Windows 10 Free??

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » windows 10 free??
windows 10 free??
By KiKashiiSenpai 2015-06-29 14:12:20
Link | Quote | Reply

ok so reading the smaller print says internet access fees may apply, does that mean a subscription like xbox live bs, or you will need a local internet provider?
By Ramyrez 2015-06-29 14:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

KiKashiiSenpai said: »
ok so reading the smaller print says internet access fees may apply, does that mean a subscription like xbox live bs, or you will need a local internet provider?

It's just an OS. I'm assuming they mean you need to have an ISP to download/use online-enabled features of the OS.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-29 14:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that is the downloading process. You aren't paying for the software, just the bandwidth from your provider to download it.

A lot of features are already installed with Windows like hyper-v. Supposedly there are only 3 unique versions of Windows 8.1; RT, Windows to go, and desktop. All the differences between the different versions of the desktop OS are determined by your product code. In place upgrades and features are done through Windows update and only require an internet connection to verify the product code. 10 as an upgrade is a pretty minimal install, but as an installation media it's pretty large.
By Zackan 2015-06-29 14:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yah its the same as saying 'data/text message rates may apply'

they are talking about your provider not the program or whatever.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-29 15:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Another feature I don't hear often mentioned but that I enjoy is multiple task bars for multiple monitors. Makes multitasking a lot easier.

You can customize them so much, I love it when doing a lot of remote management. When you have multiple remote connections with multiple monitors, it's so much easier to know what you're doing at a glance. And if you have multiple function keys on your keyboard or mouse, you can program them to do things without having to give focus to a specific window, which is another huge time-saver that 8 has natively.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Yatenkou
Server: Ragnarok
user: Yatenkou
By Ragnarok.Yatenkou 2015-06-29 16:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate 8.....

Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Elizara
By Quetzalcoatl.Elizara 2015-07-05 18:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I was going to wait a month or two, I had to get a new hdd anyway.

Got my stuff backed up and mean to keep it backed up, since when I "upgrade" it's going to be a clean install. ^^
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-05 18:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Elizara said: »
I was going to wait a month or two, I had to get a new hdd anyway.

Got my stuff backed up and mean to keep it backed up, since when I "upgrade" it's going to be a clean install. ^^

I don't know if they're going to be sending physical media out for upgrade licenses. There may be ISO's available, but if it's anything like the free 7 upgrades, you won't be able to do a clean install straight to 10. You'll need to do an install of whatever your license is for, then upgrade.
 Leviathan.Bilonn
Server: Leviathan
user: RKumono
By Leviathan.Bilonn 2015-07-05 21:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

@KiKashiiSenpai
Internet fees may apply due to it being over a 3GB download. If you're on mobile broadband or satellite internet, it will incur additional fees.

@Ragnarok.Yatenkou
Windows 8.1 is very easy to use, if shown how.
Step 1: Go to Start Screen (Start button on bottom left, Start on Charms bar, Start button on keyboard)
Step 2: Type in whatever you want to do using the keyboard.
(Examples:
Want to search for "Kittens", type "Kittens"
Want to open Notepad, type "Notepad"
Want to go to ffxiah.com, type "ffxiah.com"
Want to open the file where you have the phrase "Funny Website List", type "Funny Website List")
Step 3: Windows 8.1 will find what you're looking for to the best of it's capability (and it's pretty accurate at it).

I know you may still not like it, but it's so easy, I've taught peoples from 4yrs old to 100yrs old how to use it easily, just by doing the above.

@Quetzalcoatl.Elizara
@Odin.Jassik
Windows 10 will not be free using physical media. It will download and install via Windows Update--just like any other automatic updates.