Ranking The Final Fantasy Series ~ MSN Article

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ranking the Final Fantasy Series ~ MSN article
Ranking the Final Fantasy Series ~ MSN article
First Page 2
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2010-01-07 16:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranking the Final Fantasy Series

http://gameon.msn.com/articles/4317/Ranking-the-Final-Fantasy-Series?gt1=28155

We count down the best games in the history of the Japanese RPG tradition.

by IGN Staff

January 4, 2010 - If there's one series that completely embodies the charm of the Japanese role-playing game, it's Final Fantasy. This legendary series, which is now more than twenty years old, has grown into a universally recognizable entity, spawning spin-off action games, movies and more. With a heavy emphasis on character-driven stories and elaborate battle systems, it's easy to see why Final Fantasy has such a devoted following.

One of the most popular debates among Final Fantasy enthusiasts is the classic question: Which Final Fantasy is the best? Here at IGN, we decided it was about time we weighed in on that discussion. Considering the upcoming launch of Final Fantasy XIII this coming March and the increased buzz surrounding Square Enix's series, we set out to work. In order to assemble the list to end all lists, we collected votes from throughout the IGN staff (restricting voting to the proper numbered installments) and then rounded up a handful of our most fervent Final Fantasy devotees in order to chat about each game.

Don't forget to hit up the comments thread below to continue this epic debate. And for a perspective from someone who doesn't like the Final Fantasy series check out our rant video below.

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14266574/final-fantasy-xiii/videos/ff_rant_spc_122909.html

12. Final Fantasy XI

Jim Reilly: Final Fantasy XI took the series online in a new MMO experience that continues to be a driving force of revenue for Square Enix. Despite the fact that the game was met with mixed criticism, Final Fantasy XI garnered an impressive community of fans. Initially launched in 2002 for the PC, the title would later find its way to consoles, making an appearance on PlayStation 2 and the Xbox 360. Years later, Final Fantasy XI also remains one of the most graphically impressive titles in the MMO genre. With solid character job classes and an everlasting item creation system, fans will probably continue to play Final Fantasy XI forever…or until Final Fantasy XIV is released.

11. Final Fantasy II

Ryan Clements: The second iteration of the Final Fantasy series was the first to introduce a main cast of characters, as opposed to interchangeable Warriors of Light like in the first game. Final Fantasy II was also much more story intensive, as it followed Firion, Maria, Guy and other heroes on their quest against an evil empire. Final Fantasy II also abandoned the experience-based levels designed for the original game and went with a very different gameplay mechanic instead. As characters were used in battle, they grew more powerful based on what actions they performed. This gave Final Fantasy II a unique feel and made it a special member of the legendary franchise.

10. Final Fantasy III

Ryan Clements: Although the original NES version of Final Fantasy III never made it to the United States, the game would eventually appear on U.S. shores in the form of Final Fantasy III for the Nintendo DS. The remake, which was a full 3D affair, gave proper names to the originally nameless protagonists and gave them individual backgrounds. Of course, the presence of the powerful crystals and approaching darkness still remained. One of Final Fantasy III's most notable additions to the series is the introduction of the job system. While Final Fantasy I did have a few classes to choose from at the start of the adventure, Final Fantasy III allowed players to switch their characters' jobs at any time during the quest, giving players plenty of freedom to design their dream party.

9. Final Fantasy XII

Ryan Clements: There is a tremendous amount of debate regarding Final Fantasy XII in the RPG community. Some praise its attempt to try something new and its eye-catching visual style. Others condemn the battle system, which could be automated in such a way as to take control away from the player. Needless to say, Final Fantasy XII is a controversial member of the series (though not nearly as surprising as XI when it was first released). But it did some things well. The visuals were excellent for the PS2 generation and the game's voice acting was some of the finest in the series. There was also a tremendous amount to do besides the game's main quest, making Final Fantasy XII an incredibly long experience overall.

8. Final Fantasy I

Jeff Haynes: Four characters known as the Warriors of Light are tasked with defeating the Four Elemental Fiends and the evil knight Garland. In the process, their adventure would spawn a franchise that would last for more than twenty years and save developer Squaresoft (later Square Enix) from financial ruin. The adventure would also revolutionize how RPGs were designed, with multiple character classes (that evolved later in the game) and different kinds of magic to be wielded in battle. By today's standards, the turn-based gameplay and 8-bit sprites may seem antiquated, but the attention to storytelling, humor and gameplay set the standard for the entire franchise. The original Final Fantasy is one to be remembered.

7. Final Fantasy IX

Eduardo Vasconcellos: Though it uses many of the most notorious JRPG cliches, Final Fantasy IX was a wholly enjoyable addition to the series because it changed the focus from bleak techno-worlds found in previous installments to a vibrant fantasy adventure starring a fun, diverse and entirely likeable cast. The fact that this installment does away with the morose protagonist in favor of the upbeat Zidane makes it that much more appealing. When you consider other memorable characters (such as the cool Vivi), solid gameplay, a great art style and an engaging narrative that culminates in an extraordinary battle (along with a truly fantastic epilogue), Final Fantasy IX is certainly a worthy installment of this venerable series.

6. Final Fantasy V

Meghan Sullivan: The fifth entry in the Final Fantasy series is best known for its impressive job system, which is similar to the one in Final Fantasy III but with notable improvements. For example, Final Fantasy V's job system allowed characters to not only learn various skills and abilities through different classes, but it also permitted some of those abilities to be transferred over to another job. The game also featured the first Active Time Battle gauge, which let the player see which character's turn was up next in battle and plan their attacks accordingly. Although Final Fantasy V was not a huge milestone in the series like Final Fantasy VII and X were, it is often cited as a fan favorite for its original storyline and memorable music and gameplay.

5. Final Fantasy VIII

Jeff Haynes: How exactly do you follow up a well-loved installment in a popular franchise? In the case of Final Fantasy VIII, you attempt to stray away from the look and gameplay of Final Fantasy VII to create a story that stands on its own. The tale revolved around Squall Leonhart, a young SeeD cadet, and his friends who find themselves continually facing off against a rival student: Seifer. Although the game will always be in the shadow of its predecessor, Final Fantasy VIII was unique in a number of ways, such as the changes it sported to the magic system, which required characters to draw spells from their opponents before they could be used. Furthermore, the ability to pull the trigger on Squall's Gunblade to provide extra damage during attacks was a notable addition.

4. Final Fantasy X

Meghan Sullivan: Like Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X was a major milestone for the franchise. Not only was it a huge leap forward in terms of graphics (dropping pre-rendered backgrounds for 3D areas) and gameplay (introducing the Conditional Turn-Based Battle system and allowing players to swap characters in and out of their party during battle), but it was the first Final Fantasy to feature voice acting. These features, together with a compelling storyline and a stellar soundtrack, have solidified Final Fantasy X as one of the most popular games in the franchise. To date it has sold more than six million copies and is the only Final Fantasy game thus far to have its own sequel.

3. Final Fantasy IV

Colin Moriarty: Drama. Excitement. Intrigue. Romance. Final Fantasy IV had it all. Initially released Stateside as Final Fantasy II, this classic Super Nintendo JRPG did what few games managed to do before it: tell a riveting, thought-provoking story that dictated the course of the entire game. In an era of primitive 16-bit graphics and limited storage capabilities, Square managed to create what is now considered not only one of the best Final Fantasy games, but also one of the finest RPGs in gaming history. Cecil's righteous rebellion against his own kingdom and the tale that followed has become the stuff of RPG legend, thanks to this ambitious title that proved once and for all that JRPGs were a force to be reckoned with.

2. Final Fantasy VII

Ryan Clements: If any game deserves special recognition in our ranking, it's Final Fantasy VII. The first 3D iteration of the series, Final Fantasy VII introduced gamers to a fantastic cyberpunk world and a startlingly unique cast of characters. Not only did it boast spectacular visuals at the time, but the combat system was also a real treat, as players could collect the powerful substance known as Materia in order to learn magic and summon helpful creatures. Final Fantasy VII also featured one of the most iconic villains in the series: Sephiroth. His cold eyes and twisted mind have been framed in the memories of many Final Fantasy enthusiasts, and for good reason. Players were also rewarded at the game's conclusion with an astounding ending that was discussed for years following the game's launch.

1. Final Fantasy VI

Ryan Clements: Final Fantasy VI is, without a doubt, the finest Final Fantasy game created in the old, sprite-based style -- before the franchise made the jump to the PlayStation. With one of the most well-developed, diverse casts of all time and a pristine battle system, Final Fantasy VI will always be fondly remembered. Few gamers could forget the bitter melancholy of watching Terra and her captors march through the dark snow towards Narshe, or hold back the heartache as Cyan kneels over his family, cruelly murdered by the mad Kefka. Final Fantasy VI also threw a massive curveball at players in the form of the World of Ruin, which completely changes the physical and emotional landscape of the experience. These brilliant strokes are just some of the many reasons why Final Fantasy VI is the best of the franchise.

[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-01-07 17:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
[h2]1. Final Fantasy VI[/h2]

Ryan Clements: Final Fantasy VI is, without a doubt, the finest Final Fantasy game created in the old, sprite-based style -- before the franchise made the jump to the PlayStation. With one of the most well-developed, diverse casts of all time and a pristine battle system, Final Fantasy VI will always be fondly remembered. Few gamers could forget the bitter melancholy of watching Terra and her captors march through the dark snow towards Narshe, or hold back the heartache as Cyan kneels over his family, cruelly murdered by the mad Kefka. Final Fantasy VI also threw a massive curveball at players in the form of the World of Ruin, which completely changes the physical and emotional landscape of the experience. These brilliant strokes are just some of the many reasons why Final Fantasy VI is the best of the franchise.
<3
[+]
By semimmortal 2010-01-07 17:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

They've got the 1st and last place right, the rest are all out of order (FFVII 2nd place? FFIX at 7th?!)

^lolIGN
[+]
 Fairy.Darkei
Server: Fairy
user: Darkei
By Fairy.Darkei 2010-01-07 17:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

a bad ranking, talk about the game but, what is good what is bad?

why ff# on # place?

VI on 1º is the only good of this list, kill me but VII is overrated
[+]
 Fenrir.Didgist
Server: Fenrir
user: Didgist
By Fenrir.Didgist 2010-01-07 17:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

FF2 should be in the top 3. Amazing story/immersion.

EDIT: I'm HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, USA 2(JP 4) is #3 which is fine by me :)
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-01-07 17:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely a good choice for #1.
But I'd put XI ahead of II, VIII, and XII.
VIII should def be last place.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Gavvy
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kumbai
By Quetzalcoatl.Gavvy 2010-01-07 17:16:30
Link | Quote | Reply

FF6 and FF7 should swap places, with F8 and F9 taking the 4 and 5 spot :3

7 was my first FF and will always be my favourite... It just had so much more than all of the other FFs.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-07 17:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually thought ff2 was the worst of them <_< story is basically: go save the world from this empire! Oh wait, he has demonic powers for some reason. Oh, there's one of my character's brother's from the beginning... he was the Dark Knight?! Who you only see about 2-3 times in the game prior to this and has no character development or real involvement?!

A bit acidic maybe but it was an old game, what can you expect really? I hated the level up system as it was horribly unbalanced and grindy (especially magic) - note I'm talking original here, PSP/GBA versions fixed it somewhat.

The world map music however is amazing.

EDIT: Oh, you meant ff4. Carry on then!

Personally, I think:

1. FFVII (first one ever so could be biased here)
2. FFVI
3. FFX
[4. FFV
5. FFVIII
6. FFIX]
7. FFXII
8. FFIV
9. FFI
10. FFII

of the main series. Never played 3 and not including XI.

The ones in the square bracket are REALLY close for me!
 Fairy.Darkei
By Fairy.Darkei 2010-01-07 17:21:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Gavvy said:
FF6 and FF7 should swap places, with F8 and F9 taking the 4 and 5 spot :3

7 was my first FF and will always be my favourite... It just had so much more than all of the other FFs.

this ranking is a personal ranking of IGN as you ranking.

idk why start comment about a ranking by random guys "experts on vdeogames" all have favorites and all enjoy one
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-01-07 17:38:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say:

1. VI - Greatest one what else can you say?
2. IV - Only reason it's not #1 is no customization of characters.
3. VII - Great graphics, but sucked in people who thought this was the series.
4. I - The one that started it all, still the hardest one to beat.
5. V - A nice story, awesome customization.
6. III - Considering when this came out (I'm not talking about when it
was officially released in the US) the system was similar to V.

7. X - Great PS2 Graphics, better than the ones below it.
8. IX - A little childish and looks like a cartoon, but a relief from the awful VIII.

9. XI - Wouldn't be talking on here now without it, lol.
10. XII - Makes me want to play XI after a few battles.
11. II - Silliness. Good concept, very bad implementation. Click and cancel to level up, LOL!

12. VIII - Worse FF ever made! Horrible magic system, HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE story line, horrible ending, the only thing even remotely good about it is the GF system. Hitting buttons as fast as you can for more damage?! Turn based games aren't about hitting the buttons as fast as you can, that's what Mario Party is for! I could go on about how bad this game was, but that's enough, lol.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2010-01-07 17:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Darkei said:

FF6 is the new FF7. Just sayin'.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-01-07 17:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Darkei said:

Eh? If it's not VII it's something else, you should learn to accept people's eagerness to bandwagon on the mainstream.
 Fairy.Darkei
By Fairy.Darkei 2010-01-07 18:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Baelorn said:
Fairy.Darkei said:

FF6 is the new FF7. Just sayin'.

hmmm maybe yes, maybe 40% who say "FFVI is the best" not touched a Snes/gameboyadvance/emulator but no want look fool saying "FFVII is the best"

@Beelshamen: So, I enjoy play FFVII on 1997-98, but nothing more, no is the best ff, a great jump to 3D rpg and first rpg for many ppl who save a nice memory of this, but about : history, gameplay, tactics, characters, and more etc, falls short

is my opinion as the ranking of people who do not care (ign guys) peace
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Kunimitsu
By Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu 2010-01-07 18:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

FFVIII No 1 just for irvine kinneas.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-01-07 18:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Every single person I know or that I've seen that says FFVII is the best is always because it was their first FF game. The gameplay is horrible, the 30 second intro to every battle, the 5 minute long summon times, the extreme blockyness of the characters... so many things against it that really push it from the #1 spot in my mind.

The story is good, I'll give it that. I'm not a FFVII hater, just a FFVII fanboy hater. The game needs to be remade.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Holyman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Holyman
By Ragnarok.Holyman 2010-01-07 19:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Every single person I know or that I've seen that says FFVII is the best is always because it was their first FF game. The gameplay is horrible, the 30 second intro to every battle, the 5 minute long summon times, the extreme blockyness of the characters... so many things against it that really push it from the #1 spot in my mind. The story is good, I'll give it that. I'm not a FFVII hater, just a FFVII fanboy hater. The game needs to be remade.
^
exactly , the game is so over-rated IMO , I hate how SE kept releasing like 643643643564 installments about Sephiroth , Cloud & FFVII other characters , beside the movie & all that crap , even the story wasn't that impressive , linear for its most part , repetitive & boring .

I agree FFVI is without doubt the best , FFX is definitely waaay better than FFVII , I'd put FFX-2 too in the list , it was innovative , I liked the spherechange system , the storyline was weaker than FFX but decent , I'd take out FFXI "it's horrible game imo but I'm still playing it for some reason" .
 Seraph.Majinn
Server: Seraph
user: Cojak
By Seraph.Majinn 2010-01-07 19:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Every single person I know or that I've seen that says FFVII is the best is always because it was their first FF game. The gameplay is horrible, the 30 second intro to every battle, the 5 minute long summon times, the extreme blockyness of the characters... so many things against it that really push it from the #1 spot in my mind.

The story is good, I'll give it that. I'm not a FFVII hater, just a FFVII fanboy hater. The game needs to be remade.

Not my favorite FF but I wouldn't mind a remake either.

http://gamer.blorge.com/2009/12/28/nomura-hints-at-final-fantasy-vii-remake/
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-01-07 19:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

1. FFVI - The whole point of a RPG is the story and this one had the best overall. The characters, story and settings couldn't of been more perfect.

2. FFI - The whole series wouldn't of been here without this game. It was an awesome introduction into the genre.

3. FFVII - The only reason I have this as #3 is because it was a groundbreaking game for its time. It changed the way RPGs were made and played. I'm not a FFVII fanboy. Just going with the facts. This game's story, graphics and game play made the genre what it is today.

4. FFX - Basically the same as FFVII only for the PS2. The only drawback to this which caused it to be lower was the lack of free roaming through the world like its predecessors.

5. FFXI - The most groundbreaking of them all. Online play with other fellow players. As a current fellow player, I thoroughly enjoy this game but don't feel it's the best in the series. The game play and environments within the game make it worthy of such a high ranking but the pitfalls of being an online game and having a lot of inconsistencies due to the online gaming hold it from the top spots.

6. FFIX - I thought this game was well done and a huge step up from FFVIII. It basically took FFVII and implemented a better storyline and more interesting characters but made changes to the battle system.

7. FFXII - This game was very well thought out in my opinion. A lot of people thought the battle system was all wrong for the genre but to me it added a lot of challenge to the genre. Unfortunately it did call forth some problems with timing on actions which held it back. The characters were strong enough but more diversity would of been nice.

8. FFIV - Another strong story driven game in the series. Not much different in the graphics department when compared to its fellow NES predecessors but the story was superior and the characters were actually compelling.

9. FFV - Was a step up game play wise prior to the games before it. The battle system and job system were a breath of fresh air and made the game stand out.

10. FFII - The first of the games that utilized a main cast which made the game a bit more appealing as you grew to know and follow your characters through their journey.

11. FFIII - The job system and game play made this a decent enough game but the fact that it wasn't released in the US til years later for the DS made this a hard game to judge.

12. FFVIII - This game ranks the lowest just because it was far too different that the rest. The game play and battle system were just too convoluted. The summoning system just didn't work for me. The story wasn't all that interesting and the characters didn't really draw you into the game. You do have to give it credit for trying something different but different really hurt it the most.
[+]
 Shiva.Ninaa
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Ninaa 2010-01-07 19:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I must just be Weird.

FFVI is the only one I haven't finished >.> (well XI also, but...)

The furthest I have gotten is the WOR, and I just lost interest... I have tried several times, I don't dislike it, I just can't get into it...

V is my favorite.

IV, VII, VIII, IX, and X I loved.

I and II are ok, I liked the idea of II's level up system, but not so much it's implementation...

and because I played them out of order the DS FFIII seemed like a step backwards from V, albeit with fancier visuals which I don't really care about...

Edit: XII I enjoyed as well, but was a step backwards in quality, imo.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-07 19:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
the 30 second intro to every battle

It's longer in FFIX. I remember it used to bug me a lot when I first started playing it.
Quote:
the 5 minute long summon times

Exaggeration! The summons were fairly reasonable in that one imo...
Quote:
the extreme blockyness of the characters

Well, that's a very retrospective view :p at the time those graphics were lovely. I think there's a certain charm to the "lego block characters" too.
Quote:
even the story wasn't that impressive , linear for its most part , repetitive boring.

All RPG storylines are linear... how do you have an open one <_< unless you mean the gameplay as a whole, but ... see FFX-2. That storyline or this?

Repetitive and boring are obviously down to opinion. The FFVII storyline is a lot deeper than a lot of people give it credit for though... the main threat isn't Sephiroth for instance, which many people don't seem to grasp.

My main problem with the spinoffs is despite Cloud becoming less cold and more "human" at the end of each spinoff, he's always shaken/somewhat depressed etc in the next one. First time when he's like that - understandable, a very realistic response to what he discovers. However when you have to go through it many times... gets old!
[+]
 Hades.Agilo
Server: Hades
user: Agilo
By Hades.Agilo 2010-01-07 19:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I think all the FF games are great, I've only found 1 that I wasn't a huge fan of, and that was Crisis Core. its really boring and repetitive. I absolutely loved FF8 and 7 (as those are being rated on here as the worst or over-rated, respectively). Also FF7 wasn't the first FF I played, FF9 was actually. then i think i played 8 and then 10 and the rest i cant remember the order. FF4 was awesome, I just found that one great above the others for some reason. and i have an emulator version of 3 and that one is also just awesome. i find the DS version just un-imaginably hard and its ridiculous so i stopped trying for a little bit lol. and a remake of FF7 would make that game incredible i think.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-01-07 20:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:
Ok I'll give you that... it is an exageration on 5 minutes... but after the 2nd or 3rd time of watching the full length summon animation don't tell me you arn't button smashing trying to make it skip it. At least in 8 they let you skip them (or shorten them, I forget)
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-01-07 20:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Holyman said:
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Every single person I know or that I've seen that says FFVII is the best is always because it was their first FF game. The gameplay is horrible, the 30 second intro to every battle, the 5 minute long summon times, the extreme blockyness of the characters... so many things against it that really push it from the #1 spot in my mind. The story is good, I'll give it that. I'm not a FFVII hater, just a FFVII fanboy hater. The game needs to be remade.
^
exactly , the game is so over-rated IMO , I hate how SE kept releasing like 643643643564 installments about Sephiroth , Cloud & FFVII other characters , beside the movie & all that crap , even the story wasn't that impressive , linear for its most part , repetitive & boring .

I agree FFVI is without doubt the best , FFX is definitely waaay better than FFVII , I'd put FFX-2 too in the list , it was innovative , I liked the spherechange system , the storyline was weaker than FFX but decent , I'd take out FFXI "it's horrible game imo but I'm still playing it for some reason" .

Going to have to disagree with this whole train of thought. FF7 is my favourite, yes it was my first, but it's still my favourite after playing the rest multiple times. There are a few drawbacks, yeah, but show me a game that's perfect. The whole point of games is they're constantly improving; improving drastically as graphics develop and technologies improve. Saying FF7 is a bad game because of it's bad graphics is, in my opinion anyway, just unfair. If they remade FF7 with today's technology, you can be damn sure the graphics would blow us away.

The whole point of games is they're constantly improving and the immersion is becoming more and more breathtaking. Graphics have come a drastically long way the past decade or two as technology has advanced. Using bad graphics as an excuse for disliking Final Fantasy VII is naivity at it's finest. It was made in a completely different era to which you're comparing the graphics. As much as I loved FFX's graphics, and as horrific FF7's looks to pretty much anything I play nowadays, I would never compare the two with one another. Why? It'd be like comparing the first computer that was the size of my house to a macbook pro, or the first steam engine to the Japanese bullet trains.

That's the whole point of development. Nothing starts at its best, and it improves over the years. You just need to look at the Final Fantasy market and following to see that it's grown in popularity over the years, with a few hiccups (FFX-2). Speaks volumes about how far the developers themselves have come, which is exactly what you'd expect when you see what FF1 is like compared to FF7. Totally different games, totally different eras, as such they're totally different. Like FF7 and FF10. It's just not fair to use "blocky graphics" as a reason for disliking FF7. To me, all that says is you can't actually think of a solid reason why it was a bad game.

And overrated? No, definitely it's not overrated. FF7 did so much more than just become a loved game; it threw itself into the then developing market of PSX games, became a global hit, and helped establish the RPG genre onto the PSX consoles; which has later become one of the most loved genres globally, as per multiple countrie's polls. Saying this game is overrated is like saying The Simpsons is an overrated cartoon. You don't have to like something for it to be a highly rated, popular thing.

As for the spin-offs, well that comes from a popular series. It's just marketting, SE knew they'd make a killing out of it so did it. Credit where it's due, I thought Advent Children was lovely. Didn't like CC, but there we go. Thought that was a bit lame personally, plus it was about part of the story I really wasn't interested in discovering more. I agree they milked it a little, but it's hard to blame them.

Not pro-FF7 at all, neither am I saying you should enjoy it. Just at least understand that it's not simply one of the series; it's the benchmark game that really made SE into a global name.

I think each of the series is respectable in its own era. But calling probably the benchmark FF overrated... Well, I just can't agree with that. But ultimately a game's only as good as you think, because ultimately you're the one playing it. Sort of a contradiction right in the last sentence, but what can you do? :p

I'd also put FFXI higher, just in appreciation of how successful it's become. And I'm not a hypocritical person who says it's a bad and unenjoyable game, but keeps playing it, like a lot of people I know on my server. I actually really enjoy this game, more so now than I ever have. Couldn't say why, but that's how it is.
[+]
 Shiva.Ninaa
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Ninaa 2010-01-07 20:23:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:
Ok I'll give you that... it is an exageration on 5 minutes... but after the 2nd or 3rd time of watching the full length summon animation don't tell me you arn't button smashing trying to make it skip it. At least in 8 they let you skip them (or shorten them, I forget)

Not to nitpick, I think that they are all seem ridiculously long, when you play them several times through, (look at eden and knights)but: In 8 you can Boost them during the animation, with the right skill learned for the GF, but I don't remember being able to shorten them. And in 9 the length of the animation determines the power, if it shows just the eidolon's weapon in the animation, it's power is lowered, in that case you want the longer animation to show up... it's not until 10 that you have the option of skipping the animations. I think with all the praise that 7 got for the summons, Square tried to outdo them in 8 and 9...
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-01-07 20:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The time to argue about summon length is when somebody says Knights of the Round was a perfectly acceptable length... It was even longer than Sephiroth's Supernova, and when I first fought him I went to make a cuppa when he started, came back and it was still going. -.-
[+]
 Siren.Eagleeyes
Server: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-01-07 20:46:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Why isn't V number 2?! >:[
[+]
 Fairy.Chrisstreb
By Fairy.Chrisstreb 2010-01-07 21:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I know I may sound like a fanboy for FFVI (as it was my intro into the FF universe) but I honestly thought out of all the FFs I've played (only ones I haven't played through or at all is FF3 and FF12). Fell in love with the characters, the storyline, the soundtrack Uematsu made for FFVI was second to none. Kefka >>> Sephiroth by far in terms of true evilness, FFVI ironically brought forth several things that we come to expect from FF games nowadays (Limit Breaks/Summons/Characters). I'd say if FFVI wasn't around, idk if we'd be talking about FFs 7 and beyond, other than that, my opinion on the list is like this (excluding FF3 and FF12 as I haven't really played them)

1.) FFVI - Storyline, Graphics for its time, Soundtrack, Characters Made it the best FF by far
2.) FFIX - Loved it for the old school feel and memories of he past FF games. Ending was kinda disapointing though
3.) FFV - Loved the job system and soundtrack, very innovative
4.) FFVII - Nice introduction to the 3D universe, but hasn't stood the test of time, good characters and storyline however
5.) FFX - Was a good introduction to the PS2, Tidus and Wakka could've been done away though...
6.) FFIV - Not a bad entry into the SNES era, seemed to short to me
7.) FFI - Without this, there'd be no FF, still a decent play even now
8.) FFXI - Still playing nearly 4 years later...
9.) FFVIII - Played through it once, 70 hours was enough for me lol...
10.) FFII - The Battle system, though unique, could've been done away with, played through it all, probably won't again
[+]
 Hades.Altimaomega
Server: Hades
By Hades.Altimaomega 2010-01-07 22:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

atlast FFVI takes its rightful place above VII, not saying VII is bad but im so tired of hearing about how everyone thinks its the best FF game ever made when its not... a few ppl have mention'd how it has made the FF games after it what they are, sadly i would have to agree and after VII, the way FF games are made lack alot of what VI had... ppl get all crazy over graphics and lose what FF used to be like.

that being said FF is still one of the best RPG's ever made no matter what Roman numeral u play!!
 Asura.Humtum
Server: Asura
user: scapular
By Asura.Humtum 2010-01-07 22:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I enjoyed all the FF games but something about FFVII makes it no.1 for me. FFVI was good back in the day but i find it to hard to play with the dodgy graphics these days, i disagree with graphics makes people loose touch of what ff is all about. look at ffX that had a great story line which was full of emotion, and the graphics still look good to this day.
First Page 2