Bubble Trouble: A Geomancer Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24 ... 73 74 75
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-03-28 09:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Weatherspoon loses some of it's appeal when you realize you can cap both fast cast and quick magic without it. It does help you keep more MP in your fc set, but I think Vocane or one of the refresh rings is better for GEO.
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2016-03-29 15:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bg wiki says I cap out indi refresh at 6 at 600 skill. I'm at close to 700 skill with gear and merits and I am only getting 9 tick refresh with Dunna. Am I missing something here?
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-03-29 15:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Weatherspoon also benefits the light based magic damage club weaponskills. Not like you're going to Flash Nova anything major but it is a bonus.
 Sylph.Ykfan
Server: Sylph
user: Ykfan
By Sylph.Ykfan 2016-03-29 20:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
Bg wiki says I cap out indi refresh at 6 at 600 skill. I'm at close to 700 skill with gear and merits and I am only getting 9 tick refresh with Dunna. Am I missing something here?
As far as I remember, this piece is information is released by the official website which is not correct. From my experience, indi-refresh should be capping at 900 skill instead of 600.

From the information of jp wiki, 720 skill should be another tier.

Your text to link here...
 Asura.Beatsbytaru
Server: Asura
By Asura.Beatsbytaru 2016-03-30 19:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a skill tier for GEO to boost spells between 850 and 900?

900 isn't feasible till chain bonus event is back, but I'd like to squueze out as much as I can until than. Could probably reach 880 without a lot of work.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2016-03-30 20:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Tiers is a weird term. It applies well to things like Refresh in which at certain skill thresholds you gain +1 Refresh but many of those tiered spells have already capped.

For many spells, like Fury for example, every skill point you add will add some amount of potency to the spell. And as far as I am aware there is no actual tier for Fury, it is always the same increase per skill point.

Things like Torpor have "tiers" but they have so many of them that in general if you are adding a new piece of gear that gives you a skill upgrade of any significant size it will break some sort of tier and give more accuracy no matter what.

For the large majority of spells, you will see an increase accross the board from adding an extra 30 Geomancy/Handbell skill in unless the spell is already capped like Poison or Refresh.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-03-30 20:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Beatsbytaru said: »
Is there a skill tier for GEO to boost spells between 850 and 900?

900 isn't feasible till chain bonus event is back, but I'd like to squueze out as much as I can until than. Could probably reach 880 without a lot of work.

That'll depend on the spell. Some have a tier every 15-20 skill, some every 40-50 skill, etc. Honestly a few skill points isn't a big deal at all, and I think it's absurd people shout for 900 skill GEO like it's a huge difference maker.

For some actual numbers. The difference between an 880 skill cast and 900 skill cast on Indi-vex would be 2 magic accuracy. If magic accuracy was so finely tuned that was a huge difference maker we'd be bringing RDM's to everything for Addle 2.

Or for frailty the difference would be 0.26% defense between 880 and 900 skill. This isn't make-or-break, otherwise we'd be bringing RDM's for Dia 3 to all content, yet we don't. Now Dunna on the other hand IS required, as Dunna from base is -13.5% defense on frailty.

The best part about SE releasing a cap on GEO skill is it lets you cast in full Empy+1 once you're mastered and have incanter's so that set bonus has some semblance of usefulness, skill itself isn't that drastic in potency.
By FaeQueenCory 2016-03-30 20:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

They all have tiers.

And you're wrong, Failaras, about fury/frailty. Nothing happens if you add just 1 skill more.
Those are tiered at ~10 skill/tier.
Malaise/acumen are larger at ~20 or ~30 or so.
And the largest are regen and refresh. They're over 100 or so.

If you want the EXACT tier level for each spell, take the 900 (600 for refresh, regen, and poison).potency and subtract the 0 skill potency.
This gives you the variable skill => potency.
Then you divide the variable skill by the number of of the potency values. (Eg: 600 skill variability for Refresh, 5 potency states, so each skill tier is 600/5=120. So for every 120 skill, you gain 1 more potency of Refresh.)

Every spell is unique, just like Bard songs.
And just like Bard, only capping full skill and then +potency matter.
No one should care about precise tiers except for the triviality of it.
[+]
 Asura.Beatsbytaru
By Asura.Beatsbytaru 2016-03-30 20:31:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay thanka for the advice everyone. I'll just look to max out as high as I can until I can hit 900.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2016-03-30 20:58:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
And you're wrong, Failaras, about fury/frailty. Nothing happens if you add just 1 skill more.
Those are tiered at ~10 skill/tier.
Malaise/acumen are larger at ~20 or ~30 or so.
And the largest are regen and refresh. They're over 100 or so.

TIL on Fury having actual tiers. I was under the impression that because Fury added percent increase that scaled based on player Attack, it would always add a benefit. My bad on that.

What I said was flawed, but still applies. At 10 a tier spells like Fury have tiers so small that you would likely gain a bonus off any gear change that wasn't something insignificant like Bagua Body to Bagua Body +1. For other spells like Torpor as I mentioned they certainly have tiers, but the tiers aren't spread apart by much and once again you'd likely gain a bonus from a gear upgrade. And certainly that extra 30 skill will net you a tier upgrade, even on the hard spells you mentioned like Acumen.
 Shiva.Alistrianna
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2016-04-04 14:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

How much DT/PDT- does it take to reach the cap on a Luapon? I've heard Luapons have 50% innate pdt much like avatars do. Is the PDT added afterwards multiplicative and take more to reach the overall cap, or is 37.5 enough to reach the cap?
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-04-04 14:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just additive.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-04-05 07:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Back slot for nukes.
INT+20, Macc+20, MDmg+20
versus
INT+8, Mab+10

***is situational of course, but on average?
Ruling Macc out, it's basically INT+12/MDmg+20 vs Mab+10.
For low tier nukes it's easy to say the outcome, but for T5 and T4?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-04-05 07:23:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Back slot for nukes.
INT+20, Macc+20, MDmg+20
versus
INT+8, Mab+10

***is situational of course, but on average?
Ruling Macc out, it's basically INT+12/MDmg+20 vs Mab+10.
For low tier nukes it's easy to say the outcome, but for T5 and T4?

With enough MAB the int/mdmg is going to win for sure. INT on high tier nukes is like 3.5 DMG per. So you're talking the cape is +60-75 damage, then buffed by MAB (where we should have like 400-500 vs MDB with malaise so I'm thinking 6-10x multiplier). So I guess I will just do that augment and keep pet regen in. Time to go get an isa belt since I was using geomancy one for final pet DT.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-04-05 07:34:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah exactely my thinking.
So many capes to get that I'm doing my best to look for acceptable compromises and inventory savers.

This new cape with the above mentioned augs won't be the best for nuking (Pet: Regen+10 vs Mab+10) but at the same time it would be equal/better than the following capes

1) Toro Cape (nuking)
2) JSE cape with +20 Indi Duration
3) JSE cape with Pet DT

Some notes about that though:
  • It has to be seen if the duration is 20% or +20 seconds. Not a big deal at the end of the day maybe, but the augment on the old JSE cape is an odd ball and it's % whereas all other duration increases (solstice, AF pants, AF feet) are fixed duration in seconds.

• Can probably survive without the 5% Pet DT on cape, especially if you have an Idris (honestly my aug wasn't really 5% but something lower), but the good part about the JSE cape is that you could get pet dt AND master dt on the same slot, was useful. I think with my current set I don't cap PDT without the back slot. Again no big deal, just saying.

Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-04-05 08:06:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah exactely my thinking.
So many capes to get that I'm doing my best to look for acceptable compromises and inventory savers.

This new cape with the above mentioned augs won't be the best for nuking (Pet: Regen+10 vs Mab+10) but at the same time it would be equal/better than the following capes

1) Toro Cape (nuking)
2) JSE cape with +20 Indi Duration
3) JSE cape with Pet DT

Some notes about that though:
  • It has to be seen if the duration is 20% or +20 seconds. Not a big deal at the end of the day maybe, but the augment on the old JSE cape is an odd ball and it's % whereas all other duration increases (solstice, AF pants, AF feet) are fixed duration in seconds.

• Can probably survive without the 5% Pet DT on cape, especially if you have an Idris (honestly my aug wasn't really 5% but something lower), but the good part about the JSE cape is that you could get pet dt AND master dt on the same slot, was useful. I think with my current set I don't cap PDT without the back slot. Again no big deal, just saying.

Well, Idris makes pet DT easy. Only need 37.5% in pet DT, Idris 25, JSE gloves 11, so that's 1.5% from somewhere else. My geomancy cape was 3% so that did it. Isa belt is also 3 and will do it.
 Sylph.Chocobro
user: Bilix
By Sylph.Chocobro 2016-04-05 08:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget you have a bell with 5%.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-04-05 08:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Well yeah, but I was thinking about sets where you want to cap YOUR pdt AND the luopan DT.
Cape was useful for those situations. (you forgot Dunna has 5% too btw)

Frankly I'm far from being PDT capped on GEO sice I got my Idris (was using weapon slot + shield to cap), but in the end I'm so rarely in the tank pt that I really didn't see the urgent necessity to clog my constantly strained inventory with more incredibly-situational pieces that I use two times every year.

edit:
Nevermind, I'm not that far at all actually, can cap really easy with a couple of items I already have but I simply was not using in my GEO PDT set.
 Shiva.Keman
Server: Shiva
user: Keman
By Shiva.Keman 2016-04-05 09:24:42
Link | Quote | Reply

So, what did this part of the update notes refer to?

"Geomancer - Adjustments to geomancer spell effects"
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-04-05 09:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

To the old stuff they mentioned on the official forums some time ago.
Small nerf to Indi/Geo Acumen (I think it's around mab-8?) and to Indi/Geo Fend.
 Sylph.Chocobro
user: Bilix
By Sylph.Chocobro 2016-04-05 09:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure what the changes to the Magic Burst on Cardinal Chant are. Someone with more resources than me needs to test it. I'm sure it was a nerf.
 Sylph.Braden
By Sylph.Braden 2016-04-07 02:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It has to be seen if the duration is 20% or +20 seconds. Not a big deal at the end of the day maybe, but the augment on the old JSE cape is an odd ball and it's % whereas all other duration increases (solstice, AF pants, AF feet) are fixed duration in seconds.

Just checked the cape and it's +20 seconds flat as expected.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-04-07 03:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean the new one?
That's a *** failure then, it's 20 seconds versus ~36 from a maxed out old JSE cape.
Might not be a big deal for normal indi spells but on entrusted ones it sure makes a difference.

Sigh, there go my dreams of saved inventory space.
 Sylph.Braden
By Sylph.Braden 2016-04-07 10:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you've got an Idris, why not just go for the ol' AF1 Hands+Dunna combo and throw on whatever DT cape?
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-04-08 08:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhm... I meant something different.

* Don't need old JSE cape for +10 skill anymore
* Don't need old JSE cape for DT or pet DT anymore
* Don't need old JSE cape for duration +20 anymore

I thought HEY! Inventory space+!
But alas the third part doesn't apply.
Also, I forgot about a fourth part, I use old JSE cape for precast as well, sooo... yeah, gonna have to keep the old one as well lol.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2016-04-08 08:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Pet Regen +10 on the cape is pretty great. Makes my mule's Luopans last forever.

I think his first cape will be INT+20, MEva/Eva+20, Pet Regen +10.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-04-08 08:29:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhm... I meant something different.

* Don't need old JSE cape for +10 skill anymore
* Don't need old JSE cape for DT or pet DT anymore
* Don't need old JSE cape for duration +20 anymore

I thought HEY! Inventory space+!
But alas the third part doesn't apply.
Also, I forgot about a fourth part, I use old JSE cape for precast as well, sooo... yeah, gonna have to keep the old one as well lol.

Eh, considering Timers doesn't accurately show duration of Indi's and it's hard to see if a bubble is up with a bunch of people stacked up, etc. I almost always just recast my Indi every 3 minutes regardless. I sure don't care to worry about a few seconds, I only have MP issues if I'm spamming nukes and can't land Aspir, which is...extremely rare.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-04-08 09:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a custom function that creates custom timers for Indi bubbles. Tested on my own and gave it a 2 seconds margin to be 100% sure.

>36 seconds duration is not "a few" seconds imho, it's useful especially to make the max out of Entrusted bubbles.
Think I'm gonna keep midcasting with the old cape =/
By Damane 2016-04-14 03:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Also dont forget there is allways a chance for more gear being added with indi-duration+ which the JSE cape will have larger impact on then the ambuscade cape. I would definitly not throw out the JSE cape, the fast cast alone is nice
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-04-14 05:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

No I kept my old JSE cape.
I use it for Indi midcast and for magic precast (7% FC)
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24 ... 73 74 75