The End Of An Era - Tell Me Your Deep Feelings.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » The end of an era - tell me your deep feelings.
The end of an era - tell me your deep feelings.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2015-03-20 11:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I just wish some aspects of the game didn't take as much time to complete. In the early days of the game, (CON) it would take months or several weeks to get to 75. (PRO) But that's how you made friends in the game and got to know people.

Fast forward to the latter days of the game, you can get from 30-99 in a day or two while afk...
 Asura.Reichleiu
Server: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-03-20 11:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Building on what I have just stated in my previous comment...

I guess I will remember all of my FFXI "Firsts" most of all.

-First time I saw an NM (Leaping Lizzy my first day in the game, killing the entire south gustaberg zone circa. 2003)
-First time I summoned my Wyvern and spent a whole day just running around with him.
-First time running from Bastok to Valkurm Dunes
-First time running from the main cities to Jeuno with NO SNEAK OR INVIS (we used to be such badasses)
-First time seeing the tree of Windurst
-First time riding an airship (and the first time I managed to get onto the ledge of the ship)
-First time riding a chocobo
-First LS, every LS

There is so much to remember, so much to be nostalgic about..

TOO MANY FEELZ!
 Lakshmi.Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2015-03-20 11:46:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The first time I saw a 75 BST with a charmed tiger (or was it a jug) running through Western Ronfaure... I thought it was Conan the Barbarian. Lol.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-03-20 12:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Neboh said: »
I guess I just wish some aspects of the game didn't take as much time to complete. In the early days of the game, (CON) it would take months or several weeks to get to 75. (PRO) But that's how you made friends in the game and got to know people.

Fast forward to the latter days of the game, you can get from 30-99 in a day or two while afk...

I was actually thankful that things took a long time back in the days of 75 cap. The fun (for me at least) was in the journey.

Post-Abyssea when worm parties became the norm for getting to 99 rapidly, things just kind of went down hill.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2015-03-20 12:07:27
Link | Quote | Reply

im a little confused, I thought it was just ending for ps2 and 360?
[+]
 Bahamut.Redrooster
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Redrooster 2015-03-20 12:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

i saw nothing about the game ending
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
Server: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-03-20 12:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Redrooster said: »
i saw nothing about the game ending

The game is not physically ending, but after November of this year they are not adding any new content. November will be the last of 3 add-ons/mini-expansions that bring the Story of FFXI to a complete conclusion.

That is what they said at least.
[+]
By missdivine 2015-03-20 12:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Lynxblade said: »
im a little confused, I thought it was just ending for ps2 and 360?
They stated it clearly that they will stop any content after the 3 small add-ons that will be fully delivered @december so....

The end is foreseeable now, three small add ons, then you're done. No more content. No more reason to even do content.
By missdivine 2015-03-20 12:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess they will be focusing 100% on ffxiv since is clearly the new successful big mmo from SE. I bet they are making tons of money with just the vanity store alone. and servers are so populated. i barely can get online at nights.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2015-03-20 12:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI itself is not ending but a lot of people are saying good bye to the game and moving forward.
[+]
By maldini 2015-03-20 16:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I started playing at 23 years old back in 2002sh. My son has inherited my character. He's 8 years old and my character is 13.
There is some novelty in telling my son old stories of FFXI. Like when Linkshells used to showdown in the Aery for items he thinks are garbage. But that's FFXI for you, so old that a father can share war stories and talk about old friends and legendary players.
"When the cap was 75, son, I solo held Tiamat for 3 hours while your uncle called people half around the world to wake up and get online"

"See that Armada Hauberk? I could have sold the abjuration for it and paid for your future college tuition".
[+]
By Primal623 2015-03-20 16:26:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I always said to myself that I'd be around until the shut the servers down. So I guess this pretty much sums it up for me.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-03-20 16:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

This game changed my life, allowed me to meet someone from the game offline, experience fleeting love for a few months, and lose my virginity.

Tanaka gets my thanks for that one, and based on all the myriad of married couples over this game, I'm pretty confident I'm not the only person that got to forge unforgettable memories with another living being due to the whimsical world of Vana'diel.

I suppose another aspect it taught me was my own innate tenacity, since if a person can grind to cap in 2005 and tackle most of the major challenges without giving up on the game, they get to realize a good bit about their own person. This knowledge is what I use nowadays for tackling college projects, since even the worst group project doesn't compare to organizing and running a Valkrum Dunes party. Doing repeated content could be considered tedious, but it also helped me cope with some of the jobs I would do over the years.

So my deep feeling is that losing XI is going to be like losing a part of myself, like thinking back on the "good ole days" as they would call it.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-20 16:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Grats on the sex!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-20 17:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Grats on the sex!

***just go real SE helps you become a man/woman !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-20 17:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI taught me that wasting a day in virtual reality is quite easy. I neglected my family friends and school and work. Thanks SE !
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2015-03-20 17:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Grats on the sex!

Damn, I think I played on the wrong server all these years! ;_;
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-20 17:24:20
Link | Quote | Reply

If I would have know that FFXI leads to sex with strangers I would have never quit !
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-20 17:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Grats on the sex!

***just go real SE helps you become a man/woman !
I started discovering my body when Squall one day summoned Quetzy and my controller started vibrating furiously.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2015-03-20 17:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

First time I saw Shiva I developed a fetish for icy women !

My one terrible joke per page has been completed !
[+]
By Creativity 2015-03-20 19:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

My deep feeling huh. Well, I can't begin to explain the feeling this community brought me when I first started out. Picking THF and just venturing out hunting orcs with strangers was just so fun. Getting to La Theine Plateau thinking I can keep soloing only for someone to tell me I need to go to the dunes to then die. Trying to solo worms in K.Tunnel. Fishing randomly with other people. Q.Island hunting Gigas with a PL, AF hunting, the quest to Jeuno, Sneak and invis every dangerous spot you went, gathering for crafts, Sky, sea, Dyna, just the fact that the music really told the story and there was no need for voice acting, getting your choco license, sitting in jeuno LFP while socializing, finding RMT parties all with "akhfesh" as a name, the fun events SE would put in with fireworks, christmas and halloween themed hometowns, THE SANTA HAT! getting on an airship or the boat in Selbina just to get away for a bit with friends *Sigh* I'm tearing up. The road to 75 was really what made you love this game even though it took ages. I would not have it any other way.

By Ramasan 2015-03-20 20:44:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I was shocked to hear about this. I actually just started a break from the game due to lack of employment and have been looking forward to returning once I get some money. Feels kind of pointless to do so now... Anyways I started playing the April after the NA release. I remember being so confused on the combat controls and running circles around the mandys in Saruta in an attempt to dodge their attacks. I soon met a lot of great folks who helped me learn how to play and most importantly how to use the AH (instead of hours farming gil to buy crap off of NPCs). Thank you to all my friends who still play and to those that have moved on. Thank you SE for providing me hours of entertainment, loads of comradery, and the occasional desire to hurl my controller through my TV.
By Voren 2015-03-20 22:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I started in 2010 and as such missed the 75 cap excitement. I rushed myself to get into Abyssea and regretted it instantly.

I have more of a regret than I do a fond memory. I regret rushing my character to 90 cap to get into abyssea.

If I had it to do over again I'd stop leveling at 75 just to do missions and complete quests. I'd try to get a band together to do dynamis, salvage, einherjar, limbus, and campaign.

Those that played at 75 cap may not look upon it fondly, but some of the stories I heard got me wishing I had started playing sooner.

Special thanks to Jadeoblue (my wife), Yamisam, Nesteron (formerly Kronik from seraph), Napir, and Shalinala for hours of entertainment on FFXI. I'm lucky to know you guys and look forward to continuing our fun and shiggles on FFXIV!
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-03-20 23:06:51
Link | Quote | Reply

SE is forbidden from ending updates until there is an Ultima spell. I want my Ultima spell dammit!
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-03-20 23:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Chilzen said: »
This game changed my life, allowed me to meet someone from the game offline, experience fleeting love for a few months, and lose my virginity.
If I had known sooner that it was possible to do that, I'd have saved 5 years of playtime.
 Cerberus.Nekdal
user: Nekdal
By Cerberus.Nekdal 2015-03-21 01:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Elite ppl helping noobies get here AF quests done or quests or subjobs!. But just after 10yrs playing i now have a relic (apoc)95 but grtting marrows is a pain or the help which doesnt seem like noone cares for helping others nomore but seems like my end is near so wont see ilvl 119 apoc nor my wife seeing her first relic.
By Trapjaw 2015-03-21 01:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I started Jan19/2004. Funny how I know the exact date. My main was on the now defunct Unicorn Server. Dynamis and the Fenrir Avatar were added shortly after.

Sooo many memories and people I have met. I've tried quitting many times but always came back. Even now I feel like coming back but of course the game is way different than it used to be. If the first Rhapsody add-on looks good though I'm sure I'll join in to partake in the true finale of FFXI.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-03-21 01:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn was a blast, or rather, people on Unicorn got blasted.
 Valefor.Redenius
user: Redenius
By Valefor.Redenius 2015-03-21 02:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I will continue what I'm doing working on my ninja mythic weapon Nagi!! After that I will gear my ninja up as much as possible and grinding some HQ avatar rings to help fund my mythic. As far as it goes for me I will just keep at it until the servers shut down.