Animator's Workshop: A Puppetmaster's Guide 2.0

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Animator's Workshop: A Puppetmaster's Guide 2.0
Animator's Workshop: A Puppetmaster's Guide 2.0
First Page 2 3 ... 35 36 37 ... 68 69 70
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-12-13 19:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Rawhide C on the hands is also really heavy on ACC with a bit of DA for auto.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-12-13 19:49:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
Enmerkar Earring: BiS Pet:Tanking/nuking/dd
AF Legs, BiS Tanking and healing

Can they PLEASE stop pairing pet tanking stats (DT-, HP, Enmity, etc.) with Acc (or STP, DA, etc.)? It's bad enough already with Animator P, level+1 cape, and gifts... and now more TP generation, great. If you're not tanking with people who are trying to coordinate SCs that's no problem - but if you are (and that's kind of the current meta), pet gaining TP even faster is only a negative. It's really getting to the point where we need a fix (honestly, I'd suggest just slashing the recast timer on tactical switch to something like 60sec or lower, so you can "steal" pet TP more frequently and then just get rid of it with a quick weapon swap on yourself)

To me, Earring is arguable as BiS for tanking. Aside from the TP generation (Pet: Acc+15 AND store TP+8... sheesh), you have to give up one of the enmity+5 earrings. For me, I'd rather keep more enmity, less TP, and honestly I don't really feel like the additional DT-3% makes much of a difference when the pet is already near unkillable outside of gimmicks/status effects/etc.

Foire+3 legs are indeed nice for tanking, though the +2 are worse than existing options.

Quote:
Accessories seem like the real winners this month for PUP.

Yes, and aside from the ones you already mentioned,the thing that excites me the most is this little gem (Niqmaddu Ring:
STR+10 DEX+10 VIT+10 "Quad Attack"+3% "Subtle Blow II"+5)

Quote:
Maybe pet nuking can stop sucking now? But it's most useful for when you are getting CP, which you probably aren't going to need by the time you get some of this stuff.

Nah, from what I tried last month with Tali'ah gear it's still gonna suck for CP in a party where pulls are coming at any decent speed, regardless of improved pet: Macc/MAB. If you can't force the puppet AI to use the right element, you're going to get mediocre results. I could get a very respectable initial Blizz MB on crabs, for instance, but then the puppet would follow up with garbage like water (on crabs) or thunder (when we're doing a darkness MB).

I could see some potential in puppet nukes on something slower and more controlled, where you can set up 3x Ice Maker bursts that don't come fast and furious, so there's a chance of getting the correct element. But CP (in a party, at least) isn't the right scenario to make Spiritreaver worth a damn. Perhaps something like a duo doing a SC and tacking on some pet magic burst? (though honestly, I soloed some points I'm inclined to think that just spamming "solo" master+puppet SCs is probably better, and a lot less of a hassle to manage).

For party CP, you're probably best off as a melee participating in SC (with a WHM or RDM puppet to avoid it screwing up people's SCs).
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-12-23 10:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as Pet: sTP goes, is there a total magic number to meet before stacking it further becomes pointless, and if so, what is that +sTP amount? This is assuming with 2x Inhibitors, of course.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-12-23 12:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Capuchin about the element ***thing, if your group doesn't mind to use Light instead of Darkness (Light with Thunder MB works very nice on Crab anyway, arguably better than Blizzard) then PUP in CP pt is viable, as long as you kill stuff with a single SC, means there's gotta be other competent magicbursters in party.

Gonna need almost full tali'ah and one macc attachment
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-12-23 12:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need that much magic accura.
By Bamboom 2016-12-23 12:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you guys have any VS/Shijin spiral sets to shoot for?

Also, for those of you who have sets for your puppet ws, does GS detect when the puppet will WS and switch gear or do you need to manually do that?

What kind of sets do you build for pet ws?

Thanks!
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-12-23 12:33:42
Link | Quote | Reply

gear swap won't detect automaton pre casts. for mage it will for mid cast spells. i have various idle toggles for my auto depending on my role and pet role. for example i idle in naga c for fast fast if i'm using healing auto and mage.
 Bahamut.Badstreak
Server: Bahamut
user: Streak
By Bahamut.Badstreak 2016-12-29 08:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Any of the Foire +2/+3 worth working on from Omen?

The only one that looked exciting was the boots for nuking (not that relevant) and maybe hands for overload/maneuver+ again.

The body has weapon skill damage +5%/+10% but that seems less than optimal for stringing pummel. I haven't mathed it yet though.
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-12-29 08:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The legs are BiS tanking.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-12-29 09:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

While it's a pretty awesome piece nonetheless, I'm not sure I'd call it "BiS".
It has it's quite clear perks, but so does a Taeon Piece with perf augments (Magic Evasion +25, Regen+3) and so does HQ Rao (HP+125 does wonders for tanking)

So... I dunno. Foire+3 are awesome, but not necessarily BiS, just different?
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-12-29 09:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Stand alone they are better. When you look at a full DT set, not always. They are best for cure sets though. Recommend feet first.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-12-29 23:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
While it's a pretty awesome piece nonetheless, I'm not sure I'd call it "BiS".
It has it's quite clear perks, but so does a Taeon Piece with perf augments (Magic Evasion +25, Regen+3) and so does HQ Rao (HP+125 does wonders for tanking)

So... I dunno. Foire+3 are awesome, but not necessarily BiS, just different?

Agreed, I see this as the age old "it's situational"

For me, just having more DT- is not really that compelling of a reason. Sure, it's highest in slot... but does that matter to you when you're likely capped on PDT-, and capped or near capped on MDT-? And even when uncapped, a couple points more DT- is generally never the tanking issue on PUP. You're gonna be practically invincible anyway from any type of attacks, and the issue would be with auras, enfeebles, gimmick mechanics, etc.

Personally, I'd usually rather have either the extra HP on Rao (more for enmity purposes than any other reason), or Meva on Taeon. Meva is not very useful with a piece or two, but when you're using something like my default tanking set using 4/5 Taeon with Meva+22~25, plus Ohrmazd with over Meva+20, plus Animator P+1, plus Ambuscade cape, and maybe getting a GEO using Vex... then it becomes a lot more likely you're getting above floored Meva and making that a useful stat.

Plus, the cost of those +3s... The Foire+2 legs are nothing special when Rao/Taeon exist, so you have to go all the way to +3 to make the piece a contender for BiS choice.

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Stand alone they are better. When you look at a full DT set, not always. They are best for cure sets though.

Is there really anyone who uses an automaton cure set? I sure as heck don't. And it's not as if puppet won't overcure anyway, regardless of a few extra percentage of cure potency.

Recommend feet first.

Fet are pretty nice. Aside from the nuke piece, the upgrade from +2 to +3 adds "Repair+3", which I assume is repair removing an additional debuff.

Hand are useful too, Foire +2 and +3 both improve the amount of attribute+ stat from maneuver (Foire +1/+2/+3 have "Maneuver Effects" +1/+3/+5, respectively), in addition to being a good pet Acc/Haste option.

I don't know that I find any of these pieces especially worth the current upgrade cost, but as the materials get cheaper those are the two I'd probably target first.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-12-29 23:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I do, to good effect too.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-12-30 00:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I do, to good effect too.

How?

Doesn't your puppet overcure anyway without potency gear?

And aren't losing out on stats from other options that I assume would be better for whatever you're doing than cure potency gear? Even assuming you're able to use Gearswap to detect when the puppet is casting so its midcast gear uses potency gear (I don't use GS so I don't know if that's even possible), there's some portion of time when you're not using your better non-potency gear.

Unless you're talking about the PUP serving solely as a backline healer which would allow for idling in potency gear... If you are, hey, knock yourself out. But that's really not something I see myself, or most PUPs, doing regularly.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-12-30 00:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 348657

All the Naga is C. Path C also gives pet fast cast. If I'm on the backlines myself, I idle in pet FC gear, which is full Naga C with Pitre +1 legs for FC. GS and Ashitacast will both detect midcast, just not precast for auto spells. And I don't overcure that much. Having a set like this lets me use Light and Ice maneuver to reduce chances of auto not recognizing it needs to cure and set stuff like regulator with a dark maneuver.

Obviously will struggle with heavy AoE fights or healing intensive fights in general. But I also have a mage sub idle set for /WHM I can toggle to if I have to.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-12-30 00:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, hey. There's another use for AF legs then. Not something I see myself doing much of, but you're right that it's the BiS piece for that application. Thanks for the info!

Edit: the more I think of it, I really really can't fathom a great use case for PUP healing. If you're sitting on the backlines doing nothing but single target curing, any actual mage seems so much better and much lower risk of automaton AI hijinks. WHM obviously, but I'd much prefer something like a RDM too (potent enfeebles, Inundation, Haste II, Phalanx II, etc.). A SCH, or even BRD GEO SMN, could also probably handle the same kinds of lower impact curing requirements that an automaton can do well, and also add significant additional benefits.

Not to dismiss what might work for some people, I guess everyone has their own situations. But this feels to me like such a subpar use of a job slot. I'd rather not bring a PUP at all in that case, or use PUP in a more meaningful way. At a minimum, I wouldn't advise that the vast majority of PUPs will run into a lot of use of a pet cure set, so take that into consideration before investing considerable effort into pieces for such a set.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2017-01-02 18:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can run double ice light with the right attachments, the Automaton is a pretty decent healer, certainly better than some players I have met. In addition, I don't ever aim to be the healer, but there are times when a healer dies, DCs or whatever and it's nice that in eight seconds you can take over and prevent a wipe.

But it's seriously the lowest priority set I have. I almost never use it. It's just worth having for when you need it I figure.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-01-02 18:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

it's a very easy set to get though. 4x naga c which also functions for healing idle as well with the f c in it and fours legs. i use it to heal random stuff. doesn't replace a dedicated white mage for super important stuff but i don't disregard it completely. having that set does allow you to cap potency with just one light and double ice or use dark for dispel and attribute stealing.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-01-02 19:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
In addition, I don't ever aim to be the healer, but there are times when a healer dies, DCs or whatever and it's nice that in eight seconds you can take over and prevent a wipe.

This is a decent use case for pulling out a WHM puppet, but I still think it makes virtually no difference whether you're curing in automaton potency gear. Most likely the puppet is going to overcure anyway, even without the additional potency gear.

Personally, I just find it an unjustifiable loss of inventory space. I honestly get more use out of not clogging up my inventory with un-muleable augmented gear.

Now, a MASTER cure potency set is something that is far more practical, and I always carry my capped potency set for the many times I'm on PUP/WHM and standing on the backlines while the puppet tanks.
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2017-01-02 19:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Will try asking again since overlooked.

As far as Pet: sTP goes, is there a total magic number to meet before stacking it further becomes pointless, and if so, what is that +sTP amount? This is assuming with 2x Inhibitors, of course.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-01-02 19:59:04
Link | Quote | Reply

No, not really.
 Carbuncle.Xylus
Server: Carbuncle
user: DaDrifter
By Carbuncle.Xylus 2017-01-09 09:13:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there any must have +2/3 upgrades recommended for PUP?

Considering body for WS and hands for maneuvers but not too sure on the rest over other available options and how they compare.

Thoughts?
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-01-09 10:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Feet for nukes and legs for healing and a solid DT pet piece.
By Teuphist 2017-01-10 00:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

After choosing PUP as my career job for this game, I like to find purpose in every piece. I'd like to add that Foire Taj +2/3 can possibly benefit RDM and BLM puppet if you create a refresh set for those rare moments you have it excessively casting. Given recent gear and this update's notes, it would be safe to say SE is finally working on puppet magic issues. Add Babouches to your list.

Haters will say this isn't consistently possible. Doesn't account for much as it's not on NMs, but this could tremendously help those who are CPing and have built MAB sets. I couldn't be any more clear when I say every MB 79-90k on apex crabs...Every MB!
***Edit***
MACC +152 (gear)
Magic Skill +20 (Nibiru Sainti)
MAB +60 (gear) Magic DMG +30 (ambu cape)
2x Mana Chanellers (no maneuvers)
Ice Maker (200%)
2x Optic Fibers (25% boost)
***/Edit***

This will take majority of the crab's HP. A 2nd nuke for around 40k or so I believe will likely kill it, thus only needing one SC per mob. In this case, Mana Channelers could be of use without much penalty to recast before your party is ready to kill the next crab.

The head piece can also help should you acquire the confidence to tank using Harlequin head with Stormwaker frame. The +3 legs are a shoe in particularly for this build. I'd even go as far as to say full Harlequin tanking given a combination of -DT, enfeebling and self healing capabilities. I mean, if Harlequin/Stormwaker can tank T3 Reisenjima, why couldn't harlequin?

Credit to Deeedo on providing the opportunity to witness this in action.

Ultimately, this is a job which requires a boatload of gear/augments so I don't expect many to explore much outside of tanking since that's what tends to get invites. The job itself has come a long way and still needs plenty of testing done. Get at it!
By Sockfoot 2017-01-12 01:40:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If a person were so inclined, what would they want on Herc gear for a WS set? Should I be aiming for (ATK, DA, Crit Rate) or (VIT/DEX + ATK)?

I guess the real question is: how good is DA/Crit (4% max) relative to a good VIT or DEX roll? Looks like only String Shredder can crit per what I can find on the wiki?

Obviously a main stat, ACC/ATK, DA/Crit would be perfect, but trying to be a bit realistic here. Broseem no love me long time.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2017-01-12 12:50:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I've made some detailed posts about the effectiveness of WS sets for Automatons. Essentially, you want a Dex/acc/atk set for Sharpshot. Valoredge wants DA/acc/VIT for bone Crusher and String Shredder. For moves that scale with TP, include your TP Bonus items (Empy head, non-ambuscade JSE cape, [ormahzd can get it but it feels like it's too expensive])

The difference is quite noticeable. If you take PUP seriously it is absolutely worth while to make WS sets for your automaton. You cannot automatically trigger them, you have to just anticipate what WS your Automaton will use, but this is super easy to do with a little practice.

I favor raw stats over unique stats. Automatons can get DA from lots of sources, stats are much harder to come by.
[+]
By Cupbot 2017-01-12 19:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

How much store Tp would I need to get my pup down to a 4 or 3 hit build with inhibitors?

Sorry meant with*
By Teuphist 2017-01-13 08:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Not exactly sure on the number, but my guess is somewhere around 70.
I believe the max you can get is +81 from gear with the new earring I'm positive every dedicated PUP will have in their arsenal.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2017-01-13 08:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Teuphist said: »
Not exactly sure on the number, but my guess is somewhere around 70.
I believe the max you can get is +81 from gear with the new earring I'm positive every dedicated PUP will have in their arsenal.

It is substantially higher than 75. Weapons with delay in the high 500s require around 75. Automatons need 100 just for a five hit on Valoredge, and Sharpshot requires even more.
First Page 2 3 ... 35 36 37 ... 68 69 70