San Antonio Chef Ticketed 2k For Feeding Homeless

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » San Antonio chef ticketed 2k for feeding homeless
San Antonio chef ticketed 2k for feeding homeless
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-04-17 13:20:33
Link | Quote | Reply

A few might remember the incident a while back in flordia where the elderly priest was arrested for feeding the homeless. Well it looks like the idea is spreading.

Quote:
Chef Joan Cheever serves high quality, healthy meals to the homeless people of San Antonio, Texas out of her food truck each week, a project she started in 2005. Though she's been running the "Chow Train" for years, local police recently slammed Cheever with a ticket carrying a fine of up to $2,000 because she brought prepared meals to the feeding location in a pick-up truck, take-out style:

As the court date to contest the ticket approaches, Cheever is considering mounting a religious freedom defense, citing laws very similar to the RFRA, which caused so much controversy in Indiana this spring. "This is how I pray," she says, "when I cook this food and deliver it to the people who are less fortunate."

In the meantime, Cheever will continue to serve weekly meals in spite of the ticket. -Bonnie Kristian

Source
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-17 13:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the actual law she broke?
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2015-04-17 13:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't quite understand what's so illegal about feeding the homeless, if the people in power don't like having homeless on the streets maybe they should actually tackle the issue instead of fining people for b/s reasons.
[+]
By juliointexas 2015-04-17 13:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

And this is what our people that are suppose to "protect and serve" do now? Instead of going after our people that should be behind bars, our city government goes after good samaritans as like her just helping less fortunate people out there. ME living in San Antonio, Tx., this shames me and my community that our government whatever forum it is has the nuts to do things like this yet we have violent people out there every day and use our hard earned money we pay to these people to do thier job and this is the end result? SMH
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-17 13:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I highly doubt the law is you can't feed the homeless. It's probably something about having a license or where you can setup your truck or what kind of truck you can use, etc.

There's a simple piece of information missing from this story that she could probably very easily rectify, but instead needs her 15min of fame.
[+]
By juliointexas 2015-04-17 13:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
What's the actual law she broke?
I would assume she probably didn't have proper permits is probably the reason why she was fined, I would have to research this but I can almost bet that's what it is for.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-17 13:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm fairly certain it has to do with various codes regarding sanitation and the like. It depends on the situation.

For instance, there was the occasion of hunters feeding the homeless with wild game they hunted. Except that wild game is not regulated and as such could not be "distributed".

It's all problematic and pretty awful to ticket someone for trying to help people, but it's not entirely impossible to understand.

It is one of those things that rustles jimmies though because all anyone sees is "chef fined for helping people!"

...but if all those homeless people get dysentery from improper handling, or parasites from improperly cooked wild game or whatever, it's a whole new ball game.

That said...I've got to go with my gut feeling that you shouldn't slap someone with a citation for being a good person. Explain the situation to them and how they can go about doing it in a fashion more in line with regulations.
[+]
By juliointexas 2015-04-17 13:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I highly doubt the law is you can't feed the homeless. It's probably something about having a license or where you can setup your truck or what kind of truck you can use, etc.

There's a simple piece of information missing from this story that she could probably very easily rectify, but instead needs her 15min of fame.

Yes I'll agree there but in turn it's still rediculous how local governments treat samaritans though
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-04-17 13:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Put them in a zoo, same rule plus you take them off the streets, soemone will take care of them and their cages and people get to play big brother on them. Everyone wins!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-17 13:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
I've got to go with my gut feeling that you shouldn't slap someone with a citation for being a good person. Explain the situation to them and how they can go about doing it in a fashion more in line with regulations.
I'd like to believe this.
[+]
By juliointexas 2015-04-17 13:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

And from reading the article, she was cited for transporting and serving food from a vehicle other than her's.

the article linked here explains what happened:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Chef-ticketed-facing-2-000-fine-for-feeding-6198766.php
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-17 13:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

juliointexas said: »

Yes I'll agree there but in turn it's still rediculous how local governments treat samaritans though
Nobody likes a hero these days... :/
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-04-17 13:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

she delivered the food improperly.
if the local government doesn't crack down and somebody gets sick they will be sued for not taking action
she got her 15 mins of fame and I'm sure someone will cover her ticket costs.

move along people, nothing to see here....
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-17 13:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

And from reading the article, she was cited for transporting and serving food from a vehicle other than her's.

the article linked here explains what happened:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Chef-ticketed-facing-2-000-fine-for-feeding-6198766.php
Yup...

I knew it, very easily rectified. All she had to do was use her licensed truck.

Quote:
Over the years, police officers have passed by and waved as she fed homeless people, but last Tuesday night four bike-patrol officers stopped in the park and gave Cheever a ticket that carries a potential fine of $2,000. Cheever has a food permit for her mobile truck, but she was cited for transporting and serving the food from a vehicle other than that truck.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-17 13:40:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Bingo!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-17 13:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

she delivered the food improperly.
if the local government doesn't crack down and somebody gets sick they will be sued for not taking action

move along people, nothing to see here....
It only took them ten years...
[+]
By juliointexas 2015-04-17 13:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Still while I'll admit is pointless what she did, she's well known not only here but pretty much all over if you read about it further, I mean she's been doing this for years, and because she did one silly thing now the city throws fines at her... I mean if she's not been a violator in the past, and only assuming as much. why now the stink about it, I'm sure they could have handled this better tbh but in the end too there are laws.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-17 13:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got to go with my gut feeling that you shouldn't slap someone with a citation for being a good person. Explain the situation to them and how they can go about doing it in a fashion more in line with regulations.
I'd like to believe this.

I said my gut feeling is that's how it should be.

What is...entirely different.
By juliointexas 2015-04-17 14:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
A few might remember the incident a while back in flordia where the elderly priest was arrested for feeding the homeless. Well it looks like the idea is spreading.

Quote:
Chef Joan Cheever serves high quality, healthy meals to the homeless people of San Antonio, Texas out of her food truck each week, a project she started in 2005. Though she's been running the "Chow Train" for years, local police recently slammed Cheever with a ticket carrying a fine of up to $2,000 because she brought prepared meals to the feeding location in a pick-up truck, take-out style:

As the court date to contest the ticket approaches, Cheever is considering mounting a religious freedom defense, citing laws very similar to the RFRA, which caused so much controversy in Indiana this spring. "This is how I pray," she says, "when I cook this food and deliver it to the people who are less fortunate."

In the meantime, Cheever will continue to serve weekly meals in spite of the ticket. -Bonnie Kristian

Source

To point out from this post it's easy to see why everyone says she wanted her 15 minutes.

I wish people would get all the facts before posting an article thats only one-sided. If people would do a little researching they could have had both sides explained and this wouldn't even be up here to begin with.

I mean it took me not even 2 minutes to find that article to refute the top post or at the least show both sides rather than just having her sobbing and not knowing why or partially knowing why.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-17 14:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The real question is, does she give out free condoms and/or birth control as well?
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-17 14:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The real question is, does she give out free condoms and/or birth control as well?

Given she's basing her charity on "God" and not "the right thing to do just to help people"?

Probably not.

[edited because I'm not sure if it complies with the new guidelines ._. ]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-17 14:23:26
Link | Quote | Reply

new guidelines
What new guidelines?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-17 14:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Forum Rules 4/17/15
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-17 14:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing new I noticed was:

Quote:
We have adopted a policy that if you plan on or is currently taking this website into litigation, you will be suspended indefinitely. Unless you sufficiently proven that you have dropped all claims, you will remain suspended.
lulz. Sue all the mods!

And idk what this is, is that like public cybering? (didn't know that was still a thing.)
Quote:
Furthermore, ERP (Erotic RolePlaying) is no longer allowed.

I'm surprised I missed that thread, but to be fair I've been kinda busy lately.

This made me lol though
Quote:
there is at least some form of control to which chaos is held at bay
You can't hold me back, man!

lol.

Carry on :P
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-17 14:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Aw man, another HR booklet? :/

Edit: WTF I CANT EROTIC ROLEPLAY ON HERE????
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-17 14:33:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm trying to think of a way to tie in the new rules with this lady feeding the homeless. Help me out!
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-17 14:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

We discussed it briefly in Ni.

It's not a big deal, but it wasn't that funny of a joke anyhow, so I just cut it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-17 14:36:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried to back read Ni before, but it was like 5 pages and I thought Zahrah just had some new 'hobby' called ERP. I don't judge... unless you're poor!
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-04-17 14:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried to back read Ni before, but it was like 5 pages and I thought Zahrah just had some new 'hobby' called ERP. I don't judge... unless you're poor!

No, the mods coined a new term. Though I find it humorous, leave me out of it, thanks.

Nix, nein, nyet! NO!!!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-17 14:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

That's what happens when I skim really fast. My bad :P
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5