A Time For Change In My Life. Need Some Opinions Or Thoughts Please! [Navy]

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » A time for change in my life. Need some opinions or thoughts please! [Navy]
A time for change in my life. Need some opinions or thoughts please! [Navy]
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-21 08:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

First off, lolNavy.

Sorry. As a Marine I have to say it.

Sevourn is absolutely correct. Bottom of the totem pole sucks. Fortunately I showed early on what I was capable of (not always by choice either) so I tended to get jobs and responsibilities above my rank. Good in that I don't always get stuck with the stupid ***. Bad because of higher expectations and more responsibilities.

Back on the subject of MEPS and your job. I wouldn't enlist until they gave me the job I wanted at the duty station I wanted. Due to my ASVAB score (93 or 94) they agreed. I should've asked for a bonus while I was at it... (I enlisted at 17)
Asura.Zekky said:
You think the Air Force gives a damn I used to be assistant manager of a retail store for over a year? Hell no. They don't give two damns. I'm going to be an E3 and I'm going to be cleaning up trash in the mess hall. I'm going to have to pick up trash. Oh it will be glorious.
I lol'd because it's so true.
Asura.Zekky said:
Also remember! Learn to not lock your knees.
QFT

At my bootcamp graduation we actually had a Drill Instructor pass out. It was 120F that day.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-21 08:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Another thing: Keep in mind that at boot camp their goal is to break you down as low as they can get you and then build you back up. Learn not to take things personally and keep in mind that it's not how things will be once you're done. (Aside from painting rocks, raking sand, and other meaningless tasks)
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-21 08:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It probably wouldn't even matter if you was a store manager or corporate bighead honestly.

and btw lolMarine

That's just for you :P

And really it shouldn't matter because the things you learn in any military branch starting out will put those experiences to shame anyhow.
 Ifrit.Tulnig
Server: Ifrit
user: Tulnig
By Ifrit.Tulnig 2010-01-21 08:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You should join the Navy, it's a great idea and you'll never regret it. This is the point in your life that things will begin to turn around for you. Good luck and I wish you the best.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-21 08:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Figures it's Navy pilots (what, wasn't good enough for the airforce?) making fun of the Marines. Jealousy at it's best.

(I'm waiting on the video to buffer so I can watch it. Cellphone internet is so slow this morning.)
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-21 08:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Tulnig said:
You should join the Navy, it's a great idea and you'll never regret it. This is the point in your life that things will begin to turn around for you. Good luck and I wish you the best.

Thanks and i'm sure it will.
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Figures it's Navy pilots (what, wasn't good enough for the airforce?) making fun of the Marines. Jealousy at it's best.

(I'm waiting on the video to buffer so I can watch it. Cellphone internet is so slow this morning.)

And lol~. I better brush up on my military jabs. I'm sure the navy is most picked on for the cracker jack boy outfits and gay sailor comments lol.

It's funny becuase the recruiter office had 4 branch offices in 1 building... i think it was the army that walked by and yelled "get to work navy" lol.

I bet the tension in that office is awesome.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-21 08:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL i just finished watching the whole video myself LOLOLOL @ ending.

I only watched the first 2 minutes the first time lol.

XD
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-21 08:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:

XD
I made it to jean shorts before it stopped buffering. I lol'd.

I hate shorts.
 Fairy.Laia
Server: Fairy
user: Laia
By Fairy.Laia 2010-01-21 08:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
First off, lolNavy. Sorry. As a Marine I have to say it. Sevourn is absolutely correct. Bottom of the totem pole sucks. Fortunately I showed early on what I was capable of (not always by choice either) so I tended to get jobs and responsibilities above my rank. Good in that I don't always get stuck with the stupid ***. Bad because of higher expectations and more responsibilities. Back on the subject of MEPS and your job. I wouldn't enlist until they gave me the job I wanted at the duty station I wanted. Due to my ASVAB score (93 or 94) they agreed. I should've asked for a bonus while I was at it... (I enlisted at 17)
Asura.Zekky said:
You think the Air Force gives a damn I used to be assistant manager of a retail store for over a year? Hell no. They don't give two damns. I'm going to be an E3 and I'm going to be cleaning up trash in the mess hall. I'm going to have to pick up trash. Oh it will be glorious.
I lol'd because it's so true.
Asura.Zekky said:
Also remember! Learn to not lock your knees.
QFT At my bootcamp graduation we actually had a Drill Instructor pass out. It was 120F that day.
This is so damn true!!! in boot camp they teach to not move, no matter what. They teach you to build team work, BUT if the dude in front of you passed the hell out and falls down while marching, you also get thought to keep moving without breaking ranks and walk over the guy that just passed out. So am sure no one in their mind dared to walk up to the Drill instructor to see if he still alive. "walk over him, our general is here we gotta look gooooood!!!"

This 2 guys hit the spot(Sevourn, Krizz). DONT LET THEM JERK YOU AROUND! Counselor/Recruiter's job is to just get your in. They are the least to care what job you get into. You have to push them around and let them know that "this job" is the one you want, period. You just have to trully research the jobs you want/are interested in and read beyond the scrap book they give you with job descriptions. A bum can pass through MEP lol.
 Fairy.Laia
By Fairy.Laia 2010-01-21 08:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Each branch has something screwed to say about each other all the time. Unfortunately the navy is at the bottom of the bucket followed by the Air Force.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-21 08:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL...

check this out:

Marine Corps Rules:
1. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
2. Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.
3. Have a plan.
4. Have a back-up plan, because the first one probably won't work.
5. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet ­ even your friends…
6. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."
7. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
8. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral & diagonal preferred.)
9. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
10. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
11. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
12. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
13. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating your intention to shoot.

Navy SEAL's Rules:
1. Look very cool in sunglasses.
2. Kill every living thing within view.
3. Adjust speedo.
4. Check hair in mirror.

US Army Rangers Rules:
1. Walk in 50 miles wearing 75 pound rucksack while starving.
2. Locate individuals requiring killing.
3. Request permission via radio from "Higher" to perform killing.
4. Curse bitterly when mission is aborted.
5. Walk out 50 miles wearing a 75 pound rucksack while starving.

US Army Rules:
1. Curse bitterly when receiving operational order.
2. Make sure there is extra ammo and extra coffee.
3. Curse bitterly.
4. Curse bitterly.
5. Do not listen to 2nd LT's; it can get you killed.
6. Curse bitterly.

US Air Force Rules:
1. Have a cocktail.
2. Adjust temperature on air-conditioner.
3. See what's on HBO.
4. Ask "what is a gunfight?"
5. Request more funding from Congress with a "killer" Power Point presentation.
6. Wine & dine 'key' Congressmen, invite DOD & defense industry executives.
7. Receive funding, set up new command and assemble assets.
8. Declare the assets "strategic" and never deploy them operationally.
9. Hurry to make 13:45 tee-time.
10. Make sure the base is as far as possible from the conflict but close enough to have tax exemption.

US Navy Rules:
1. Go to Sea.
2. Drink Coffee.
3. Deploy Marines

Credit: http://www.strategypage.com/humor/articles/military_jokes_20071040.asp
 Fairy.Laia
By Fairy.Laia 2010-01-21 09:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Am in the Air Force and dammit! That is so damn true!!! Except #4

it should be "What's a gun?"

That death by Power Point.... that should be #1 ¬_¬
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-21 09:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Laia said:
A bum can pass through MEP lol.

Well now that certainly makes me feel better about MEPS tomorrow or tuesday lmao.

The only concern i have at all is my teeth as i have a few cavities and a cracked tooth in the back. I've been without medical/dental for 7 years and i can't afford even an examination really.

But i know dental is short term care anyways. I snack all the *** time... I'm amazing I'm not fatter or have diabetes.

Even my buddy makes fun of me saying I'm the only guy he knows who buys a whole container of cupcakes and eats half of them before the night is over lol.

But yeah.... thanks for everyone's replies and thoughts. It's direly needed and just wanted some general feedback since everything I've been doing has been reading or listening.
 Fairy.Laia
By Fairy.Laia 2010-01-21 09:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont worry. They will surely get in there and fix them all! it wont disqualify you on your medical examinations. All of the examination will be free to you and after all set and done and your in. You will be able to see your doctor as much as you please/need them. It's part of your contract, in return for 24/7 services to the goverment.

Only severe health condition could make you fail MEP. or if you cant run 1.5~2 miles in about 12min (Avg time)
Again~ A bum can pass through MEPs XD
Feed him, Give him clothes and a bed, he will run for you. "Jump when i say JUMP" ^_^
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-21 09:18:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Do they test that at MEPS though? i thought for running and pushups that was all evaluated at boot camp?

I mean i might be able to run that but it would honestly kick my *** afterward.

I expected MEPS to do the following:

1) Take blood
2) Finger up my *** for prostate exam
3) Pee in a cup (twice i think i read)
4) Have me strip down to my underwear and do a bunch of crazy ***like duck walks or whatever.
5) Fill out and verify tons of paperwork
6) Visit someone who goes over what jobs i qualify for and what is available (supposedly available)
7) Swear In
8) Figure out or determine when i'm leaving for boot camp.

If I'm missing things please let me know so i can better prepare lol.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-21 09:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:

XD
LMAO

I restarted my computer and cellphone and finally got to watch the video. That's hilarious. Sadly, I know some Marines that that would fit pretty well.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-21 09:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

dude i just mass emailed that to some friends.

very epic.

After boot camp and A school once i get stationed will i be able to bring my laptop and/or DSLR camera?

It takes HD video and i have some evil *** ideas that i'm sure would pass boredom time when off duty.

I'm sure others might appreciate something to do lol.

Plus what better time to take photo's and attempt to get some memories while i can.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-21 09:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Do they test that at MEPS though? i thought for running and pushups that was all evaluated at boot camp?

I mean i might be able to run that but it would honestly kick my *** afterward.

I expected MEPS to do the following:

1) Take blood
2) Finger up my *** for prostate exam
3) Pee in a cup (twice i think i read)
4) Have me strip down to my underwear and do a bunch of crazy ***like duck walks or whatever.
5) Fill out and verify tons of paperwork
6) Visit someone who goes over what jobs i qualify for and what is available (supposedly available)
7) Swear In
8) Figure out or determine when i'm leaving for boot camp.

If I'm missing things please let me know so i can better prepare lol.

1)I don't think I got blood drawn. Could be mistaken or I might've done it prior to the actual shipping out. I was in DEP program for 7 months.
2)Finger does not go up the ***.
3)Peed in cup once.
4)Yep.
5) Double Yep.
6) This was done for me prior. While there it was simply confirming it was what I was supposed to have. Make sure you know your job code and description. It's not unheard of for mistakes to be made and you end up with the wrong code on your paperwork.
7)Yep
8)MEPS is normally done as you're leaving for bootcamp. The date leaving should've been determined prior to this point. I could be mistaken. I left for bootcamp ~3 weeks early so I may have been rushed through.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-21 09:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Clinpachi said:
dude i just mass emailed that to some friends.

very epic.

After boot camp and A school once i get stationed will i be able to bring my laptop and/or DSLR camera?

It takes HD video and i have some evil *** ideas that i'm sure would pass boredom time when off duty.

I'm sure others might appreciate something to do lol.

Plus what better time to take photo's and attempt to get some memories while i can.
As you progress through schools you'll have much more freedom. A School you can usually have whatever you want. I know at my MOS School we could have whatever we wanted in our rooms (as long as it was legal). Once you're out of school and at a duty station you shouldn't have any restrictions on what you can have (except for stuff like alcohol of course. Though I'm pretty sure they don't have rules many places anymore about the amount you can have).
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-21 09:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol so my friends were *** with me about the prostate exam or no?

I'm getting a ton of arguments on both sides and I'm sitting here with the deer in the headlight look hoping the "no" side wins

LOL.

it doesn't matter... I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself for whatever i can just to make it easier.

There is nothing worse than the unexpected and while i can't prevent all of it I'd like to know as much as i can.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-21 09:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, I can tell you for sure that nobody stuck their finger up my ***. I did have to strip down (was already only in underwear anyway) and bend over for a doctor though. It was behind a screen so it's not everyone else was watching.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-21 09:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok cool because i want to do ***like this:

I mean i know I'm in for a ***storm of hard work... and i know i'm going to get mindfucked and be tired as hell through 200% of all of this.

But if i can even have REMOTELY a little bit of fun as shown in some of these videos i think I'll survive just fine lol.
 Fairy.Laia
By Fairy.Laia 2010-01-21 09:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

That MEP list is right, you didnt miss anything.
and yes, the push-up stuff and running is all in boot camp. As krizz said i believe boot camp aint hard, its all a mental break down. The one that can handle with pass with color and the one that don't, well... you'll get a good story to tell your friends back home for a goooood laugh. ^_^

After all is said and done, MEP, Boot Camp, School for your job and settle in your new station, you bring everything you own with you. and i MEAN everything. Military will do a one time move of all your junk to your new station ^_^ (no offense on the junk comment)

Am at work (LOL i know, pfft at work and on FFXIah XD)
By brahmdut 2010-01-21 09:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hiya first of all 8yr USN vet just got out a couple of years ago i have a few question you should ask your self or recruiter before you sign your life away.

1. How do you do when you are told to clean toilets not just one but 20+
2. How do you do doing grunt work for the next 4 years
3. What job are you going to do( may change 1 and/or 2)
4. you know that you will be on a boat for 3~4 years and if you stay in
you will go in to a combat zone between station changes for about 6
months
5. Everyone will be above you, you know the 20year old kid that has been there for 2 years will tell you to scrub toilets and you will do it
6. you college time don't count for crap unless you are going to be an officer
7. GET IT IN WRITING OR YOU DON'T GET IT yes your recruiter is a used car sales man and he will tell you any thing he can to get you in.
8. are you ready to be broken
9. have you ever closed all your doors and windows to your house and stayed in side for extended periods of time
10. how are you with sleep depervation(sorry cant spell dam you "F7")

just remember that your recruiter is a sales man and he is out there to get you to join his branch. don't lie to your recruiter(to a point don't say you smoke pot all day every day {it's just a few times a week}) don't tell different recruiters different things.

when you join you will be called a Seamen Recruit
when you get to your first school you will not walk on the grass
you will jump when some one yells "Hay Boot camp"
don't bring much of any thing with you it will be sealed in a bag for 3 months so if you have to much it will be sent some ware IE to your mom and dad's house

no matter what job you get have everything for the last well 10~years .. all speeding tickets.. all credit card information.. ALL loans

any way what job are you looking in to I was a MM2 (mechanist mate) E5

By brahmdut 2010-01-21 09:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

remember your USMC check you get is from the Department of the Navy
By brahmdut 2010-01-21 09:37:42
Link | Quote | Reply

o ya i cant edit my crap .. .
Loads of hard work don't pay off unless you work for the right person
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-21 09:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Laia said:
That MEP list is right, you didnt miss anything.
and yes, the push-up stuff and running is all in boot camp. As krizz said i believe boot camp aint hard, its all a mental break down. The one that can handle with pass with color and the one that don't, well... you'll get a good story to tell your friends back home for a goooood laugh. ^_^

After all is said and done, MEP, Boot Camp, School for your job and settle in your new station, you bring everything you own with you. and i MEAN everything. Military will do a one time move of all your junk to your new station ^_^ (no offense on the junk comment)

Am at work (LOL i know, pfft at work and on FFXIah XD)
When I went to bootcamp we had a guy flip out in processing. We had 3-4 days of nothing but going from room to room doing ***. During this time, the guy just flips out and starts screaming "I can take this anymore!". The instructor (wasn't even a drill instructor yet, we got those after processing) looked at him and said "Can't handle what? Waking up at 5AM?"

It was lolworthy. Needless to say he didn't go much further.

I'm at work as well.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-21 09:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

brahmdut said:
Hiya first of all 8yr USN vet just got out a couple of years ago i have a few question you should ask your self or recruiter before you sign your life away.

1. How do you do when you are told to clean toilets not just one but 20
3. What job are you going to do( may change 1 and/or 2)
you will go in to a combat zone between station changes for about 6
months
5. Everyone will be above you, you know the 20year old kid that has been there for 2 years will tell you to scrub toilets and you will do it
7. GET IT IN WRITING OR YOU DON'T GET IT yes your recruiter is a used car sales man and he will tell you any thing he can to get you in.
9. have you ever closed all your doors and windows to your house and stayed in side for extended periods of time
10. how are you with sleep depervation(sorry cant spell dam you "F7")

just remember that your recruiter is a sales man and he is out there to get you to join his branch. don't lie to your recruiter(to a point don't say you smoke pot all day every day {it's just a few times a week}) don't tell different recruiters different things.

when you join you will be called a Seamen Recruit
when you get to your first school you will not walk on the grass
you will jump when some one yells "Hay Boot camp"
don't bring much of any thing with you it will be sealed in a bag for 3 months so if you have to much it will be sent some ware IE to your mom and dad's house

no matter what job you get have everything for the last well 10~years .. all speeding tickets.. all credit card information.. ALL loans

any way what job are you looking in to I was a MM2 (mechanist mate) E5

I've already supplied all jobs and places i've lived since 16 years old. I already did all of that security clearance computer work.

As it is in my life... i already have to put up with ***that makes cleaning toilets and scrubbing floors look like a holiday i should be thankful for.

And let me answer these questions:

1. How do you do when you are told to clean toilets not just one but 20
A)I would gladly do it as it is something to pass time and get my mind off of things.

I've played *** at over 10 jobs where people working there 2 weeks longer think they have seniority and cry to managers over anything

3. What job are you going to do
Anything with computer or IT work or even ATC (Air Traffic Control)

you will go in to a combat zone between station changes for about 6 months.
I do know that and it's part of why i picked the navy. I'd rather be always moving and traveling than stuck in one place for a long period of time.

Again this isn't different from my every day life, everyone thinks they are over me and i'm already not respected by most family and some friends

Negative, because i have 76 credit hours I'll be at least an E-2 for sure. I think i have enough to be an E-3 but they subtract 12 for training purposes

7.GET IT IN WRITING OR YOU DON'T GET IT yes your recruiter is a used car sales man and he will tell you any thing he can to get you in.
Already working on the finer details and making sure everything is air tight and that i understand what's going on

If that means becoming a better person with a better quality of life then yes

Yes, i tend to like solitude and quietness sometimes.

10. how are you with sleep depervation
I already stay up until 5am-6am and get up at noon. Even if it's twice as bad as that i run fine on low sleep/energy.

I hope that answers your question ^_^

I know what i'm getting myself into luckily. I'm not some high school kid with no knowledge or hardship through life.

Being 25 and gone through so many things already i welcome this kind of change especially when it means a better life.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-21 09:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You've got the right attitude. Keep it up and you'll do just fine.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-21 09:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
You've got the right attitude. Keep it up and you'll do just fine.

I really think i do too... even my recruiter can tell i mean business. I don't however think i know everything but I've planned for as much as you possibly can.

That's part of why i made this thread. I want more information... i want more experiences...

I need more power captain.

I need to know everything i can and mentally prepare. If you check out those boot camp videos in the OP on page 1, i know that there is more to that too... i know they scream at you and much more.

But those videos about boot camp are a great starting image.
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18