ffxi is 22 in japan now
 Asura.Iamaman
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-05-17 09:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Negan said: »
I missed this somehow and need to replay I guess.

When I started this character 4 years ago, I did so swearing to myself I wouldn't focus on the endgame and instead just do all the story content. During 75-cap, a lot of that content was so spread out for completion it was hard to follow. I figured I'd just explore and do missions to reconnect with it in a way I couldn't before.

I got through the Bastok missions fine and about 30% of the way into CoP before I was mashing enter and just wanting it to be over with. Adoulin legit made me rage with the long *** cutscenes and plot worthy of being a filibuster simulator. So boring.

I just don't think it's aged well. The whole reason I started over was to see all that content again, but what I found was that they somewhat recognized there would be gaps in the content, so there seems to be a lot of rehashing and filler content that was meant to mitigate the length of time people had between missions. When you grind them all out now, it just turns into a wall of text that is mind numbing. And FUUUUCCKKK that Adoulin end cutscene. I just went to bed.

Of all the copium snorting and enemas I've been taking around here lately, telling myself that I wasn't gonna focus on endgame and instead just do plot ***is more than all of it combined.
[+]
By Ovalidal 2024-05-17 10:25:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
Bahamut.Negan said: »
I missed this somehow and need to replay I guess.

When I started this character 4 years ago, I did so swearing to myself I wouldn't focus on the endgame and instead just do all the story content. During 75-cap, a lot of that content was so spread out for completion it was hard to follow. I figured I'd just explore and do missions to reconnect with it in a way I couldn't before.

I got through the Bastok missions fine and about 30% of the way into CoP before I was mashing enter and just wanting it to be over with. Adoulin legit made me rage with the long *** cutscenes and plot worthy of being a filibuster simulator. So boring.

I just don't think it's aged well. The whole reason I started over was to see all that content again, but what I found was that they somewhat recognized there would be gaps in the content, so there seems to be a lot of rehashing and filler content that was meant to mitigate the length of time people had between missions. When you grind them all out now, it just turns into a wall of text that is mind numbing. And FUUUUCCKKK that Adoulin end cutscene. I just went to bed.

Of all the copium snorting and enemas I've been taking around here lately, telling myself that I wasn't gonna focus on endgame and instead just do plot ***is more than all of it combined.

LOL. There's nothing wrong with that. Different tastes for different people.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2024-05-17 10:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I really liked Adoulin's story up until the third act. I felt like it had excellent worldbuilding and was picking up a lot of steam, getting ready to tie all of this neat stuff together. But then you can tell that the devs had their budget pulled like a rug from underneath them and it just petered out in the most generic conclusion ever.

I don't mind cutscenes as long as the writing isn't bloated. In a 5-minute Seekers of Adoulin cutscene, I get 5 minutes' worth of worldbuilding and information. In some other storylines (even in XI), a 5-minute cutscene might only reveal an NPC's name or something lol
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-05-17 10:51:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody could ever enjoy the story of the game for the first 15+ years, cause you were always having some herbert shouting at you to hurry up and finish the cut or they would teleport without you.

I barely understood any of the story at all till I started using trusts.
[+]
By Ovalidal 2024-05-17 11:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Needless to say, understanding the plots and the lore makes the stories much more enjoyable. This also requires a lot of careful reading, and some people aren't into that. Nothing wrong with that though.
[+]
By Dodik 2024-05-17 13:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I enjoyed the story up to and including Zilart, and sat through all the cutscenes with interest.

After the monstrosity that was CoP at launch, my interest waned to a nadir. I can't stand to look at another CS since.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
Server: Asura
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-05-17 14:12:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I get irrationally angry every time a CS pops up now, the TVR ones nearly made me blow a gasket. I don't wanna watch this ***, just give me the gear and let me move on.

RadialArcana said: »
Nobody could ever enjoy the story of the game for the first 15+ years, cause you were always having some herbert shouting at you to hurry up and finish the cut or they would teleport without you.

I barely understood any of the story at all till I started using trusts.

Yea, some of the missions early on were stupid. The level caps in CoP being prime example of trying to force difficulty on people especially when inventory was so limited.

I tried though, I really did, I just couldn't take it. I'd rather watch paint dry.
[+]
By Draylo 2024-05-20 07:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually really enjoyed them tbh. I disliked how they used stupid pictures to convey scenes and flashbacks, but that was due to XIV... so what can you do. The storyline itself for Adoulin was enjoyable and I liked the characters a lot, just not for everyone I guess. I still enjoy doing WoTG and how emotional/dramatic the scenes were, XI had a lot of good stuff from CoP onward compared to most MMOs if you ask me.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jhesi
Server: Bahamut
user: Jessie
By Bahamut.Jhesi 2024-05-20 10:40:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
The level caps in CoP being prime example of trying to force difficulty on people especially when inventory was so limited.
I actually found them to be just the right of challenge for me. The level caps meant you could make incremental progress as you were leveling up, and enemies having True Sight through dungeons meant there was some tension to try and avoid them to save time. Then the boss at the end would require decent strategy, and maybe a second or third attempt.

The downside of course was that if you didn't succeed, it oftentimes meant that - in addition to losing precious EXP - you also had to start the quest from scratch. Extremely punishing. Even losing once felt like crap. But then we always reminisce about Chains of Promathia, because overcoming that challenge was truly a memorable experience.