Is FFXI Worth Returning To?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is FFXI worth returning to?
Is FFXI worth returning to?
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-02-19 15:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Cledant said: »
Leviathan.Draylo said: »
No you try harder. Do you even play? Go away already. Low population, yea it's low. 300 avg is not true.
You mad bro.

Lol
[+]
By camaroz 2014-02-19 15:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah he's mad at all these ridiculous posts over and over about the same ***. The game isnt perfect but it's better then its been in years.
[+]
 Bahamut.Caelestis
Server: Bahamut
user: Caelestis
By Bahamut.Caelestis 2014-02-19 16:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Imo, if you have some friends that are still actively playing this game, its very much getting back into...otherwise idk. Yes, as many have said before, there are too many things to do ingame atm for a returning player, almost overwhemlmingly so (which is a good thing, of course), but its gets old fast alone/2box/trusts/whatever. The reason i say that is b/c lack of friends still playing is one of the main reasons ppl have been taking breaks/quit in the first place. FFXI is also at a point now where even "big" version updatess (like the one this past Monday) dont even bring back players like they once did, even though they seem occur much more frequently than yesteryears.

Botton line, if have the itch to come and already know that the majority of your ingame friends are done with FFXI, stay away imo...unless you can join an endgame LS of some sort, but honestly, lets be realistic, thats much, much easier said then done, but if you do have a core of friends that still enjoy the game, odds are if you come back, you'll enjoy it along with them.
By Luvbunny1 2014-02-19 22:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The game is great for small burst activity now - so many things to do, and most of them are very accessible to all level of players. Though at the end, it is still better to enjoy with a couple friends in game - makes things a lot more memorable and less sleep inducing :)

If you plan to come back, you definitely should do that. It is far far more accessible, so many things to do at your own pace. There are still a few "HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE" annoyance that has to go (aka. Eldieme needed 2 persons to open gate). Crap like that on older content has to die, but the developer is doing their best making the game far far more enjoyable.
[+]
 Asura.Alexandero
Server: Asura
user: jalexan4
By Asura.Alexandero 2014-02-22 03:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't listen to these people that are saying it is boring. If they were bored I doubt they would still be playing. FFXI isn't the only MMO. Here is the problem. Either those people are on a low pop server or they CHOOSE to stand in town and be bored. The problem with alot of player that claim to be bored, are bored because they are afraid to just start a group for something. I am on Asura and if I want something or want to do something Ill just start shouting. There are plenty of "bored" people standing around and I usually fill a party within 5 minutes. If you have never done the event before so what? Read up on what you can and go for it. Most likely someone in the group has already done the event and can help out, if not then everyone gets a learning experience out of the run. It's a win either way.

I used to swear Square hated the players with some of the stuff they used to pull. I have to give credit where credit is due, they have stepped up to the plate and are making the game a better experience. It isn't the hardcore game it used to be but that's ok. No, there aren't as many people but there are enough to do anything you want when you want if you will just start the group. If you want to roll solo for a while SE has helped us out with that as well. The content of this game is enormous and we are constantly getting more. Should you come back? That is up to you. Ive been with the game for 6 years and I am having more fun now than I ever did. Besides, it's 12 bucks to find out, that is less than a meal at Outback for a month of entertainment.

I disagree Caelestis. Those friends that left and the reason you shouldn't come back were made where? Most of your ingame friends that may not be here anymore you met in the game. So don't come back because the other people on the server aren't real people you may befriend? I've had friends leave and I've made new friends. I don't think you should base your decision on the actions of others. Sheep do that and they end up falling off of cliffs. Come to Asura and look me up, Id be more than happy to help you get back in the swing of things and be your "friend" if that is the only reason you play. Im not a NPC, I promise. You can transfer to Asura too Caelestis, I'll be your friend too!
[+]
 Bahamut.Demoncard
Server: Bahamut
user: Demoncard
By Bahamut.Demoncard 2014-02-22 11:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

This is now a Bahamut thread, everyone else out.

If you've got friends who're interested in FFXI and still play, then it's worth it. If you've only got one friend who still plays, it's still worth it. If you've got no friends, make some and play FFXI with them. If you don't have FFXI, but have friends, play FFXI with your friends.If you've got FFXI who're interested in friends and still worth, then it's play it. If you've only got one play who still friends, it's still worth it. If you've got no make, friends some and play FFXI with. If you don't have have, but FFXI friends, friends with FFXI your play.
[+]
By timeastman 2014-02-24 11:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm coming back next month after a 3 month self imposed exile, simply because I love the game. XI is one of those like it or hate it things. Over the years I've found that the casuals like it for a couple of months then whine and quit because it's not as easy as the rest of the games out there. Good, the game will be much better off when all the candy *** leave. But if you love the game come back, and if you can't find anything to do for the love of God start a shout party
 Ragnarok.Almantia
Server: Ragnarok
user: Almantia
By Ragnarok.Almantia 2014-02-27 17:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I returned a couple of weeks back after getting pissed off at the WoW nature of xiv with its vertical progression shiz. Trust npcs are a boon to me as I was pretty much a full time soloer anyway before. At the moment I'm running through RoE, taking my time on nms and always been a fan of nm hunting - the Miraculous Dale was one of my favourite quests. I was also lucky in that a good number of people are still here on my old shell so I don't lack for company to chat to, occasionally party with (even if its rare like /l KA UP! and the whole shell comes to join lol). Do it.
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-02-27 18:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

C
 Quetzalcoatl.Stik
Guildwork Premium
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: hectordc5
By Quetzalcoatl.Stik 2014-02-27 19:11:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Stik
Guildwork Premium
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: hectordc5
By Quetzalcoatl.Stik 2014-02-27 19:13:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Tuvae
user: Tuvae
By Ragnarok.Tuvae 2014-02-28 06:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Hows Ragnarok server nowadays? XIV has gotten direly boring.. Although whats harder than deciding if I want to reactivate? Redownloading... how the hell are you meant to do it?
 Lakshmi.Cledant
Server: Lakshmi
user: Latifah
By Lakshmi.Cledant 2014-02-28 06:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

timeastman said: »
I'm coming back next month after a 3 month self imposed exile, simply because I love the game. XI is one of those like it or hate it things. Over the years I've found that the casuals like it for a couple of months then whine and quit because it's not as easy as the rest of the games out there. Good, the game will be much better off when all the candy *** leave. But if you love the game come back, and if you can't find anything to do for the love of God start a shout party
This doesn't work to begin with. Why your account match perfectly with the one that posted after you? /settle down?.
[+]
By Mastersaxon 2014-02-28 10:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I have just recently come back after a stab at FFXIV and a year and half break from FFXI...I'm loving the new updates to FFXI and personally I'm more of a solo person who tends to party up now and again but if anything I mostly do content with a family member who told me about all the new updates since my wee departure...I decided to leave FFXIV as the people on there seem to be more uptight and I missed the party dynamics which tbh is something I miss in FFXI prior to abyssea, and I also felt like the Missions were repeats and the lag was too bad for me to stay and yet some how I never got that bad a lag on FFXI.

I'm in Asura and it seems to be still healthy in population for a game so old now.

Also RoE has given me stuff to do when I'm too lazy to do quests/missions...also I missed playing SMN/DNC/BST. Smn was just not the same feel for me in FFXIV but that's my issue and possibly a nostalgia one at that.

If I were the OP I would give it a shot for one month and see if you like it...whats the worst that can happen.

Hopefully you begin to fall in love with it again as I have done since my coming back in the last few weeks.
By Mastersaxon 2014-02-28 10:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Also wanted to add that I hated that you couldn't team up on FFXIV to do missions...I found that to be the case with just about 99% of the missions I was doing on FFXIV.

I also felt most of it was too easy and rewarded you for the silliest of things and besides hating some of the hard stuff on FFXI, I enjoyed the rewards once you got past it and felt like I actually earned the rewards...FFXIV felt like I had to burn to 50, click here for yer pat on the back and the combat system annoyed me also as there was no need for skill or job knowledge to kill things.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Mastersaxon 2014-02-28 12:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Tuvae said: »
Hows Ragnarok server nowadays? XIV has gotten direly boring.. Although whats harder than deciding if I want to reactivate? Redownloading... how the hell are you meant to do it?

I cannae remember which forum i saw it on but someone had posted a link to the download with the updated patches included....think it was either BG wiki or allakazam (spell check)
 Phoenix.Lagian
Server: Phoenix
user: Lagian
By Phoenix.Lagian 2014-02-28 13:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally don't think the game is worth coming back too. That obviously is just my opinion. I didn't like the direction the game went once Abyssea came out. Abyssea was the decline for me. However, many people love the new direction. You'll have to decide for yourself if the monthly fee is worth paying.

If you have friends playing and can dive into the content, I would say it's worth it.

If you are just looking for an MMO to kill time, you could check out some of these F2P games in no particular order.

1.) Rift
2.) Tera
3.) Aion
4.) DC Universe
5.) Guild Wars 2 ($40 to own forever w/ no subscription fee)
6.) The Secret World ($30 to own, no subscription fee)

Rift - I played only a short time, so I can't really give any good insight into it.

Tera - I played this game quite a lot. While the game does feel dry once you hit the level cap, the combat is simply stunning. Again, just opinion, but Tera has the best combat system out of any MMO I've played. Very fast paced. The combat alone is enough to warrant checking this game out.

Aion - More traditional MMO Feel. Seemed like plenty to do, but can feel grindy.

DC Universe - Very Very fun game. You can run around aimlessly and have a good time if you like just having super powers and such. The stories for some of the characters are also really entertaining.

Guild Wars 2 - Maybe the best F2P if not best MMO out currently. Content added every two weeks. Wonderful map design with the inclusion of some fun (and challenging) jumping puzzles. World vs. World and PVP if that is more your thing. Well worth the price tag to buy the game.

The Secret World - A bit of an oddball here. Kind of takes the combat style of DC Universe and adds a more modern horror story veil to the world. Definitely fun.
 Ragnarok.Almantia
user: Almantia
By Ragnarok.Almantia 2014-02-28 15:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Hit me up when you get back in Tuv, got a decent ls (SFCaitsithII if you were in it once?)
 Ragnarok.Tuvae
user: Tuvae
By Ragnarok.Tuvae 2014-03-01 04:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Alma! My man! You still play? :) Good stuff! YehI was in SFCS before I left, ill most likely still have a pearl, i played with pyth and brev and a few others on FFXIV for a bit aswell.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2014-03-01 04:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

do not listen to what other people say return to game if you want and see how you like it
 Asura.Ivykyori
Server: Asura
user: ivykyori
By Asura.Ivykyori 2014-03-01 07:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »
do not listen to what other people say return to game if you want and see how you like it

All of this. It may not be the same game that you left, but MMO's do have to evolve somewhere.
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-03-01 12:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Lagian said: »
I personally don't think the game is worth coming back too. That obviously is just my opinion. I didn't like the direction the game went once Abyssea came out. Abyssea was the decline for me. However, many people love the new direction. You'll have to decide for yourself if the monthly fee is worth paying.

Pretty much this, IMO FFXI isn't as interesting as how it used to be, no matter how hard I try I can no longer get very into it like how it was. I think SE's attempt to make this game solo/lowman friendly really killed the game. Everyone loves to solo(and not having to rely on others), on the same time a MMO that players mostly solo(and not having to rely on others) isn't more fun than a single player RPG. I mostly play single player RPG nowadays, most of the single player RPG has a much stronger presentation than MMORPG.
By Lisotte 2014-03-01 13:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
Phoenix.Lagian said: »

Pretty much this, IMO FFXI isn't as interesting as how it used to be, no matter how hard I try I can no longer get very into it like how it was. I think SE's attempt to make this game solo/lowman friendly really killed the game. Everyone loves to solo(and not having to rely on others), on the same time a MMO that players mostly solo(and not having to rely on others) isn't more fun than a single player RPG. I mostly play single player RPG nowadays, most of the single player RPG has a much stronger presentation than MMORPG.

Fortunately almost none of the modern relevant content that has come out since Abyssea has been possible to do solo ;)
Add to that, that you don't really need to go get that much stuff from Abyssea anymore (lots of the gear can be skipped I think now), and almost all of your endgame experience has to be done in a group, sometimes in a 6 man party, sometimes an 18 man alliance. The only things I solo now are farming, and this is coming from a career PUP who has soloed almost everything that I can.
By timeastman 2014-03-01 17:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

timeastman said: »
This doesn't work to begin with. Why your account match perfectly with the one that posted after you? /settle down?.
What? You have to make sense for people to understand you
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [84 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Artamas
Server: Bismarck
user: kittyamy5
By Bismarck.Artamas 2014-05-24 17:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Jirachi said: »
No. How you're going to play the game anyways? It’s just a major ghost town on all servers; on top of that, the community is almost non-existent because most players moved to ffxiv. Like someone mentioned above, your going to spend a lot of time afk/idle because of boredom.

Actually- I wouldn't say that;
I made characters on my friends trial account on all servers, and some, Yes (Bismarck was the worst!) Are ghost towns.
But some (Valefor and Bahamut) Didn't seem so empty.
Each character I ran to Jeuno to see the people feel in Jeuno.
Bismarck was the only server I came across that while in Jeuno I found absolutely NOTHING (a few afk people) All other servers had at least some movement.
td;dr: Not true; unless you're on Bismarck.

There is plenty to do in this game and much of it is doable solo; and SE has even gotten some very easily obtainable gear for level 99(117) that is pretty caught up for any casual player.

GG my server was merged and now Im on Bismarck. Guess I will have to server xfer if I'm going to go back *sigh*
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-05-24 17:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Artamas said: »
Shiva.Jirachi said: »
No. How you're going to play the game anyways? It’s just a major ghost town on all servers; on top of that, the community is almost non-existent because most players moved to ffxiv. Like someone mentioned above, your going to spend a lot of time afk/idle because of boredom.

Actually- I wouldn't say that;
I made characters on my friends trial account on all servers, and some, Yes (Bismarck was the worst!) Are ghost towns.
But some (Valefor and Bahamut) Didn't seem so empty.
Each character I ran to Jeuno to see the people feel in Jeuno.
Bismarck was the only server I came across that while in Jeuno I found absolutely NOTHING (a few afk people) All other servers had at least some movement.
td;dr: Not true; unless you're on Bismarck.

There is plenty to do in this game and much of it is doable solo; and SE has even gotten some very easily obtainable gear for level 99(117) that is pretty caught up for any casual player.

GG my server was merged and now Im on Bismarck. Guess I will have to server xfer if I'm going to go back *sigh*

Unlucky.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.