Windows 9's Big Surprise
First Page 2
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-04 09:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Microsoft has had a habit of making every other operating system terrible. In anticipation of Windows 9 being the next successful operating system, Microsoft may be planning a huge surprise.

Quote:
Windows is one of Microsoft’s main money makers, and the company is interested in seeing as many current Windows users move to its latest operating system as possible. However, no matter what the company does, there still are plenty of users who are on older Windows versions, including Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. ZDNet has learned that Microsoft may be working on a huge Windows 9 surprise to convince reluctant users to finally move to the latest Windows operating system available.

The company is reportedly considering offering some sort of Windows 9 upgrade deal to XP, Vista and Windows 7 users, with a completely free upgrade option also on the table. This isn’t the first time free Windows 9 upgrade rumors have hit the web, but previous reports suggested that Windows Threshold (Windows 9’s internal codename) might launch as a free download to Windows 8.1 Update, and Windows 7 Service Pack 1 owners.

Nothing has been confirmed about Windows 9 yet, but ZDNet says that all the major features Microsoft is working on will be packed in Threshold rather than a following Windows 8.1 Update.

Windows 8.1 Update 2 is still due on August 12th, this month’s Patch Tuesday, although the update is not mandatory, and it’s not expected to bring any major changes. The Start menu button, which was supposed to arrive with Update 2, will be included in Windows 9 alongside any other major features Microsoft may have readied for a Windows 8.1 update.

Other Windows 8.1 updates might be released later this year as well, although they’re also going to be minor compared with the massive changes coming with Windows 9.
Source

As originally reported by BGR:
Quote:

Microsoft will release a second major Windows 8.1 update this year – Windows 8.1 Update 2 – which will be available free of charge to Windows 8.1 Update 1 users, hacker group WZOR has revealed. The group also says that Microsoft will sell Windows 8.1 Update 2 for an affordable price to Windows users who are running earlier Windows versions on their machines and want to upgrade to the latest OS version.

WZOR also revealed that Windows 9 might be released as a free update for Windows users who have Windows 8.1 Update 2 installed, or at a substantial discount. Apparently a decision on the matter has not been made yet. Previous reports from the same source have also indicated that Microsoft’s upcoming major Windows release may be available as a free download.

Finally, WZOR has apparently revealed that Windows 9 Enterprise may have the ability to disable Metro 2.0. The company is expected to have a “significant” internal event from June 23rd through June 27th, at which point Windows 8.1 Update 2 might receive an RTM Escrow status.

The hacker group said that Microsoft has tightened its Windows security, making leaks nearly impossible – apparently, employees that want to use the latest builds will get personal Windows copies that will make it easy for the company to track down leakers.

The new security polices around unreleased versions of Windows are apparently targeting Microsoft’s China offices in particular, with the country being a major source of Windows-related leaks in the past.

On a different note, China is apparently a big reason Microsoft is worried when it comes to the Windows 9 launch, following the country’s recent ban on Windows 8 for government computers.
Windows 9 might come as a free download, but only to certain users
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-04 09:19:12
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as it isn't like Windows 8, and is actually user friendly, that's all that matters to me.
[+]
By Ravenn42 2014-08-04 09:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Umm yippee?
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2014-08-04 09:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I only change OS when I`m forced into a change. My old desktop PC was on XP and when the motherboard finally gave out I brought a laptop that came with windows 7. Recently brought a new laptop that has 8.1 on it.

As long as the OS does what I want it to do I see no reason to upgrade to a new version just because its new.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-08-04 09:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

People still use Vista instead of 7???
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-08-04 09:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

So long as Windower will work on it easily.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-04 09:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
I've seen it. It's like a scene out of a horror movie.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-08-04 09:34:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
I've seen it. It's like a scene out of a horror movie.
My mum refuses to switch to Windows 7 from Vista, no matter how much I tell her Vista is ***and that she can upgrade straight to 7 and keep all her files she doesn't budge.
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-08-04 10:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

there is nothing wrong with 8, hell infact it's a rock solid OS and has great performance. It's just the user GUI that throws people, but under the hood Windows 8 is a amazing OS.

Windows Vista on the other hand... people seriously still use that? my god.

The main problem with Vista is that it's pretty horrendously optimized, so if you have a decent/high end system you won't notice much of a difference but run it on a cheap laptop or something? and may god have mercy on your soul.
[+]
 Shiva.Eboneezer
user: Eboneezer
By Shiva.Eboneezer 2014-08-04 10:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I was hoping the big surprise was that the Xbox controller actually worked properly.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-04 10:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Gib said: »
there is nothing wrong with 8, hell infact it's a rock solid OS and has great performance. It's just the user GUI that throws people, but under the hood Windows 8 is a amazing OS.
That's the real issue though.

My parents have a Windows 8 laptop, I tried using it for simple things, like using Word and Excel, and my god it was hard just to get to the programs.

I like the whole "pin" concept on the bottom bar on Windows 7, but when you have to scroll through pages just to find a program to use, that's just silly.

At least with the old GUIs, you could save shortcuts to things and use the start menu to find what you don't want to shortcut.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-04 10:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Rather use XP >_>
[+]
 Shiva.Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-08-04 10:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Eboneezer said: »
I was hoping the big surprise was that the Xbox controller actually worked properly.
I can only assume you're talking about FFXI controller support?

need to blame SE for that one, I would imagine it would hardly take them any time at all to program Direct Input support, but if they ever did, the 360/One controllers would work perfectly :\
 Shiva.Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-08-04 10:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

My parents have a Windows 8 laptop, I tried using it for simple things, like using Word and Excel, and my god it was hard just to get to the programs.

I like the whole "pin" concept on the bottom bar on Windows 7, but when you have to scroll through pages just to find a program to use, that's just silly.

At least with the old GUIs, you could save shortcuts to things and use the start menu to find what you don't want to shortcut.
you know you still can do that with Windows 8, you can Pin it to the Start Menu, the Task bar or the desktop.

Also another super helpful thing, don't know where a program or file is? just press the Windows key and on the start menu just start typing what you're looking for.

the Windows search function is pretty friggin' awesome
[+]
By gdiShun 2014-08-04 10:32:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I just remember having to Google how to shut down Windows 8... The next day I downloaded Start8 and never looked back. lol.
By volkom 2014-08-04 10:34:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Windows Vista on the other hand... people seriously still use that? my god.

The main problem with Vista is that it's pretty horrendously optimized, so if you have a decent/high end system you won't notice much of a difference but run it on a cheap laptop or something? and may god have mercy on your soul.

From just a home user standpoint this is true. however it sucks from a security standpoint, mainly how you do the registration/activation
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-04 10:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

you know you still can do that with Windows 8, you can Pin it to the Start Menu, the Task bar or the desktop.

Also another super helpful thing, don't know where a program or file is? just press the Windows key and on the start menu just start typing what you're looking for.

the Windows search function is pretty friggin' awesome
Yeah, I only played with it for about 3-4 hours, and it still gave me a friggin headache though.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-08-04 10:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't care for the Pin thing. I'm a fan of the quicklaunch and I always go retro style

http://images.bluegartr.com/bucket/gallery/c53e5c80a6f2234ea537e8f2e771bc3d.jpg

I'm on win 7 tho
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2014-08-04 10:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I`d still be on win7 if my other laptop didn't die on me. 8 isn't all that bad, took a bit of getting used to but so far no issues.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-08-04 10:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Windows 8 UI is bad, mainly to do with it being designed as a smart phone/touch screen platform. It only takes about a week to learn and it turns out its pretty easy to find anything in the metro/start page by simply typing the program or folder name.

I loved Windows 7 but once I figured out the nuances of 8 its speed stands out. It is significantly faster than Windows 7.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-08-04 11:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Windows 9 might come as a free download, but only to certain users
Vista was a train wreck, 7 was a marginally better train wreck, and 8 was a multi-train pile-up. It'll take a lot more than a free upgrade to entice people to take the plunge to 9.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-08-04 11:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Windows XP here, rock solid and FFXI works better in it than in any of the new OSes. If in a remote possibility they update their toolchain and devkit for something newer and it breaks Windows XP compatibility, only then I'll consider OS upgrading.

Microsoft slowly undermine and poison older OSes through updates on the toolchain and libraries(visual studio, .net and similar 'crapolla'), making code run deliberately unoptimized on older OS platforms to give users a impression their computer is slow and old.
Which more than often is not the case. So a OS update remove the "restrictions" and users get a fake performance boost which make them think they made a "good business decision" at upgrading the OS.

It's part of the business strategy... Microsoft engineers need to eat, I suppose.
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-08-04 11:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I have an older machine and have a legit copy of Vista but no copy (legit or otherwise) of Win7, so I have not upgraded. The difference between the two is nominal, anyhow. 7 was just Vista SP2 with a new name because Vista-launch was such a train wreck.

Anyhow, I think MS fails to understand that a lot of people don't upgrade because they're using older hardware. They can give me as many free copies of Win9 as they want, it won't stop my hardware being too obsolete to run it effectively.

Additionally, with Vista/7/8 being such resource ***, I still contemplate downgrading back to XP from time to time. I want to echo that same complaint with regards to every internet browser on the market, too. Not a single one of them seems to comprehend the idea that they do not need half a gig of my RAM to browse *** HTML (which isn't even getting into all the needless dynamic scripting that I wish Google and a few other sites would stop hammering into every page).
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-08-04 11:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I only played with it for about 3-4 hours, and it still gave me a friggin headache though.
Everything is like that, though, especially when you're used to another setup. Every few years I have to format and build from scratch and getting everything back the way I need it is a headache. I recently started playing WoW again after a several year hiatus and the massive changes in GUI and gameplay took me the better part of a week to fully parse out. I'm still finding neat tricks with my iPod Shuffle that leave me muttering, "Why wasn't this mentioned in the manual?" Yes, I read manuals.

But that still didn't make it a good idea for Win8 to be launched in "idiot-proof" mode only. The eventual addition of an interface for people who know what a computer does should have been there from the get-go.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-08-04 12:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-04 12:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
I have an older machine and have a legit copy of Vista but no copy (legit or otherwise) of Win7, so I have not upgraded. The difference between the two is nominal, anyhow. 7 was just Vista SP2 with a new name because Vista-launch was such a train wreck.

Anyhow, I think MS fails to understand that a lot of people don't upgrade because they're using older hardware. They can give me as many free copies of Win9 as they want, it won't stop my hardware being too obsolete to run it effectively.

Additionally, with Vista/7/8 being such resource ***, I still contemplate downgrading back to XP from time to time. I want to echo that same complaint with regards to every internet browser on the market, too. Not a single one of them seems to comprehend the idea that they do not need half a gig of my RAM to browse *** HTML (which isn't even getting into all the needless dynamic scripting that I wish Google and a few other sites would stop hammering into every page).
shiiit I wish 500k, I'm running 700k right now and that's low, and not even including the plugins.

If you need a copy of 7, I have a link somewhere.

On another note: 8 still sucks, and is a bad joke, not quite as bad of a joke as Vista and ME, but still a pretty bad *** joke.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-08-04 17:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

8 isn't hard to deal with.

Get that start button, never use the metro interface.
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2014-08-04 17:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried using it for simple things, like using Word and Excel, and my god it was hard just to get to the programs.

hit windows key
type excel
hit enter

***. done.
rocket science
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-08-04 17:58:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I like win 8, fast and nice, interface is decent since metro is customizable and all, drag, drop, form groups, resize buttons really big, or really tiny, etc.
First Page 2