Long Time No See, Thinking Of Returning?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Long time no see, thinking of returning?
Long time no see, thinking of returning?
First Page 2
 Quetzalcoatl.Dijana
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Dijana
By Quetzalcoatl.Dijana 2014-07-13 16:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey folks! Its been a long time since I played last (about 3 years maybe? Whenever adoulin was announced). I didnt necessarily quit, I just wasn't playing much at the time, and for some reason SE started cancelling my auto payments for my sub, so each month I had to pay a reactivation fee til I got sick of it and didnt resub until I wanted to play...which never happened.

Since then I've been playing FFXIV which I love, but sometimes I feel really nostalgic for XI. I'd like to know a few things for current players.

1. Is there a digital download for this game? I'm on my work PC and a lot of sites are blocked so Im having issues trying to find out, I've long since lost all my old game discs.

2. How easy is catchup these days? I was used to soloing back in the day, but when my husband and I talk about coming back, we've thought about just starting fresh on a new server, being that most of our friends had left the game by now and probably dont remember how to play at all if we go back to 99 everything, of course leaving behind what we had can be difficult. (if it's fine then any suggestions on potential servers to move to? I was never that fond of Quetz) This ties into

3. Is abyssea leeching still the way everyone levels? It was nice to catch up subs that way but I really hated the leech parties

4. How was adoulin :) I meant to come back when it came out but by then I was caught up in other MMOs.

And finally

5. Is there a decent amount of stuff to do at endgame now? When I last played, everyone was more or less done with abyssea, there was a new 18 man event I forget the name of that was just released that most people couldnt get into, and about all we had to do was voidwatch (or whatever it was called, I forget the names of these things) or farming dynamis for currency which was beginning to tank in price finally

Edit: A 6th question, how are RUN and GEO? I was really interested in them when they were announced but I heard at the time of their release they either didnt work well or didnt have any decent gear. Is that still an issue or are they useful/fun now?
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2014-07-13 17:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

My perspective is probably from someone who really enjoyed this game when he was younger, but as he gets older finds things more and more monotonous. If thats you? this will probably resonate with you... if not than it won't lol.

Quetzalcoatl.Dijana said: »
1. Is there a digital download for this game? I'm on my work PC and a lot of sites are blocked so Im having issues trying to find out, I've long since lost all my old game discs.

Steam sells it, but you'd have to buy it again... I don't think theres any direct "free" Download.

Quote:
2. How easy is catchup these days? I was used to soloing back in the day, but when my husband and I talk about coming back, we've thought about just starting fresh on a new server, being that most of our friends had left the game by now and probably dont remember how to play at all if we go back to 99 everything, of course leaving behind what we had can be difficult. (if it's fine then any suggestions on potential servers to move to? I was never that fond of Quetz) This ties into

Easier... than say... 2005... not easy enough to solo however. Best you're going to solo is 117 gear (Eminent stuff). But once you get that its a bit easier to move into getting 119 stuff.

Quote:
3. Is abyssea leeching still the way everyone levels? It was nice to catch up subs that way but I really hated the leech parties

Its the only good way from 30-99, though 30-99 outside Abyssea is a bit easier thanks to Trusts .

Quote:
4. How was adoulin :) I meant to come back when it came out but by then I was caught up in other MMOs.

It's okay. I mean it added a good bit to the game, but maybe its my age, but I'm growing a little bored of everything worth-while being instanced only... I don't miss competing for mobs though... so its a conundrum for me :I.

Quote:
5. Is there a decent amount of stuff to do at endgame now? When I last played, everyone was more or less done with abyssea, there was a new 18 man event I forget the name of that was just released that most people couldnt get into, and about all we had to do was voidwatch (or whatever it was called, I forget the names of these things) or farming dynamis for currency which was beginning to tank in price finally

Theres pretty much 2 types of content now. Delve and High-Level battlefields. I mean theres many different events inside them (6 different Delve, and quite a few different HL-Battlefields), but thats it really.
(Edit: Wildskeeper Reives people do, theres a handful of gear from that that has uses)

You either do Delve, or you do any of the merit BP fights... thats the entirety of endgame unless you're farming for a Mythic or Relic :3

Anyway, at the end of the day I personally find myself in a state of subbing for one month, playing about 2-3 weeks of it, then quitting for a few months. Not that its bad, but I guess I'm just burning out on MMO's personally.
By Ravenn42 2014-07-13 17:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

More to do on your own than at 75.. even though people complain of abyssea and adoulin without I would have quit. End game at 75 was not fun. Camping hours for hnm just to get botted. Or doing dynamism just so the ls leaders can get relics. ...

now I play off and on when I can and the game is fun for me. You can get gear faster and it might mean less 2 you but it's still fun. You can do a lot of different stuff, I like doing old content and seeing the high WS.

I look at it like movie remakes... robocop was a classic but if you watch the reboot 1st than the old one kind of sux.

so let go of the past and hopefully you can find fun in the new ffxi
 Quetzalcoatl.Dijana
By Quetzalcoatl.Dijana 2014-07-13 17:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I never was a hardcore player or anything like that. I dont miss how long everything used to take and how it required big LSes (so abyssea was good for that) but I get pretty bored with games that basically hand everything to you these days.

I enjoyed levelling and gearing up, and I missed out on a lot of content when I last played (my husband dualboxed me through half the CoP fights because I had to work during when our static went a lot of the time, so the whole story was broken up and confusing for me) and I wouldnt mind redoing it. Most of what I did and would do again would be solo or duo unless I could find a good group of people to play with.

Are old events still worthwhile for at least some gear you'd want in different sets? Or has new gear rendered it all obsolete.

As I said I mainly quit because of the reactivation fee each month, it wasnt that I found anything wrong with the game's direction really.
By Ravenn42 2014-07-13 17:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Old gear has uses ...game has always been situational. Af and relic you can upgrade and I've heard salvage and empy gear will get upgrades if that happens.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dijana
By Quetzalcoatl.Dijana 2014-07-13 17:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Like you Ravenn I didn't like camping hours for NMs :p I also look at things like movie remakes (probably why Im always going back to play old games). I dont have a problem with events being made easier, so long as it gives me something to do and work towards.

At the moment in FFXIV it's basically just atma farming once I finish all the patch storylines within 1-2 weeks tops, and the RNG gods in that game are very unkind to me ):

I will also add I just really miss a lot of the little features. Chocobo raising, the story, exploration, that sort of thing.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2014-07-13 17:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ravenn42 said: »
Old gear has uses ...game has always been situational. Af and relic you can upgrade and I've heard salvage and empy gear will get upgrades if that happens.

I can't think of very many pieces of old gear that aren't completely replaced... seriously not calling you out, but can you name a few? Or are we talking "Salvage II" old, and not "Salvage/Abyssea" old? Cause i think Skadi+1 body still has a place in THF's set if you're fighting fodder.

Edit: Now that I think hard, there are a few pieces of gear not fully replaced yet... Weaponskill Belt/Necks and the Stoneskin pieces (Neck, Pants, Ear).

Either way, You can do quite a few things solo, including getting upgraded AF/Relic, since you can buy chapters with RoE points. It would take a lot longer, but you can do it. So you could get 119 gear without ever stepping foot into an endgame event or joining a party, would just take a lot longer than doing either of the above.

Doesn't involve camping or anything, unless you count RoE NM trials lol.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-07-13 17:43:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes it's worth it
[+]
By Ravenn42 2014-07-13 17:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

@karbuncle what do call AF and relic gear I'm pretty sure that's old gear. I wasn't implying stuff like bounding boots or wahala turbin lol. Old gear is being updated that was my point since you need the old stuff 2 upgrade it.

plus skadi +1 is best bst to piece as well. And there is also sky gear that is still good in certain sets. Hetacomb.... even mire body is still tops for Cor QD... Twilight body helm has its uses....kirin pants ...elemental gorgets. .probably a lot more SITUATIONAL gear like I said.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2014-07-13 17:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

@karbuncle what do call AF and relic gear I'm pretty sure that's old gear. I wasn't implying stuff like bounding boots or wahala turbin lol. Old gear is being updated that was my point since you need the old stuff 2 upgrade it.

All righty.

What piece of Hecatomb is still useful?
Edit: Talking bout the Pet: Bonus augments on Body/Legs?

Quote:
Are old events still worthwhile for at least some gear you'd want in different sets? Or has new gear rendered it all obsolete.

To this question, the answer is really no, or at least very very little. Theres not a lot of armor from old events(Pre-Adoulin) that is useful or not replaced, sans AF/Relic which only has a use in being required to upgrade to their 109 versions(and beyond).

So as far as getting upgrades go, it'll be almost entirely through Post-Adoulin content, with a few minor exceptions.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dijana
By Quetzalcoatl.Dijana 2014-07-13 18:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

When I said old gear, I was mainly thinking dynamis gear and AF yes, though I remember there being a few odd pieces that were still useful for swapping in for specific things (...I cant remember what those pieces were, but I know that my inventory would be full just carrying around all my dancer stuff most of the time)
By Ravenn42 2014-07-13 18:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

@karbuncle not sure why you are even attempting argue.. AF relic empy and salvage answered the question.. REGARDLESS of having to upgrade them. HETACOMB HANDS augmented are useful for thf still....I am sure I can come up with others when I get home from work.
By Ravenn42 2014-07-13 18:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

When I said old gear, I was mainly thinking dynamis gear and AF yes, though I remember there being a few odd pieces that were still useful for swapping in for specific things (...I cant remember what those pieces were, but I know that my inventory would be full just carrying around all my dancer stuff most of the time)

Boom
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2014-07-13 18:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

@karbuncle not sure why you are even attempting argue.. AF relic empy and salvage answered the question.. REGARDLESS of having to upgrade them. HETACOMB HANDS augmented are useful for thf still....I am sure I can come up with others when I get home from work.

Are you becoming upset over this? I've repeatedly tried to tell you I'm not here calling you out or trying to make you look like an idiot. A conversation, even a debate, doesn't have to have the underlying tones of it being some confrontational battle of honor.

My purpose, which I apologize if it offends you, is to give her the right information so she doesn't waste her time obtaining obsolete gear, to this purpose I only question which would be considered useful.

That said, I'd just like to point out Hecatomb hands, even +1, are not useful for Thief, they are replaced by AF119 hands, since AF119 offers similar crit dmg along side significantly more STR/DEX

Also you don't need to dig up old gear thats still useful, not that I doubt you could as your devotion is admirable. Seems to the point has been made, no?

If you're speaking on DNC, theres good chance most of your Waltz Potency/Sambaduration/whatever gear will still have its uses if its not AF/Relic, but most of your accessories and Main pieces for TP and WS are likely obsolete.

TP and WS are mainly what took the biggest hits as far as obsolete goes since SE spent a lot of time going for "upgrades" and hasn't got around to fleshing out the "Sidegrade" department yet. I'd like to point you to the DNC sticky but its super out of date :\, I'd recommend looking at the THF Sticky, as they share many same armor pieces.
By Ravenn42 2014-07-13 18:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Way to spin it. No I am not mad I answered the OP. AF and relic WAs enough.. gloves still used if u don't have the AF 119. OP didn't say best in slot. We can delete everything we both said after my post you replied to since what I said was correct.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2014-07-13 18:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Way to spin it. No I am not mad I answered the OP. AF and relic WAs enough.. gloves still used if u don't have the AF 119. OP didn't say best in slot. We can delete everything we both said after my post you replied to since what I said was correct.

Spin it? In the first response to you I made, It's the second sentence. Then you chose to respond as If i was trying to personally insult your being, which wasn't my intended goal.

But I'm not entirely without fault. So yah, sorry if i gave you the wrong impression.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-07-13 18:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I know I'm late, but just read something that was borderline unconstitutional: Hecatomb hands are good for thf!? On what planet and year are you referring to?
[+]
By Ravenn42 2014-07-13 18:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Old gear i was referring 2 was AF and RELIC which can be used to upgrade 119 so has uses

empy and salvage i mentioned could get upgraded and some pieces are still used.

Maybe I'm confused to what you were questioning since post was edited. But water under the bridge.. doesn't matter
By Ravenn42 2014-07-13 18:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I know I'm late, but just read something that was borderline unconstitutional: Hecatomb hands are good for thf!? On what planet and year are you referring to?

Seriously that's what u pick out..it's one example of pieces of old gear some may still use. Not best in slot but certainly not worth debating over.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dijana
By Quetzalcoatl.Dijana 2014-07-15 15:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay so to take this away from gear, I've been looking up new stuff. I see there's new 2hrs now...although I guess they are 1 hrs now. Turns out my husband and I met someone recently who plays on Carbuncle so we might consider that.

I never got a response on RUN and GEO. I had all the jobs I liked at 99 and even though I doubt anything could top my love of dancer, how are the new jobs?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Nyruul 2014-07-15 16:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

RUN isn't very appreciated as a main job. People have made use of it as a sub.
 Asura.Zubis
user: Zubis
By Asura.Zubis 2014-07-15 16:17:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd return, but not to Quezalcoatl. That server is dead for NA and EU players.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dijana
By Quetzalcoatl.Dijana 2014-07-15 16:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasnt intending to go back to Quetz :p Never liked being there in the first place, unfortunately its where Midgard merged to years ago and too many people were still around that I didnt want to leave. But since they've all quit and moved on, I have no reason to stay on Quetz if I return
 Quetzalcoatl.Zubis
user: Zubis
By Quetzalcoatl.Zubis 2014-07-15 16:28:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura's pretty busy; the Reddit LS actually hits the cap of 64 players on at any one time.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-07-15 17:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda a crapshoot no matter which server you go to, because ultimately you'll be looking for people who mirror your own interests. I'm sure every server has groups of all kinds, whether you're the ultra-hardcore type or laid-back and easy-going type. If you find yourself on Sylph and consider yourself the latter type, hit me up. I used to be on Midgard long ago as another character myself.

As for RUN and GEO, both are highly underestimated jobs. I don't have much experience with GEO, but a well-played RUN can tank or DD/support on any content, and is one of the best solo'ing jobs.
 Ragnarok.Drewbles
Server: Ragnarok
user: Tedril
By Ragnarok.Drewbles 2014-07-15 17:58:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey folks! Its been a long time since I played last (about 3 years maybe? Whenever adoulin was announced). I didnt necessarily quit, I just wasn't playing much at the time, and for some reason SE started cancelling my auto payments for my sub, so each month I had to pay a reactivation fee til I got sick of it and didnt resub until I wanted to play...which never happened.

Since then I've been playing FFXIV which I love, but sometimes I feel really nostalgic for XI. I'd like to know a few things for current players.

And finally

Edit: A 6th question, how are RUN and GEO? I was really interested in them when they were announced but I heard at the time of their release they either didnt work well or didnt have any decent gear. Is that still an issue or are they useful/fun now?
Yes. That about sums it up...
 Ragnarok.Drewbles
Server: Ragnarok
user: Tedril
By Ragnarok.Drewbles 2014-07-15 17:59:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Kinda a crapshoot no matter which server you go to, because ultimately you'll be looking for people who mirror your own interests. I'm sure every server has groups of all kinds, whether you're the ultra-hardcore type or laid-back and easy-going type. If you find yourself on Sylph and consider yourself the latter type, hit me up. I used to be on Midgard long ago as another character myself.

As for RUN and GEO, both are highly underestimated jobs. I don't have much experience with GEO, but a well-played RUN can tank or DD/support on any content, and is one of the best solo'ing jobs.
Clearly you have never been on shiva...
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-07-16 17:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Come back.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Server: Carbuncle
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-07-16 19:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

if you do come back, aim to the a player that everyone will want in their parties. with that aim in mind, the language barrier is broken and youll get /tell invites from friends or whatever from all language groups. based on that it almost doesnt matter what server you join as long as your response to criticism isnt "dont tell me how to play my job" and is actually "oh ok, please elaborate so i can be a better player".
First Page 2