Blade: Metsu Mithra's are best 2nd only to the Mithra /Panic
[+]
 Sylph.Ice
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Ice
By Sylph.Ice 2017-05-22 23:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Torcleaver is pretty nice. Namas Arrow too.
 Bahamut.Agerine
Server: Bahamut
user: Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2017-05-23 02:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Soraishin said: »
Blade: Metsu Mithra's are best 2nd only to the Mithra /Panic

Agreed 100%!
That /Panic is something else.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2017-05-23 02:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Blast Shot. Nothing beats pistol whipping a mob, then shooting it in the face.
 Asura.Tuvae
Server: Asura
user: Tuvae
By Asura.Tuvae 2017-05-23 02:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I like Drakesbane, not just for the animation but for the name.
For as far as animations go Im gunna say Torcleaver, but only on a hume. The anticipation before the rapid swing and smash onto the ground really gives the impression of a strong hit, it looks pathetic on a taru, they kinda float like they are on the moon and it doesnt look powerful at all.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-05-23 04:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't Torcleaver the same exact animation as Ground Strike, just with a different graphic effect? But the 3D model animation is the same I think.

Similar to Blade: Ten and Blade: Hi, or Howling fist/Ascetic's Fist/Final Heaven, then Tachi: Kaiten/Tachi: Koki etc etc.
It's the same pattern. Many WS share the same 3D animation but have a different graphic effect.

When it comes to animations I think many (most?) of the Merit WS are very cool, arguably the coolest WS in game regardless of race.
If we're talking about old animations, my choice probably goes for Asuran Fists. Galka version for "sense of might" and Taru version for "spectacularity" with the final sommersault jump.
[+]
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Server: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2017-05-23 04:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

My personal favorite is Chant Du Cygne(Zorro!)

Jishnu's Radiance is decent, but I have to say Last Stand is badass.
 Asura.Syto
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2017-05-23 05:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply

For my own accessible WS:

Tachi: Fudo
Tachi: Shoha

For NPC/Trust WS:

King of all Samurai WS = Iainuki - A Gilgamesh Exclusive....

*** you SE for giving that *** the best looking/3D-animated WS for SAM

I also am a fan of No Quarter by August
 Asura.Xijaah
user: Xijaah
By Asura.Xijaah 2017-05-23 05:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asuran fists by a taru, so kawaii it hurts.
By OmniKroe 2017-05-23 06:48:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Pyrrhic Kleos, but you really need a Terpsichore for it to make sense.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-05-23 06:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Syto said: »
*** you SE for giving that *** the best looking/3D-animated WS for SAM
Don't think we should consider animations that aren't available to players! But if we are to do that then pretty much all of August's WS/Animations are very very badass lol

OmniKroe said: »
Wut
By Bahadir 2017-05-23 07:47:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if the graphics count (rather than "only" the player animation) then for me its definitely Death Blossom! Found myself using it a lot just cause I like the animation even if other WSs deal more dmg.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-05-23 08:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Don't think we should consider animations that aren't available to players! But if we are to do that then pretty much all of August's WS/Animations are very very badass lol

DAT mods are your friend.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2017-05-23 08:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I was always a fan of insurgency.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2017-05-23 08:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

OmniKroe said: »
Wut
The graphic for Pyrrhic Kleos has these three slash marks that come from Terpischore's three blades. I kinda get what he means.

I was always a fan of Catastrophe, though I never got it.

Ones I actually had, I'd say Stringing Pummel.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2017-05-23 08:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't Torcleaver the same exact animation as Ground Strike, just with a different graphic effect? But the 3D model animation is the same I think.

Similar to Blade: Ten and Blade: Hi, or Howling fist/Ascetic's Fist/Final Heaven, then Tachi: Kaiten/Tachi: Koki etc etc.
It's the same pattern. Many WS share the same 3D animation but have a different graphic effect.

When it comes to animations I think many (most?) of the Merit WS are very cool, arguably the coolest WS in game regardless of race.
If we're talking about old animations, my choice probably goes for Asuran Fists. Galka version for "sense of might" and Taru version for "spectacularity" with the final sommersault jump.
A lot of WSs were re-graphic'd WSs. Catastrophe was basically Slash, Metatron Torment was basically one of the Break skills.

Some WSs were even mashups of other WSs. Insurgency was basically Slash, Cross Reaper, and Spiral Hell combined.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-05-23 08:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah Victory Smite too was some sort of combination of Raging Fists + Howling Fist.

Personally I don't feel like condamning the ones where they mixed up multiple animations, most are pretty cool anyway.
But the ones where they just blatantly took old animations and sticked a new effect on it were pretty pretty cheap, despite a couple being cool I guess.

In this regard I was really surprised when they created completely new animations for the Merit WS.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-05-23 08:49:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

Can you apply Hume M animations to any model that's not a Hume M?
I thought that wasn't possible but maybe I'm wrong hey :o
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2017-05-23 08:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah Victory Smite too was some sort of combination of Raging Fists + Howling Fist.

Personally I don't feel like condamning the ones where they mixed up multiple animations, most are pretty cool anyway.
But the ones where they just blatantly took old animations and sticked a new effect on it were pretty pretty cheap, despite a couple being cool I guess.

In this regard I was really surprised when they created completely new animations for the Merit WS.
Agreed. For relic WSs, it's not really unexpected. They were made early on and no one was expected to access them for quite a long time. They never were really powerful though, mostly situational.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-05-23 10:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I've found lately that Resolution gives some of the best Terror poses known to hume, elvaan, taru, and mithra. Galkas just smell.
 Asura.Boogerballs
By Asura.Boogerballs 2017-05-23 10:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

if we're basing this on coolest and not dmg or anything then the coolest ws would be Drakesbane. just did a google search and the archaic definition means something along the lines of dragons death or dragons poison. Not to mention the animation is totally badass.
By clearlyamule 2017-05-23 10:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruinator. Quick couple of slashes followed by throwing your axe thru the mob to then jump and catch it when it boomerangs and smash the mob one more time as you fall.

Also Tartarus Torpor. Was always made when they didn't make it and the other campaign ws more available
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-05-23 11:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
Ruinator. Quick couple of slashes followed by throwing your axe thru the mob to then jump and catch it when it boomerangs and smash the mob one more time as you fall.

Also Tartarus Torpor. Was always made when they didn't make it and the other campaign ws more available

The sword one from Campaign was always cool to see an AOE flash and somewhat high damage for the time
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-05-23 12:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

You can apply almost any animation, it just might not match up quite so well. Spinechiller is a Great Sword animation but I applied it to a Great Katana WS.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-05-23 13:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Applying the animation of JA/WS "X" to JA/WS "Y" is one thing, I've done that myself in the past when I was using custom dats for Gekko on SAM.

I just thought using animations from different races just didn't work, or so I was told on the dat mod forums.
Glad to hear that was not true then ^^

Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »
The sword one from Campaign was always cool to see an AOE flash and somewhat high damage for the time
You mean Uriel Blade? Wasn't that "just" Savage Blade with different (AoE) effect when touching the ground?
By Draylo 2017-05-23 13:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes but it looked way cooler, gave you wings and had a nice aoe animation.
 Sylph.Gobbo
Server: Sylph
user: Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2017-05-23 14:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Entropy is the coolest WS. Not only does it look wild, but it also fits DRK so well in what it represents, chaos and disorder. It not only destroys the target, but it also reduces the foe to pure energy which is represented by the MP restoral.
 Shiva.Malthar
Server: Shiva
user: Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2017-05-23 14:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude, Cloudsplitter, hands down; I mean, you're calling frickin' lightning from the sky!
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-05-23 15:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Malthar said: »
Dude, Cloudsplitter, hands down; I mean, you're calling frickin' lightning from the sky!

Jishnu's Radiance says hi.