Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » What is THF's role in end game? /Rant On Mode
What is THF's role in end game? /Rant On Mode
By Chyula 2013-11-27 16:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know what the *** is the point with this rant, at this point in game if you don't have everything leveled then you shouldn't even continue playing. btw thf will always be the best job solo farm because of TH, and as for events no one want to include a light DD when they want maximize damage potential and that is how every game out there. No one want to wait around long hour killing something, we are long past the *** 8hr Kirin/kings/Dragon fights.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-11-27 16:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Uh....I got nothing.
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-11-27 16:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If you nerd out your THF sets and play aggressively, take your THF to a Ceizak run (/war since COR have a hardon for /dnc) and surprise everyone. Be sure you augment the Feint legs so you can use that to help justify your slot to the haters.
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-11-27 17:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
any reasonable delve alliance has 9 people with sleeps and lower damage output than you, if none of them can handle it then you have bigger problems than how to optimize your blu performance

WHMx2
BRDx2
CORx2
SCH/BLMx2
RDM or SCH/RDM

edit: 11, forgot the geos

So many spots going to just a few jobs and people wonder why so many jobs go unused.

To the people saying, "well you should level something else", you probably should, but does anybody say that to the monks or samurais? The good ones, anyway? The good mnk/sam that want to come on mnk/sam get to come on mnk/sam.

Have "'Flavor of the patch' jobs" really changed in a good while? The biggest change is when geo got in the cool kid's club and RUN got go sit with the goths.
 Phoenix.Erics
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2013-11-27 20:23:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Any jobs usefulness seems to change when there is new content released. People always will find what works "best"(or easiest) and stick with it because it has been proven to work. You can ask anyone who has mained nin or pld over the years it usefulness and demand for jobs switch based on what the current endgame is. It is very possible new content mobs will call for different jobs but it is unlikely that job will be thf unless it adds TH based drop since that's pretty much all thf offers now over most DD. Unfortunately the game is getting near its end of releasing anything that will change peoples idea of what works. I wouldn't expect it or any job that doesn't drop bosses quickly to make a comeback unless they add content that makes it too hard or inefficient to do things the current way.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kiyara
Server: Siren
user: Kiyara
By Siren.Kiyara 2013-11-27 22:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I do have an exceptionally good thf imo and I've been playing the job for several years (going on 6 years I believe). 10 year veteran overall. I have led my own HNMLS for about 4 years but I've given that up do to real life and the fact I can't deal with the drama anymore (I don't miss it one bit aside the great friends that I made along the way). I can't unfortunately show my gear on ffxiah.com due to the FFXI community being down forever.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-11-27 22:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

You could always do Item Sets.
 Phoenix.Erics
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2013-11-27 22:54:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see the point of posting item sets unless you're asking about what you should upgrade. I just assume everyone is wearing what armor is meta at the moment because armor is like job selection, people only want what is most efficient till every job is wearing cookie cutter armors. The game has turned into [Bring only certain jobs, wear only this armor/weapons, and do only these things at these times.] Honestly if someone had a good enough pc they could find a way to bot an alliance because everything is so robotic these days.
 Lakshmi.Konvict
Server: Lakshmi
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2013-11-27 23:54:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Treasure Hunter for R/E/M items/cases.
 Siren.Kiyara
By Siren.Kiyara 2013-11-28 22:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I posted on the official forums for ffxi regarding thief. Pretty much similar post with some added thoughts. Any input would be appreciated as I'm sure many thieves feel like I do.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/38617-Please-fix-thief-SE.-Tired-of-being-the-joke-job-of-FFXI-for-end-game.-Job-Balance!
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-11-28 22:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

No offense, but THF has fared better throughout the various updates and content changes than many jobs. Just because some are useful now or in recent memory doesn't mean that they haven't gotten every bit of the head and shaft a dozen times.

SE is never going to make THF more than what it is.
 Odin.Spyderhawk
By Odin.Spyderhawk 2013-11-28 23:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

We use THFs in delve mostly for sac pulling boss, finding a non HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE pld that knows how to properly hold/pull and backwards tank NMs is few and far between these days. It is what it is - Only time you miss the pld is if you *** up on boss and cant properly hold it - which isnt like a big deal not like it's hardcore content with all the upgraded gear/weps.
 Siren.Kiyara
By Siren.Kiyara 2013-11-28 23:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is my current gear for my THF that I use. It's not the top of the line gear but it is solid gear imo. All Manibozho gear is rank 15 STR/Atk path.

TP Set: http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/316134

WS Set: http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/259841

Generally, I use squid sushi and yellow coeurl buns for food.
I also plan to get Buremte gloves to replace Iuitl gloves, get the full AF1+2 set, replace Twilight belt with Cetl Belt and upgrading my Mandau to level 119 while offhanding an Aphotic Kukri with rank 15 STR/Atk path. My WS build will change a bit as well when I have Mandau fully done.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-11-29 02:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Squishytaru said: »
COR have a hardon for /dnc because they don't get DW like THFs and can haste samba..
Yea, because that's the whole reason for COR/DNC, isn't it?

Even then there is no reason to sub DNC on anything serious DD situation on THF.
Yea, if there was no COR/DNC there and someone let you go on THF, I can't imagine why any alliance would ever ask you to /DNC.

Even then there is no reason to sub DNC on anything serious DD situation on THF. /dnc is the typical sign of a bad thf outside of some niche situations.
Yes, all THF who ever use /DNC must be retards. Why don't more people realize this?
 Siren.Taruina
user: zerich
By Siren.Taruina 2013-11-29 08:00:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Kiyara, your gearsets would make you a liability in Delve.
Check them and play around with the DPS spreadsheets, you'll find better solutions.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-11-29 08:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Suji said: »
Even then there is no reason to sub DNC on anything serious DD situation on THF. /dnc is the typical sign of a bad thf outside of some niche situations.
Yes, all THF who ever use /DNC must be retards. Why don't more people realize this?

Sarcasm aside, there aren't that many situations where /DNC is an improvement over /WAR unless you are really hurting for the accuracy bonus, at least in a delve ally...

Steps are really useful if you don't have anyone else in the ally that is DNC or /DNC, sambas are useful for the whole party, but the THF isn't typically going to be in a DD party.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-11-29 15:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Steps are really useful if you don't have anyone else in the ally that is DNC or /DNC, sambas are useful for the whole party, but the THF isn't typically going to be in a DD party.
yeah, exactly, although it's rare to see COR without /DNC sub now. I don't know what other party you'd put a THF in though.

THF needs a 4song BRD to compete with other jobs but in Ceizak, assuming you play aggressively, you should end up ahead of MNK and BLU in the parse, especially for the Bee itself. Job hierarchies being what they are, there isn't really a whole lot of impact to taking less optimal jobs to delve these days since the content has gotten so easy.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-11-29 15:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You're comparing a 4song THF to other jobs with what, exactly?
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-11-29 16:36:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
You're comparing a 4song THF to other jobs with what, exactly?
Uh, four songs.
 Leviathan.Syagin
Server: Leviathan
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2013-12-01 07:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, exactly, although it's rare to see COR without /DNC sub now. I don't know what other party you'd put a THF in though. THF needs a 4song BRD to compete with other jobs but in Ceizak, assuming you play aggressively, you should end up ahead of MNK and BLU in the parse, especially for the Bee itself. Job hierarchies being what they are, there isn't really a whole lot of impact to taking less optimal jobs to delve these days since the content has gotten so easy.
Damn Suji as a THF lover I would love to believe that.. but man do you think you might be reaching a little bit?
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-12-01 09:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Syagin said: »
yeah, exactly, although it's rare to see COR without /DNC sub now. I don't know what other party you'd put a THF in though. THF needs a 4song BRD to compete with other jobs but in Ceizak, assuming you play aggressively, you should end up ahead of MNK and BLU in the parse, especially for the Bee itself. Job hierarchies being what they are, there isn't really a whole lot of impact to taking less optimal jobs to delve these days since the content has gotten so easy.
Damn Suji as a THF lover I would love to believe that.. but man do you think you might be reaching a little bit?

I just posted parse on 1st page! I can even PM you the parse if you want detailed result ><
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-12-01 12:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I would rather THF become more "Thief" like and less of a DD with daggers. Why would you want another DD? I always wanted THF to be more like Riku w/mixing items and such, and being able to steal more things. Stealing defense that gives DEF down that stacks with other sources, stealing temp items that you can use to inflict a lot of dmg in different forms like piercing, blunt or magic. Or being able to use those temp items you steal to add effects to weapons to change their properties. Should have something to make it more of a unique DD while providing enhanced treasure for the group (which is what THF were always used for in previous FF games.)
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-12-01 12:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
I would rather THF become more "Thief" like and less of a DD with daggers. Why would you want another DD? I always wanted THF to be more like Riku w/mixing items and such, and being able to steal more things. Stealing defense that gives DEF down that stacks with other sources, stealing temp items that you can use to inflict a lot of dmg in different forms like piercing, blunt or magic. Or being able to use those temp items you steal to add effects to weapons to change their properties. Should have something to make it more of a unique DD while providing enhanced treasure for the group (which is what THF were always used for in previous FF games.)

In FFT you can do that, but the steal abilities has pretty low hit rate when I played it :(

It'd ended up either hard to steal the effect, or being too OP.

Mixing items is Chemist ability :)
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-12-01 12:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I think it would be cool if they mixed Chemist with Thief in this game lol. Unless they are saving it for a future expansion. It wouldn't be that overpowered if they weren't huge tbh, a 10% def down etc. You still provide something unique while also contributing with treasure hunter (which they should improve as well.)