New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
First Page 2 3 ... 152 153 154 ... 262 263 264
By Verda 2017-01-25 12:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Mandau is cheaper but the lowest performing of the RMEA weapon choices, that doesn't make it bad, but a lot of people would rather not spend 160mil on it and do all the trials when you could spend 300mil for a top choice. It's still one of the top 5 daggers but if that's worth it is up to you.

That said, modified my spreadsheet to include the 20% triple attack damage. If someone wants to verify it's % and not base damage that'd be great.

Here's the files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/83q4ryw51rdrq/DPS_Spreadsheets_and_Gearswap
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2017-01-25 13:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

A friend asked me about whether or not it would be worth finishing Mandau (at 99), and my response was that it depends if they intend to make any of the other 3 big daggers. It's still a very powerful weapon, and ultimately your performance will depend on your playstyle and strategy. Here's the basic rundown of how they compare:

• MANDAU: Most well rounded of the daggers. This gives it the lowest potential (but not tremendously so), while also never having a situation where it suffers terribly. Easiest to use, and for some, to make.

• VAJRA: Performance depends on opportunistic WSing. Excellent WS/SC flexibility by enhancing Mandalic Stab to compete with/outperform Rudra's. Less practical if you can't use SA/TA reliably (ie: solo). Prettiest.

• TWASHTAR: Entirely dependent on AM3, and without it, it becomes the worst of the 4. High rate of triple attack is key. Also best offhand dagger for the other 3, and those that can will make it for this reason alone.

• AENEAS: Like Vajra, though I'd say it's about aggressive WS use (primarily Rudra's). Consistently holding TP hurts this dagger. You really should make one if you can, because free.

About Vajra vs Aeneas-- The key takeaway is that they function similarly but edge each other out depending on the strategy: If you are more opportunistic and/or cooperative with WSing, Vajra should perform better. If you are more aggressive and/or independent, Aeneas.
[+]
 Odin.Taffy
Server: Odin
user: Taffy
By Odin.Taffy 2017-01-25 13:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
A friend asked me about whether or not it would be worth finishing Mandau (at 99), and my response was that it depends if they intend to make any of the other 3 big daggers. It's still a very powerful weapon, and ultimately your performance will depend on your playstyle and strategy. Here's the basic rundown of how they compare:

• MANDAU: Most well rounded of the daggers. This gives it the lowest potential (but not tremendously so), while also never having a situation where it suffers terribly. Easiest to use, and for some, to make.

• VAJRA: Performance depends on opportunistic WSing. Excellent WS/SC flexibility by enhancing Mandalic Stab to compete with/outperform Rudra's. Less practical if you can't use SA/TA reliably (ie: solo). Prettiest.

• TWASHTAR: Entirely dependent on AM3, and without it, it becomes the worst of the 4. High rate of triple attack is key. Also best offhand dagger for the other 3, and those that can will make it for this reason alone.

• AENEAS: Like Vajra, though I'd say it's about aggressive WS use (primarily Rudra's). Consistently holding TP hurts this dagger. You really should make one if you can, because free.

About Vajra vs Aeneas-- The key takeaway is that they function similarly but edge each other out depending on the strategy: If you are more opportunistic and/or cooperative with WSing, Vajra should perform better. If you are more aggressive and/or independent, Aeneas.

I like this rundown - I have Aeneas and was thinking of making Vajra but decided with Aeneas main hand I would make a twash for offhand. Just waiting for the next VW event to get it done.

On a side note - talking about daggers - I have been offhanding Shijo path D and love it but seriously considering trying out the upgraded version of the wind kukuri from the bird. Back in the day - and I'm talking way back in the day - Persuers harpe and Sirroco Kukuri was a killer combination - these days with the understanding of haste and delay and the fact DW/Haste is so readily available is it stupid to consider offhanding the jugo +1 and being able to switch out some gear haste or DW for more attack based pieces? I'm thinking it probably is with the fact that were swapping sets for WS anyway just a thought?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-01-25 16:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you're giving Mandau too much credit. It's a solid overall dagger if:

-You keep aftermath up, which involves using a weaker WS.
-You don't need accuracy.

So say if you're farming torques in sky, then sure, Mandau is great! WS damage isn't a concern and you're just slicing and dicing things. But on any sustained DPS content? The lack of accuracy is eh, aftermath involves a weaker WS usage (and we can pair so well with a COR for Leaden) and much of our overall damage comes from WS's and WS spam, my 400 damage melee swings critting for 700 isn't as big of a deal as pumping out another 30k Rudra's.

And I know we get into this fight every so often, but Aeneas' TP bonus is roughly Mandalic+30% so unless you're WSing at above 2250 TP it can roughly compete with Vajra while allowing you to use all other WS at enhanced rates as well.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2017-01-25 17:15:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The only combat use I've found for Mandau is the first 30 seconds of Tenzen popping his Yaegasumi
[+]
By Verda 2017-01-26 13:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
but Aeneas' TP bonus is roughly Mandalic+30% so unless you're WSing at above 2250 TP it can roughly compete with Vajra while allowing you to use all other WS at enhanced rates as well.

Well, I agree with both you and Jean but different parts if that matters. If you look at the spreadsheet, Aeneas unstacked rudra beats Vajra unstacked Rudra, but their DPS is nearly equal. They also both hold TP to different values and AM3 Vajra builds tp faster. They're nearly equal dps because stacked Vajra beats stacked Aeneas WS. How much which one pulls ahead will depend on how much value you get out of skillchains for each. If you're in a party where you're closing stacked skillchains with Vajra then it is certainly going to pull ahead outside maybe closing umbra. The extra damage from unstacked that aeneas gets adds up to about the extra dmg from stacked that vajra gets, so if you just skillchain everything then it ends up about equal too, though I'd give edge to Aeneas in this due to aftermath 10% skillchain bonus but maybe not as you need to use exenterator to gain it. Vajra can strongly close light too. I don't think either can be said is better than the other because the situations each excels at are different. Vajra for things like Erinys and closing big skillchains with others, and Aeneas for solo multistep skillchains or closing umbra.
[+]
 Odin.Ewellina
user: colway
By Odin.Ewellina 2017-01-27 05:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

looking for an up to date evisceration set with detailed augs please thanks
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2017-01-28 16:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having a hard time believing that Canny Cape is the best option we have for a DW replacement at the moment. Can someone run the Haverton Ring through spreadsheet and check that? I think it's a mistake to give up that 10 store tp on back.
By Verda 2017-01-28 17:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Use the Reiki Yotai if no adhemar body, the updated spreadsheet lists toutatis's cape is ahead if you include triple attack damage. I didn't check haverton but that may be the better option if you can afford haverton in your set vs other ring options.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2017-01-28 20:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, but I'm specifically asking about the Haverton ring compared to the other options we have.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-02-02 06:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Thanks, but I'm specifically asking about the Haverton ring compared to the other options we have.

Likely the best option aside from Reiki belt would be a herc DW+5 boot augment or haverton ring. I like Vocane ring too much to give up, so the haverton isn't an option for me. Likewise, we could /DNC and Haste samba, could we not? I'm almost always /RUN but my COR likes to come /DNC to Omen and use haste samba so I could /war and take advantage of it all.
 Shiva.Brisk
Server: Shiva
user: Lowell
By Shiva.Brisk 2017-02-03 19:16:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Just started playing again recently, and decided to level THF as my first job on my new character. Could I get some suggestions on what kind of gear I should aim for next with what I currently have?

http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Asura/Creepshow
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2017-02-03 19:44:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Brisk said: »
Just started playing again recently, and decided to level THF as my first job on my new character. Could I get some suggestions on what kind of gear I should aim for next with what I currently have?

http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Asura/Creepshow

Reisen gear > Ambuscade gear > Omen gear

Not to say all ambuscade gear is better than all reisen gear, etc; you'll need to pick and choose accordingly. If you got some gil, hq wristbands are still pretty good. Body is also good unless some group lets you leech an omen body off of them.

And I think I'll try /dnc haste samba for awhile, see how I like it. Feels like a pain in the butt, but could be worth it.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2017-02-03 23:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Well that was incredibly obnoxious. If you're fighting a single enemy, then sure. If you have to run from enemy to enemy or constantly turn due to absorb gimmicks, that really decreases the usefulness of haste samba.

It's only a 3TA (and 4-5 acc) gain when using this body. To get the remaining DW, if you're replacing belt, you're gaining 1TA/4 store tp in exchange for 2QA. If you're replacing ring, you're gain 1TA for the price of 1 crit rate and 5TA damage. If you go the back route, you gain 3TA for the price of 10store tp. None of these are really that much of a clear improvement. Some of these sound definitively worst, so I'm surprised it's coming out ahead on the spreadsheet.

I'm tempted to just stick to the adhemar+1 and write a rule that switches to pillager+1 whenever haste samba is up.
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2017-02-04 04:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

is the first post being updated/maintained anymore? i am maining mnk but having recently jumped on thf again to mess about, think ive fallen in love with it again xD

so was looking for an up to date set guide pn what i should go for :)

Also i get Mandau is useless now (real shame my only relic) but i keep hearing Twash is also not good any more? So what is?

thanks
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-02-04 04:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

You heard wrong about Twash. I cannot think of any situation where I wouldn't be using it in mainhand or offhand.
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
Server: Leviathan
user: kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2017-02-04 06:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a preferred non REMA off-hand for using Aeonic main-hand?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-02-04 06:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kingkitt said: »
Is there a preferred non REMA off-hand for using Aeonic main-hand?

Taming Sari is all around awesome.
By Boshi 2017-02-09 13:15:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Shijo D is also a good option. If your Taming Sari isn't perfect it's almost always better if you adjust your dw correctly.
 Odin.Evilsub
user: evilsub
By Odin.Evilsub 2017-02-10 16:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

So is Haverton Ring +1 gonna be the new DW piece to have? Curious as to how this competes with our other options. I dont know if I am fond of loosing one of my rings for a DW only ring though.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2017-02-10 17:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends.

Do you think 1TA and a small amount of str/dex/acc is worth losing 1 crit rate, 5 TA damage and the ability to use the wsd+4 ring for your WSs?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-02-12 01:31:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends.

Do you think 1TA and a small amount of str/dex/acc is worth losing 1 crit rate, 5 TA damage and the ability to use the wsd+4 ring for your WSs?

Stop, I like my vocane, I don't want to be tempted to get the WSD ring, ugh.
[+]
 Sylph.Ice
user: Ice
By Sylph.Ice 2017-02-17 03:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Depends.

Stop, I like my vocane, I don't want to be tempted to get the WSD ring, ugh.

Vocane master race. Keep it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Ephexis
Server: Cerberus
user: Ephexis
By Cerberus.Ephexis 2017-03-01 18:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Had a look but can't find anything. Are there any current -DT sets to aim for?

I've been doing some Gin's and, although clearing, had a few issues with existing for things like Interference that I'd like to improve on.
 Sylph.Ice
user: Ice
By Sylph.Ice 2017-03-01 18:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Ephexis said: »
Had a look but can't find anything. Are there any current -DT sets to aim for?

I've been doing some Gin's and, although clearing, had a few issues with existing for things like Interference that I'd like to improve on.

You can do something like:

Herculean Helm
Loricate Torque +1
Telos Earring
Cessance(Suppanomimi/Digni. Earring)
Ashera Harness(Meghanda +1/Emet +1)
Herculean Gloves
Vocane Ring
Defending Ring
Solemnity Cape
Flume Belt
Herculean Trousers(Meghanada +1)
Herculean Boots

All Herculean with DT augments.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-03-01 21:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

My current DT sets:

sets.defense.PDT = {ammo="Inlamvuyeso",
head=DThead,neck="Loricate Torque +1",ear1="Genmei Earring",ear2="Odnowa Earring +1",
body="Pillager's Vest +3",hands=DThands,ring1="Vocane Ring",ring2="Defending Ring",
back="Xucau mantle",waist="Flume Belt +1",legs="Mummu Kecks +1",feet=DTfeet}

sets.defense.MDT = {ammo="Yamarang",
head="Pillager's Bonnet +3",neck="Warder's Charm +1",ear1="Sanare Earring",ear2="Eabani Earring",
body="Pillager's Vest +3",hands="Kurys Gloves",ring1="Purity Ring",ring2="Defending Ring",
back=FCback,waist="Engraved Belt",legs="Mummu Kecks +1",feet="Jute Boots +1"}

DThead and DTfeet are augmented herculean.

I just use Indi-vex and my higher meva TP set and survive Interference just fine, though:

sets.engaged.DAMidAcc = {ammo="Yamarang",
head="Skulker's Bonnet +1",neck="Combatant's Torque",ear1="Sherida Earring",ear2="Telos Earring",
body="Pillager's Vest +3",hands="Adhemar Wristbands +1",ring1="Epona's Ring",ring2="Chirich Ring +1",
back=STPback,waist="Reiki Yotai",legs="Pillager's Culottes +3",feet=TPfeet}
By Boshi 2017-03-02 00:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

sets.defense.PDT = {ammo="Staunch Tathlum",
head=DThead,neck="Loricate Torque +1",ear1="Sherida Earring",ear2="Digni. Earring",
body="Ashera Harness",hands=DThands,ring1="Patricius Ring",ring2="Defending ring",
back="Agema Cape",waist="Reiki Yotai",legs=DTlegs,feet=DTfeet}

sets.defense.MDT = {ammo="Staunch Tathlum",
head="Dampening Tam",neck="Warder's Charm +1",ear1="Eabani Earring",ear2="Sanare Earring",
body="Ashera Harness",hands="Adhemar Wristbands",ring1="Shadow Ring",ring2="Defending Ring",
back=STPback,waist="Engraved Belt",legs=DTlegs,feet=DTfeet}

DThead={ name="Herculean Helm", augments={'Accuracy+30','Damage taken-3%','MND+10','Attack+14',}}
DThands={ name="Herculean Gloves", augments={'Damage taken-4%','STR+1','Accuracy+5','Attack+13',}}
DTlegs={ name="Herculean Trousers", augments={'Accuracy+18 Attack+18','Damage taken-4%','DEX+9','Accuracy+10',}}
DTfeet={ name="Herculean Boots", augments={'Accuracy+29','"Dual Wield"+1','Damage taken-1%','Accuracy+17 Attack+17',}}

Mine are similar. I got very luck with the body tho so there needs to be some substitution there. I haven't been on ambuscade on thf that much maybe only about a week's worth but on Gin I think we also just vexed and it was alright.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-03-07 14:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

what merits thf using these days?
By geigei 2017-03-07 14:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
what merits thf using these days?

Is there a job thread where you didnt asked this question?
First Page 2 3 ... 152 153 154 ... 262 263 264