Ashley Madison Was All Men Talking To Eachother

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ashley Madison was all men talking to eachother
Ashley Madison was all men talking to eachother
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-27 05:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ashley Madison was a bunch of dudes talking to each other, data analysis suggests.
Serves those A-holes right, hahaha!

I've always hated the concept of an infidelity promoting website or any kind of organisation promoting this. Coming across this headline really made my day.

Quote:
The Ashley Madison hack has revealed a lot of interesting things about the men who used the extramarital affair-finding site, like which cities, states, and universities they're from.

But what about the women?

Turns out, there may not have been very many women. As in, almost none.

Gizmodo writer Annalee Newlitz analyzed the data from the site's user database and found a lot of suspicious stuff that suggest nearly all the female accounts were fake, maintained by the company's employees.

First, the official numbers. The info that the hackers published contained about 31 million accounts apparently belonging to men, and about 5 million apparently belonging to women.

But when Newlitz dug deeper, she found a bunch of test accounts that ended with ashleymadison.com, suggesting that they were created internally (90% of them were for women), and a 350 female accounts for people with the same and very unusual last name.

Then, she found three really damning pieces of data:

Only 1,492 of the women in the database had ever checked their messages on the site. That's compared with more than 20 million men.
Only 2,409 of the women had ever used the site's chat function, versus more than 11 million men.
Only 9,700 women had ever responded to a message from another person on the site, versus almost 6 million men.
It's possible that most of the women signed up but never did anything.

But either way, Newlitz writes, "Ashley Madison is a site where tens of millions of men write mail, chat, and spend money for women who aren’t there."

The site's parent company, Avid Life Media, did not immediately return a request for comment.

Full story here: http://gizmodo.com/almost-none-of-the-women-in-the-ashley-madison-database-1725558944
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-08-27 05:41:20
Link | Quote | Reply

So Ashley Madison was all about cyber encounters, not actual real life stuff?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-27 05:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

All online dating is 90% men 10% women !

It's just like going to a bar. If you go looking for women you will be disappointed with all the bros.
By fonewear 2015-08-27 05:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Quote:
Ashley Madison was a bunch of dudes talking to each other, data analysis suggests.
Serves those A-holes right, hahaha!

I've always hated the concept of an infidelity promoting website or any kind of organisation promoting this. Coming across this headline really made my day.

Quote:
The Ashley Madison hack has revealed a lot of interesting things about the men who used the extramarital affair-finding site, like which cities, states, and universities they're from.

But what about the women?

Turns out, there may not have been very many women. As in, almost none.

Gizmodo writer Annalee Newlitz analyzed the data from the site's user database and found a lot of suspicious stuff that suggest nearly all the female accounts were fake, maintained by the company's employees.

First, the official numbers. The info that the hackers published contained about 31 million accounts apparently belonging to men, and about 5 million apparently belonging to women.

But when Newlitz dug deeper, she found a bunch of test accounts that ended with ashleymadison.com, suggesting that they were created internally (90% of them were for women), and a 350 female accounts for people with the same and very unusual last name.

Then, she found three really damning pieces of data:

Only 1,492 of the women in the database had ever checked their messages on the site. That's compared with more than 20 million men.
Only 2,409 of the women had ever used the site's chat function, versus more than 11 million men.
Only 9,700 women had ever responded to a message from another person on the site, versus almost 6 million men.
It's possible that most of the women signed up but never did anything.

But either way, Newlitz writes, "Ashley Madison is a site where tens of millions of men write mail, chat, and spend money for women who aren’t there."

The site's parent company, Avid Life Media, did not immediately return a request for comment.

Full story here: http://gizmodo.com/almost-none-of-the-women-in-the-ashley-madison-database-1725558944

The more interesting question is that they have a business model that caters towards cheaters let that sink in a bit !
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-27 05:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
So Ashley Madison was all about cyber encounters, not actual real life stuff?
Seems like it.

fonewear said: »
All online dating is 90% men 10% women !

It's just like going to a bar. If you go looking for women you will be disappointed with all the bros.
That is a very valid point haha
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-08-27 05:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought AM was where you arrange to actually meet other married people. Not that cyber cheating is anything less than cheating.
By fonewear 2015-08-27 05:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's amazing that anyone actually dates anyone these days. *pulls up old man pants* Back in my day you actually got to know people.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-27 05:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

This video pretty much sums up the Ashley Madison experience.
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-27 05:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought AM was where you arrange to actually meet other married people. Not that cyber cheating is anything less than cheating.

It was supposed to cater to those wanting an affair. People tired of marriage etc. So they could find other people looking for an affair.

If you build a "relationship" off of a lie what do you expect will happen in the end ? Nothing good.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-08-27 05:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It's amazing that anyone actually dates anyone these days. *pulls up old man pants* Back in my day you actually got to know people.
I remember seeing a screenshot from FB of a girl complaining about being lonely and a random guy replying 'inbox me.' A few mins later it showed that she was now in a relationship with him. >.>

EDIT: Looks like I caught Fone sober. Lol
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-27 05:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I've read enough Huff Post women that I could write their dating advice column.

Better dating in one step.

Drink before and after. No matter what happens at least you will have a good time.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-08-27 05:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I've read enough Huff Post women that I could write their dating advice column.
There was a movie like that one time, I think it starred Charlie Sheen.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-27 06:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The first mistake of Ashley Madison is that people got married. What were they expecting from marriage ?

If you are not happy before marriage getting married is going to make it even worse.

Unless you want to have a family I don't see any real point of getting married.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-08-27 06:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The first mistake of Ashley Madison is that people got married. What were they expecting from marriage ?

If you are not happy before marriage getting married is going to make it even worse.

Aren't there like tax benefits or something?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-27 06:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes but you really going to do all that work for tax benefits ?

I've seen what marriage has done to my friends and I don't like what I see !

They used to be full of life after marriage I don't even recognize them anymore...
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-27 06:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

They used to be full of life after marriage I don't even recognize them anymore...
My theory is this happens because in modern times people generally start a relationship with sex, and then work on the relationship(love) part after. With sex being the corner stone of the relationship. It's foundation is doomed as soon as the sex isn't satisfying like it was in the beginning, and the relationship almost always inevitably starts to fail.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-08-27 06:46:20
Link | Quote | Reply

A common problem is that people go into relationships (not just marriage) without already being complete people on their own.

If you can't love yourself/function on your own, how can you possibly be an asset to your partner?

Marriage is fine. Are cars inherently evil because people drive drunk?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-27 06:48:55
Link | Quote | Reply

My theory is this happens because in modern times people generally start a relationship with sex, and then work on the relationship(love) part after. With sex being the corner stone of the relationship. It's foundation is doomed as soon as the sex isn't satisfying like it was in the beginning, and the relationship almost always inevitably starts to fail.

This is a good point. We promote sex first and getting to know the person as an afterthought. When getting to know someone should happen first.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-27 06:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
Are cars inherently evil because people drive drunk?
/enters

No, cars are inherently evil because they pollute the world!

/leaves
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-27 06:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

A common problem is that people go into relationships (not just marriage) without already being complete people on their own.

If you can't love yourself/function on your own, how can you possibly be an asset to your partner?

Who said anything about love I'm talking about marriage here !

I think people get married for the wrong reasons. I should have worded it that way.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-27 06:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I "love" a lot of things but I don't want to be married to them !
By fonewear 2015-08-27 06:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

As a single man all this marriage talk makes me feel that feel when you are last picked in dodge ball !

[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-27 07:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Who said anything about love I'm talking about marriage here !

I think people get married for the wrong reasons. I should have worded it that way.

Absolutely true.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-27 07:28:24
Link | Quote | Reply

My theory is this happens because in modern times people generally start a relationship with sex, and then work on the relationship(love) part after.
I disagree.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-27 07:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

One of the best quotes regarding love and sex ever was spoken by David Carridine in an interview with Maxim around the time Kill Bill vol. 2 was released.

I can't find the specific article online, but paraphrased it was this:

"Love without sex is incomplete, and sex without love is hollow and meaningless."

He of course worded it slightly differently and it was a bit more poignant, but I'd like to think I've gotten his point across. And I agree with him completely.

Couples need to be compatible in many ways. Emotionally, sexually, financial mindedness, and so on.

Building a relationship on any one factor is practically always doomed to failure.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-27 07:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I find marriage to be an expensive promise, but some people like doing it, for "reasons."

To each their own.

But yes, if one isn't happy with themselves they will never be happy with somebody else, and it just creates strain, and very bad scenarios.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-27 07:31:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
My theory is this happens because in modern times people generally start a relationship with sex, and then work on the relationship(love) part after.
I disagree.

You can disagree all you like, but I've got a lot of experience watching from the sidelines and observing relationships impartially as someone with no interest in starting up a new one. From high school all the way up through adulthood I've seen a lot of relationships come and go for friends and coworkers.

A vast majority of them have their initial basis solely in physical attraction and a desire for sex and have built out from there. The ones that began with common interests and similar life goals have faired far, far better. Not perfectly, mind you. But much better as a whole.

Edit: That is to say, as I said. Sex is an important part of a relationship, but if it is the primary factor in one, from my observations at least, it's going to cause problems if it stays the key component throughout a course of years.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-27 07:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
But yes, if one isn't happy with themselves they will never be happy with somebody else

I don't entirely agree with this either. The "you have to love yourself before you can love anyone else" concept is motivational poster fluff born of good intention, but flawed.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-27 07:36:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Jetackuu said: »
But yes, if one isn't happy with themselves they will never be happy with somebody else

I don't entirely agree with this either. The "you have to love yourself before you can love anyone else" concept is motivational poster fluff born of good intention, but flawed.

I'm not saying it's impossible to love somebody else if you don't love yourself, but if you don't love yourself it will make for one rocky relationship.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-27 07:41:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I would like to add however, as I pointed out in P&R before, while I think the AM site was pretty revolting, and I think people being exposed very likely* deserve what they're getting, I still think the hackers need to be exposed and prosecuted because my feelings on the subject are moot. They've violated millions of people's privacy. While I personally don't agree with these people's behavior, it is not illegal behavior, and the precedent set if the hackers are not rigorously pursued and prosecuted is extremely dangerous.

*There are 37 million people here. I'm willing to take with a grain of salt at least a decent-size handful of them are stolen identities or falsely created accounts in the first place.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5