Ranking The Final Fantasy Series ~ MSN Article

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ranking the Final Fantasy Series ~ MSN article
Ranking the Final Fantasy Series ~ MSN article
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-01-07 23:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
hmmm maybe yes, maybe 40% who say "FFVI is the best" not touched a Snes/gameboyadvance/emulator but no want look fool saying "FFVII is the best"

And I'm willing to bet that *random percentage I pulled out of my **** of people that say 7 is the best is only because SE is milking that *** for every dime she's worth, and they are constantly throwing it back in our faces with their new spin on regurgitated, old crap.
 Asura.Humtum
Server: Asura
user: scapular
By Asura.Humtum 2010-01-07 23:17:04
Link | Quote | Reply

they can milk it because more people like it then any other ff game
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-01-07 23:23:35
Link | Quote | Reply

HMM? YES IT COUNTS, yes it belongs there gdi.

Also yes, FF6 is totally the new FF7.
 Siren.Eagleeyes
Server: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-01-07 23:24:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Caiyuo said:

HMM? YES IT COUNTS, yes it belongs there gdi

Don't make me bonk you on the head for that
By semimmortal 2010-01-07 23:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget to add Tactics if you can :(
(try to put it near #1 if you can!)
 Siren.Eagleeyes
Server: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-01-07 23:26:42
Link | Quote | Reply

whats the deal with american box art looking worse than the european japanese versions
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-01-07 23:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Don't forget to add Tactics if you can :(
(try to put it near #1 if you can!)
Ack, I'd feel bad about forgetting FFT, but it's so much in a league of its own so much that these "lists" can't contain ittt.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-01-07 23:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ninaa said:
I must just be Weird.

FFVI is the only one I haven't finished >.>

Well, you have the best one left as dessert. ENJOY , the soundtrack is the best ever, the characters way of interacting with each others made them feel alive and you end up loving them even if they're tiny rectangle shaped sprites. It's the kind of experience FF IV partially achieved, it's colorful and any flaw it has is because it tried to innovate. There was nothing else like it back then. No game has a script of that quality. And keep in mind that 50% of the original script was removed to fit the translation in a 24-mbit cartridge...

FF VI deserves a PS3/4 remake a lot more than FF VII. Just the intro FMV on the PlayStation port gives me the chill... thinking how it could have looked, and the worldwide recognition it could have had, if only the timing had been right...

The problem is... Square had a lot of faith in FF VI when it was released here on the SNES... But what did we do with it? We bought 500000 fricken copies, what a joke... Over 3 million sold in Japan alone...

If you have only finished the commercial translations and loved FF VI (FF III on the SNES), you have to try this one. Even the ROM has been expanded to 32mbit and it's not missing a single part of the original jp script this time.

FF VI Retranslation

As for the rest of the series...

IV (*** masterpiece... I can say "***" can I?) :x
VII (XIII wouldn't be coming out if this one never happened, it was good... admit it)
IX (screw the messed up ending, this game comes near to perfection)
V (following the RPGe translation efforts, playing this was like a dream come true... nothing can describe)
XI (sucked at release, but ended up being great a few years of updates later)
I (the story of how Square was saved by this game is more interesting than the game's plot, but it deserves recognition)
III (finished on Famicom emulator and NDS, not disappointed)
XII (it's beautiful ... but... there's something wrong about this one... Ivalice?! Zodiac?! that's not the FFT series... -_-)
II (well... at least they tried incorporating a "plot")

VIII (this looked like a leaked beta of something that loosely resembles FF... just wtf where they thinking?
In complete denial, confronted to my biggest disappointment, I completed it AGAIN (twice on a PSX)...
and I still spent 25% liking it 75% wanting to smash it, that's beyond sad)
 Fairy.Azulmagia
Server: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2010-01-08 00:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is the list (in my opinion) of BEST to LEAST best, not necessarily my favourite to least.

VI
IX
V
II
IV
XII
VII
VIII
III
I

Also, Tactics is amazing.
[+]
 Fairy.Darkei
user: Darkei
By Fairy.Darkei 2010-01-08 00:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

@Katarzyna : I felt a little aggressive your comment about what I said, but if you look closely, i don't like FFVII or mainly the fanboys and SE, ik FFVII is the goose that lays the golden eggs for SE and maybe sell in the cereal if they could, but each of us has an idea about FFVII and SE only want money (as everyone).
About FFVI I have the luck of play in snes and gains for me in many respects on 2D games (and 3d).

Fairy.Darkei
user: Darkei
By Fairy.Darkei 2010-01-08 00:29:59
Link | Quote | Reply

ik, "old" but.. <3

Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-01-08 08:03:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Bartimaeus said:
Push 8 further back on the list, push 9 forward some since it's simple-to-use yet completely perfect equip/magic/summon etc system.

In fact just replace 8 and 12 with Mariokart.

This ^

And at least the majority can agree VI def deserves to be #1. For an SNES game the cutscenes were incredible, awesome story, just awesomeness all around.

No way VI is the new VII! VII although too mainstream, was still a great game.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-01-08 08:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
And at least the majority can agree VI def deserves to be #1. For an SNES game the cutscenes were incredible, awesome story, just awesomeness all around.

I played on the SNES originally and I'm pretty sure the cutscenes were added in with the PSX version. If they were on the SNES version my memory is letting me down as I did play the PSX after.

Also, I disagree anyway, because a cutscene isn't actually part of the game so we shouldn't really be using it to determine the rank, in my opinion anyway.
 Alexander.Garlend
Server: Alexander
user: Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2010-01-08 08:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

I played on the SNES originally and I'm pretty sure the cutscenes were added in with the PSX version. If they were on the SNES version my memory is letting me down as I did play the PSX after.

Also, I disagree anyway, because a cutscene isn't actually part of the game so we shouldn't really be using it to determine the rank, in my opinion anyway.

Ya the CS were added in on the psx version but VI on snes is one of the best rpg's of all time, not just in FF series.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-01-08 08:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I never played VI on PSX, SNES only! What I mean by cutscenes, is you know the whole Opera scene. Not the actual CGI stuff you see on PS1 and PS2 versions.

As someone people have mentioned, game play, story line, battle system, characters should be determined in these rankings. CSs (CGI or otherwise) are nice, but not necessary.

However another factor is you have to look at the game when it was initially released. It's hard to do that for II, III, and V, but download an emulator sometime and play the actual game (translate into English, but everything else is the same) and realize when this game came out. Personally I've never played any of these re-releases for PS1, PS2, GBA or w/e.

A few months ago when I didn't have internet for 2 months, I played FFI from start to finish, and it's still the hardest one to beat. The last dungeon is just brutal. Chaos wouldn't be that hard to fight if you were fully healed, magic, etc., but getting there half beaten up, and still trying to take him down is insane. No rest stops on the way, nothing but pure logistics.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2010-01-08 08:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
I would say:
1. VI - Greatest one what else can you say?
2. IV - Only reason it's not #1 is no customization of characters.
3. VII - Great graphics, but sucked in people who thought this was the series.
4. I - The one that started it all, still the hardest one to beat.
5. V - A nice story, awesome customization.
6. III - Considering when this came out (I'm not talking about when it was officially released in the US) the system was similar to V.
7. X - Great PS2 Graphics, better than the ones below it.
8. IX - A little childish and looks like a cartoon, but a relief from the awful VIII.
9. XI - Wouldn't be talking on here now without it, lol.
10. XII - Makes me want to play XI after a few battles.
11. II - Silliness. Good concept, very bad implementation. Click and cancel to level up, LOL!
12. VIII - Worse FF ever made! Horrible magic system, HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE story line, horrible ending, the only thing even remotely good about it is the GF system. Hitting buttons as fast as you can for more damage?! Turn based games aren't about hitting the buttons as fast as you can, that's what Mario Party is for! I could go on about how bad this game was, but that's enough, lol.

I agree with this order but not for some of the reasons.

I didn't read the whole thread but as far as VII goes, and I have said this before, it was a good game but no where near as good as the two listed above it in Chaosx's list. I judge a game on replay value and personally the original, VI, and IV are the only ones I can sit down and play anytime all the way through. All the others I will get bored and not touch again for a while.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-01-08 08:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Excesspain said:

I agree with this order but not for some of the reasons.

I didn't read the whole thread but as far as VII goes, and I have said this before, it was a good game but no where near as good as the two listed above it in Chaosx's list. I judge a game on replay value and personally the original, VI, and IV are the only ones I can sit down and play anytime all the way through. All the others I will get bored and not touch again for a while.

Mainly because VII I have for PC, It's hard to play it now (certain things just fly by too fast), and besides getting the golden chocobo took forever, lol.

I totally agree, IV, VI and I to this day I can still sit down and play and still have fun. As I just stated in my last post, In Nov. I played through FFI again, cause imo its the most challenging.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2010-01-08 08:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
A few months ago when I didn't have internet for 2 months, I played FFI from start to finish, and it's still the hardest one to beat. The last dungeon is just brutal. Chaos wouldn't be that hard to fight if you were fully healed, magic, etc., but getting there half beaten up, and still trying to take him down is insane. No rest stops on the way, nothing but pure logistics.

On the original NES or a remake? They made the remake(s) easier then the original. Hell in the original if you couldn't land mute on Astos with your first cast you were ***, forget about Chaos.
 Carbuncle.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Carbuncle
user: dameshi
By Carbuncle.Dameshi 2010-01-08 08:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Best FF = FF Tactics. Nuff said.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-01-08 08:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Excesspain said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

On the original NES or a remake? They made the remake(s) easier then the original. Hell in the original if you couldn't land mute on Astos with your first cast you were ***, forget about Chaos.

Never played the remakes. Original only. Or in the case of II,III and V, snes roms for emulators converter into English.

When I first got into emulators w/ Roms I download the original JP version of IV (translated of course), the whole fight with Cecil against himself makes more sense now, since the JP version all the characters have special abilities, like his, takes a few of his HP to do an AOE attack.

Edit: If you really like IV I'd recommend playing it all the way though with the JP version. It rocks!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-01-08 08:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Dameshi said:
Best FF = FF Tactics. Nuff said.
I'd take Mystic Quest over Tactics :P
 Carbuncle.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Carbuncle
user: dameshi
By Carbuncle.Dameshi 2010-01-08 08:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Unless you do it the cheap way, and every fight where you need HP, you use white robe (invis2), then use the defender on everyone (blink), then just spam healing helm (I think I had 3 of 'em) and attack with a whm or blm. Keep it up til everyone is full HP, then kill normally. (All item names are from the remake on FF Origins).

However, if you don't do that, then yes, the last dungeon is a *** :P