Endeavoring To Awaken --A Guide To Rune Fencer

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 ... 93 94 95 ... 188 189 190
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-05-23 02:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Now that people are "used" to the paradygm of tanks actually being useful/necessary, SE should go away with the enmity scaling with ilevel thing completely, imho.
Make it fixed and make so tanks perform the same no matter the ilevel of the current target.

Just my thoughts. Not gonna happen anyway, think that would be too big/deep of a change for SE to bother.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-05-26 21:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Holding hate on VD avatars is probably not going to happen. I did a few runs with our Burt PLD recently (Aegis, Souveran +1, the works) and the two of us that were on BLU would rip hate off him every time.
I have some recent data(tiny, tiny sample) for VD Leviathan that may indicate the mob's actual level may be quite low.

Based on Aegis' blockrate, VD leviathan may only be about lvl 100. I 'm thinking they pump up the mobs stats as difficulty increases, rather than raise level.

I ran across this last night and got a good laugh--

So the NMs are just wearing ilvl gear now too, eh?

(I believe you, am not disagreeing/discounting. Just laughed)
By Ruaumoko 2016-06-01 23:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Can add Schah to the HNM you can tank with an Aettir.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Rydal
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rydal
By Ragnarok.Rydal 2016-06-07 15:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I spent the last week or so leveling and gearing RUN. I main RDM, BLU, GEO and dabble in SMN but RUN always interested me (more than SCH which was going to be my next venture). Right now I'm still gearing (just finished skilling up, doing AF/Relic and weaponskill quests) since most of my gear I just carried over from my BLU sets. I'm not anywhere near close to being able to tank useful stuff (hopefully I get to try Delve) because in group content I am always the GEO.

I am mainly interested in what Resist charm sets for super bosses later. This is the best I could come up with using a Resist build.

ItemSet 344148

Also I was told by a more experienced RUN that the only tank weapon I should consider outside Ergon is Aettir. I followed suit and immediately got one and fully augmented it. Are there other greatswords/swords I should get? I have Combuster+1/NQ and Fettering. I know Flyssa +1 helps Divine and has decent PDT. Any thoughts on Montante +1 (I have the NQ), Bidenhander, Zulqifar,or Humility? Aettir does a decent job for DD and I don't have the inventory to keep a bunch of swords that I could just use one for. Zulqifar might be the only one that I can imagine completely outdoes Aettir in terms of damage. Also, Epeolatry is a lofty goal but what about Lionheart? Worth it or don't bother (since it's pure DD)?

Finally, Ogma's cape... My RUN has very low JP so I decided to augment one since I'm enamored with RUN right now. I'm trying to limit inventory clutter as well as how often I have to do Ambuscade (or how many capes I have to make for RUN vs. another job).

From the guide as well as from advice form others, this is what I came up with:

1. STR+20, Atk/Acc+20, WSDmg+10 (for Resolution and other WS)
2. DEX+20, Atk/Acc+20, STP+10 (for TP sets)
3. HP+60, Eva/MEva+20, Enmity+10 or Fast Cast+10 (really need advice on this one because I have enmity issues right now but FC could save me a merit for Rayke)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-06-07 15:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming Escha and all DT vorseals, that set will only cap PDT if you have the Fortitude blessing active (double vorseal bonuses). Otherwise you're 2% short. If you're only wearing that set for brief periods, maybe trade in Erilaz body for Futhark and wear unmoving collar +1.

Aettir is easily our best non-Ergon tanking weapon right now. Cap-breaking PDT II -5%, a ton of meva, and 70 acc helps a bit if you're trying to fill more of a hybrid role on mid-level content. Significant upgrades in all the right places. Having a DD-oriented GS doesn't hurt, but it's also a role that RUN isn't often expected to fill. Lionheart is a massive upgrade in that department though, so it's definitely worth a look if that interests you. Having a couple of swords handy is helpful, but not as important with Aettir's renewed utility.

You want DA for Resolution, not WSD. WSD only affects the first hit of a weaponskill. Nice for Dimidiation at higher TP values (DEX/WSD is ideal there), but not so much for Resolution.

For what it's worth, my upgrade path was/is HP/meva/FC->STR/DA->DEX/STP (what I'm getting this month). I currently use Reiki Cloak for enmity (helps maintain high max HP), but I'll probably pick up an HP/enmity cape after that. That upgrade path was partly influenced by the fact that I'm almost done with Lionheart and don't often main tank at present, otherwise I'd have likely done an enmity cape second. I also have the luxury of picking up a cape for each job every month since I don't play very many jobs.

Enmity issues are complicated and depend in part on what you're fighting and how you're fighting it. If you're trying to compete with good DDs on low level or non-Adoulin/Escha/Ambuscade content (unity/htbf), that's a battle that most will eventually lose. At higher levels and/or with manaburn strategies it's a lot easier.

I would absolutely recommend 5/5 Rayke if you're using RUN in manaburn fights. The extra duration could potentially keep it up for an additional SC/MB round. I split the remaining merits between Inspiration and Battuta; there are a lot of good arguments for additional merits in both categories.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-06-07 15:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply

You might want a separate set for Resist Charm specifically, which would look something like this:

ItemSet 337634

Hearty is supposedly Resist All +5, putting this at Resist Charm +41 + whatever the ring gives (my wild guess is +5). Supposedly Tenacity at 99 is another +15, but it's not clear if it's added or multiplied with gear. Lastly, you can use Tenebrae Pflug, which I presume is +15 per rune, +1/rune for each merit, and +2 per rune for having runeist bottes +1 (again, this is speculated), for a total +66.

For a more general resist set, you'll likely want to mix and match based on your PDT options, but some notable pieces include:
- jwalamukhi ring, waterfall ring, icecrack ring, and wuji ring, all from SKCNM 10s. No idea how much they provide, however, but I'd speculate at 5%
- arete del luna +1 and NQ if you don't mind doing a Unity that nobody else wants
- mantoptera eye, one of the few Resist Amnesia items in the game. Can also get Cheer: Skormoth for another +10
- onca suit seems to max out stun resistance, and it's still possible to cap PDT while wearing it
- Random pieces with Meva or extra resistances like engraved belt, Ogma's cape (aug), warder's charm +1, erilaz greaves +1, runeist coat +1
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-06-07 16:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't Erilaz Legs provide better resistance than Runeist? No sexy +6 to all ailments, but much more Meva, so in the end they should be better, in theory?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-06-07 16:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can resist charm 100% through meva alone then yeah, take the meva. If not, I'd probably work in the +resist items. Fully resisting a debuff like charm makes life a lot easier for everyone, even if it's not guaranteed.
[+]
By Afania 2016-06-07 16:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Rydal said: »
Zulqifar might be the only one that I can imagine completely outdoes Aettir in terms of damage. Also, Epeolatry is a lofty goal but what about Lionheart? Worth it or don't bother (since it's pure DD)?

If you already have an aeonic group that spams aeonic NM every week may as well get one since it's pretty good. If you don't then I wouldn't pay 300m for it before owning an epeolatry.
 Sylph.Braden
By Sylph.Braden 2016-06-07 23:29:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there any charm that lands consistently other than Virelai?
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-06-07 23:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe Enthrall and Danse/Gala Macabre? I recall Xolotl landing charm every single time despite being 119, but I'm not certain if that's NM specific.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-06-08 01:08:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably NM-specific. Belphegor's Danse Macabre misses quite often with non-Idris Vex. I wanna say I've resisted 1 of 2 Enthralls I've seen from Schah on RUN as well w/o Vex.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-06-08 01:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never had Belphegor's charm land on my BLU with vex/attune up, and not for lack of opportunity. Schah on the other hand, not sure. We use a PUP tank for him, so not something I generally have to deal with. Enthrall is also pretty fast iirc, so you might not have time to make the swap manually.
 Ragnarok.Kanryu
user: Kanryu
By Ragnarok.Kanryu 2016-06-08 01:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Not often but I've had Fatal Fronde on Vir'ava grab me a few times through gear, but we usually don't waste time doing Vex/Attune on something that just explodes in two SCs unless it decides to charm me.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-06-08 02:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Enthrall is also pretty fast iirc, so you might not have time to make the swap manually.
I recall that Gala from Xolotl is crazy fast, but that Enthrall from Rani being slow enough to manually stun.
 Ragnarok.Rydal
user: Rydal
By Ragnarok.Rydal 2016-06-08 13:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for the advice. I changed my cape from WSDmg to DA and immediately saw an increase in damage. I switch my merits to Rayke 5/5, Battuta 3/5, Inspiration 2/5 and once my FC set is complete, I'll reduce Inspiration to 1/5.

I started working on a few different sets, including Magic Evasion.

Afania said: »
If you already have an aeonic group that spams aeonic NM every week may as well get one since it's pretty good. If you don't then I wouldn't pay 300m for it before owning an epeolatry.

Well I plan on making a Sequence before anything else. I am not interested in any other Aeonic since I don't play melee jobs usually but since I picked up RUN, if I get another roll of the dice, I'd look into Lionheart. Epeolatry is a pipe dream since I plan on making an Idris first, another pipe dream.

Also, /checkparam last night put me at about 1100 accuracy with no buffs (not in Escha areas). With no JP, I'd say that's pretty good.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2016-06-14 18:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi all, started playing with RUN lately and it's slowly getting geared up and ready for prime time. However, I have two questions for you all:

1. I'm trying to get a drop from Azi Dahaka, and the *** keeps terrorizing me for up to 60 seconds at a time. What element is terror? I've been using Unda on him because he's a fire dragon. I know that Barpetra protects against terror, but it also protects against stun so that doesn't necessarily mean terror is earth-based and Barstone+Barpetrify were doing nothing to help my terror durations. Any advice for tanking that stupid dragon would be much appreciated.

2. The Embolden bonus on Evasionist's Cape, when does it need to be equipped? When I use Embolden, or in the midcast of the spell I'm emboldening?

Bonus question: Do you actually use Embolden, and if so, when?

Thanks!
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-06-14 18:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

1) I believe there are some enfeebles such as Wyrms' Absolute Terror's Terror and Yggdreants' Tiiiimber's Doom that flat out can not be resisted without special means like Screens.

2) Midcast.

I tend to use my Embolden on Protect.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-06-14 19:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

My LS mates tell me that terror is the same general effect as petrify. As such you'd want to flabra and barstone/barpetrify for terror.

And you can resist the duration at the least. I can often have 15s terror, not 60s, from dragons with vex up. I don't generally farm them on RUN so maybe I could outright resist the whole thing, dunno.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-06-14 19:46:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, you can get shorter Terror duration on Absolute Terror, but I don't think it's exactly the same as "partial resists" normal enfeebles have, but rather a randomly picked duration out of a few specific durations. At least I know while I go Zeni farming, Nauls have never once missed their Absolute Terror. Should be missing a majority of the time if it was resistable.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-06-14 19:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Not all terrors are the same, and you won't completely resist Absolute Terror without either Founder's Greaves or a lucky Occasionally Ignores Damage Vorseal proc. You can, however, avoid it by fighting it from the back, though you'll probably get a lot of people killed if they're not using healy trusts.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2016-06-14 21:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool thanks for the tips, I was afraid there'd be no avoiding it. Definitely not tanking from the rear though, I've been on the receiving end of that and it's not very nice. :)
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-06-15 02:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Llewelyn are you sure about that?
As far as I know the "embolden" augment cape (Evasionist's cape) only needs to be equipped when you use the Embolden JA to receive the reduction in the lasting time, and not being equipped midcast when you're receiving the enhancing spell?
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-06-15 02:29:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Tested before posting. Popped JA w/o cape equipped, equipped cape and casted spell. Went 5+ mins to 6+ mins on Barfire.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-06-15 02:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Then probably I'm at fault here because I might have Evasionist's cape in my idle set.
Thanks for clarifying that btw.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2016-06-15 05:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bit late but don't forget about Flawless Ribbon for Resist Status gear.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-06-15 05:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Chiaia Flawless Ribbon is non-ilevel
 Asura.Darvamos
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Darvamos 2016-06-15 05:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Chiaia Flawless Ribbon is non-ilevel

If we assume ring & earring are 5% then we should assume ribbon is 5% too. On charm moves that meva alone aren't stopping the charm it worth it to swap for a second unless of course you also dealing with a bunch of adds which normally isn't the case for a RUN anyway.

Any thing other then charm I 100% agree I wouldn't swap to a non ilvl item.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-06-15 05:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Has it even been tested that resistance to status ailments works agaisnt Charm? And if so against all forms?
And having a script swap your head for a different set whenever a "Mob readies charm on you" is intercepted in the chat packets is slow and risky.

It's quite a big loss to swap to that piece.
You lose DT (in case you can't recover it in other slots), VIT, INT, MND, CHR, Meva, Eva, Def, HP and much else, all of which contributes in one way or another to mitigate physical and magical damage, enmity retention and last but not least chance of debuffs to stick.

I dunno, I have no numbers to say with absolute certainty it wouldn't be effective, but I'm at the very least quite skeptic on its practical use in real contexts against stuff that matters.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-06-15 05:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's only +2 resist-all.
First Page 2 3 ... 93 94 95 ... 188 189 190