First Page 2 3 4 5
 Cerberus.Spirachub
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-05-21 11:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't stun kaustra/meteor?!

Anyone who doesn't stun with bot via chat log would be looking at animation, and magic has a different animation to TP move (at least the red line/aura at the bottom). And you would grow accustom to differentiating them
 Bismarck.Keityan
Server: Bismarck
user: Keichan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2014-05-21 11:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Reichleiu said: »
I'm sorry, but not every SAM is going to have Yoichi or Amano and certainly not Koga. Relying on that strat would be shortsighted.

They can, however, use Apex Arrow with a Tsuru + Cibi/Hana. Taking advantage of two weakness phases is still a huge advantage to a SAM.

Also, concerning Matamata: Murasamemaru on a SAM can also deal with Matamata's magic phase. I haven't tried it solo on a #7, but it still counts as magic damage on WS and will also do 99,999s.

-----

My question is more towards the Tojil fight you arrive at. How are the stuns? Are you being Lahared? It may seem like an obvious question but many of the PUGs I've seen on Twitch fail specifically on stuns and reach bosses at poor times because of poor coordination. (not necessarily poor DPS).
 Asura.Reichleiu
Server: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-05-21 12:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Cerberus.Spirachub said: »
We consistently do it under 20

Takes us about 25 Minutes when we don't remove aura, probably less to do with kill-speed and more to do with us being impatient and aggroing every add possible.

and I'm not bragging about doing it in around 3 minutes. I mention it because earlier posts were mentioning having to clear it in around 8 minutes to be a good run.

Removing the aura is not necessary, but it is certainly fun.

As much as I like arguing, this isn't really helping the OP.

Can someone post a Video or MNK gearsets for his friends to take a look at and see if it's poor DPS?

Looking at it if the SCH is landing stuns reliably, and the WHM is okish ~ I would say it's down to poorly geared DD's.

You're right. This thread was derailing, and I'd like to apologize to the OP for that. Certainly was not my intention at all.
[+]
 Cerberus.Flaminglegion
By Cerberus.Flaminglegion 2014-05-21 12:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

@flaming

I'm sorry, but not every SAM is going to have Yoichi or Amano and certainly not Koga. Relying on that strat would be shortsighted.

We run MNKx2 with Sparai and DRG with just Upukirex. On everything except Kurma and Matamata, DRG is right up there with MNKs. I'll have to post the parse for the next run we go on. MNKs and DRG are all within 1000 total damage on Tojil by the end.

I did not list any strat involving setup, I shared my experience as a DRG. Using only Upukirex I definitely wouldn't be (as) competitive with the SAMs I play with, I haven't gone DRG vs MNK against our strongest MNKs as no one seems happy (or in some cases, able) to play SCH for us. Sounds like your MNKs aren't as good as your DRG but like I said in my post I haven't gone with that same setup before. If you want to call my post shortsighted for mentioning amano/koga/yoichi then you may wish to amend your advice which lists 2x spharai and upukirex (which they probably haven't cleared given the topic, and are using JSE, if you meant for making this relevant to OP? Else I don't see any problem listing at least relics but lets not descend into that nonsense).
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2014-05-21 12:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Slowga, Meteor, Kaustra, Breakga. All are potentially worth stunning, with the exception of Breakga because you can accession stona. Slowga is kinda annoying and will take time to get off of all DDs since you probably don't remove his silly aura. Meteor supposidly does high enough damage to warrant stunning, and Kaustra is the same deal.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Server: Carbuncle
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-05-21 12:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

going with cor and ddx2 (one of them preferably being mnk) is way better than going with 3 dd. never have a dd prep mata, this needs to be removed from everyones mind as a strategy for prepping mata. ive prepped it as brd sch and whm. straight tank it, even when prepping it as whm while healing the party. stand with your back to the wall, the party should be aware of the fact your prepping it and to be in range of cures. stop telling people to have a dd prep mata this is bad advice. you can go on ws 3 this way,or 4 if the other nms were far apart.
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-05-21 12:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Bukadan said: »
going with cor and ddx2 (one of them preferably being mnk) is way better than going with 3 dd. never have a dd prep mata, this needs to be removed from everyones mind as a strategy for prepping mata. ive prepped it as brd sch and whm. straight tank it, even when prepping it as whm while healing the party. stand with your back to the wall, the party should be aware of the fact your prepping it and to be in range of cures. stop telling people to have a dd prep mata this is bad advice. you can go on ws 3 this way,or 4 if the other nms were far apart.

The reason people say to prep mata with a DD is that it is much easier/safer. While this strategy you have outlined works and helps you get through the run faster.. if you fail at this it puts more pressure on the run.

If the sole objective is to clear Morimar, it is fine to prep mata with a mnk instead of a mage.
 Cerberus.Spirachub
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-05-21 12:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

it's actually safer to get a mage to prep it, mata can be easily slept by lullaby/repose/sleep.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Server: Lakshmi
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-05-21 12:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Party setup: DRK MNK MNK BRD SCH WHM
BRD is usually ghorn/3-4 song.

We usually pull all the mobs if they are all in the same room. MNK tanks Mata. We sleep everything else. Kill adds first. Then Raptor. No skillchains on him. We're all usually on vent so all the DDs usually WS at the same time to avoid SCs. If whirling inferno gets off, WHM sacrifices to get zombie off. On Eft, we usually have WHM silence it and rape it. After Mata's 5th TP move, we usually have the MNK(s) FS and destroy. SCH can nuke too to make it faster but not necessary.

On Peiste, we blind and stun Cal. Mist only. Rest we can deal with. On Kurma, we dispel hardened shell. SCH usually nukes him down along with DDs.

On Tojil, we buff up first (SV songs, embrava etc) then have the BRD sac pull while a DD vokes it off. BRD needs to aggro the surrounding mobs so when Tojil runs back, he doesn't bring any adds with him. BRD sacs in a safe spot to get back up and join the fight. The initial voker will run far back enough for the second voker to pull it to where you will be fighting him. Mages should be at least 20 yalms away to avoid getting hit by spells.

Rest is routine, first mnk HF and FS (cancel at 75%). DRK shines at 50%. Last MNK HFs at last 25%. I suggest a DRK who can assist SCH in stunning just incase SCH is a few seconds away from next stun.

SCH with marches and embrava should be able to get stun recast down to 3-5 seconds with Alacrity. If DDs are higher tier, you won't need to worry about hitting the stun wall and should be smooth sailing. Personally when I SCH, I only stun JA moves (watch animation). It's easy to distinguish between spells and JAs. I'll have the DRK stun spells worth stunning (Meteor, Kaustra, Slowga, etc). The other spells you should be able to eat with WHM.

If spikes do get off, have the BRD dispel immediately. Reapply songs and haste on SCH when needed (for stun recast).

EDIT: I've also gone with BLU instead of 2 MNKs. BLU shines at 75% mark. A good RUN can also make it so Tojil can't lahar but gains access to Volcanic Stasis (stun this of course). RUN can also up the dmg for the DDs and provide resistance against him.
[+]
 Leviathan.Feint
Server: Leviathan
user: feint2021
By Leviathan.Feint 2014-05-21 13:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

it's actually safer to get a mage to prep it, mata can be easily slept by lullaby/repose/sleep.

You never really want to sleep mata as it'll just extend the prepping time.

Having a DD prep it isn't bad advice.

For the OP. Many of the suggestions are good in here. I'm surprised no one mentioned casting Dia II on everything besides mata and maybe raptor.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-21 13:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Feint said: »

For the OP. Many of the suggestions are good in here. I'm surprised no one mentioned casting Dia II on everything besides mata and maybe raptor.
Use Bind.
 Leviathan.Feint
By Leviathan.Feint 2014-05-21 13:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »

Use Bind.

That's creating more work for the stunner.

A good set up can kill the first 3 nms in under 10 mins. And this is with 2 DDs fighting eft and raptor.

Sure there are other ways to prep mata but yeah....it really shouldn't be an issue anyways.
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-05-21 13:10:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Typically when we have a mnk prep mata, the first 2 NMs are dead before its used the final TP move, so not having the mnk prep it would not speed up the run at all.

It is much safer to throw a full PDT mnk at it to just auto-attack.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-05-21 13:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

That is totally just FFXI basic 101, I thought everyone already know like they know you gonna haste DD.
 Leviathan.Feint
By Leviathan.Feint 2014-05-21 13:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »

That is totally just FFXI basic 101, I thought everyone already know like they know you gonna haste DD.

Have you never been to a pug? Apparently not.
 Cerberus.Flaminglegion
By Cerberus.Flaminglegion 2014-05-21 13:16:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you could count and wake it up when it's ready to use a TP move and only have it slept during the melee phase. Regardless of whether you sleep it or not, mata is easy to kite or even straight tank it as SCH. The other nms die faster than mata can be prepped and my DD are usually ready and waiting for mata at 5-6min mark depending on pull/positioning etc. You can also use sleeps to delay the TP moves on purpose if they need more time so if anything I prefer to sleep mata as it allows more control.
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-05-21 13:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Flaminglegion said: »
Or you could count and wake it up when it's ready to use a TP move and only have it slept during the melee phase. Regardless of whether you sleep it or not, mata is easy to kite or even straight tank it as SCH. The other nms die faster than mata can be prepped and my DD are usually ready and waiting for mata at 5-6min mark depending on pull/positioning etc. You can also use sleeps to delay the TP moves on purpose if they need more time so if anything I prefer to sleep mata as it allows more control.

Thats the point I was making though. You can't prep mata as fast as DDs, even two, can kill the other two NMs in a good group. So why make your sch do that when they can focus on other things and just let a full PDT mnk straight tank it?

Neither one is more beneficial than the other except it being much easier for a MNK with almost 2.5k+ HP to survive in full PDT if something DOES happen to go wrong.
 Leviathan.Feint
By Leviathan.Feint 2014-05-21 13:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Flaminglegion said: »

Again, creating more work for the stunner.

Sleeping it to buy more time is a nice thought if it's needed.

You really don't need 3 DDs on the other 2 NMs. Kill the others too fast and you're just waiting on counts anyways. Since they are using 1 monk they will have to wait until 5-6 counts.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-05-21 13:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

id say the safety level is 100% the same. as an example i two box sch and mnk most of the time so i prep mata straight tanked without sleeping it (for shortest time to ws) and with regen5 up, i almost never need to cure myself, and when i do its because some of the adds i slept pulling the mobs woke up and came to hit me or something. why take a dd away from the nms? you can go on ws 3 and be done with 1-3 in less than 5 mins. if time isnt an issue i suppose it doesnt matter, but USUALLY people doing tojil are doing it for max plasm/profit.

and the only time diaing or scing the raptor is an issue is if your whm is new to the game, other than that this should be dia2'd and victorysmited/resolutioned/ect since sc's add to dps.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-05-21 13:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I PUG all the time!
 Cerberus.Flaminglegion
By Cerberus.Flaminglegion 2014-05-21 13:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

SCH method takes one person out of the fights, MNK method takes two, but whatever works, works and we'll both have our preferences. I prefer SCH method, DDs can clear all adds to the wall in the meantime, but hearing that others are going on WS 3 is good news - guess we should have been more daring. Hopefully we can break some of our records! :)
 Quetzalcoatl.Taberifx
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Taberif
By Quetzalcoatl.Taberifx 2014-05-21 13:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

lol who stuns Magic?
I always stun breakga
 Leviathan.Feint
By Leviathan.Feint 2014-05-21 13:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I PUG all the time!

smh
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-05-21 13:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

going with pugs makes you a better player and gives you more field experience with *** ups people tend to do. its valuable time spent keeping you on top of your game, if absolutely nothing else
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-05-21 13:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Bukadan said: »
going with pugs makes you a better player and gives you more field experience with *** ups people tend to do. its valuable time spent keeping you on top of your game, if absolutely nothing else

My reason for PUG is the same as everyone else: I don't have enough ppl.
 Cerberus.Spirachub
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-05-21 13:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't get the arguments against sleep prepping, mata does tp move every 45s-1min, If you wake it at ~40s in you'll prep just as fast as a mnk, with less complication. If you do manage to kill other nms before mata is ready because of the extra dd, you can clear adds till the barrier as flam said, if you managed to prep mata ready before dd the other nms, you can delay the subsequent tp moves so it's ready to go after your nm is killed.It doesn't delay you, it just makes it more flexible to your situation. Only time when dd really have to wait on mata is when mata is in the last room and being awkward for pulling or something
By ElysiumTK 2014-05-21 14:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Taberifx said: »
lol who stuns Magic?
I always stun breakga

Please scrub you lose 24/7... 365/yr to toejam :P
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-05-21 14:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't stun kaustra/meteor?!

Anyone who doesn't stun with bot via chat log would be looking at animation, and magic has a different animation to TP move (at least the red line/aura at the bottom). And you would grow accustom to differentiating them

No because I land silence 100% of the time using Mopo.
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-05-21 14:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Systematicchaos said: »
Slowga, Meteor, Kaustra, Breakga. All are potentially worth stunning, with the exception of Breakga because you can accession stona. Slowga is kinda annoying and will take time to get off of all DDs since you probably don't remove his silly aura. Meteor supposidly does high enough damage to warrant stunning, and Kaustra is the same deal.

In ability of the WHM to land silence suggest they shouldn't bother going imo.
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2014-05-21 14:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Systematicchaos said: »

In ability of the WHM to land silence suggest they shouldn't bother going imo.

I'm more impressed at your WHMs ability to cast silence while it's in the middle of a cure. That is impressive.