Job Balance?
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-11-03 01:49:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
IMO WHM MNK SCH GEO COR BRD= top tier, both SAM and BLU should be good tier.

Well if we're defining "top tier" as being a job you bring to every zone regardless then MNK would be the only DD in there. Every other DD is plug-n-play based on the zone and your strategy.
 Phoenix.Zumi
Server: Phoenix
user: Zumi
By Phoenix.Zumi 2013-11-03 01:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Stuff like tanking not working for many years and will never be fixed unless there is a major overhaul to battle systems.

I never seen a group take a PLD to Tojil or any boss for that matter due to how bad tanking is broken still and SE doesn't want to fix it. Melee can tank with pretty much no downsides mobs can't really effectively kill melee making a tank a waste of a slot due to their low dps. Then we have the broken enmnity cap which everyone can still reach very easily once again rendering tanking useless when the mob is bouncing between whatever melee hit it last.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-11-03 01:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Zumi said: »
Stuff like tanking not working for many years and will never be fixed unless there is a major overhaul to battle systems.

I never seen a group take a PLD to Tojil or any boss for that matter due to how bad tanking is broken still and SE doesn't want to fix it. Melee can tank with pretty much no downsides mobs can't really effectively kill melee making a tank a waste of a slot due to their low dps. Then we have the broken enmnity cap which everyone can still reach very easily once again rendering tanking useless when the mob is bouncing between whatever melee hit it last.

You brought PLD to clear adds or hold NM's, not to actually tank stuff.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-11-03 01:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Krab and Mastop it's godly on
2 BLUs over 2 SAMs nets less than a minute gain on Krab. With a proper damage balance, BLU will never match SAM's damage on Mastop.

Quote:
and definitely one of the best for Bee.
struggles to do 60% of sam's damage on bee

Quote:
People ***on BLU because it's a hard job to play / gear for. Too many people use it as a "fun" job and don't take it seriously and thus when they are asked to play it suck horribly. Having a good BLU in your alliance makes Ceizek easy, having two makes it a complete joke.
i have every major dd geared on all 4 of my dd chars, i've never had better results with blu than sam in ceizak.. the only benefit is terroring scorpion

with good schs it's near enough stunlocked that your best case scenario is saving 2-3 earthbreakers and 20-30 seconds, and your worst case scenario is losing time because no earthbreakers went off anyway.. time that's easily made up and outstripped in the rest of the zone

situations where BLU, THF, DRK, or WAR may be the best job are marginal gains over the worst of the 5(<10% dps).. those where SAM excel are much larger(muyingwa and colkhab are over 30%..), though MNK is obviously the real winner
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-11-03 01:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Good tier is where it actually is. Unless your group really, really need that terror on scrop, but that's just my personal opinion.

Depends on the NM, the zone and the setup. Krab and Mastop it's godly on and definitely one of the best for Bee. It's ~meh~ on Tojil and Shark. The rankings of any particular job depend on the zone your doing. DNC would suck in Morimar but be outstanding in Ceizek. WAR and DRK beat SAM easily in Morimar and Foret yet fall behind in Ceizek. DRG is amazing in Ceizek yet falls behind those three in Morimar and Foret but you want one anyway case of Angon. DRK doesn't get as much of a bonus from having a DNC in the party vs everyone else. RNG is beyond godly on the Bee but lags behind everywhere else. The only job that's consistently "great" is MNK for the above stated reasons.

People ***on BLU because it's a hard job to play / gear for. Too many people use it as a "fun" job and don't take it seriously and thus when they are asked to play it suck horribly. Having a good BLU in your alliance makes Ceizek easy, having two makes it a complete joke.

Done Ceizak with and without BLU, didn't notice much difference v.s using another piercing DD tbh, besides terror on scorp makes entire alliance super happy because they no longer have to pay fully attention on scorp and can play in more relaxing mood :p It's not bad, it's just not a make or break DD job without the benefit of terror.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-11-03 01:57:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I never seen a group take a PLD to Tojil or any boss for that matter due to how bad tanking is broken still and SE doesn't want to fix it

This tells me everything I need to know about your delve experience.

Groups don't bring PLD to "tank", they use it as a puller / NM holder. The PLD's job is to go out and collect the NM's you need to fight while your engaged while deaggroing adds. PLD then holds those NM's nearby until your ready to fight the next one, its a time saver. The more "advanced" groups *cough hacking cough* send out someone, usually a RDM, from the mage PT to do this. There are also many advanced groups who prefer the safety of having a PLD as the puller in-case something ~bad~ happens and the NM's need to be held longer or something sack pulled.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-11-03 01:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

The more "advanced" groups *cough hacking cough* send out someone, usually a RDM, from the mage PT to do this.

You don't need to hack to pull and sleep mobs. Killing trash mobs is not difficult. A BRD can do this job fine, as almost all NMs can be consistantly lullabied.

You can night+troub->horde lullaby daku or muyingwa along with the adds and immediately proceed to do your rotation while your melee clear the adds, resulting in an engage immediately after songs are up with clean positioning for all your mages.. why anyone prefers pld saccing to this is beyond me
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-11-03 01:02:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Done Ceizak with and without BLU, didn't notice much difference v.s using another piercing DD tbh, besides terror on scorp makes entire alliance super happy because they no longer have to pay fully attention on scorp and can play in more relaxing mood :p It's not bad, it's just not a make or break DD job without the benefit of terror.

Then you weren't paying attention or had a really shitty BLU. Your bringing it to bypass Mastop's and the Bee's stacking DT effect. That becomes incredibly important in the final 25% of the Bee's HP as everyone else does absolute sh!t damage, even the DRG's. Ranged attacks and non-elemental completely ignore the stacking which is why SAM's use AA or Mura. It's very similar to the Krab fight where you get to a point where everyone's hitting for 0~10 yet the BLU (RNG / SAM) is still cranking out 4K WS's. Getting the Bee to 25% HP is piss easy, it's getting it the rest of the way that's hard. It's also where most shells end up timing out at.

And wow didn't know SAM's had they're own version of Pchan.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-11-03 01:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been a MNK fanboy forever, and I play every job as it becomes useful. I use 2 SAMs for foret, 3 SAMs for Ceizak, all SAMs for Colkhab or Hurkan. I use no SAMs for legion, voidwatch, tojil, anything else. I'm merely defending my original position, though that's a cute ad hominem.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-11-03 01:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
The more "advanced" groups *cough hacking cough* send out someone, usually a RDM, from the mage PT to do this.

You don't need to hack to pull and sleep mobs. Killing trash mobs is not difficult. A BRD can do this job fine, as almost all NMs can be consistantly lullabied.

You can night+troub->horde lullaby daku or muyingwa along with the adds and immediately proceed to do your rotation while your melee clear the adds, resulting in an engage immediately after songs are up with clean positioning for all your mages.. why anyone prefers pld saccing to this is beyond me

Majority of the group still find having a PLD easier, rather than use BRD RDM etc to "save a spot", unless they really can't find a PLD. Ppl tend to use easiest setup with more room for error/least skill and team work required.
 Phoenix.Zumi
By Phoenix.Zumi 2013-11-03 01:07:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I never seen a group take a PLD to Tojil or any boss for that matter due to how bad tanking is broken still and SE doesn't want to fix it

This tells me everything I need to know about your delve experience.

Groups don't bring PLD to "tank", they use it as a puller / NM holder. The PLD's job is to go out and collect the NM's you need to fight while your engaged while deaggroing adds. PLD then holds those NM's nearby until your ready to fight the next one, its a time saver. The more "advanced" groups *cough hacking cough* send out someone, usually a RDM, from the mage PT to do this. There are also many advanced groups who prefer the safety of having a PLD as the puller in-case something ~bad~ happens and the NM's need to be held longer or something sack pulled.

All the groups I have been in on my server kill everything in their path on the way to the boss, only the boss is ever sac pulled, have the mage party bard sac while rdm pulls with silence.

My first job was PLD but even I recognize it as a massive waste of DPS to bring one. It's better to kill all trash in your path adds and NMs there is no need to fight them in a special order all 5 have to die anyway. Trash mobs just melt with delve geared dps.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-11-03 01:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting the Bee to 25% HP is piss easy, it's getting it the rest of the way that's hard. It's also where most shells end up timing out at.

No it's not, even without a BLU. Or maybe you're the BLU version of Pchan.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-11-03 01:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Majority of the group still find having a PLD easier, rather than use BRD RDM etc to "save a spot", unless they really can't find a PLD. Ppl tend to use easiest setup with more room for error/least skill and team work required.

This is really important to note. The vast majority of people don't care about what the vast minority of the player base things of they're strategy, they just want a win. From the leaders point of view a win is a win and anyone who says "but your not doing it right" can go f*ck themselves. There are many things that can be done to go from 30~33m Tojil clears to 25m Tojil clears but you get the exact same reward for both and pissing off your membership isn't worth the 5m saved.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-11-03 01:16:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
Getting the Bee to 25% HP is piss easy, it's getting it the rest of the way that's hard. It's also where most shells end up timing out at.

No it's not, even without a BLU. Or maybe you're the BLU version of Pchan.

The sheer amount of posts in BG would say otherwise. Going from 25~0 is harder then from 100~25 because by then your looking at 75~87%+ -DT effect. Lots of groups time out then because they simply can't deal enough damage as it'll keep using Droning Whirlwind and stacking more -DT. Not long after this happens it'll start chasing the mages as your DD's can no longer maintain high enmity. Two known ways to deal with it are ranged damage or non-elemental damage. AA / Mura SAM, RNG or Req BLU. Mastop is similar but is based on debuffs, Req still completely ignores it.

BLU is not the best DD at all. It's a melee with a very specific purpose, to bypass -DT effects on NM's. In that regards it is the absolute best at doing so. If a NM doesn't require you bypassing -DT then you don't bring a BLU plain and simple.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-11-03 01:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranged damage still gets penalized if you use a lot of it, just fyi(unless it also has % based PDT seperate from it's penalty). It's just so obscene that it doesn't matter. You do consistant >8k apex at the start with proper buffs, and maintain over 4k until it dies even with 3 SAMs and 2 CORs making up almost 70% of the parse. A party of SAMx3 COR and a party of MNK MNK DRG COR with rotating brds can kill bee in under 3 minutes.
 Phoenix.Suji
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-11-03 01:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess the PLD thing must be pretty server specific. On Phoenix, they aren't in any boss runs I've been in (ignoring the runs at the very beginning when everyone was still learning). RDM or mage PT's BRD does it.

You guys are BST haters, btw!
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-11-03 01:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranged damage seems to be handled separately from the rest. The bee takes +100% from piercing damage so at the start all piercing is doing ridiculous amounts of damage. By the time you get to 25% melee damage is down to 10~15% of it's original value with ranged being 50% and non-elemental still being 100%. If you fight it long enough then eventually ranged damage won't be doing jack sh!t but honestly if that happens you got other issues. It's why I recommend taking one BLU and one AA SAM at a minimum, your covered for all damage types and the bee should melt. I tend to go to Foret and Ceizek as the BLU and usually parse in the top 2~3 with my only real competition being DRG's and good (read: don't f*cking miss) AA SAM's. A big part of my placement is how many WoP's I have to use to get rid of slowga.
 Phoenix.Zumi
By Phoenix.Zumi 2013-11-03 01:28:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Always done bee with 4x monk 1x drg, 1x whatever (blu to terror annoying nms, another drg or monk works good too). From 100%-25% you have monks focus on using formless have their timers reset with cor each party formless again, by the time 2nd formless is out you just finish it off with blunt damage and piercing from the drg which will have low -dt to blunt at this point since you haven't used it yet.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-11-03 01:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Two known ways to deal with it are ranged damage or non-elemental damage. AA / Mura SAM, RNG or Req BLU. Mastop is similar but is based on debuffs, Req still completely ignores it.

DRK can use req on that phase and still use GS on other NMs, SAM and COR can use ranged dmg, and SAM probably WS much faster than BLU. MNK can rotate formless/HF, then have random deal reset it then reset it 2 more times with WC and random deal. BLU is really not a must have.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-11-03 01:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Suji said: »
I guess the PLD thing must be pretty server specific. On Phoenix, they aren't in any boss runs I've been in (ignoring the runs at the very beginning when everyone was still learning). RDM or mage PT's BRD does it.

You guys are BST haters, btw!

Honestly it's mostly Morimar that it's a bit help in. And no matter what people say your not running faster then bugards without hacking. Mostly it's a safety net in case something unforeseen happens and you need someone to hold a NM or two while you fix something. We're talking random DC's or badly timed moves killing people, stuff like that.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-11-03 01:30:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
Two known ways to deal with it are ranged damage or non-elemental damage. AA / Mura SAM, RNG or Req BLU. Mastop is similar but is based on debuffs, Req still completely ignores it.

DRK can use req on that phase and still use GS on other NMs, SAM and COR can use ranged dmg, and SAM probably WS much faster than BLU. MNK can rotate formless/HF, then have random deal reset it then reset it 2 more times with WC and random deal. BLU is really not a must have.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-11-03 01:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranged damage seems to be handled separately from the rest. The bee takes +100% from piercing damage so at the start all piercing is doing ridiculous amounts of damage. By the time you get to 25% melee damage is down to 10~15% of it's original value with ranged being 50% and non-elemental still being 100%. If you fight it long enough then eventually ranged damage won't be doing jack sh!t but honestly if that happens you got other issues. It's why I recommend taking one BLU and one AA SAM at a minimum, your covered for all damage types and the bee should melt. I tend to go to Foret and Ceizek as the BLU and usually parse in the top 2~3 with my only real competition being DRG's and good (read: don't f*cking miss) AA SAM's. A big part of my placement is how many WoP's I have to use to get rid of slowga.

So calling me "not a very good BLU" in another thread but your result is about the same yourself :) BLU version of Pchan at it's finest.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-11-03 03:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-11-03 03:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

blu sucks mnk is best like its always been
[+]
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Server: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2013-11-03 03:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »

No you did not!
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-11-03 06:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

sry but no
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-11-03 06:53:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »

sry but no
Yeah, obviously SAM's the best!
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-11-03 07:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

>Not acknowledging SAM as one of the supreme, timeless overlords of FFXI
>Arguing that Blue "Jailer of Temperance will finally be beaten in under 45min" Mage is anything special

What is going on in this thread.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-11-03 07:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Regarding DNC, I think it should be kept in mind that very few jobs benefit from more than 5% haste samba and COR should be doing samba/steps to begin with.

This is the truth. The only time it's possible to rationalize bringing DNC is when you assume that their benefits won't be present without them, which is fallacious. I mean, even if none of your CORs had DNC sub, it would probably be better overall DPS to bring a MNK/DNC than to bring a DNC/WAR.
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-11-03 07:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Something Something Summoner...

I don't wanna solo things. It's an MMO. Make it relevant to play in Delve SE!
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25