Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Why I still play FFXI
Why I still play FFXI
By Mattelot 2022-02-16 08:07:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Who gives a crap what game someone plays? Games are meant to have fun and if you're still having fun, what's the problem? Why does someone's fun have to be the same as another persons? Stating someone is a "X player" as some kind of insult is idiotic. You play Fortnite? I don't but I'm glad you're having fun with it.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2022-02-16 08:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It’s like riding a bike. I’m not going to quit and get something new and fancy because it has the support of an electric motor. I am content going up hill both ways in the snow. Get off my lawn don’t steal my NM.
[+]
 Asura.Hamburgerz
Server: Asura
user: Dandawgs
By Asura.Hamburgerz 2022-02-16 09:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Because the drop rates are so terrible and I'm not giving up.
[+]
By Mattelot 2022-02-16 09:20:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Commencal said: »
It’s like riding a bike. I’m not going to quit and get something new and fancy because it has the support of an electric motor. I am content going up hill both ways in the snow. Get off my lawn don’t steal my NM.

Use a Segway like a normal member of 2022.
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2022-02-16 09:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Mostly because I’m lucky to have people I’ve played with for over a decade in the linkshell I’m in.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-02-16 10:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Team Fortress 2, Guild Wars 1, Everquest, WOW, Skyrim, half life, Street fighter 2, Old School Runescape, Aion, Lineage 2. Still popular and played religiously by people. WoW is the same age as XI and still one of the biggest mmorpgs.

Honestly, all the movies TV shows and music I like are also 10-15 years old too. Only reason anyone used to complain about xi being old were people from another game that shall remain nameless.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-02-16 10:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Honestly, all the movies TV shows and music I like are also 10-15 years old too.
I've just accepted that I can't get into more modern stuff. I know it makes me an old fart, but games after the 6th console generation really stopped appealing to me overall. Every so often something will come out that I appreciate. And when I think on it, those games tend to have traits in common with FFXI.
[+]
By Mattelot 2022-02-16 10:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Radda said: »
Mattelot said: »
Who gives a crap what game someone plays? Games are meant to have fun and if you're still having fun, what's the problem? Why does someone's fun have to be the same as another persons? Stating someone is a "X player" as some kind of insult is idiotic. You play Fortnite? I don't but I'm glad you're having fun with it.

Serious question:

Are you ever not offended?

Are you really going to be one of those people who gets debunked, gets extremely angry about it, can't get over it then follows the person who debunked you to every thread using words you don't understand? I mean, would you like to sit down and talk?
By GwenStacy 2022-02-16 11:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I just doubled my sub on inventory you better believe i'm still playing
[+]
By Mattelot 2022-02-16 11:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Whow, calm down there, pal.

So the answer to my question was "yes".

Wanna talk about it?
 Bahamut.Radda
Server: Bahamut
user: radda
By Bahamut.Radda 2022-02-16 11:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Whow, calm down there, pal.

So the answer to my question was "yes".

Wanna talk about it?

lol Sorry, I forgot words are hard for you. Although I'm not sure I can express myself monosyllabically enough for you to remain comfortable.

I told ya, lol I'm fine to sit down and talk, but it's likely you'll get all offended... as you usually seem to be.

:)
 Asura.Zigzagzig
user: zigzagzig
By Asura.Zigzagzig 2022-02-16 11:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Because yesterday my back was itchy.
By Mattelot 2022-02-16 11:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, calm down, pal. There really is no need to be so angry. We're all friends here, right? This is a happy place!

So you do want to talk? Great! What really is it that's got you so upset here that you feel compelled to drag things to another thread? Trust me, friend. I don't care what your friends on 4chan said, it's perfectly OK to let things go. It's perfectly fine to lose. You'll learn quickly after school that once you're out in the real world, people are humbled often. It's nothing to grow up feeling ashamed of. It doesn't mean defeat. Take a good, long breath (In through the mouth, out through the nose) and repeat after me. "GOOSEFRABA!"
 Bahamut.Radda
By Bahamut.Radda 2022-02-16 11:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, calm down, pal. There really is no need to be so angry. We're all friends here, right? This is a happy place!

So you do want to talk? Great! What really is it that's got you so upset here that you feel compelled to drag things to another thread? Trust me, friend. I don't care what your friends on 4chan said, it's perfectly OK to let things go. It's perfectly fine to lose. You'll learn quickly after school that once you're out in the real world, people are humbled often. It's nothing to grow up feeling ashamed of. It doesn't mean defeat. Take a good, long breath (In through the mouth, out through the nose) and repeat after me. "GOOSEFRABA!"

Woah, calm down there, buddy. So the answer to my question is "no", you are always offended.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2022-02-16 12:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I just saw two people calling each other pal and buddy in an argument, and all I can think is i want to see "I am not your buddy, pal" please continue for me until it devolves to that level, thank you.
[+]
 Bahamut.Radda
By Bahamut.Radda 2022-02-16 12:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Pardon me.

I'm not your pal, buddy!
 Bahamut.Spookyfish
By Bahamut.Spookyfish 2022-02-16 13:50:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You two should just make out already.

Edit: Oh yea there's a theme to this thread. I can't quit till I get a Kraken Club.
[+]
 Bahamut.Radda
By Bahamut.Radda 2022-02-16 13:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Spookyfish said: »
You two should just make out already.

Edit: Oh yea there's a theme to this thread. I can't quit till I get a Kraken Club.

Eh, he'd probably get all offended.

KC is nice for a few specific things. It made Gastra trials a relative breeze. ( Especially after Burt trials. )
By Spookyfish89 2022-02-16 14:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

KC is nice for a few specific things. It made Gastra trials a relative breeze. ( Especially after Burt trials. )

It's been something I've wanted to get since I was like 16, back in the days of Ramuh.
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2022-02-16 14:09:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
RadialArcana said: »
Honestly, all the movies TV shows and music I like are also 10-15 years old too.
I've just accepted that I can't get into more modern stuff. I know it makes me an old fart, but games after the 6th console generation really stopped appealing to me overall. Every so often something will come out that I appreciate. And when I think on it, those games tend to have traits in common with FFXI.

Not just you if it helps, and to be honest im not even entirely convinced its a "Getting old" thing, though that has some effect on it. The games landscape has been changing more and more, and a lot of game studios have pressure to add or force in additional monetization like Microtransactions. Not to mention original IPs are often seen as an unacceptable risk so we just have mounds of rehashes remasters and remakes on top of endless sequels which can burn out anyone.

Now it goes without saying but some people are dense, we had shovelware since the beginning of time, not all old games are good and not all new ones are bad. Just sayin, I see where you're coming from.

I miss the days of the Itemization quality and customization options of games like Diablo 2 and FFXI. I know "Meta is Meta" but the exploration and wonder of what I'll find and what it'll drop or even if I can actually defeat it is all I needed to entertain myself, I didn't care, half of my mules inventory is still filled with a bunch of useless R/EX drops from random NMs around the world just as trophies and memories.

I'm so bored to tears with modern streamlined dumbed down Itemization of "Item Lv 105 > Item Level 100 cause it has +1 number", and every single RPG or MMO just being a gear treadmill version of that bland itemization so no one feels dumb or has to think about what they put on.

Like damn I just want to have to use my brain again, or at the very least give me an illusion of deep itemization, I'll take scraps at this point.
[+]
 Bahamut.Radda
By Bahamut.Radda 2022-02-16 14:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Spookyfish89 said: »

It's been something I've wanted to get since I was like 16, back in the days of Ramuh.

I feel ya. Forsure I get it. When I returned to the game that was my number one most coveted item. I never had one back in the heyday.

For solo play it's a ton of fun. Expensive toy in that respect, but if you have a good group with tons of support, and gear, you can use it for endgame, although, again, it's pretty limited.

By no means am I trying to talk you out of it! lol I love mine!
 Cerberus.Dekar
Server: Cerberus
user: Dekar1
By Cerberus.Dekar 2022-02-16 15:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I still have fun playing FFXI with my friends.

I also secretly hold out hope that we'll get new jobs like Chemist or Calculator eventually.