First Page 2 3 4 5
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-17 00:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Ohnoes, please don't call the internet cops on me!

The word proven stands correct in my eyes, just because I haven't taken the time to get exact numbers by my claim doesn't make it less fact (to me), even though I have personal experience with THF for >>5<< years with the job ranging from soloing to dynamis to just about everything else.

If it bothers you so much, you're more then welcome to go test it out yourself like I said before.
If it were true, which I doubt, then it would be a fact whether we knew it or not. A PROVEN fact is something that can be proven though. And you've yet to prove it. So, yes, you were wrong by calling it a proven fact. Yes, it's your opinion/belief, not a proven fact.

Also, lol at the I played 5 years, so this makes it a fact!
[+]
By Lancenageem 2010-05-17 00:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

God wears pink underware. This is 100% True, Proven, Fact!

That sentence alone has as much "truth" "fact" & "evidence" as your prior arguments.

However .... it's (IS) wholly a correct statment, cause I think it's real therefor it is.

I think you're getting extreamly lucky on Earthsday, Aligned with VIT <- a stat not even "Rumored" to assist Steal anywhere, ever in the creation of space.

Thank you,
Goodnight.
[+]
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-05-17 01:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

i still dont understand why you just dont beat him? its a very simple stradgy, thf was my first job and i beat maat first try on thf, i simply brought along a few HP drinks and fought him until he uses his two hour then i hit flee, and run around till his perfect dodge wore off then hit perfect dodge myslef and wore his *** out, im sorry but this is a very simple straight up fight, not sure why anyone would try this fight 25 times and lose. the chance to steal from him is extreamly low just beat him for christ sake man.
 Diabolos.Tamarand
Server: Diabolos
user: tamarand
By Diabolos.Tamarand 2010-05-17 01:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried beating him I came with Hi-Potions, And Acc+ food, But he was able to kill me faster than i could use the potions.
 Ragnarok.Flippant
Server: Ragnarok
user: Enceladus
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2010-05-17 01:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys, CHR affects Treasure Hunter, it's a proven fact in game. Data? Personal experience and testing of over >>9000<< years with THF since I've had it at 75.

So you want me to waste an insane amount of time to prove to you what I say is correct? Even after I have proven it to myself? You must not be thinking clearly lol.

Two dynamis runs, one with double Heavens Rings and Kard mainhand and one without can prove my theory if you care to test it on your own time. But make sure to stay consistent with the CHR gear to have the best results.

Why else would Assassin's Armlets have CHR?

Do you really think that is how a "proven fact" is proven? That sounds so ridiculous I'm tempted to call you a troll who is trying to see how many people you can get to spend two Dynamis runs stealing every five minutes just to prove you wrong.

Back on topic... It may just be incredibly bad luck, OP. Getting a single Thief's Testimony took me 40 or 50 -something Steals, and I don't think(?) it's supposed to take that long... And yes, I did that Steal-at-low-HP thing and tried multiple zones, etc. I guess I should've just done it on Earthsday and saved myself the trouble.

And NO DATA, but I'm wondering if some Maat fights are just harder for some people. Friend lost 66-67THF eight times, but everyone else I talked to said 66THF was a piece of cake. Another friend lost DRK several times with KC zerg. BST took me six tries to win with HQ pets and 2hour each time despite multiple testimonies about fighting at 66 with NQ pet and without using 2hour--several people told me it was the easiest one, too, but the only other one I died on was 1/2 on RDM for a really stupid reason.

Maybe this is just one of those abnormally difficult fights?
[+]
 Ifrit.Jurai
Server: Ifrit
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-05-17 01:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Steal being luck- it might take that long. Took my wife more than 10 tries. It took me over 50 tries to Steal the item for thf AF in Beadeaux.. I used Mug first on about the 50th try and stole it right on that same mob! Maybe try Mug before Steal!
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Flippant
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2010-05-17 01:54:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, now I'm thoroughly convinced you're a troll. It's a proven fact. No one can be that ignorant.
[+]
 Caitsith.Dryope
Server: Caitsith
user: Dryopae
By Caitsith.Dryope 2010-05-17 02:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you activating the latent on the Rogue's ring? I went out to Batallia Downs and let a bunch of mobs beat me up until I was at 75% hp, just make sure you don't go into your mog house to get up to Ru'Lude!

It saves on venom potions and time so you can get 2 steals out of every testimony, as long as you bring reraise. I remember when I did mine I did the whole SA hide steal, just for placebo effect. It worked though.
 Shiva.Xellith
Server: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2010-05-17 02:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
My friend in dynamis stole a 100 piece from a statue on Earthsday without knowing about this in game. Do you think that was luck also?

you are a *** idiot.

You can say ANYTHING you want. But unless you post PROOF by means of testing then you do NOT provide proof. PROOF = showing DATA. If there is NO data then there is NO proof.

Seriously. I could say I have a method to kill Kirin solo. Is anyone gonna believe me if I just say it? No. They arnt. Are people gonna believe me if i post detailed strategy and video? Yes they would.

You are simply saying "I SAID ITS TRUE SO IT IS EVEN THO IM JUST GUESSING LOLZ".

you are making yourself look like a complete idiot and a troll.
[+]
 Siren.Stunx
Server: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Stunx 2010-05-17 02:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

looks, he said it, so its true! take the word of a complete stranger!
 Leviathan.Dubont
Server: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-17 02:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
My friend in dynamis stole a 100 piece from a statue on Earthsday without knowing about this in game. Do you think that was luck also?
God touched me in my sleep without me knowing anything about him! Do you think that was luck?
[+]
 Cerberus.Brogames
Server: Cerberus
user: Cleaver
By Cerberus.Brogames 2010-05-17 02:22:36
Link | Quote | Reply

You might want to consider what exactly effects steal its not as simple as "Steal+" gear only .... mob HP, direction you use the ability fro, other abilities stacked with steal all factors in stealing.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Flippant
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2010-05-17 02:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not even just about you claiming something to be a proven fact without proof anymore. Now you're providing "proof," yet your proof is a single, isolated incident. Do you think that honestly constitutes a scientific test?

To help you out a little, consider the following:
I flip a penny. It lands on heads. I conclude that this penny will always land on heads. Do you find this to be a reasonable conclusion?

Say I flip it ten times and then flip a dime ten times. The penny comes out 8/10 heads and the dime 4/10 heads. Can I then say "This penny has twice the chance of landing on heads than this dime"?

If you answered "yes" to any of those rhetorical questions, I almost feel bad for you. Don't you notice that people always provide/ask for sample size when arguing any claims? Oh wait, you probably haven't even looked at any properly executed tests.
[+]
 Bismarck.Tontocat
Server: Bismarck
user: Tontocat
By Bismarck.Tontocat 2010-05-17 03:32:00
Link | Quote | Reply

i know we've ventured a bit far from this post but i'd like to point this out.
Quote:
Steal can only be used to defeat Maat on your first time doing G5. I am unsure if that brings any light to the subject.
Also I found that the Thief Kote truely did the trick, try asking somebody if you can borrow some?
My ALT, <Lecherous> 2x Tests 4x Steal Won with #4 and under a minute to spare after useing reraise. I was irritated with +13 Steal, knowing that it was the max I could obtain @ lv70 and I only had to do it twice, I can't imagin 30x. I think I would have done (as other advised) and went ape-nuts on him and DD'd.

Good Luck.

Rabbit Charm= +1
Key Ring Belt= +1
Thief Kote= +3
Rogue's Bonnet= +1
Rogue's Poulaine= +2
Rogue's Culottes= +1
Rogue's Armlets= +1
Rogue's Ring= +3 ( Let Maat get a shot on ya to activate )

Beat Maat on: May 12th 2010 (idk what game day)

Lance, you can only have a maximum of Steal+12 at level 70, I know because that's what I had at that level. It took me 9 testimonies to steal from maat. If you look at you list you have Rogue's Armlets and Thief's Kote both listed on there, but obviously you can't wear them at the same time.
 Alexander.Neph
Server: Alexander
user: Neph
By Alexander.Neph 2010-05-17 04:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I had steal+8 when I successfully stole from Maat, and did so at the beggining of my second encounter against him, with everything but the Rabbit Charm and Rogue's Ring. Went in, used SA, and stole from behind. Not gonna say SA is proven to increase the success rate of steal, but to this day I make sure to stack SA+steal on Qiqirn in Salvage.

I got my tests from gobs in Cape Terrigan though. I've never failed a steal against them and can just Hide afterwards.
 Cerberus.Pukushu
Server: Cerberus
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2010-05-17 10:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

@ OP You really have 3 options:
1) continue trying to steal which is luck, but its bound to work someday. couple things that *may* help. DO NOT have a warp scroll in your inventory (go /17blm if you are scared... sub doesnt matter for fight anyway). get the extra + steal (borrow if you have too). make sure the latent on your ring is active before you steal. use rr and steal 2x per testimony (it took me 7 tests to finally get it myself)

2) kill him use a stratagy found at http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Shattering_Stars/Thief
if he kicked your butt, try upgrading your gear a little. farm some if you have to. use gear swaps if you arnt already. basic stratagy is go in sleep 100tp sa hit > DE > icrius wing > DE > if he PD then you flee if he WS then you PD > build 100tp > DE and that should just about do it. make sure you macro in dex for SA and then evasion and acc to melee (blink band and ss and phlanax help too. also food and drink. again blink band, spartan hoplod and ss torque will help.

3) level a different job to 66+ and kill him on that. so your rdm is kinda close, but most ppl agree that rdm maat is the hardest maat and its also expensive. so a more realistic approach would be maybe nin. nin is actually fairly easy.

Good luck!!

@ *proof* debate

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proof
defines "proof' as:
evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth.
anything serving as such evidence:
the effect of evidence in convincing the mind.

so in effect Mabrook has "proved" his statement to himself. However his "proof" is not generally accepted as "sufficient evidence" by most players. certainly there is not hard data given. Im not saying its not true. just there is no hard data given to support it. since we are honestly talking about math (statistics specifically), all equations can be proven by mathematical tests and the data for those tests can be given. for statistics the larger the sample size the more accurate the results. small sample size = more varience in test results. while 5 years is a large sample size and probably several thousand steal attempts were done, there hasnt been any recorded data to show the results.

observation is subjective. example: i wanted to buy a VW beetle. now before i wanted to get this car i never saw many of them on the road. once i wanted that car, i saw them everywhere. now in reality there wasnt a sudden jump in VW drivers just because i wanted the car, but my observation of VW drivers jumped because it was now on my mind. the same can be applied to the earthday theory. you may have noticed a particular dynamis where you stole multiple coins. much more than any other time. now suddenly you start observing earthday as super steal day. you will tend to remember seeing more positive results on erathday more than any other day because now you are looking for it. what hasnt changed is the actual amount of successes on any day. the only way to be objective is to start taking notes on every attempt. and if you are trying to isolate earthday for example then you have to hold other things constant like monster level, steal skill items ect.

anyway there is nothing wrong with observation. what ppl are complaining about is stating it as fact without providing sufficient objective data to back it up. you may believe it, but this is a math game, so mathematical proof is needed to convince ppl it is 'fact'

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-17 11:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
The tl;dr really wasn't necessary tbh, the words proven fact was already addressed multiple times. I used the wrong wording so *** sue me then cry me a river.

Just because it has never been tested or given specific numbers for it doesn't mean it is not possible. If it really really bothers people from what I said, once I start playing FFXI in a week or so I'll do the testing while I'm at work and provide "proof" for the simple fact of scratching another persons *** to make them feel satisfied by numbers.
[+]
By Angeleus 2010-05-17 11:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
All i do is talk ***and that's why i don't post on BG.

I think that explain couple of things.
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-05-17 11:13:42
Link | Quote | Reply

but why earthday? isnt windsday the element for AGI which is what steal is based off of?

(please note this is a sarcastic remark in reply to all the other nonsense i've read here today)

rofl.
 Phoenix.Slytribal
Server: Phoenix
user: Slykun
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2010-05-17 11:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Stealing on Earthsday has just been the exact same for me as stealing on other days, hell, I've stolen around 9 bronzepieces in a Dyna Sandy run on a firesday, and 0 on Earthsday.

So you can say you have proven to yourself that Earthsday effects it, but others can just argue back because it's not the case.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Slytribal
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2010-05-17 11:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
but why earthday? isnt windsday the element for AGI which is what steal is based off of?

(please note this is a sarcastic remark in reply to all the other nonsense i've read here today)

rofl.

I thought the rumour was that Steal was based off of INT?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-17 11:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Angeleus said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
All i do is talk ***and that's why i don't post on BG.

I think that explain couple of things.
Eh? Tigerwoods = Vegetto = Cream Soda

Who are you?
[+]
 Fenrir.Vacian
user: Vacian
By Fenrir.Vacian 2010-05-17 11:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

just KO him its really not that hard, I went in and tried to steal from him about 4 times went in once with the intentions of knocking his old *** out and he went down quick like, I had nothing that would be considered great gear at that level either
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-05-17 11:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Slytribal said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:

rofl.

I think you're thinking of picking chests... you know, before SE was all like "NO CHEST FOR J00!"

/trollin'

That aside, I have noticed enough of a pseudo-difference to make me steal from behind as often as possible :D
 Phoenix.Slytribal
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2010-05-17 11:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Tousou said:
Phoenix.Slytribal said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:

rofl.

I think you're thinking of picking chests... you know, before SE was all like "NO CHEST FOR J00!"

/trollin'

That aside, I have noticed enough of a pseudo-difference to make me steal from behind as often as possible :D

I heard it was steal as well.. Ah well, I've tried the INT for coffers and I call BS on it :p Pick better with my normal TP gear than INT gear... Maybe... It's accuracy or haste that effects it! I have proof since I've been using the gear for a long time now!

Though, away from that now. Good luck OP on the LB
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-05-17 11:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure this thread is a lost cause, but I wanted to mention that blink band is nice to have for Maat for that little bit of extra time.