2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI and X360 Wireless Gamepad after XInput patch
FFXI and X360 Wireless Gamepad after XInput patch
 leo
By leo 2015-11-11 16:35:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
Did S-E patch in Xbox 360 controller support finally?

Yep and that's the object of this discussion.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-11 18:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah they finally added Xinput support.
Works awesome but there's some troubles if you wanna customize buttons.

We're looking for ways to overcome it until SE fixes it (which might take some time considering they took 13 years to add Xinput :P)
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-12 09:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I'm going to play with all of this when I get home and try out my different controllers and see what's up.
Did you had a chance to do that yet?

On a side note, JP people made a post in the technical support presenting the same issue as us.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/49110-X-Input%E5%AF%BE%E5%BF%9C%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%81%A7%E3%83%9C%E3%82%BF%E3%83%B3%E5%89%B2%E3%82%8A%E5%BD%93%E3%81%A6%E3%82%92%E5%A4%89%E6%9B%B4%E3%81%97%E3%81%A6%E3%82%82%E5%A4%89%E6%9B%B4%E3%81%8C%E9%81%A9%E7%94%A8%E3%81%95%E3%82%8C%E3%81%AA%E3%81%84

Presets work, but customizations (any change from the preset) doesn't get recognized in game, who still uses the configuration of the last preset you chose.
I'm still unsure if this happens only with the Xinput presets or the non xinput ones as well.
I'll try when I get back home.
I was under the impression this issue affected EVERYTHING, but from the JP post it seems like they're saying it only affects the Xinput one.
Hmmm... I'll do more tests later.
By Jetackuu 2015-11-12 09:09:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Did you had a chance to do that yet?
Unfortunately not, after a car accident and dinner last night I went straight to bed. I'll be able to mess with it this weekend at the latest. If I had a controller here at work I'd try it now.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-11-12 09:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I have left mine as is, the bumpers as the macro keys and run as the start button. I've gotten used to it, so no need to change now.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-12 09:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
I have left mine as is, the bumpers as the macro keys and run as the start button. I've gotten used to it, so no need to change now.
BEFORE I changed it yes, it was working fine with my previous configuration.
When I tried to test it with the "gamepad tester" it wasn't working fine, I was getting all wrong/funky inputs.
But when I was in-game it was working like usual.

Problem is that once I changed it... I can't seem to turn it back.
Wish I made a backup of my registry before changing.

Maybe you could post the content of your registry entries? It's just 2 keys, their names are posted on first page.
If you can share those values maybe I can try to copy/paste unto my registries and see if they work.

I used to have my X360 configured like this
Triggers => unconfigured
Bumpers => CTRL and ALT macros
Y => contextual menu/option
X => main menu
B => Cancel
A => Confirm
Start => Autorun
Back => hide UI
Left stick => movement
Right stick => camera
Digital cross => menus/target select
Press left stick => target lock/heal
Press right stick => first person mode/third person mode (view change)
 Sylph.Talym
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Talym
By Sylph.Talym 2015-11-12 10:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Not an X360 controller, but I can now use my DualShock 4 via bluetooth without any 3rd-party tools whatsoever (no DS4Windows, SCPtoolkit, etc.), much to my very great surprise.

Additionally, I can customize the button settings and they work fine, so not sure what the difference is there...
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-12 10:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Which preset are you using? Do you have "Xinput" option turned on or off?
Which gamepad did you use before the patch?
Were the settings you are currently using created before the patch or after?
By Jetackuu 2015-11-12 10:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Talym said: »
Not an X360 controller, but I can now use my DualShock 4 via bluetooth without any 3rd-party tools whatsoever (no DS4Windows, SCPtoolkit, etc.), much to my very great surprise.

Additionally, I can customize the button settings and they work fine, so not sure what the difference is there...

PS4 is supposed to be a direct input controller anyway, so you shouldn't have needed custom software to get it to work anyway. Unless my information is wrong, which it could be. I don't have a PS4 controller to test.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-11-12 10:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

BEFORE I changed it yes, it was working fine with my previous configuration.
When I tried to test it with the "gamepad tester" it wasn't working fine, I was getting all wrong/funky inputs.
But when I was in-game it was working like usual.

Problem is that once I changed it... I can't seem to turn it back.
Wish I made a backup of my registry before changing.

Maybe you could post the content of your registry entries? It's just 2 keys, their names are posted on first page.
If you can share those values maybe I can try to copy/paste unto my registries and see if they work.

I used to have my X360 configured like this
Triggers => unconfigured
Bumpers => CTRL and ALT macros
Y => contextual menu/option
X => main menu
B => Cancel
A => Confirm
Start => Autorun
Back => hide UI
Left stick => movement
Right stick => camera
Digital cross => menus/target select
Press left stick => target lock/heal
Press right stick => first person mode/third person mode (view change)

I'm currently at work. I get off at 7pm EST and will be online around 830. I'll try to lookup the info and post it and PM it to you then.
 Sylph.Talym
VIP
By Sylph.Talym 2015-11-12 10:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Which preset are you using? Do you have "Xinput" option turned on or off?
Which gamepad did you use before the patch?
Were the settings you are currently using created before the patch or after?

At work right now so I can't verify, but I believe I'm using preset B, with several buttons set to none (no logout button, no screenshot, etc.). XInput option is turned on.

@Jetackuu Yeah, it worked before when plugged in via USB, but never via bluetooth, without using 3rd party stuff. Also, in the Windows game controller properties, it indeed shows the triggers as registering analog x/y axes, as well as discrete digital button presses. With DirectInput prior to this patch, the triggers did not register.

For the record, I am on Windows 10, as that may make a difference, I suppose. I did reboot for some Windows updates just after the patch, so it's also possible that something got updated there to affect this as well.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-11-12 10:38:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah they finally added Xinput support.
Works awesome but there's some troubles if you wanna customize buttons.

We're looking for ways to overcome it until SE fixes it (which might take some time considering they took 13 years to add Xinput :P)

I made the mistake of customizing my 360 controller and it was totally borked in-game. Sigh... I was so excited when I saw this topic, too. edit: to add to what Talym said, the 360 worked before, just the shoulder buttons registered as switches rather than buttons, like the PS4 did. That was the only thing that worked for me, other buttons either didn't work on didn't map to where I requested.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-12 10:39:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm currently at work. I get off at 7pm EST and will be online around 830. I'll try to lookup the info and post it and PM it to you then.
Can post it publically, there's no private information there ;)
The location is the following if you have Windows 7 X64

HKey Local Machine > Software > Wow6432Node > PlayonlineEU > Final Fantasy XI

Well, change PlayonlineEU with PlayonlineUS if you're from the USA of course.
Inside that folder there are 2 keys relative to the gamepad: padmode and padsin.
Just doubleclick, copy the content, and then paste it somewhere.

@Talim
Important question.
Do you remember if you entered into the FFXI gamepad configuration and SAVED any change, after the patch, or if the settings you are currently using, whatever they may be, were set and saved BEFORE the patch?
 Sylph.Talym
VIP
By Sylph.Talym 2015-11-12 10:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

@Talim
Important question.
Do you remember if you entered into the FFXI gamepad configuration and SAVED any change, after the patch, or if the settings you are currently using, whatever they may be, were set and saved BEFORE the patch?

Definitely after - I did have to check "Use XInput" or whatever, after all, and that did not exist prior to the patch.

Edit: I guess one difference may be that I didn't actuallyreassign any buttons, just removed some from doing anything at all in the game?

But it definitely saved the settings in any case.
 leo
By leo 2015-11-12 11:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Windows 10 anyone?

One person at the official forum mentioned Windows 10, and that could be the source of the "issue".

The xinput dll is part of the OS. Keep that in mind.
 Bahamut.Hjordis
Server: Bahamut
user: hjor
By Bahamut.Hjordis 2015-11-12 12:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I found out a workaround if you don't mind losing the triggers, at least it is working for me. Went and deleted the new xinput files from main and ToolUS folders, set up the controller back to what I had it and booted the game. Back to normal. At least until they patch it.

For the love of altana, make a back up before you delete anything.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-12 12:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Windows 7 x64

@Hjordis
Just the xinputdll.dll file from both folders? Nothing else?
 Bahamut.Hjordis
Server: Bahamut
user: hjor
By Bahamut.Hjordis 2015-11-12 12:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I deleted everything that said xinput in those 2 folders... So far working as before. But I warn that I am not sure if this will affect something else in the long run!
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-12 13:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok worked for me as well, here is what I did step-by-step.

1) Go into the FFXI folder and the ToolEU (US if u're american) subfolder
2) Backup the xinputdll.dll file in each of those folders
3) Delete the 2 files
4) Load the FFXI Pad config application
5) Select "Default" preset
6) Proceed to re-set all the buttons and sticks the way you want them
7) Exit and save

done!
 Carbuncle.Conini
Server: Carbuncle
user: Conini
By Carbuncle.Conini 2015-11-12 14:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Worked for me as well~ thanks Hjordis...

Honestly the triggers were nice but uh... yeah I can definitely sacrifice them for A not being B.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-12 14:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

YEah, after 13 years used with a certain order of A and B it would take me months of bad gameplay experience to get used to the new one.
I can wait until they fix their xinput.dll or we find an easy solution to force-swap the buttons through windows drivers.
 leo
By leo 2015-11-12 15:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny enough I was able to swap them (they correctly set the way you guys wanted yours to be, green button confirm, red button cancel) but because I always played on the Japanese client I wanted the red button being confirm instead.

I was able to set everything as I wanted. Very curious the fact that a LOT of people are having that issue and I didn't.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-13 02:38:08
Link | Quote | Reply

That's quite ironic...
Btw guys if you have an official account please go and put likes in the English thread and in the Japanese thread
By haorhu2 2015-11-13 04:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

hey guys and thank you for step-by-step **

at the

3) delete the 2 files ** >> but wich 2 files i have to delete ? ^^

I tried to patch my ffxi and didnt work i just come back a full update so little scareed to make something wrong ^^

But that's sucks stupid SE cant put new things without fail *
By haorhu2 2015-11-13 04:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

OMG and now pad completly broken ** on ffxi pad appli * lol THE HELL !
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-13 05:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

the two files are "xinputdll.dll", placed in the FFXI directory and in the ToolsEU subdirectory (ToolsUS if you're using the american version of the game)
 leo
By leo 2015-11-13 06:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys, that clearly shows they develop and test FFXI on Windows XP.

the two files are "xinputdll.dll", placed in the FFXI directory and in the ToolsEU subdirectory (ToolsUS if you're using the american version of the game)

The one on the tools folder is likely only used by the test controller feature of the joystick setup tool.

OH, I believe there were a brief mention at the patch notes reading that you would need directx 9 installed on the computer for it to work properly. I am not sure if it mentioned that particularly for Windows XP or for all Windows platforms...
 Asura.Traice
user: Soic
By Asura.Traice 2015-11-13 23:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

So when I delete the xinputdll.dll files my triggers stop working. So frustrating. Using a logitech F310. Anyone know a fix?
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-11-14 12:06:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Xinput released by SE is the "fix" for that, but it has other issues.
Most people inside this thread have been using gamepads without configuring triggers for the past 10+ years.
That's why we were excited about the Xinput update.
By Jetackuu 2015-11-14 13:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

OK, I've played with it a bit now.

On my VMs that I have a PS2 controller via an adapter and a Logitech F310 in D-input mode, they worked as always, no changes. But I also didn't go in and enable x-input.

On my VM with the custom 360 drivers it worked as usual, again without going in and changing anything.

On a VM where I hadn't played with anything yet (don't ask why I have so many, it will take too long to explain) I enabled x-input and manually set all my buttons and regardless O and X were reversed in the game, even with them set right or reverse, also my dpad wouldn't configure properly in the setup for some reason, but worked fine in the game.

I have to go to town now, but for those who were working before, I'd hope turning x-input off would get you back to how you were, as to get it working with the buttons you'd like, you can just uninstall the official M$ drivers and install the custom ones:

http://ledyba.org/bkup/xbox360driver/x360wc/index.html

As for the deleting xinput.dll files from the XI folders themselves, I haven't tried doing that yet, what's the purpose in this?