Endeavoring To Awaken --A Guide To Rune Fencer

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 ... 59 60 61 ... 188 189 190
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-09-06 13:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Battuta:

1. Doesn't stack with Spikes.
2. Does increase in potency if mob is weak to active Runes and the day is same element as active Runes.

Delve 2 Bosses:

1. If you are using a ranger strategy you can hold hate on anything. This is mainly due to Decoy Shot.
2. As long as you have Pro/Shell Valiant/Valliance up; you shouldn't have to much troubles.
3. Uthux can be a real pain to tank on Rune.

Feet:

1. Iuitl+1 can get you interesting augments like PDT/MDT -4 and DA+2 if you are exceptionally lucky.
2. Futhark Boots/+1 are great when Battuta is active.
3. Qaaxo Bs are decent but not really necessary.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-09-06 13:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing about Utkux is that all his moves are ice-based, except for one of his melee attacks. Wearing a full MDT/MDB/ice resist/magic evasion with things like Shadow Ring and Engulfer Cape make his regular attacks consistently do very minimal damage, even his weapon skills.

I love the Engulfer Cape, it's so bad
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-09-06 13:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

So is Liement:

was at near full HP so it was minimal.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-09-06 13:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I really, really, really, really wish Liement was longer and not mutually exclusive from Valiance and Vallation.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-09-06 13:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Well luckily it doesn't cancel out the Fast Cast effect and it's easy to replace after an absorb since they're on separate timers.

But yeah Liement is way too short even with the extra 3 seconds from Futhark. Hope they make a JP category that lets us add 10s to the duration in the near future. Though I am liking my recently capped Swipe/Lunge effect.
[+]
By SeekerStar 2014-09-06 15:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard Liement can eat Discoid from that Abyssea chariot, but damn the timing of it due to Liement's ick duration.

Futhark +1 feet are my next upgrade, so it's nice to know that they won't be useless. I'm not really feeling the Futhark hands +1 very much, though. Umuthi has that acc and higher PDT, and Runeist +1 has its useful benefits.

Thanks for the answers, guys :D
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-09-06 16:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, Umuthi is the way to go, and even before that the Buremte Gloves are pretty impressive and can get -4% PDT augment.

The thing about Liement is, it's so short you can pretty much only use it when there's a slow WS or spell being cast, unless you get lucky or the enemy's regular attacks are elemental. Not sure why they haven't thought to address it in some manner.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-09-06 16:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The Futhark hands +1 are great for WSs and the +5 tic on Swordplay though. It's pretty much a macro only piece.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2014-09-06 17:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

All I have left to upgrade is the feet and legs, then all my rune fencer gear will be 119. So I will likely go for the feet first... when I get the gil to afford mats :s
By Leaden 2014-09-06 18:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The Futhark hands are very nice for Swordplay indeed. However, for 11 STR and 35 DEX seem to be decent for Resolution and Dimidiation, I would personally use Buramente Gloves for Dimidiation since you can put some more DEX and a PDT/MDT augment onto them if you have the Hurkan KI. Plus, the Buramente have nice ACC on them, which will definitely help your RUN and other jobs being able to hit the target.

For Resolution, I'm not really sure what to use, I guess if you wanted to you can put STR on the WKR gloves which adds 17 STR total, and that's pretty nice. I've had people use the Boor Bracelets for the 20 STR, but those aren't 119 which kinda sucks. But it depends on what you would wanna put on those hands, you could just use the Futhark +1 just for Swordplay and use Buramente for Dimi, and Futhark +1 for Reso, or Bura for Reso, and Futhark/Bura (SInce they both have the same DEX, but one of them is 119)
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2014-09-06 20:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Concerning the Delve2 bosses it kinda depends on your strategies.
RUN is an awesome tank for Marjami runs (following the RNG strategy).
I've tanked it flawlessly and I'm certainly not a particularly skilled RUN.
If I can do it ANYBODY can do it.

Kinda same thing for Uktux, if you're using the RNG strategy (it usually involves 1 or 2 PLDs to tank) then RUN can perfectly be one of those tanks.

For Tree I dunno, I've only see melee-burn strategies and RUN there uhm... it could be a DD with low damage that also brings some utility to the party (in the form of Valiance) but honestly I'm not sure it would be particularly better than many other options there.
 Valefor.Lisamarie
Server: Valefor
user: Kej
By Valefor.Lisamarie 2014-09-06 21:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Concerning the Delve2 bosses it kinda depends on your strategies.
RUN is an awesome tank for Marjami runs (following the RNG strategy).
I've tanked it flawlessly and I'm certainly not a particularly skilled RUN.
If can do it ANYBODY can do it.

Kinda same thing for Uktux, if you're using the RNG strategy (it usually involves 1 or 2 PLDs to tank) then RUN can perfectly be one of those tanks.

For Tree I dunno, I've only see melee-burn strategies and RUN there uhm... it could be a DD with low damage that also brings some utility to the party (in the form of Valiance) but honestly I'm not sure it would be particularly better than many other options there.

imho, for tree, I'd rather just go with SAM GEO RDM BRD WHM. Fill the last slot with another SAM, BRD, COR. SAM pretty much needs tsurumaru. I wouldn't waste a slot on RUN there :\
 Asura.Echandra
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2014-09-06 21:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

late chiming in, but all the delve 2.0 don't take much to tank, just a little practice, some pdt/mdt and dive in.

Tree, I'd rather be on some other DD, but if I go run, then the others are drk brd cor whm sch or blm. The only issue is if it uses root of the problem and takes...oh iunno Souleater.

Utkux I don't know why people stand there and eat most of his TP moves. You can essentially run from just about everything. Sure there might be those few times that bind or something catches you, but still a cakewalk.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-09-07 05:34:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbh Uktux is not a big deal even if you eat his TP moves, if you're using the RNG strategy.
The problem with that strategy is kinda doing 5nm+MB, because it's kinda a mess to kill all NMs with such a setup.
By FaeQueenCory 2014-09-07 07:21:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Leaden said: »
The Futhark hands are very nice for Swordplay indeed. However, for 11 STR and 35 DEX seem to be decent for Resolution and Dimidiation, I would personally use Buramente Gloves for Dimidiation since you can put some more DEX and a PDT/MDT augment onto them if you have the Hurkan KI. Plus, the Buramente have nice ACC on them, which will definitely help your RUN and other jobs being able to hit the target.

For Resolution, I'm not really sure what to use, I guess if you wanted to you can put STR on the WKR gloves which adds 17 STR total, and that's pretty nice. I've had people use the Boor Bracelets for the 20 STR, but those aren't 119 which kinda sucks. But it depends on what you would wanna put on those hands, you could just use the Futhark +1 just for Swordplay and use Buramente for Dimi, and Futhark +1 for Reso, or Bura for Reso, and Futhark/Bura (SInce they both have the same DEX, but one of them is 119)
Honestly.... I REALLY don't understand how people are so hung up on 100% 119....
ESPECIALLY for WSs... I mean, I'm not saying full 109: have at it.... But performance wise, there's not gonna be any noticeable difference between Buremte (with 4PDT) and the Delve version.
Buremte even has more acc which makes it arguably better for WSs... And even TP/idle!
I just don't understand why everyone is suddenly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE about iLvs.... +40 is +40, it's a WS... You're only gonna be wearing it for 2s... If even!
We didn't have this level of stupid in the 75 or 99 eras... People would even WS or even TP in 75 era gear!!
And when it comes to 115+ the drop in defensive stats during a WS is a whogivesafuck thing...
I mean, if you're willing to drop X PDT during a WS, why are you so bothered by dropping 119s???

I just don't get it.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2014-09-07 12:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have a hangup about full 119 ilvl EXCEPT for pieces that are a notable improvement over their lower ilvl counterparts.

Thaumas, in my opinion, is one of the better TP bodies and it sure isn't ilvl.

A weapon should be 119 if you intend to be able to hit endgame content on any job, but honestly I have seen rangers hit just as well using Eminent Bow, and that is accessible to anyone.

Most ilvl gear is mainly stat vomit, with maybe useful addons.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-09-07 15:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
Honestly.... I REALLY don't understand how people are so hung up on 100% 119....
ESPECIALLY for WSs... I mean, I'm not saying full 109: have at it.... But performance wise, there's not gonna be any noticeable difference between Buremte (with 4PDT) and the Delve version.
Buremte even has more acc which makes it arguably better for WSs... And even TP/idle!
I just don't understand why everyone is suddenly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE about iLvs.... +40 is +40, it's a WS... You're only gonna be wearing it for 2s... If even!
We didn't have this level of stupid in the 75 or 99 eras... People would even WS or even TP in 75 era gear!!
And when it comes to 115+ the drop in defensive stats during a WS is a whogivesafuck thing...
I mean, if you're willing to drop X PDT during a WS, why are you so bothered by dropping 119s???

I just don't get it.
You're right, when it comes down to it, Buremte (with PDT augments) and Umuthi are close enough that it won't make much of a difference. The beauty of getting Umuthi is that you can change your Buremte augments to focus on a WS. Pretty sure STR/DEX augmented Buremte are the best hands for Resolution/Dimidiation respectively (more so for Dimidiation since missing that first hit absolutely ruins your damage). Qaaxo (B) are pretty close to STR Buremte though, but I personally think Airlixir gear is not worth the money.

Bahamut.Seekerstar said: »
Thaumas, in my opinion, is one of the better TP bodies and it sure isn't ilvl.
I'd like to give more credit to Thaumas Coat, but one of my friends uses it constantly on BLU and is regularly getting creamed by aoe damage or anytime he should have to pull hate or fight an enemy solo.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2014-09-07 16:39:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
I'd like to give more credit to Thaumas Coat, but one of my friends uses it constantly on BLU and is regularly getting creamed by aoe damage or anytime he should have to pull hate or fight an enemy solo.
My basic AM3 up TP set uses Lancer body, and Rancorous mantle, and I don't die very much. If a BLU(who should have cocoon up) is dying that much, there's probably more to it than just using thaumas body.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2014-09-07 18:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, from all my whm friends, I hear they hate DDs that use Thaumas in endgame melee because it makes them MP sponges. :)
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-09-07 18:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I noticed there isnt a Dimidiation set posted on the first page.
So what would be the best set up for the WS?

I've been getting pretty satisfactory results with this:
Code
ammo="Ginsen",
head="Whirlpool Mask"
neck="Light Gorget"
ear1="Moonshade Earring"
ear2="Brutal Earring"
body="Dread Jupon"
hands="Futhark Mitons +1"
ring1="Rajas Ring"
ring2="Epona's Ring",
back="Atheling Mantle"
waist="Windbuffet Belt"
legs="Quiahuiz Trousers"
feet="Futhark Boots +1"

The Quiahuiz is augmented with STR+8, been debating about adding Uk'uxkaj with STR+8 and Buremte with either DEX/STR +8.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-09-07 20:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Capping accuracy on Dimidiation is kind of a big deal since the ftp modifier is only for the first hit. Very unsatisfying to dish out a 3000% TP Dimidiation that does as much damage as your regular attacks.
[+]
By Lyncath 2014-09-08 02:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Seekerstar said: »
Well, from all my whm friends, I hear they hate DDs that use Thaumas in endgame melee because it makes them MP sponges. :)

This is true. If you use lower level iLv gear or no iLv gear at all then you really notice the damage taken difference. Thaumas Coat is still neat but I prefer Qaaxo Harness. Missing the QA but still has some DA, TA, Att, higher iLv and stat-vomit.
By Voren 2014-09-08 02:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

There's enough varied gear out now that most things pre SoA are situational, this includes thaumas gear. The body is great, it was my first NNI piece, but you should probably swap it out when doing higher tier runs.

Giving up 4%QA shouldn't hurt the parse too much especially if you're getting brd/cor buffs.
 Bismarck.Ranthozyk
Server: Bismarck
user: Ranthozyk
By Bismarck.Ranthozyk 2014-09-12 23:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Soooo this is a thing.

The augments available on this thing are really good. I still feel like the hq engulfer cape is better for incoming magic damage, but otherwise if you can score something like this that's really amazing. I just got one tonight, but it only had 2 DA and 3 enmity.
By FaeQueenCory 2014-09-12 23:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

L0L "only got 2DA and 3enmity"... I remember when +15acc and +3DA was top gearing for a back piece.
XD

Those augments... Are... Simply to die for... The embolden is just kinda meh... But 5DT?? That'll open up a LOT of gearing situations to cap PDT...
And I disagree, Ranthozyk, on account that RUN needs MDT like a legless man needs shoes...
The magic absorb is neat... But -8%PDT? MUCH more useful to RUN.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-09-13 00:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Those augments have me spamming Incursion. I've been 5% short of the PDT cap (well, 15% since I've had awful luck with KB), and I really didn't want to change my setup.

As for the Engulfer Cape, I'm content with the NQ, though I'll probably grab the HQ at some point just because. Engulfer is definitely my preferred cape for magic oriented enemies like Hurkan and Ouryu (flying).
By Leaden 2014-09-13 01:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I am goin to do Incursion till get a similar cape like that!!
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-09-13 07:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Mollusca Mantle exists so nothing else really beat that previously. Getting DT-5 on top of PDT-3, that would be pretty epic.

RUN caps MDT so easily with shell V that it's not much of a consideration, MDB has become far more important due to dangerous boss's having apparently insane MAB. I really don't like how random they are though, kinda feel cheap that your slaved to the RNG god again.

As far as Thaumas vs iLevel discussion, its about more then raw defense. Your basically giving the NM free fSTR, dDEX, dINT and not using MDB. It's rarely worth it to go with Thaumas on anything dangerous.
[+]
 Leviathan.Mckeag
Server: Leviathan
user: Tajinjr
By Leviathan.Mckeag 2014-09-19 14:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you unlock the ws Dimidiation without having to obtain Epeolatry?

Edit: Nvm, for some reason BG didn't have anything on it but here ya go.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Rune_Fencing_the_Night_Away
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-09-20 06:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
only spells you really need for /BLU are:

Cocoon
Jettatura
Blank Gaze
Geist Wall
Sheep Song
Cursed Sphere
Sound Blast
Uppercut
Battle Dance
Grand Slam
Terror Touch
Wild Carrot
Pollen

cocoon, hate spells, magic attack bonus, attack bonus, defense bonus, and uh... resist sleep because there's really nothing else to put on there.
Anybody still agrees with this list?
Any useless Job Trait from there?
Was trying to make space for Refueling.
First Page 2 3 ... 59 60 61 ... 188 189 190