanted to /war.... I didnt care about her gear. Just wanted her to know that subbing sam you will um ws faster than /war and got seigan third eye when you need it.

Needless to say she /war and gave me a lecture how she pays for it and will sub what ever she wants. I didnt say anything about her gear. I know she took it the wrong way when I said that /sam would be more beneficial....
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-30 01:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Thing is, 99% of the people who get called elitist aren't asking for anything near that level of commitment. They're just asking that your gear, merits, food, etc make sense. Doesn't have to be HQ or chock full of shiny endgame gear, but it ought to look like at least a couple brain cells rubbed together when you were putting item sets together. This is the internet and all, but I don't think the 1% justifies a WoT thread.

this is the answer. These "elitists" who demand HQ everything and ancient torques instead of PCC's, etc... well, if they exist, i haven't seen them.

look at the gimpthread on BG. if someone posts somebody with cheap gearsets that make sense, they will get all kinds of ***.

i don't see that wanting the people that you party or do missions with to at least have/know the essentials is being a ***. it's just wanting to do well.

i don't think wanting people to understand the basics is limited to veteran players either. i've played less than 95% of the people here
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-05-30 01:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Rafik said:
Tc aka Godzilla or was it Godzuki? I had a brd a few days ago in a meripo linked 5birdies died <.< then fake d/ced. We had no voke in that party. Not sure if the brd knew that birds link. I dont care what the brds gear is as long as he/she knows wtf they doing.

Another party I had a drg who subed war to a meripo. I asked if they had /sam. She said yeah but wanted to /war.... I didnt care about her gear. Just wanted her to know that subbing sam you will um ws faster than /war and got seigan third eye when you need it.

Needless to say she /war and gave me a lecture how she pays for it and will sub what ever she wants. I didnt say anything about her gear. I know she took it the wrong way when I said that /sam would be more beneficial....

My point exactly. People just don't want to hear it. They want things their way when it hurts everyone else when they make stupid choices. But the party leader would be a *** because he told them "No thanks." and didn't invite them.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-30 01:58:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Israfel said:
@ Night (since quote ain't working)
I agree with that 100% lol

I don't condone 'gimpiness' in the sense that mages trying to run around in agi rings while eating navarin and forgetting their body armor (it's happened ><)

but I don't like being ragged on for not having salvage items~
Yes my merits are done! but they took me a bit longer to get to! hehe :P

not sure if I'm making my standpoint any clearer or notxD hehe
Makes perfect sense! I think any regular here would agree that I'm fairly elitist, but there's no way I'd yell at you for not having Salvage gear. I tend not to yell at all unless someone starts to annoy me... that's when I get nasty. At that point they've earned it imo >_>; The 1% who do it regardless are people I generally don't care for either, so w/e~
Fairy.Specopsz said:
There is no such thing as having fun anymore.
Really? ***, guess I should stop playing FFXI then, cause I really thought I enjoyed it.
Sylph.Oddin said:
There's no hostility aimed at you but it gets old when people go "Wtf?!" every time someone tells them their gear sucks. I have offered plenty of people advice before on their gear. Usually all I get in return is excuses and bull crap. Most people are beyond help because they don't care and that's where the veteran "elitism" comes from. People don't want to change their ways even after people try to explain what they're doing is wrong.
This... Hell, I don't even offer advice for the most part unless it's asked for just because people almost inevitably get defensive and it goes downhill. But if you set off my *** detector... not going to go over well.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Lianua
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lianua
By Lakshmi.Lianua 2010-05-30 01:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

/

i play for fun.
and only fun.

who has time for serious stuff anyway?
[+]
 Siren.Miayoko
Server: Siren
user: Miayoko
By Siren.Miayoko 2010-05-30 02:01:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Internets and FFXI R srs. Meh people can make fun of me I play for fun my ls is full of people that really just don't care if we want to go do stuff we just go do it no pressure.

I guess it just depends. I mainly only pt with people I know or friends anyway. The atmosphere of the game has changed since it got older. Just my take on it.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-30 02:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
\
Edit: But fun is subjective right? Some people find fun in eating paint chips too..

despite the sarcasm, there's something to be said for this. one thing about the constant "FFXI should be fun!" posts is that they somehow make the assumption that no one could possibly find optimizing their gearsets to be fun

OP, Specopsz, your definition of fun isn't the only one that exists.

Post deleted by User.
 Diabolos.Chibixzero
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Chibixzero 2010-05-30 02:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I farted and think I shard my self........ ohh wait umm yea.... I play for fun.... bye

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-05-30 02:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

@thread title