FFXIAH.com Super Smash Bros. 3DS Tournament
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-29 14:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Preliminary Page: Will bring rules at a later date.

This thread is to start creating awareness of a possible 3DS tournament for everyone here and to gauge interest.

Will more likely be a preliminary round based on the number of participants where everyone fights each other once, and the number of wins determines ranking and placement on the actual bracket, where it will be a single fight against 2 opponents.

Ideas on if preliminaries would be 2 vs. or 4 vs. and points awarded depended on place of winners.

Also would need to know if items would be allowed or not. Smash Balls also.

Need ideas so I can setup the rules.

Edit: Would like a mod to sticky this please.

Edit 10/6/14: Rules are as follows (preliminary)
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-29 14:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Tournament Schedule!

Few items to discuss.

Everyone gets a chance to fight everyone in all 3 tournies. Please report/discuss which tournies you fought in and what the results were.

As a reminder, Rounds are fought Best out of 3 with 3 stock each fight. You can schedule to do all 3 Tournaments with the same person in 1 night if you would like.

Please note that do not use equipment in any of the matches!

Since nobody has discussed or even commented on custom moves, I will make the decision that custom moves are allowed. That doesn't mean that you have to use them though, if you don't want.

However, just because custom moves are allowed doesn't mean you can make different sets and use different moves per round. Once you select a set of custom moves, you are stuck with them for the remainder of the round.

Normal battlefields for the Item tournament, Omega battlefields for the No Item and Mii only tournaments.

Because certain battlefields favor others strongly, it has been agreed to use the following stages on the item tournament only:

Quote:
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Tomodachi Life
Arena Ferox
Brinstar
Reset Bomb Forest
Toritemer Island
Prism Island

Since Omega battlefields are all practically the same, you can use any of them for the No item and Mii only tournaments. I strongly suggest using the random generator in game for those tournaments. However, Battlefield will be the finals playfield for the items, and Final Destination (because that stage looks the best for a finals fight) for the No items/Mii only tournies.

For the items/no items fights, there are no banned characters, so feel free to fight whoever you want to fight with.

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Additionally, a procedure for stage selection still needs to be set.
Well, I guess the fighters can decide by selecting the battlefields they want to fight in, ranked by choice. The first set that matches both competitors choices would be used, then the second set for the second round, and third set if needed.

Last, but not least. Have fun, and be
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-29 14:38:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Reserved for Bracket Schedule.

By the looks of it, the brackets will be as follows:

3rd -----|
|--------|
6th -----| |
|---------|
| |
2nd --------------| |
|
|------Victor
4th -----| |
|--------| |
5th -----| | |
|---------|
|
1st --------------|

It looks nice if you quote it, I'm too tired to fix it tonight!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-29 14:39:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Reserved for player reservations and voting for various issues.

Kingnobody 1349-5256-5780: 2 vs., 2 different tournies, 1 with items, 1 without.
Tigerwoods FC: 2638-1996-8602: 2 vs., 2 different tournies, 1 with items, 1 without.
Ohji 2019-9667-3512: 2 vs., Mii/item/no-item tournies.
Flametaru 5413-0472-2547: 4 vs., Mii tourny. item/no items ok.
Nightfyre 1349-7020-9122: 2 vs., no items, custom moves, no equipment. Possible 2nd tourny with items or 4 vs.
Gades: 4 vs. to 2 vs., no items.
Leires
Xenhas 0001 3405 0000
fractalvoid 4597-0388-1356
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-09-29 15:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd go into 2 tournies being ran at the same time if ppl wanted to do one with items and such, but other than that, I'd prefer some 1 v 1 no items action.

That said, I'll join regardless. I just want to play
MSPaint Winner
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
By Ohji Lunartail 2014-09-29 16:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd love to do some 1v1 or teams if they have items and no items, dosnt matter, and a possible Mii only one ? can't wait till Friday
MSPaint Winner
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
By Ohji Lunartail 2014-09-29 16:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Also ael~cat is on if ya need it stickied
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-09-29 16:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

K
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-29 16:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Appreciate it!

Now we need more people to join up! Think of this as intense training for the WiiU version!
By tarupowa 2014-09-29 16:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Count me in! i'm interested in 4 man tournies. i think the dude up further in the post has a good idea about an all mii tourny, that'd be cool. i would also be interested in a team tournament(if they bring that feature back). i prefer items but i'd be cool without em.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2014-09-29 20:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Huh, I happen to check xiah out of curiosity/nostalgia and here you guys are hosting a Smash tourney. Why not, I'm down.

1v1, no items, custom moves allowed, equipment disabled gets my vote. Wouldn't mind entering a second tourney for either doubles (2v2) or with items on. How many matches are you planning between each opponent? 1, Bo3, Bo5? Single/double elimination? How many stocks? If we're voting on that too then I'll say Bo3 (in bracket at least), double elimination bracket, and either 2 or 3 stocks (preferably 3).

Also might be worth considering Swiss system over round robin for any prelims if you get a lot of interest, as it's much faster.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-09-29 20:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

call me for wiiu version
[+]
 Sylph.Gades
By Sylph.Gades 2014-09-30 02:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

With the release coming out I would say do a tournament of 4 v 4 down til 2 v 2.

As far as Items go, I honestly say disable them. I've done both with the demo and I can say it seems more fun/harder to fight without them.

But hey Its open to all so I am merely suggesting :)
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-30 06:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Huh, I happen to check xiah out of curiosity/nostalgia and here you guys are hosting a Smash tourney. Why not, I'm down.

1v1, no items, custom moves allowed, equipment disabled gets my vote. Wouldn't mind entering a second tourney for either doubles (2v2) or with items on. How many matches are you planning between each opponent? 1, Bo3, Bo5? Single/double elimination? How many stocks? If we're voting on that too then I'll say Bo3 (in bracket at least), double elimination bracket, and either 2 or 3 stocks (preferably 3).

Also might be worth considering Swiss system over round robin for any prelims if you get a lot of interest, as it's much faster.
I was thinking of doing it with stock matches, with 5 stock. Points awarded depending on the number of stock you had left at the end possibly (on 2 vs. only) or the rank you are at the end (on 4 vs. only).

At the very least I was thinking about getting at least 10 matches per player done before we move to the brackets, that would give us a good idea of placement before the actual elimination brackets.

Currently, that means fighting each person twice on a 2 vs. tourny.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-30 11:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump for more people to sign up.

Also, for the Wii U version of the tournament, those who participate in this tournament would have double pull on the Wii U tourny rules.

So, sign up and participate!
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-09-30 11:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm down for Wii U, not sure yet about 3DS, haven't decided.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-09-30 11:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Count me in for Wii U as well
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-09-30 11:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

im almost sure i will pass on 3ds version.
controls are gawd awful , and the 3ds button layout is just not made for a fighter game. not to mention the screen size for it.

I grew up playing fighters on an arcade. just feels wrong.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-09-30 11:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The controls aren't that bad. They're not a GC controller, but you get used to them. I was able to start maneuvering pretty well after 4-5 matches.

also, if you want the advantage, do this
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2014-09-30 15:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

^Somebody actually figured out a cleaner way to do that, said it ran him about $12 in components. Think he got a pseudo-functional c-stick out of it too, and his setup works with any 3DS game. Interesting idea at the very least.

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I was thinking of doing it with stock matches, with 5 stock. Points awarded depending on the number of stock you had left at the end possibly (on 2 vs. only) or the rank you are at the end (on 4 vs. only).

At the very least I was thinking about getting at least 10 matches per player done before we move to the brackets, that would give us a good idea of placement before the actual elimination brackets.

Currently, that means fighting each person twice on a 2 vs. tourny.
Points are unnecessarily complicated for 1v1, especially if you're looking to do that many matches for seeding. 5 stocks will result in some fairly long matches, perhaps 10 minutes at times. Hence my suggestion of a Bo3 set with either 2 or 3 stocks. Similar length (slightly longer if 3 stocks, roughly equal or potentially shorter with 2 stocks depending on if you go to game 3), but broken up into multiple games.

Swiss is pretty efficient for seeding since you have people with the same W/L records play each other over the course of several preliminary rounds. Any ties at the end can be broken based on W/L records of those they defeated. Granted, with 6 people you might as well just do 5 RR matches anyway. Swiss is geared more towards larger pools (16+).
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-30 16:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Points are unnecessarily complicated for 1v1, especially if you're looking to do that many matches for seeding. 5 stocks will result in some fairly long matches, perhaps 10 minutes at times. Hence my suggestion of a Bo3 set with either 2 or 3 stocks. Similar length (slightly longer if 3 stocks, roughly equal or potentially shorter with 2 stocks depending on if you go to game 3), but broken up into multiple games.

Swiss is pretty efficient for seeding since you have people with the same W/L records play each other over the course of several preliminary rounds. Any ties at the end can be broken based on W/L records of those they defeated. Granted, with 6 people you might as well just do 5 RR matches anyway. Swiss is geared more towards larger pools (16+).
True, I'm still deciding on the end rules, unless people want to vote on the Bo3/Bo5 matches. Bo3 would be Stock 3 and Bo5 would be Stock 2 obviously.
By tarupowa 2014-09-30 16:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I like stock simply because then it isnt a "who can kill someone in x amount of times" or if its 1 life "who makes a mistake and falls off the edge"
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-09-30 17:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Did they bring back Bonus Mode? I personally thought that was the best since it ranked you for your fighting style (heavily influenced by damage and KOs, of course), so someone who stays back and shoots lasers or something could never win. Anyway, I think Stock is best for 1 on 1, Time for 2 vs 2 teams, and either for a 4 person free-for-all.

Also, maybe this is a dumb question, what do Bo3/Bo5 mean?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-30 17:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Also, maybe this is a dumb question, what do Bo3/Bo5 mean?
Best of 3/Best of 5
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-01 12:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Need more people to sign up!
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-10-01 23:45:01
Link | Quote | Reply

GET HYPE

bump
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-10-01 23:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Can a mod post this thread on the facebook page? Can maybe gain some interest that way
 Odin.Minefield
Server: Odin
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2014-10-01 23:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Troy-san, you're up!
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2014-10-02 05:46:57
Link | Quote | Reply

1v1, 3 stock, no items, custom specials, no equipment, no Mii Fighter (Paluntena debatable). I'd also go with round robin, but with a second round after the first one.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-02 07:01:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Updated roster.

Plus, I wouldn't mind it being facebook either.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7