Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 116 117 118 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-11 20:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
“I’m as much of a homophobe as Jesus was," he said last week. "People who are participating in homosexual behavior, they need to know that I love them.”
I'll take solace in this next time I find myself participating in homosexual behavior.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 20:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Josiahkf said: »
If everyone stayed a Virgin until marriage and stayed married until death (never cheating) sure we'd have a lot less STDs in the world.

But we'd have a shitload more misery.

Faithful monogamy = misery? Mmkay, that's an interesting perspective. Seems to be working fine for me, my siblings, my parents, my grandparents, my wife's siblings, my wife's parents, my wife's grandparents, etc., so I can't say I share that view.
I'm kinda with you on this one. Cheating often causes more misery than staying faithful does.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-11 20:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Quote:
“I’m as much of a homophobe as Jesus was," he said last week. "People who are participating in homosexual behavior, they need to know that I love them.”
I'll take solace in this next time I find myself participating in homosexual behavior.

Just make sure you're thinking about Phil Robertson's face the entire time.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-11 20:28:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured that was implied.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-11 20:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured that would be too disturbing to be implied, but you're full of surprises.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-11 20:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's the giant hole in his logic... The reason that some STD's are at a higher rate in the gay community is there are less potential partners and men have more partners than women. Stuff gets around, that's just math.

In long-term committed relationships, 60% of men and 40% of women will cheat on their partner at least once. So this fantasy of one man, one woman, only ever sleeping with each other for their entire lives is moronic. His thought process falls to pieces under any level of critical analysis.

Faithful monogamy = misery? Mmkay, that's an interesting perspective. Seems to be working fine for me, my siblings, my parents, my grandparents, my wife's siblings, my wife's parents, my wife's grandparents, etc., so I can't say I share that view.

"Monogamy" among all those people is statistically VERY unlikely, as I'm sure you're aware. Unless you reside in a living outlier, about half of those people have cheated on their spouses at least once.

Monogamy is a pretty word, but even among intelligent animals, it's very rare.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-11 20:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I reside in a living outlier, then. I'm cool with that.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-11 20:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Quote:
Lieutenant Colonel Sherwood Baker says he is just a father who was trying to help his daughter find her way at her new high school.
Lt... Baker has served in the Army for 24 years. This past week he was told by Rochester Adams high school security that if he wanted to get into the high school with his daughter he was going to have to go home and change his clothes.

Baker's wife, Rachel Ferhadson says, "Before he was allowed in, the security guard stopped him and said sorry your not allowed in the school. Security told him men and women in uniform weren't allowed because it may offend another student."
Army officer told he cannot enter his daughter's school while wearing a uniform

My first question would be: why does a public k-12 building have a security team? The rest were by answered by reading the article which actually explains the event instead of the stupid headline.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-11 20:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it's impossible that several of those people would lie about it or fail to announce it at family dinner.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-11 20:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Quote:
Lieutenant Colonel Sherwood Baker says he is just a father who was trying to help his daughter find her way at her new high school.
Lt... Baker has served in the Army for 24 years. This past week he was told by Rochester Adams high school security that if he wanted to get into the high school with his daughter he was going to have to go home and change his clothes.

Baker's wife, Rachel Ferhadson says, "Before he was allowed in, the security guard stopped him and said sorry your not allowed in the school. Security told him men and women in uniform weren't allowed because it may offend another student."

My first question would be: why does a public k-12 building have a security team? The rest were by answered by reading the article which actually explains the event instead of the stupid headline.

Because we have a problem in this country with people shooting up schools. Clearly a pimpled door nazi is the answer to protecting children from psychopaths.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-11 20:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Quote:

Because we have a problem in this country with people shooting up schools. Clearly a pimpled door nazi is the answer to protecting children from psychopaths.

We've had that issue for a very long time, and it's only grown since they made them a gun-free zones and tightened security.

I mean it hasn't been that long since I've dropped somebody off at a k-12 school and they don't have security around here, nor did they when I went. Hell when I was in middle school the one teacher brought his rifle in because he was hunting that morning.

Rednecks aside, it's still pretty ridiculous for a public school to have a security team. What are the class sizes of that school?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-11 20:59:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it's impossible that several of those people would lie about it or fail to announce it at family dinner.

Impossible? No. But here's a statistics lesson for you. As you stated, "In long-term committed relationships, 60% of men and 40% of women will cheat on their partner at least once." That may apply to a broad population, but the statistics per demographic vary. What may be a statistical outlier in one location may be relatively common in another. From what I know about my family, the odds that any of them have cheated thus far seems low. Could I be wrong, or could that change as the years go on? Absolutely.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-11 21:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Impossible? No. But here's a statistics lesson for you. As you stated, "In long-term committed relationships, 60% of men and 40% of women will cheat on their partner at least once." That may apply to a broad population, but the statistics per demographic vary. What may be a statistical outlier in one location may be relatively common in another. From what I know about my family, the odds that any of them have cheated thus far seems low. Could I be wrong, or could that change as the years go on? Absolutely.

That was exactly my point, but I want to add that infidelity is surprisingly universal. Some demo's have higher or lower rates, but the variances in the studies I've seen are pretty minimal. None list infidelity for either gender below 30%.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-11 21:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's see: PA, going to assume a lot of them live in rural. If there was infidelity it was probably short lived and not long term misters or mistresses like you'd see in middle> upper middle class families.

(not trying to judge you Rav, just going from what I know of you).

As I don't take you as the trailer trash type family, nor the wealthy type.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-11 21:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's see: PA, going to assume a lot of them live in rural. If there was infidelity it was probably short lived and not long term misters or mistresses like you'd see in middle> upper middle class families.

Well, the last sentence sounds right. I've never lived in PA, though.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-11 21:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

My bad, getting people mixed up, I'm 3/4 out of it, fighting one hell of a headache/lightheaded feeling.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-11 21:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

No worries. I'm just glad that you recognize that I'm somewhere between this:

and this:

[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 21:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

My bad, getting people mixed up, I'm 3/4 out of it, fighting one hell of a headache/lightheaded feeling.

Wrong Ra---- person.

I'm the Pennsylvanian.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 21:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Meanwhile in NJ...
Quote:
Twenty-eight preschoolers and two adults mistakenly drank bleach at snack time at a New Jersey day care center on Thursday and were taken to a hospital after some complained their stomachs were burning.

The children, aged 3 and 4, and adult staff members of the Growing Tree Learning Center in downtown Jersey City were transported in five ambulances to the Jersey City Medical Center after a late-morning call to 911, said Mark Rabson, a hospital spokesman. He said some complained of light-headedness, others of upset stomachs.

By mid afternoon, all 30 were in stable condition and were being discharged, Rabson said.

"There was a poisoning and many children were injured," he said, adding the children were walking on their own or were being carried out by their parents and "have smiles on their faces."

Keith Kearney, executive director of United Cerebral Palsy of Hudson County, which runs the day care center that is open to all community members and serves 65 children from infants to age 4, said he had heard no reports of injuries and that the hospital visits were a precaution.

"We had an incident where one of the staff in the kitchen used the cleaning solution bottle to pour water for some of the children," Kearney said.

"It was a repurposed plastic milk jug with a bleach water solution we use to wipe down surfaces. The label we had on the bottle wasn’t large enough to guard against it," he said.

The children and staff were having a morning snack of water and fruit when an adult noticed a faint bleach smell and reported it immediately, he said.

The 911 call kicked off a mass casualty emergency response by the hospital, which called in extra doctors and nurses and worked closely with paramedics, police and fire units.

They gave the victims liquids like water and milk to dilute the poison rather than inducing vomiting "because it would burn on the way back up again," Rabson said.
Dozens of children at N.J. day care center accidentally drink bleach
By Jetackuu 2014-09-11 21:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from the obvious question of why would you put a dangerous chemical in a food container (come on, how stupid are you?), how the hell did the person pouring this not smell it, bleach isn't a faint smell...

edit: regardless of the label using a food container to put a cleaning chemical in is borderline HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, and honestly the place should be sued for allowing that to happen.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 22:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from the obvious question of why would you put a dangerous chemical in a food container (come on, how stupid are you?), how the hell did the person pouring this not smell it, bleach isn't a faint smell...

edit: regardless of the label using a food container to put a cleaning chemical in is borderline HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, and honestly the place should be sued for allowing that to happen.
That was my first question, how do you not notice the smell?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-11 22:04:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it's just good that it was a "bleach solution" and therefore diluted. There are chemical labeling standards for a reason, though.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 22:08:49
Link | Quote | Reply

My next thought is how do you explain that to the parents?

"Um, sorry your child accidentally drank some bleach today. Don't worry though because everyone did it and we're all ok now."
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-11 22:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it's just good that it was a "bleach solution" and therefore diluted. There are chemical labeling standards for a reason, though.

Labeling standards are in the process of shifting to the international standard, and we all know how well most people are trained.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-11 22:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I often work in a lab where the chemicals are strictly held to labeling standards, but in my opinion nowhere are they more important than when you're working around food and/or when you're working around kids. The people in the story screwed up on both of those.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-11 23:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I often work in a lab where the chemicals are strictly held to labeling standards, but in my opinion nowhere are they more important than when you're working around food and/or when you're working around kids. The people in the story screwed up on both of those.

I completely agree, but that doesn't magically make OSHA labeling standards common sense. What strikes me as odd about this situation is that a person with such limited neural capacity was allowed to work there in the first place.

I only mentioned the change because it drastically changed the symbols used, so it is conceivable that someone wouldn't recognized the newer symbols being used in terms of volatility/reactiveness/etc.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-11 23:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's the giant hole in his logic... The reason that some STD's are at a higher rate in the gay community is there are less potential partners and men have more partners than women. Stuff gets around, that's just math.

The rates, and their causes, of transmission amongst gay men are getting confusing. What you just stated was very much true, along with homosexual men testing themselves higher than heterosexual.

Many public health agencies are pushing Truvada(PrEP) on gay men and it isn't being used as directed by some many patients. So we may see, in a few years, if the introduction of PrEP by the FDA has caused gay men to use condoms at a lower frequency than heterosexual men.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-11 23:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

That alone is scary, but what's worse is how many physicians aren't recommending it to gay men because they know it could embolden them to not practice safe sex. Emphasis should be placed on employing as many preventative measures as possible and using them correctly, not them interchangeably or dismissing one to validate another.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-11 23:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if there's a strong correlation between homosexual men and stds due to the high concentration in high population density zones and possible flocking to those areas, or easier to come out in a zone that's more accepting than one that's not.

/ponders

(I mean nothing negative by this, just a thought).
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-12 00:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if there's a strong correlation between homosexual men and stds due to the high concentration in high population density zones and possible flocking to those areas, or easier to come out in a zone that's more accepting than one that's not.

/ponders

(I mean nothing negative by this, just a thought).

Communicable diseases travel very fast in a small population. The gay communities are somewhat concentrated in certain areas, sure, but it has as much to do with proximity as it does with the relatively small number of potential partners and general male promiscuity.
First Page 2 3 ... 116 117 118 ... 1375 1376 1377