Double/tripple/quad exp/cp potions 2/3/4$ each, 1 hr charge
Unlock reforging without doing CoP missions - 5$
100 beitsu/plutons/boulders
100 relic currency
Devious die
Liminal residue
linen pouches
box of HP bayld

Add in an item = 1 month subscription, make it trade able, and let people buy gil legally in game like in other mmo. 15$ for 'chunk of crystal', trade able, on consume adds 30 days play time.

Thats not even mentioning other silly things they could add like trusts, unique mounts, unique lockstyle armor sets etc.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-03-17 08:09:22
Link | Quote | Reply

if you figure only 3000 active accounts per server, they're making $624k a month on subs

it's not going f2p or shutting down, it's probably just merges and the plan for this year
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-17 08:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

F2P would be the only thing they could do that would make me quit.
[+]
 Valefor.Seranos
Server: Valefor
user: Seranos
By Valefor.Seranos 2015-03-17 08:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sisko said: »
My guess:
Incoming updated brady guide

Winner.

Edit: I had the guide. Might actually be able to find it somewhere. I remember them preaching on making up for weaknesses, like going WAR/WHM so you can cure yourself.
[+]
By dustinfoley 2015-03-17 08:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not F2P? I wouldn't say they wont, because it is definitely possible. Larger, more successful games have gone f2p.

Just make it so f2p people cant list on AH/Bazar, only premium members can (aka people who buy the 30 day subscription).

Throw in things like
limit breaks cost 5$ each while f2p
5$ to unlock wardrobe

I can easily see them nickle and dimeing free to play people, and having a decent cash shop.

The bigger question would be if the in game ui/engine can even handle it.
 Bahamut.Shirai
Server: Bahamut
user: Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2015-03-17 08:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

dustinfoley said: »
Why not F2P? I wouldn't say they wont, because it is definitely possible. Larger, more successful games have gone f2p.
Please, name a few. Really, from the top of my head I can't find any game that has run half as long as this game has which deserves the title "More succesful" and has gone free to play.
[+]
 Asura.Loire
Server: Asura
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2015-03-17 08:38:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Shirai said: »
Please, name a few. Really, from the top of my head I can't find any game that has run half as long as this game that deserves the title "More succesful" that has gone free to play.
Eve and upcoming with WoW let you purchase game time with in-game currency. Could easily see the same for XI
[+]
 Leviathan.Syagin
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2015-03-17 08:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Just make it so f2p people cant list on AH/Bazar, only premium members can (aka people who buy the 30 day subscription).

Throw in things like
limit breaks cost 5$ each while f2p
5$ to unlock wardrobe

I can easily see them nickle and dimeing free to play people, and having a decent cash shop.

The bigger question would be if the in game ui/engine can even handle it.

Like what?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-17 08:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't make sense to go f2p.
By dustinfoley 2015-03-17 08:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Please, name a few. Really, from the top of my head I can't find any game that has run half as long as this game has which deserves the title "More succesful" and has gone free to play.

Eve
Everquest/EQ2
Guildwars 2
DDO
Rift
Terra

It all depends on your definition of more successful honestly, if you go by number of actually active characters vs active subscriptions.

Everquest has been around longer, and has been f2p for a while. The rest all have about the same if not more population as ffxi.

As far as making sense, if they are pulling all developers from ffxi aside from bug fixers, then it might make sense. I just think you people have a false sense of how successful ffxi currently is to automatically assume it wont F2P.

Lots of mmo had 10-20x the active number of people when they switched to f2p.
 Bahamut.Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2015-03-17 08:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been looking up on the EVE thing, funny concept but the effort needed to finally generate enough to pay for your in-game time deters me from it completely.

Farming in game currency so you can pay for time to farm more in game currency to pay for... never mind, I think you get the point.

Going into your list:
Eve
Everquest/EQ2
Guildwars 2
DDO
Rift
Terra

Eve: Named above and isn't completely free to play as in game currency is needed to "buy" game time and subscription is optional.
EQ: Subscription is still optional.
Guildwars: Was never pay to play to begin with.
DDO/Rift/Terra: I wouldn't call these even remotely succesful.
They've had succesful starts, maybe, but populations dropped faster than terminal velocity when people found it they were playing WoW clone #1513857
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-03-17 08:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder said: »
JPs are thinking PS2 termination and server merging.
I approved a screenshot the other day, supposedly of a GM mentioning a server merge. How real it is or how a GM would know, I couldn't say. PS2 should've been terminated globally years ago, 360 is old, might as well terminate it too.

I doubt I'll ever play XI again, but I'd definitely like to see what they do and where they go with it if the drop PS2 support. PS2 has held XI back for years, even when PS2 was somewhat current but if memory serves, the 360 version was a PS2 -> 360 port, so it could be assumed there will be similar limitations.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-17 08:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been looking up on the EVE thing, funny concept but the effort needed to finally generate enough to pay for your in-game time deters me from it completely.

Farming in game currency so you can pay for time to farm more in game currency to pay for... never mind, I think you get the point.
Hence the episode of South Park.
By fonewear 2015-03-17 08:54:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Future of FFXI. Thanks for playing guys see you next year !
By palladin9479 2015-03-17 08:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

DDO once Turbine took over it and later LOTR. Turbine though is unique amongst the F2P providers in that they offer a hybrid system where a monthly subscription is an option. In DDO monthly offers all content and expansions free immediately upon completion while everyone else needs to either purchase it outright or earn it via points from in game content.
By fonewear 2015-03-17 08:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope it's free to play cause the drama that will ensue will be epic !

You thought the relic rage quit was fun. This will be even better.

*crosses fingers for epic failure*
[+]
By Jadey 2015-03-17 08:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

A switch to F2P (mostly full-featured with cash shops for boosts/cosmetics/etc) with the paid accounts getting even bigger perks would be a shot in the arm for FFXI. Couple it with termination of PS2/360 support and I could see the old girl hang on for another decade or more. I don't see any reason to fear F2P if that's the direction SE wants to take the game to help it survive.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-17 08:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't understand people fear change !
[+]
 Lakshmi.Lenus
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-03-17 09:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI F2P with 200 dollars starter kits. Another 200 dollars also for early access to iLevel 150 armors!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-17 09:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

If they do a hybrid model where you get all the perks for a subscription fee, I would stay to see how it goes.
By fonewear 2015-03-17 09:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
If they do a hybrid model where you get all the perks for a subscription fee, I would stay to see how it goes.

Incoming tons of vanity items for a low low price of 5 dollars each !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-17 09:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait a second this is happening on March 19 wtf am I doing here now !
 Bahamut.Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2015-03-17 09:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Wait a second this is happening on March 19 wtf am I doing here now !

Because you're addicted to posting?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-17 09:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to forum rehab I tells ya !
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-17 09:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

If they're gonna go FTP, why not just cut to the chase and just give our money to SE and have them send us Flintstone's chewable morphine.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-17 09:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I'm going to forum rehab I tells ya !
There's an app for that.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-17 09:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

By fonewear 2015-03-17 09:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Look at how happy she is to get those muffins !
 Quetzalcoatl.Orestes
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Orestes78
By Quetzalcoatl.Orestes 2015-03-17 09:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Crystus said: »
14 Day free trial is down and at current in UK we are unable to buy Seekers of Adoulin ultimate expansion from SE website... not sure if that's related....

It looks like you can just download the seekers edition from SE's website. http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/install_win.html

Maybe that's something new? It could've been there a year and I probably wouldn't have noticed, so not really sure.
First Page 2 3 ... 29 30 31