Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 141 142 143
 Asura.Psylo
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2017-02-13 06:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Try to made 2 set, one potency one pur enfee/macc, if you can't land with first one, swap to second.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-13 10:21:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys here is a trick of the trade. You don't need to cast in max potency for every single enfeeble spell. Instead have Frazzle II set to use your maximum accuracy, then after it's landed you can then use a max potency Frazzle III on top of it, even Sab it if you don't need to Sab Distract III / Addle II.
[+]
 Bahamut.Neb
Server: Bahamut
user: Neb
By Bahamut.Neb 2017-02-13 11:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Guys here is a trick of the trade. You don't need to cast in max potency for every single enfeeble spell. Instead have Frazzle II set to use your maximum accuracy, then after it's landed you can then use a max potency Frazzle III on top of it, even Sab it if you don't need to Sab Distract III / Addle II.

Amen been doing this since update to make sure Sab Frazzle III lands
Guildwork Premium
By Quendi210 2017-02-13 12:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Neb said: »

Amen been doing this since update to make sure Sab Frazzle III lands

We might see an increase in people playing RDM if enough groups decide Frazzle III is a must have. People will just ask, "What should I equip."
 Bismarck.Arcos
Server: Bismarck
user: afranko22
By Bismarck.Arcos 2017-02-13 13:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to derail but has anyone augmented a colada with more than 3 enhancing duration? I've spent around 1000 stones and havent had anything better.
By Boshi 2017-02-13 13:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I got +4 with fern a couple days ago, i can lost s pic when I'm home bur fern cap seems to be 4
 Bismarck.Norminator
user: Hares
By Bismarck.Norminator 2017-02-13 18:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

mainly for landing spell on reijensame helm mob .
Also it'S nice but no one actually posted a set.
 Asura.Thorva
user: Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2017-02-13 19:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Enfeeble sets are really dependent on if you are casting mnd enfeeble, int enfeeble, if it gains massive skill potency like frazzle/distract which still need mnd, are you looking for m.acc and duration for something like sleep, pure duration for bio/dia etc.

For instance this set would be used for mnd enfeebles with high m.acc

ItemSet 349502

Of course not everyone has +3 body or +1 abj/rings so you will need to make adjustments to your sets with random augment gear or whatever you have available.
 Bismarck.Norminator
By Bismarck.Norminator 2017-02-13 19:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Mainly looking for frazzle set, currently using my rdm on helm mob.
 Asura.Thorva
user: Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2017-02-13 19:49:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Try something like this until you can aim for the hq options, i.e. skaoi boots, hq abj hands, stikini +1 rings

ItemSet 349504

edit: if you are having m.acc issues you might need to change out a few pieces like hands and body to land a frazzle 2, once you land frazzle 2 you can cast a potency version of frazzle 3
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-02-14 01:40:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a question about Composure and the Augment provided by AF3 set.
Each piece gives 10% duration, starting from 20% with 2 pieces and 50% with 5 pieces worn in midcast.
If this is true then they are basically the same as a Telchine piece augmented with enha duration +10%, correct?
With the difference that Telchine's augment works on everything (including prot/shell) whereas AF3 set works only with spells that lasts <30 mins and only when Composure is up. Correct?
If I'm right then the best enha set for the 5 main armor slots would be

AF3 feet
AF1 hands
3x Telchine

This would grant me 30% from Telchine, 30% from AF3 feet, 20% from AF1 hands for a total of 80% duration just from the 5 main slots. Did I miss something?
Guildwork Premium
By Quendi210 2017-02-14 02:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
I have a question about Composure and the Augment provided by AF3 set.
Each piece gives 10% duration, starting from 20% with 2 pieces and 50% with 5 pieces worn in midcast.
If this is true then they are basically the same as a Telchine piece augmented with enha duration +10%, correct?
With the difference that Telchine's augment works on everything (including prot/shell) whereas AF3 set works only with spells that lasts <30 mins and only when Composure is up. Correct?
If I'm right then the best enha set for the 5 main armor slots would be

AF3 feet
AF1 hands
3x Telchine

This would grant me 30% from Telchine, 30% from AF3 feet, 20% from AF1 hands for a total of 80% duration just from the 5 main slots. Did I miss something?

If you're casting on yourself or on someone else w/o Composure being up then that is correct. If you're casting on someone else with Composure on you'll get more duration out of 4/5 "AF3" + "AF1" Hands.

The Composure bonus is in a different part than the Telchine or other Enhancing Magic Duration gear.
By waffle 2017-02-14 02:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue is that not all enhancing magic duration bonuses are calculated at the same point in the equation.

The composure gear bonus is a separate term, so it's multiplicative, not additive.

Some other gear seems to have similar properties. The 20% duration you can get from a ghostfyre cape augment does not appear to be calculated at the same point as the 20% duration you can get from a sucellos cape.
[+]
Guildwork Premium
By Quendi210 2017-02-14 02:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's presume 20/20 Enhancing Magic Duration Job Points and exclude gear outside the 5 main slots. The target is another Player.

Haste II Example
Telchine x3, Atrophy Gloves +3, Lethargy Houseaux +1
(180 + 20) x 1.3(Telchine x3) x 1.5(Atrophy Gloves +3 & Lethargy Houseaux +1) = 390 Seconds

4/5 Lethargy +1, Atrophy Gloves +3 With Composure
(180 + 20) * 1.35(Composure Bonus) * 1.5(Atrophy Gloves +3 & Lethargy Houseaux +1) = 405 Seconds
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-02-14 03:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

waffle said: »
so it's multiplicative, not additive.
Just needed to say this! :P
Oranyan and Ammurapi Shield already are Multiplicative, compared to Telchine, Grio and Dunna who are Addittive.

I wonder where in the calculation formula order is the AF3 bonus placed?

Your post also remind me another question: Ghostfyre duration (max 20) vs Sucello's duration.
Are both bonuses % or static? Are they Multi or Addittive?

To make a comparison with GEO, JSE cape vs Ambu cape.
Both are +20 but the JSE one is 20%, whereas the Ambu one is +20 seconds.

I apologize for all these dumb/noob questions, but I'm pondering to gear up my RDM. I can't be "perfect" from the beginning, I need to start from somewhere and walk towards better gear from there onwards.
I can already re-use many of my SCH and GEO pieces, but I love Job Specific gear and was trying to minimize the effort deciding which items I can skip for the time being.
(AF3 being particularly nasty because getting back to Abyssea and farming all the +1 and +2 mats with all the implied KIs and kills is quite a load of work these days, sadly)
[+]
Guildwork Premium
By Quendi210 2017-02-14 03:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

so it's multiplicative, not additive.
Just needed to say this! :P
Oranyan and Ammurapi Shield already are Multiplicative, compared to Telchine, Grio and Dunna who are Addittive.

I wonder where in the calculation formula order is the AF3 bonus placed?

Your post also remind me another question: Ghostfyre duration (max 20) vs Sucello's duration.
Are both bonuses % or static? Are they Multi or Addittive?

To make a comparison with GEO, JSE cape vs Ambu cape.
Both are +20 but the JSE one is 20%, whereas the Ambu one is +20 seconds.

I apologize for all these dumb/noob questions, but I'm pondering to gear up my RDM. I can't be "perfect" from the beginning, I need to start from somewhere and walk towards better gear from there onwards.
I can already re-use many of my SCH and GEO pieces, but I love Job Specific gear and was trying to minimize the effort deciding which items I can skip for the time being.
(AF3 being particularly nasty because getting back to Abyssea and farming all the +1 and +2 mats with all the implied KIs and kills is quite a load of work these days, sadly)

(Base Duration + Job Points Bonus) x Composure Bonus x Augment Enhancing Duration % x Static Enhancing Duration % = Final Duration

Ghostfyre and Sucellos's are both 20% but calculated in different spots.

Augment Enhancing Duration %
Telchine
Ghostfyre Cape
Grioavolr

Static Enhancing Duration %
Atrophy Gloves
Lethargy Houseaux +1
Sucellos's Cape

The amount of people I know with Oranyan and/or Ammurapi Shield is limited and few would test to see where they fit in or if they add whole new steps.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-02-14 03:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Quendi.
So given how "static enhancing duration+" term comes at the end of the formula, I get that Sucello's should provide better numbers than Ghostfyre, correct?
Guildwork Premium
By Quendi210 2017-02-14 04:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually Ghostfyre wins.

I'll use my actual set as example for when I cast Haste II on myself.
ItemSet 349177
(180 + 20) x 3 x 1.6 x 1.5 = 1440

Changing that to Sucellos's
(180 + 20) x 3 x 1.4 x 1.7 = 1428

Edit: Changed set slightly and then redid math to fit gear change.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-02-14 07:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

More dumb questions:

Do you guys still use Uk'uxkaj Boots? The loss in stats and macc is pretty high, do you have a toggle to turn them on/off? Avoid using them? Use them for everything and eat the loss?

How does Saboteur interact with NMs? I remember reading that on specific targets Saboteur gets a reduced efficiency. Would love to read more details about it.
Does it work with ALL enfeebling magic or are there some spells with which Sabo produces no increase at all?

What are the more common Merit assignments for group1 and group2?
I currently have:
Group#1 > Ice 4/5, Wind 3/5, Earth 3/5
(I don't remember why, probably to give more chances to stick para, slow and uh, I dunno, why did I pick Wind lol?)
Group#2 > Dia3 4/5, Slow2 3/5, Para2 3/5
Was kinda thinking to let go of para2 and go 5/5 in the others.

Also, if I remember Dia3's duration was dependant on number of merits. Does that mean that gear affecting enfeebling magic duration won't have an effect on Dia3?

Speaking of which and unto the topic of Job Points.
How does the enfeebling duration category works? Is it just number of seconds added (static) or something else?
What about the Quick Magic category instead? Does it works exclusively with 10% QM procs, or also with Spontaneity and Chainspell?

Last but not least, is there anything that allows RDM to go beyond the 80% FC cap? (was looking at those gifts for instance, or some item I might have accidentally skipped)

Thanks for your time, I haven't been playing RDM since early Abyssea Days, and even back then I was a pretty noob RDM I gotta say.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-14 10:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you guys still use Uk'uxkaj Boots? The loss in stats and macc is pretty high, do you have a toggle to turn them on/off? Avoid using them? Use them for everything and eat the loss?

Theoretically on targets that you don't need the extra raw magic accuracy then they are BiS for potency. That being said, on anything where you don't need the magic accuracy, then you probably don't need the enfeeble potency either.

How does Saboteur interact with NMs? I remember reading that on specific targets Saboteur gets a reduced efficiency. Would love to read more details about it.
Does it work with ALL enfeebling magic or are there some spells with which Sabo produces no increase at all?

I remember that if the target was ITG then Sab effect would be reduced by 50% and duration by 75%. So from a 124% increase to a 62% increase and a 100% duration increase to a 25% duration increase.

What are the more common Merit assignments for group1 and group2?
I currently have:
Group#1 > Ice 4/5, Wind 3/5, Earth 3/5
(I don't remember why, probably to give more chances to stick para, slow and uh, I dunno, why did I pick Wind lol?)
Group#2 > Dia3 4/5, Slow2 3/5, Para2 3/5
Was kinda thinking to let go of para2 and go 5/5 in the others.

Also, if I remember Dia3's duration was dependant on number of merits. Does that mean that gear affecting enfeebling magic duration won't have an effect on Dia3?

Merits kinda change based on whats going on but it's usually not a good idea to split them up that way. Ice is something you want high to land Distract III but then it's kind of a toss up between wind and fire for Silence / Addle II. Group II depends on what you do, Bio III and Blind II are kinda useless, Phalanx II needs to be 5/5 just to be the same potency as phalanx and you can get the same effect by /SCH Accession phalanx. Slow II / Paralyze II are both fairly potent but their reduction in incoming damage is limited as they don't apply to TP moves. That leaves Dia III as the most useful as it always and the defense down effect stacks with others in increasing returns. The relic extends the duration of Dia III based on number of merits along with +duration gear, so honestly your going to get some pretty decent duration on anything 3 merits or higher.

How does the enfeebling duration category works? Is it just number of seconds added (static) or something else?
What about the Quick Magic category instead? Does it works exclusively with 10% QM procs, or also with Spontaneity and Chainspell?

Yes it's just +20 seconds duration before multipliers, which is really useful. QM is just +percentage like gear. Spon and CS are basically 100% QM proc for their duration.

Last but not least, is there anything that allows RDM to go beyond the 80% FC cap? (was looking at those gifts for instance, or some item I might have accidentally skipped)

No, the job points are just further increase's to the JT that already exists. It means RDM can hit the FC cap very easily and also gets a reduced recast on spells. The LA / DA from /SCH are a different multiplier and just like SCH main can further reduce the cast / recast on those spells.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-02-14 10:44:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Theoretically on targets that you don't need the extra raw magic accuracy then they are BiS for potency. That being said, on anything where you don't need the magic accuracy, then you probably don't need the enfeeble potency either.
My thoughts exactely, but this doesn't solve my doubt. How do you folks handle it? Ignore the piece? Toggle to turn it on/off? Use it 100% of the time?

Quote:
Slow II / Paralyze II are both fairly potent but their reduction in incoming damage is limited as they don't apply to TP moves.
I thought Para never remotely procced on any target where it would've mattered? Which is my reasoning behind the idea of removing those merits entirely.
Slow II produces minimal effect but slowing down swing speed of some targets could provide a small yet beneficial effect. It doesn't have to "proc", if you stick it it's there and will apply to all melee swings of that target, unlike Para.

Quote:
so honestly your going to get some pretty decent duration on anything 3 merits or higher.
Yeah, but still going back to my question, I guess it's not known if stuff that increase generic enfeebling magic duration also applies to Dia3, right?

Quote:
Yes it's just +20 seconds duration before multipliers
Oh nice! Because a lot of other JP "+seconds duration" bonuses of other jobs apply after all other sources of possible increase.
By Boshi 2017-02-14 11:06:20
Link | Quote | Reply

From a while ago:
Boshi said: »
For the sake of info on uk'uxkaj feet, some quick testing in brenner on enfeebling skill dependant enfeebs

(Set used grio no enfeeb aug, meoh grip, quartz+1, relic hat, incant torque, neptune pearl, enfeeb ear, empymbody, empymhand, glob ring, stik nq ring, amb cape mnd30 macc20 fc10, rumination sash, psycloth B)
Target: naked 2100 hume rng/nin

medium's sabots[mp45 mnd9 conmp5 curepot4]
Distract3: -106
Distract3 saboteur: -212
Poison2: 126/tic

uk'uxkaj boots[mnd8 haste2 snapshot2]
Distract3: -107
Distract3 saboteur: -211
Poison2: 127/tic

Note: skaoi would be an addition +2 skill over medium's

Note2: the sabo numbers are not a typo, uk won by 1 everytime but sabo distract mediums won by 1. The medium's sabo was exactly x2 of non sabo, ukuxkaj with sabo was short by 3.
Seems bonus from saboteur is independant of the "enhances enfeebling magic effect"

This is a test I did a while ago. remember the enfeeb skill modified spells arw the 550 enfeebs and poison; the 550 ones have a mnd component also, poison does not.

I'll redo this test sometime this week, I have Skaoi boots now too. (Boots are +2 skill, -12mnd from perfect mediums). Also I'll add sabo poison (rng has resist poison trait which is annoying lol)

Generally though this shows: wkr feet are not important for the 550 spells & poison. They should however still win out for like paralyze slow ect. Potency (spells with no skill mod).
[+]
By waffle 2017-02-14 13:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sabo always increases duration (though you can hit the point where an enemy has built up so much resistance to a debuff that it will never last more than 1 tic no matter how often you land it, sabo or no sabo) but there are debuffs that have no potency to affect, like silence, and then for instance sabo does not increase the def down of dia.

Speaking of which and unto the topic of Job Points.

I haven't tested the enfeebling duration category, though I thought I saw some testing that said it was a flat bonus calculated after sabo. I could be misremembering.

The enhancing duration bonus is definitely before multipliers from composure and gear though.

As for quick magic, I did test that back when it came out, and the mp reduction applied when using spontaneity, but never during a gear QM proc. I never tested chainspell though.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-02-14 13:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Boshi said: »
For the sake of info on uk'uxkaj feet, some quick testing in brenner on enfeebling skill dependant enfeebs
Are there Enfeebling spells that do not rely on Enfeebling Magic at all?
I mean Dia and Bio, maybe Inundation (can Inu even be resisted), but everything else should gain at least macc from Enfeebling Potency?
I thought it was more a matter of 99% of spells capping potency at level75 skill or around there, meaning that adding more enfeebling skill would produce no increase in potency but just macc to stick it.

Either way, your test shows Uk'uxkaj are kinda ***and should not be used.
Wonder if that "% bonus" on them would provide bigger boost on Frazzle now that the effect has been boosted, but good luck testing that.
In doubt, I won't bother and just use Skaoi I guess lol.

Actually, where can I find a list of spells where I should bother capping enf skill, and those who I autocap with my native skill and so I shouldn't bother to specifically stack Enf to reach a higher tier? (I guess these should represent the majority?)

Sabo always increases duration (though you can hit the point where an enemy has built up so much resistance to a debuff that it will never last more than 1 tic no matter how often you land it, sabo or no sabo) but there are debuffs that have no potency to affect, like silence, and then for instance sabo does not increase the def down of dia.
Makes sense for stuff like Bind, Silence, Inundation, generally speaking stuff that's binary, either it's up or not.
I guess Dia too, but for everything else I was expecting Sabo to work?
Is there a list of enfeebling spells that gain no potency benefit from Saboteur somewhere?
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-14 13:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Either way, your test shows Uk'uxkaj are kinda ***and should not be used

That was before the update. Basically uk hoots were BiS in theory because they got like 1~2 points higher but.. yeah no macc. So 99.9% of the time you used skill feet. Recent updates significantly raises the base potency and thus the effect of those boots, but again no skill or acc which you want for anything serious. So I'd say they are still useless.

All spells gain potency from Sab, the question is what part is potency. Like Dia's potency is actually a DoT, same as Bio and Poison.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-02-14 14:03:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Does Dia and Bio still give tp, where as Poison does not? What about Shock Rasp choke burn rasp drown? Is there a very specific way to add DoT without super feeding Tp if these all do? How does this stack or does it over write Impact and Dark Absorb spells? does it detract or enhance the ability to land this stuff at all?
 Bismarck.Arcos
user: afranko22
By Bismarck.Arcos 2017-02-14 14:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »
Does Dia and Bio still give tp, where as Poison does not? What about Shock Rasp choke burn rasp drown? Is there a very specific way to add DoT without super feeding Tp if these all do? How does this stack or does it over write Impact and Dark Absorb spells? does it detract or enhance the ability to land this stuff at all?
I believe Dia and Bio gave TP when the damage of the spell was over 0. It was 2007 or so when I last checked if it gave TP or not, the equation may have changed.

If damage is still required from the spell to gain TP, elemental debuffs(choke, burn, etc.) then they would give 0 TP
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-02-14 14:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

All spells gain potency from Sab, the question is what part is potency. Like Dia's potency is actually a DoT, same as Bio and Poison.
Good point!
But still there's stuff that I'm sure gains no potency at all.
Silence, Bind, Break, Inundation I mean... that stuff either sticks or doesn't stick. We can talk about duration but not really potency, can we?

Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »
What about Shock Rasp choke burn rasp drown?
Those are not Enfeebling Magic though but Elemental, iir.
 Bismarck.Norminator
By Bismarck.Norminator 2017-02-14 19:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

thorva on your setup the only item i don' have are the body +3 (Currently +2 working on +3) HQ hand and ring.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-14 21:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Good point!
But still there's stuff that I'm sure gains no potency at all.
Silence, Bind, Break, Inundation I mean... that stuff either sticks or doesn't stick. We can talk about duration but not really potency, can we?

Well if it were possible for something to be 150% silenced then I guess Sab would work on that too. Inundation is the only one I'm really curious about because "potency" could mean the SC damage multiplier (+0.20 vs 0.324 per type used).
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 141 142 143