Seattle Enacts $15 Minimum Wage

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Seattle enacts $15 minimum wage
Seattle enacts $15 minimum wage
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-06-03 09:35:41
Link | Quote | Reply

The majority of items in Walmart, for example, do not range between 1-2 dollars, for that 1-2 cent increase. It's a 1.4% increase on all items, which the majority of items range between 10-1500 dollars, or more.

Some is inherently bad at math.

And reality.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-06-03 09:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a 15/hr job after I got out of college in 04'. I'm not sure what the running rate is for aspiring architects these days. Crazy to think that today's new grads will be buying coffee down the street from people likely only making 2-3 dollars less than they do.

Who needs college when you have liberal delusions?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-03 09:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Rubican said: »
It is estimated that if a company like Walmart were to raise any employees (who are not already at or above the level of pay) pay to 13.86 an hour, it would cost the company 4.8 billion dollars. Do you know what that translates to for a company of that size? They would have to raise prices in their stores by 1.4% which would be between one and two cents per item in the store. 1 or 2 CENTS! not dollars, CENTS. and the same goes for any company that is large and takes in MILLIONS to BILLIONS OF DOLLARS A YEAR.
Here is the reason why your argument is flawed.

You are talking about a company that has multiple locations both inside Seattle and outside Seattle. You are implying that, in order to comply with this new law inside Seattle, Walmart would have to raise the price in all stores, both inside and outside of Seattle, by .01 for all of their products.

But if you really look at the larger picture, you would see that Walmart does not supply the entire workforce of Seattle. Most people who are employed in Seattle are employed in businesses located only in Seattle. So, they will need to raise their prices for products or services by greater than .01 because they do not have outside locations to spread the cost around. They are stuck with the bill of increased labor because of where they are located.

Their only solutions are:

1) Raise prices
2) Layoff people
3) Go out of business.

Which answer would you prefer?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-03 09:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this is the video:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-03 09:41:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
I got a 15/hr job after I got out of college in 04'. I'm not sure what the running rate is for aspiring architects these days. Crazy to think that today's new grads will be buying coffee down the street from people likely only making 2-3 dollars less than they do.

Well, college created a generation of underskilled and overeducated ***, thinking they deserve more than they earned.

All part of the cycle of debt though.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-03 09:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Haven't you heard?
All the money is in property.
Actually, property is one of the only assets that historically rise in value at a stable and steady rate.

On average you can double your investment within 20 years. At least in Texas (not sure about other states, I'm pretty sure Detroit is in the negatives right now).
Historically, yes.

However, right now this hasn't happened in the past 20 years.

It's part of the credit bubble.

I'll find the recent returns on property investment later. The real return is like 2-4% I think.
I'm going by property values in Texas only.

I have inherited property that cost my family $50k, which is worth $100k, and it's just land in North Texas (no improvements or anything on it). I have some land in East Texas that increased about the same (more or less). Some of my clients who have land in Eagle Ford saw their values increase 200,000% or greater. Some of my clients who have land in West Texas have not seen an increase at all.

But I digress. I'm just stating historical land values and their increases.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-06-03 09:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ha!

Even a lot of liberals are against this, as much as there are conservatives for this.

I would be considered liberal by American standards, and as much as some places need a wage increase (i mean specifically, a living wage), they sure as *** don't need to more than double their minimum wage. It introduces far too much currency into the local market, that it eventually becomes meaningless, and prices will inflate to reflect the wage increase.

It's a repeat of history, and I'm going to wait with a bucket of popcorn, for some entitled princess to shout to the masses, the words of Marie-Antoinette: "If the people can not eat bread, let them eat cake!"
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-03 09:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I was referring more to developed property anyways.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-03 09:43:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
I would be considered liberal by American standards, and as much as some places need a wage increase (i mean specifically, a living wage), they sure as *** don't need to more than double their minimum wage. It introduces far too much currency into the local market, that it eventually becomes meaningless, and prices will inflate to reflect the wage increase.
Bloodrose gets it too!

Now where's Kara saying that we are all wrong because she is an "economist"?
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-03 09:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Bloodrose gets it too!

Now where's Kara saying that we are all wrong because she is an "economancer"economist?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-03 09:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »

Well, college created a generation of underskilled and overeducated ***, thinking they deserve more than they earned.

Don't know about other fields, but the IT industry is notorious for this.

Even better was the fact that entry level jobs are non-existent unless you kiss *** 'work' for the government. (FAA Tech center by my college was notorious for this.)

EDIT: Non-paid internships after college ftl.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-03 09:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't know about other fields, but the IT industry is notorious for this.

Even better was the fact that entry level jobs are non-existent unless you kiss *** 'work' for the government. (FAA Tech center by my college was notorious for this.)
Public accounting is largely understaffed at the moment.

It would be hard not to get a job in a CPA firm, unless you are a known fraudster (there is a publication for CPAs only that shows who's been convicted for fraud in the state and nation, so we know who not to hire in the firm. Once you get on that list, your career is over.).
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-06-03 09:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah and how does implementing a 15/hr address that problem? All it does is take what was previously a 16/hr job and make it barely more valuable than a min wage job.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-03 09:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah and how does implementing a 15/hr address that problem? All it does is take what was previously a 16/hr job and make it barely more valuable than a min wage job.

Well, money isn't everything. I'd rather be paid 15hr for a job I enjoyed than 20hr for a job I loathed. (Assuming both equals a living wage or greater)

I'm not defending the 15hr min wage, I think we all should be rooting for it to be a great success and prove everyone wrong, but I think the idea is laughable personally.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-06-03 10:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, money isn't everything. I'd rather be paid 15hr for a job I enjoyed than 20hr for a job I loathed. (Assuming both equals a living wage or greater)

I'm not defending the 15hr min wage, I think we all should be rooting for it to be a great success and prove everyone wrong, but I think the idea is laughable personally.
Money isn't everything, but when you had to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get a piece of paper which now only gets you a job that pays a dollar more than min wage, its a big waste of money. This is legislation that devalues a college degree to a further extend than the rush of helecopter-ed millennials flooding the doors of local colleges.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-03 10:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I spent roughly $100,000 on my degrees. (Computer Science and Math)

Only job I got out of college required a certificate that cost ~ $250. No college required.

Only places where it was finally put to use after 7 years was Russia and China. Go figure. At least that debt was finally put to rest, lol.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-03 10:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Money isn't everything, but when you had to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get a piece of paper which now only gets you a job that pays a dollar more than min wage, its a big waste of money. This is legislation that devalues a college degree to a further extend than the rush of helecopter-ed millennials flooding the doors of local colleges.

So because your cake cost more money, nobody should have free cake? Seems like your anger is misdirected. Shouldn't you be demanding better pay than telling people they should be paid less?

This is a philosophical argument right now, divorced from the practical implications of minimum wage jobs at such a high cost. I just can't reconcile your statement with anything I believe.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-06-03 10:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So because your cake cost more money, nobody should have free cake? Seems like your anger is misdirected. Shouldn't you be demanding better pay than telling people they should be paid less?

This is a philosophical argument right now, divorced from the practical implications of minimum wage jobs at such a high cost. I just can't reconcile your statement with anything I believe.
Because I paid for my cake, you shouldn't get one for free. I mean we can whine all we want about how much we're cake we are owed, but markets determine such things.

Your argument seems to be lets just raise the wage at the bottom and hope for the best. Yet you call this doomed to fail. Do you not recognize how this shits all over recent college grads?
By Jetackuu 2014-06-03 10:54:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Psubond said: »
going to be a lot of coffee shops laying off people and/or closing

I like how people confuse their imagined reality with actual reality and think that businesses don't make obscene profits once it's to the point that they're a chain.

As for coffee: the profit margin is ridiculous anyway, they could easily afford it.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-06-03 10:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You know starbucks buys bags of coffee beans for roughly 1.75 for a 20 kilo bag?
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2014-06-03 11:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't ***all over recent college grads.

Your argument is akin to saying we should technological advances in phones because you just bought the new Yphone 7 and realeasing smaller, sleeker version with better functionality and a better price shits all over your phone.

Also, god forbid intellectual pursuits be pursued because you want to, not because you're chasing the carrot.

F*ck slowing progress because you want to feel better about what you have. Establishing a good minimum wage also encourages better and more competitive wages all around a little down the road.

In the short term could people lose jobs? Yes. But there's only so much minimum wage labor you can cut and still function, and we're almost to the f*cking floor on that one. Can the cost of living go up because of this? It can, but those on minimum wage will still be much better off because of it, and those not on minimum wage shouldn't see a little cost of living increase as some sort of looming apocalypse unless they suck with money but that's more on them then isn't it?
By Jetackuu 2014-06-03 11:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You know starbucks buys bags of coffee beans for roughly 1.75 for a 20 kilo bag?
can't use metric dude, the neocons won't understand.
By Jetackuu 2014-06-03 11:14:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I love the argument of "their jobs will be replaced with machines" good!

It's about time we cut cheap manual damn near slave labor out of the equation, and stop the debt cycle, and actually try to improve/innovate as a society.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-03 11:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
can't use metric dude, the neocons won't understand.

Wrong again silly.

They'll send the DEA after you for making drugs. lern2warondrugs.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-06-03 11:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Brain said: »
It doesn't ***all over recent college grads.

Your argument is akin to saying we should technological advances in phones because you just bought the new Yphone 7 and realeasing smaller, sleeker version with better functionality and a better price shits all over your phone.

Also, god forbid intellectual pursuits be pursued because you want to, not because you're chasing the carrot.

F*ck slowing progress because you want to feel better about what you have. Establishing a good minimum wage also encourages better and more competitive wages all around a little down the road.

In the short term could people lose jobs? Yes. But there's only so much minimum wage labor you can cut and still function, and we're almost to the f*cking floor on that one. Can the cost of living go up because of this? It can, but those on minimum wage will still be much better off because of it, and those not on minimum wage shouldn't see a little cost of living increase as some sort of looming apocalypse unless they suck with money but that's more on them then isn't it?

This is the stupidest thing I've read all day. Raising the minimum wage isn't progress. If businesses can't afford the labor, they will simply do without it or they will shut down. I love how everyone here claims to know exactly how these businesses are run, but in reality has no idea.
By Sieha1 2014-06-03 12:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow you can really see the split between the generations in this thread.

people who want money and dont care what they do, other people who dont care about money and only want to enjoy what they do. Still others that think they shouldnt have to go to college to make a living. People who think this is the beginning of the end of affordable living, and the progress people.

Very interesting.

Anythings value is controlled by one simple ideal, supply and demand.

high supply of money means low value. While this will help the economy for a short time, the end result will still be an increase in prices. Oh well, soon enough we will switch to gold and captives then it will all be ok.
By Jetackuu 2014-06-03 12:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't believe people still operate under the idea that wages didn't stagnate for decades while profits soared.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-06-03 12:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sieha1 said: »
It really isn't even remotely as simple as this. That's certainly the base principle, but actually examining it is like magnifying a fractal edge.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-06-03 12:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, people don't realize that the almighty rule of supply/demand went out the window a long time ago, if it ever really applied.

It's certainly a large factor, but with a lot of things, it's very well manipulated.
[+]
 Fenrir.Weakness
Server: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-06-03 12:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sieha1 said: »
Wow you can really see the split between the generations in this thread.

people who want money and dont care what they do, other people who dont care about money and only want to enjoy what they do. Still others that think they shouldnt have to go to college to make a living. People who think this is the beginning of the end of affordable living, and the progress people.

Very interesting.

high supply of money means low value. While this will help the economy for a short time, the end result will still be an increase in prices. Oh well, soon enough we will switch to gold and captives then it will all be ok.

This is what I find interesting.

I'm not saying a lack of higher education means you should flip burgers for the rest of your life, but I really don't understand the logic behind paying said burger flipper the same as someone who invested time and money to make themselves more marketable and (maybe more) knowledgeable. Regardless it shows a sense of goal-seeking and self worth.

If there is little incentive to go above minimum, or if you create a gap so large between minimum and the next step, you are basically asking for people to placated by what is in front of them and creating a generation of zombies with little desire to better themselves for lack of reward.

Lump me into the "do what makes you happy" bunch. What makes me happy just happens to require schooling and licensure.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10