Forum » FFXI » General » Mages vs. Brainless DDs
Mages vs. Brainless DDs
First Page 2 3 4 ... 10 11 12
 Shiva.Weewoo
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-04-23 11:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I just want to say, a class is only as easy as you make it. Every job has it's complexities and formulas and gear swaps, skilled timing, etc. to make it excel at its purpose.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tirantus
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tirantus
By Gilgamesh.Tirantus 2010-04-23 12:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Akeda said:
Hades.Rowec said:
Lakshmi.Auroralith said:
Siren.Enternius said:
It's a mage's job to keep DDs alive. If they die, it's your fault for not doing your primary role.
I feel no sympathy for a DD that is a pure mp sink and dies. I have 5 people to take care of not just them. It is the DDs job to make sure that they dont get owned every 5 seconds by the mob. Its called control. I am glad you can deal a ton of Damage but sorry mp is limited.

Beyond a one or two shot situation I never had an issue with keeping a DD alive on my RDM. If you're crying about DD's "doing it wrong" then chances are, you are on the exact same fail boat as them.

I agree with this. Aside from TP moves that happen at the worst possible time I've never had any problems keeping people alive or having to worry about MP as SCH. A RDM shouldn't either and a WHM/SCH is the last person I'd expect to complain about MP or healing aggro.

Mages have it easy compared to DDs.

Maybe if all you do on sch is AoE SS/phalanx, cure, repeat. Keep in mind most mages don't have the luxury of turning their buffs into an AoE. Imagine if you were expected to keep stoneskin and/or phalanx up on EVERY party member and had to cast each spell individually, expected to drop a debuff or two on every mob, and also expected to main heal.

That is whats expected to be the "average" mage in most exp parties. Keep in mind this is with very little magic support for you. As most brd's will be pulling so they sub /nin, and also have a hard time keeping ballad on you because they are almost constantly pulling.

All a DD has to do to be considered average is use a JA and WS when their TP is at 100%. This disparity in expectation between mages and melee has been prevalent in the game for years now. It's a singular reason I do not under any circumstances merit on RDM anymore. Being saddled with 50% of the parties responsibility just isn't fun. I don't care if a party could promise me 50k an hour. If it's not fun I'm not doing it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Stunx
Server: Leviathan
user: Bungie
By Leviathan.Stunx 2010-04-23 12:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

this game is way easy yet there will always be brainless DD.. as well as mages.. its all about the person playing the job and their understanding of the game and/or lack of it.
 Sylph.Spency
Server: Sylph
user: Spencyono
By Sylph.Spency 2010-04-23 12:19:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I engage and auto-follow mobs in besieged!

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-23 12:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Spency said:
When I'm pulling on BRD, I generally have to focus 100% so I get ticked off when I see DD slow to engage and what not

QFT, it's frustrating as hell to me.

I just had a really good merit pt on brd, and everyone was /nin. I try to tell them not to, but no-one ever listens.

it was 25k an hour so I don't mind tbh.

Nice for the extra though.
By rainlab 2010-04-23 12:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said:
Now forgive my ignorance here but a sam/nin has access to 6 shadows initially then what he can get out of Seigan Third Eye so how can he be the one constantly taking damage?

3 Possible Reasons:

1. The SAM/NIN was likely doing the most damage.

2. Third Eye, even with Seigan, can be very random. It can anticipate as many as 5+ hits and as few as a single hit.

3. Ever try casting Utsusemi: Ichi with Seigan up? It's like casting an AM spell; not to mention the ridiculous recast timer.

Personally, when going SAM/NIN, I don't even use Seigan. I use Third Eye alone to bridge Ichi and Ni when needed. That tends to keep me alive and healthy longer.

You almost make it seem like a SAM/NIN should take less damage than a NIN...
 Fenrir.Fdeath
Server: Fenrir
user: FireDeath
By Fenrir.Fdeath 2010-04-23 12:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Tripster said:
DDs can play watching tv, scratching their balls and sniffing their fingers, eating, talking on the phone. No wonder it's a few ppl that can actually play mages on end game activities.

lol if you was in my merite PT you could scratch your ball night long and afk 45 min and no one would die lol is resaon we dont merite anymore with whm, sch, or rdm, [IS OPTIONAL]
Siren.Enternius said:
It's a mage's job to keep DDs alive. If they die, it's your fault for not doing your primary role.

situational, when i see these stupid DD SAM/WAR, MNK/WAR and not using they seigan/third eye, doubt is MAGE fault. Nor is they fault when 1 PLD overact to keep all hate on him and receive 2x 1k DMG in a row. Also funny to see DD in dynamis engage next mob with 60 HP left tossing all hate on MAGE.. dumb ppl there a lots, but saying all DD hmm that wrong.
Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume said:
brainless mages are worse :(

OMG yes, all these BLM AM II @ start of everything then runing they *** off making all DD loose TP, seriously they should scratch they ball more!! lmao.
Shiva.Flionheart said:
(the constant AFKers are Mithra 95% of the time too.)
woot i am in the 5%, now i feel special :)

But seriously when all DD is playing they job correctly, that not even a probleme. Main probleme i can tell you EZ since that been the same probleme last 2~3 yr, ninja are too pussy to tank, and DD too busy to DMG careless the HP they loose slowing down the PT. Like i say we do merite PT now whitout whm, rdm, sch and we still do 28k/h... We could do more, but ppl @ bottom camp yell @ us: STOP TAKING OUR BIRD lol...
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-23 12:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd only go sam/war to a merit pt to kill stuff faster instead of killing slowly and having the mob wipe shadows all the time.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-23 12:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

NNK/WAR doesn't take that much damage if they put counterstance up honestly
By rainlab 2010-04-23 12:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
NNK/WAR doesn't take that much damage if they put counterstance up honestly
NNK/WAR... >.>

I guess if a Ninja and Monk had a child...
 Odin.Trelan
Server: Odin
user: trelan
By Odin.Trelan 2010-04-23 12:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Akeda said:
Hades.Rowec said:
Lakshmi.Auroralith said:
Siren.Enternius said:
I feel no sympathy for a DD that is a pure mp sink and dies. I have 5 people to take care of not just them. It is the DDs job to make sure that they dont get owned every 5 seconds by the mob. Its called control. I am glad you can deal a ton of Damage but sorry mp is limited.
Beyond a one or two shot situation I never had an issue with keeping a DD alive on my RDM. If you're crying about DD's "doing it wrong" then chances are, you are on the exact same fail boat as them.
I agree with this. Aside from TP moves that happen at the worst possible time I've never had any problems keeping people alive or having to worry about MP as SCH. A RDM shouldn't either and a WHM/SCH is the last person I'd expect to complain about MP or healing aggro. Mages have it easy compared to DDs.

I would say this statement is completely untrue. We all know it is more difficult to heal or tank then it is to DD. For all DD's out there, it's all about timing and preparation. About to do a omg ober buffed pownt style diggler WS? Lets make sure it will nearly kill the mob, the mage has a good amount of mp, or you have some form of self-defense. Mages, don't over cure, use regen, have good hMP, and rest every now and then. Afk is only ok if you annouce it. By far, in meripo, the BRD has the worst job. Suck it up ppl. If you expect the BRD to work full time so should you. But yeah generalizing players by class makes me a sad panda.
[+]
 Sylph.Spency
By Sylph.Spency 2010-04-23 12:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Trelan said:
Kujata.Akeda said:
Hades.Rowec said:
Lakshmi.Auroralith said:
Siren.Enternius said:
I agree with this. Aside from TP moves that happen at the worst possible time I've never had any problems keeping people alive or having to worry about MP as SCH. A RDM shouldn't either and a WHM/SCH is the last person I'd expect to complain about MP or healing aggro. Mages have it easy compared to DDs.

I would say this statement is completely untrue. We all know it is more difficult to heal or tank then it is to DD. For all DD's out there, it's all about timing and preparation. About to do a omg ober buffed pownt style diggler WS? Lets make sure it will nearly kill the mob, the mage has a good amount of mp, or you have some form of self-defense. Mages, don't over cure, use regen, have good hMP, and rest every now and then. Afk is only ok if you annouce it. By far, in meripo, the BRD has the worst job. Suck it up ppl. If you expect the BRD to work full time so should you. But yeah generalizing players by class makes me a sad panda.

You, I like you
[+]
 Fenrir.Fdeath
By Fenrir.Fdeath 2010-04-23 12:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

MNK/WAR and counterstance?? that wont save him. Only way that would save him is if he have GIMPS gear as hell, so he never get hate.

***OR!!! and i hope you read!, he in a kick *** PT where everyone DMG like crazzy, IE: multi relic. GL on that.

For the average RANDOM pickup merite PT, *** MNK/WAR. SAM/WAR is more possible, but seriously MNK/WAR ( I NEVER see it good once. )
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-23 12:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Fdeath said:
MNK/WAR and counterstance?? that wont save him. Only way that would save him is if he have GIMPS gear as hell, so he never get hate.

***OR!!! and i hope you read!, he in a kick *** PT where everyone DMG like crazzy, IE: multi relic. GL on that.

For the average RANDOM pickup merite PT, *** MNK/WAR. SAM/WAR is more possible, but seriously MNK/WAR ( I NEVER see it good once. )
You don't need even 1 relic to have a mnk/war in a party, yet alone multiple relics. You haven't the slightest clue as to what you're talking about.
 Fenrir.Fdeath
By Fenrir.Fdeath 2010-04-23 13:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Trelan said:

Right on Trelan is exactly my point. Wish had more ppl like you understanding the game. hMP omg, every MAGE should have BEST hMP and stop crying for refresh, serisouly hMP give so tons more MP. Is not like WHM or BLM can't rest anyway. [situational of course, but most of time hMP >> refresh x100 ]
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-23 13:05:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The only real thing that gets to me that DD's have a knack of doing is going "zzz" or "Slowed" the split second it's applied. I know guys, I don't suck. Give me a *** chance.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-23 13:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aeyela said:
The only real thing that gets to me that DD's have a knack of doing is going "zzz" or "Slowed" the split second it's applied. I know guys, I don't suck. Give me a *** chance.
It's standard. There's enough mages that leave you slept or leave it on to where I don't even *** w/ the chance anymore. I type slowed while the thing is still casting if I know it's coming onto me.
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-23 13:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
It's standard. There's enough mages that leave you slept or leave it on to where I don't even *** w/ the chance anymore. I type slowed while the thing is still casting if I know it's coming onto me.

Still annoys me.
 Fenrir.Fdeath
By Fenrir.Fdeath 2010-04-23 13:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
You don't need even 1 relic to have a mnk/war in a party, yet alone multiple relics. You haven't the slightest clue as to what you're talking about.

no i am not, yet i didnt see 1 MNK/WAR doing what your saying, not even my own MNK. your theory is close to say DRG/WAR could do good in merite PT. i am sorry, i wan see a video of that in action.
 Sylph.Spency
By Sylph.Spency 2010-04-23 13:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aeyela said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Still annoys me.

By rainlab 2010-04-23 13:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Fdeath said:
woot i am in the 5%, now i feel special :)

Not to burst your bubble... but Flionheart stated that 95% of AFKers are Mithra. Not that 95% of Mithra are AFKers. If you're in the 5%, then you're implying that you are a non-mithra AFKer...

Regardless, you can still feel special though. :)
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-23 13:11:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Fdeath said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

no i am not, yet i didnt see 1 MNK/WAR doing what your saying, not even my own MNK. your theory is close to say DRG/WAR could do good in merite PT. i am sorry, i wan see a video of that in action.

Merit without an e.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-23 13:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Fdeath said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

I fail to see how mnk doesn't work when sam and drg do. Especially considering I FULL TIME HASSO on both sam and drg, so once you take seigan out of the equation, you have the same thing between the 3 jobs.

Again, you don't know what you're talking about.
 Sylph.Spency
By Sylph.Spency 2010-04-23 13:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Fenrir.Fdeath said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Merit without an e.

He's Canadian, which means he's dumb

Oh.. :<
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-23 13:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Spency said:
He's Canadian, which means he's dumb

Oh.. :<

Fenrir.Fdeath
By Fenrir.Fdeath 2010-04-23 13:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

lol we now make fun of this on skype when we merit :) we repeat 1 zillion time, i am zzz, i am zzz, i am zz, i am still zz, zz i am, and so on :) gosh our merite PT are hell fun.

Skype + Merite PT ( Try it ) everyone on same page, everyone make joke, joy joy, beleive me, you dont see time going also lol, all you know is 'woah 70k exp already?, or WOW is already 6am >< jeez.
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-23 13:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Fdeath said:
lol we now make fun of this on skype when we merit :) we repeat 1 zillion time, i am zzz, i am zzz, i am zz, i am still zz, zz i am, and so on :) gosh our merite PT are hell fun.

Skype Merite PT ( Try it ) everyone on same page, everyone make joke, joy joy, beleive me, you dont see time going also lol, all you know is 'woah 70k exp already?, or WOW is already 6am >< jeez.

<_<
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-23 13:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aeyela said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Still annoys me.
Oh well, blame your fellow mages that suck for that. They put the habit on the DDs to do it.
By rainlab 2010-04-23 13:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aeyela said:

I don't do it personally, but they're probably just trying to get into your status removal "queue". They're simply taking the safe route and letting you know "just in case" you didn't catch it. If you continue to remove stats in a timely manner, they'll likely stop letting you know.
 Sylph.Spency
By Sylph.Spency 2010-04-23 13:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aeyela said:
Fenrir.Fdeath said:

Skype Merite PT ( Try it ) everyone on same page, everyone make joke, joy joy, beleive me, you dont see time going also lol, all you know is 'woah 70k exp already?, or WOW is already 6am >< jeez.

FTFY
First Page 2 3 4 ... 10 11 12