Windows 10 Free??

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » windows 10 free??
windows 10 free??
First Page 2 3
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2015-06-28 23:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a new icon on my laptop opting me to reserve a free upgrade to windows 10 on July 29th , saving me 119$. Is there a hidden gimmick? If I do opt for the free upgrade will all my files and stuff be erased or still be there after upgrade? I don't want to re load windower,ff11,steam games etc.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-28 23:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

10 is a free upgrade from 7 and 8. I hear they're even giving it to people with unlicensed copies of windows.

MS is moving aggressively toward cloud solutions, getting more people on 10 is just part of that model.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2015-06-28 23:26:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Upgrading between Windows versions usually preserves your programs and settings

We don't really know the full details of the Windows 10 upgrade yet, and whether or not there will be any "catches". I personally suspect Microsoft will be turning Windows into a subscription-based service, where the upgrade is free only for the first year or two, afterwards requiring a yearly fee. This is speculation

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-28 23:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
This is speculation

Microsoft is a pretty honest company. There's no need to pull a bait and switch, the vast majority of MS's profits are from enterprise and PC manufacturer licenses.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2015-06-28 23:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, I'm using 7 atm. I could really care less about upgrading for the most part. The only thing I'd get 10 for was the potentially cool sounding fable mmo, so if my files are preserved might as well. As far as charging a sub, I can totally see MS pulling that ***... That's the reason I don't buy Xbox crap, I'm not paying for gold to play console games I already own.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-28 23:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hotkarl said: »
I can totally see MS pulling that ***

You're welcome to read the EULA in Windows Update.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-06-28 23:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

This is just MS trying to get as many people on 10 for initial release as possible. Personally I'll be waiting for 10.1, SP1 or whatever they will call the inevitable feature update that is needed to make it functional. The only thing I'd be wary of is how a subscription model is practically built into the OS. MS has said they don't intent to charge subscriptions for the OS but that doesn't prevent them from charging for "features" at some later date.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-29 00:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I got that icon at the beginning of the month. Definitely not switching from 7 anytime soon. Always best to wait a few months.

Asura.Saevel said: »
I'll be waiting for 10.1, SP1 or whatever they will call the inevitable feature update that is needed to make it functional.
Basically this.
[+]
 Asura.Ivlilla
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-29 03:06:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Wanted: Microsoft Corporation
Crime: Murder of Windows 9
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-06-29 03:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll be taking their free upgrade of 10, getting bored of 8.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-29 03:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
I could definitely see doing this. But if you using 7 right now, best to wait a few months. If you're using 8, going to 10 sooner seems like a good decision.
By Pantafernando 2015-06-29 03:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope new windows 10 is more like 7 and totaly diferent of 8, that i never get used to.

But windows generally alternate "good" OS (imo, atleast): xp (good), vista (crap), 7 (good), 8 (disliked).

Also,

Josiahkf said: »
especially with more and more competition getting ground, for all we know google will make a real OS soon and crush microsoft by 2020

Whys that? I dont have knowledge inside software market, but how google could "crush" a company that is famous in this business for over 2 decades? I use windows because is the system im familiar to since forever, but i used linux and iOS and never got used to both because they lacked windows functionalities, so i would just use google OS if they were... More windows than windows itself.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-29 05:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see Google being the company to make a competent OS competitor to Microsoft.
[+]
 Asura.Ivlilla
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-29 05:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

No one is going to be replacing Microsoft anytime soon. I am trying to remember the exact phrasing for this, and failing, but it basically comes down to "the vast majority of people are accustomed to using PCs with Windows Operating Systems, and software that is frequently only available on Windows Operating Systems."

If someone were to make a perfect implementation of the Windows API that would compile on multiple *nix platforms, and the people in the Free/Open Source Software world tried to remember that if they want widespread adoption of their products they need to remember they're making them for people who aren't engineers and don't already know exactly how the product works and often can't even use a digital thermostat, then maybe you'd finally see the mythical year of "Linux on the Desktop".

But it's unlikely to happen.
By Jetackuu 2015-06-29 07:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
I hear they're even giving it to people with unlicensed copies of windows.
This was debunked.

However you can apparently use full 10 if you use the insider preview (just have to stay a member of the insider program, apparently).
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-06-29 07:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
I got that icon at the beginning of the month. Definitely not switching from 7 anytime soon. Always best to wait a few months.

Asura.Saevel said: »
I'll be waiting for 10.1, SP1 or whatever they will call the inevitable feature update that is needed to make it functional.
Basically this.

You have a one year window to get the free version. Not sure if you can download and choose not to install.

I'll switch to 10 once the fabulous Windower devs test it and make sure both Ffxi and Windower are fully compatible. There have been a lot of issues with people running Windows 8 and 8.1 not being able to get Windower functioning properly and not working altogether.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-29 08:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I could definitely see doing this. But if you using 7 right now, best to wait a few months. If you're using 8, going to 10 sooner seems like a good decision.

Yeah, this. I'll be taking the upgrade on my laptop from 8. I don't mind 8 the way so many others do, but given I only use my laptop for writing and slow-paced gaming on a very rare basis, upgrading and getting a feel for 10 won't hurt.

Keeping 7 on the gaming rig until I'm comfortable that it won't jack up anything I do on a regular basis.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-29 08:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ivlilla said: »
software that is frequently only available on Windows Operating Systems

This is sort of key.

I'm getting too old to worry about the hassle associated with trying to make things work that aren't necessarily supposed to.

Back in the 90s I played with alternate operating systems (my favorite was BE OS) because I was a student and had time to futz around with computers as a hobby AND still game and stuff.

These days I need to be able to go to work, go to the gym, go shopping, cook dinner, and then when I finally have time to relax, just fire up my games.

I don't need to be swearing at driver conflicts and *** with system settings, half of which my knowledge is woefully outdated anyhow. It's the same reason I don't build my own computers anymore, either.

Just not worth the headache.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-06-29 08:46:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Yeah, this. I'll be taking the upgrade on my laptop from 8. I don't mind 8 the way so many others do, but given I only use my laptop for writing and slow-paced gaming on a very rare basis, upgrading and getting a feel for 10 won't hurt.

Keeping 7 on the gaming rig until I'm comfortable that it won't jack up anything I do on a regular basis.

I'm looking forward to it. The speed of 8 with a return to the classic UI.
By Jetackuu 2015-06-29 08:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

software that is frequently only available on Windows Operating Systems

This is sort of key.

I'm getting too old to worry about the hassle associated with trying to make things work that aren't necessarily supposed to.

Back in the 90s I played with alternate operating systems (my favorite was BE OS) because I was a student and had time to futz around with computers as a hobby AND still game and stuff.

These days I need to be able to go to work, go to the gym, go shopping, cook dinner, and then when I finally have time to relax, just fire up my games.

I don't need to be swearing at driver conflicts and *** with system settings, half of which my knowledge is woefully outdated anyhow. It's the same reason I don't build my own computers anymore, either.

Just not worth the headache.
Have less trouble with drivers and the like if I build them myself tbh.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-06-29 09:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I appreciate win10's speed and it's ability to utilize resources better. I'll no doubt get some use out of DX12 so at some point I'll probably switch but I just hate how win8 and 10 look visually.
By Jetackuu 2015-06-29 09:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
I appreciate win10's speed and it's ability to utilize resources better. I'll no doubt get some use out of DX12 so at some point I'll probably switch but I just hate how win8 and 10 look visually.
The lack of aero glass annoys the hell out of me.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-06-29 09:13:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I guess that's part of how they made it faster... By gutting all the pretty visuals.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-29 09:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

See, I actually like the look of 8. If 10 is actually faster, I'll appreciate that some and upgrade asap. 8 does like to dilly-dally sometimes, but it's never been a deal breaker for me with the limited things I do on the laptop.

I guess that's part of how they made it faster... By gutting all the pretty visuals.

Awww.

Ahh well. Function > form.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2015-06-29 09:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots of good input, I'm going to stick with 7 for bit more.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-29 09:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Wanted: Microsoft Corporation
Crime: Murder of Windows 9

A MS Academy trainer told me that the reason for the jump from 8 to 10 was that, in the code, windows 95/98 are referenced as 9x just as all the versions of 3.0/3.1 are 3x.

I don't know what issue it would have caused, but whatever.

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
I'm looking forward to it. The speed of 8 with a return to the classic UI.

I get that people don't want to learn new things, 8/8.1 is a pretty big shift for a UI that was very similar for 15 years, but people that say 8.1 doesn't work well drive me nuts.

Most desktop chips these days will handle virtualization, you just have to enable it and find a hypervisor. Between open source software and free licenses, you can run pretty much any software on any modern rig.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-29 09:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Y2K strikes again.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-29 09:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Y2K strikes again.

I think it was just one of those

"we have 8 million pages of code with 9x"

"what will happen?"

"I don't know, lets skip 9"

"we can't jump straight to 10, nobody will buy it"

"well ****"
By Jetackuu 2015-06-29 09:27:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Na, from what I read it was purely a "battery saving" decision when they went from 8's beta to 8.

Then make it a damn option, not gut the *** code.
[+]
First Page 2 3