Is It Safe To Say FFXI Is The Greatest MMORPG?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is it safe to say FFXI is the greatest MMORPG?
Is it safe to say FFXI is the greatest MMORPG?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Caiir
VIP
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Caiir 2016-06-23 00:21:33
Link | Quote | Reply

you aren't safe
[+]
 Asura.Xenomorph
Server: Asura
By Asura.Xenomorph 2016-06-23 00:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolutely
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2016-06-23 01:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

No, and you should probably start running right now about now...
By Blazed1979 2016-06-23 01:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Zululu said: »
MMO's are a fading away so yes :P FFXI comes from the start of this genre.

All games are starting to have online components; so, FFXI and Everquest will be remembered as the first of online game play.

MMO 2.0 is around the corner with Virtual Reality. Like the Phoenix, the genre will rise from the ashes and it will be magnificent.

At the last comicon Ubisoft and SE had a shared exhibition space and there was a Chocobo ride through some FFXIV zones using VR. No battle, no jumping but you could steer and sprint. It was pretty epic. I managed to get 2 minutes on it. My kids never saw their old man cry, but I was close to it. I can't wait. I need to work a few more years before I can retire. Hopefully by then I can plug my brain into something and live the rest of my days as a wandering PLD for hire.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2016-06-23 01:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Caiir said: »
you aren't safe
you're never safe
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-06-23 03:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
At the last comicon Ubisoft and SE had a shared exhibition space and there was a Chocobo ride through some FFXIV zones using VR. No battle, no jumping but you could steer and sprint. It was pretty epic. I managed to get 2 minutes on it. My kids never saw their old man cry, but I was close to it. I can't wait. I need to work a few more years before I can retire. Hopefully by then I can plug my brain into something and live the rest of my days as a wandering PLD for hire.

Some guy ported FFXI zones over to a 3D world and it was pretty epic.

Somehow though, I doubt VR MMOs games will have much substance as seems to be the state of the genre. It's pretty--it doesn't need content!

But gosh I'd be in a lot better shape if I had to walk across Bastok every time I walked across Bastok.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2016-06-23 04:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
But gosh I'd be in a lot better shape if I had to walk across Bastok every time I walked across Bastok.

you would die irl every time you had to walk across Windurst
[+]
By Blazed1979 2016-06-23 04:39:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the Japanese are quickly coming up with applications for VR that involve more than just aesthetics. We're getting Virtual sex with Anime characters soon. That will keep us all in shape.
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2016-06-23 04:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Greatest in what regard?

Greatness is not really as subjective as many say it is.
A measure of which is greater can only be done item by item part by part and then the ranking can be done with statistics rather than subjective opinions.
 Asura.Azriel
Server: Asura
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2016-06-23 06:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah pretty much.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2016-06-23 08:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI was the only one I could stick w/.

The handful of others I've tried just didn't do it for me, so now I'm back to standard RPGs/action games that I neglected during my time with XI, and Smash Bros for my PvP
[+]
By fonewear 2016-06-23 08:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a question is this the greatest thread on the internet of all time ?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2016-06-23 11:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
It's extremely subjective.
But surely it is safe, no one is going to harm you for saying this don't worry!

You never know if there's any FFXIV fan lurking in the corner with a baseball bat.....

[+]
By Enuyasha 2016-06-23 11:53:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
Enuyasha said: »
[players] could log into for the day for however many hours and actually get something done that they wanted to do. Instead of wiping for hours pretending that, in any way, is fun.

This almost has to be sarcasm. A large part of endgame through WotG was being online at specific times and coordinating schedules with other ls's or ignoring them (dynamis). If you didn't have a static to XP with, a whole lot of the XP grind was just waiting for an invite or building your own group and shouting...and shouting.
I mean, a lot of my FFXI career was avoiding life and looking for fulfillment on a daily basis. So at some point waiting hours and shouting for hours was in some way accomplishing something for me personally :P

but once I found some people id play with every day, we got ***done every day.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-06-23 12:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I have a question is this the greatest thread on the internet of all time ?

the greatest internet*
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2016-06-23 12:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Greatest MMO of all time? That's World of Warcraft. Greatest currently? I guess FFXIV.

XI is up there in the MMO hall of fame for sure, though, and there's something about the game that's most rewarding for me personally.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-23 12:14:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
Greatest currently? I guess FFXIV
I wanted to post a face reaction but can't even find an accurate gif.

Incredibly bad management.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2016-06-23 12:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Greatest currently? I guess FFXIV
I wanted to post a face reaction but can't even find an accurate gif.

Incredibly bad management,community, dev team, battle director, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc.
FTFY<3!

The reason we didnt get THF was because Ninja and Thief are "The Same" and we cant have Hide in battle because OF tards cant use common sense. Cant use SA and TA together because having one more OGCD that you have to wait 20 seconds for/have to fit into a 10 second window is "too OP" for people that cant cap out their DPS potential anyway. Then they decide to make NIN the defacto THF after level 50, not on arrival.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-06-23 13:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Greatest currently? I guess FFXIV.
It's a sad reflection on the state of the MMO genre if one of the candidates for current best game is a title that goes out of its way to be mediocre at almost every possible opportunity.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-06-23 13:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Greatest currently? I guess FFXIV.
It's a sad reflection on the state of the MMO genre if one of the candidates for current best game is a title that goes out of its way to be mediocre in almost every way possible.

The genre has matured.

A genre that was built to be a niche market for RPGers who wanted to advance to the next level has become a prepackaged nightmare of microtransactions, instant gratification, solitude and relative worthlessness.

What made you pick up an MMO was to be with losers like yourself willing to put in hours of work sculpting their online personas. A place where you could RP, a place where you could live out that DnD dream of fully immersing yourself in a character. Life be damned.

Many of us have aged out of that but that is essentially what an MMO did that other genres did not. Now that MMOs are just online, lobby-oriented RPGs in the way that CoD or fighting games do 'massively multiplayer' there is no real connection to anything.

The people you play with don't matter, the gear is constantly made obsolete and any attempts to roleplay is met with backlash from more mainstream gamers who see that stuff as unpalatable. MMORPGs have become junk food titles you play to pass time, with little consequence pumped out like McRibs with blustering marketing guys promising everything then serving up regurgitated ***.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-06-23 13:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, there's more gameplay in playing with the *** slider in a well manicured Korean MMO that is badly translated, can't be bothered to do anything new and wants me to pay to win.

My succubus wannabe as the best rack in town but *** if I won't grow bored of her within a month then move on to the next place serving up beefcakes.
By fonewear 2016-06-23 13:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

My biggest problem with FFXI is right now there is what they call "new content" as recycled Ambuscade with different mobs.

I realize they are a bare bones team working on content but there has to be other ways of getting people to continue to play...least I hope so.
[+]
By volkom 2016-06-23 13:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

If only the resources that were dumped into XIV were put into XI ~ to revamp ui, graphics and stuff.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-06-23 13:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
If only the resources that were dumped into XIV were put into XI ~ to revamp ui, graphics and stuff.

That was XIV 1.0 and it failed spectacularly.
By volkom 2016-06-23 13:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

If All* the resources then >_>
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-06-23 20:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

During the 1.0 > 2.0 commercial break, they said that their primary goal for 14 was to be different than 11. That's why 1.0 was so miserable and 1.x was so bad. They didn't have a direction other than "different"--

with the same races and same towns

Quote:
However, when the original FFXIV was in development, the goal of the project was simply to make a game that was different from Final Fantasy XI.

http://kotaku.com/5963155/new-final-fantasy-xiv-director-talks-about-what-went-wrong-with-the-original
[+]
 Leviathan.Loona
Server: Leviathan
user: Loona
By Leviathan.Loona 2016-06-24 06:58:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd settle for things like gradually downplaying the importance of PlayOnline, so that the 1st impression of someone curious about the game wouldn't consist of waiting hours for updates to finish. I wonder if they could use the test server for this, the button for that in the game seems to still work, at least...
 Ragnarok.Primex
By Ragnarok.Primex 2016-06-24 08:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Petition SE to invest in FFXI - 2!
[+]