Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » PS3 Limitations
PS3 Limitations
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Valefor.Shadowgabriel
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Shadowgabriel 2009-06-10 17:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL ps3 fanboys come outa the woodwork.... PUP>PS3 and it will be on xbox, microsoft dump a few mil on SE and woo but f it PC Ftw and megalolz at the ps3 supercomputer! Oh breaking news ain't such tying as a teraflop strange the ***console creators make up...
[+]
 Siren.Narayan
Server: Siren
user: Narayan
By Siren.Narayan 2009-06-10 17:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadowgabriel said:
LOL ps3 fanboys come outa the woodwork.... PUP>PS3 and it will be on xbox, microsoft dump a few mil on SE and woo but f it PC Ftw and megalolz at the ps3 supercomputer! Oh breaking news ain't such tying as a teraflop strange the ***console creators make up...

can someone translate this.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-10 17:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Narayan said:
Shadowgabriel said:

can someone translate this.

"I do not like the PS3 console, I much prefer the Xbox 360. Also, a teraflop is not a real thing."

I think.
[+]
 Ifrit.Thunderz
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-06-10 17:31:17
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Shadowgabriel said:
LOL ps3 fanboys come outa the woodwork.... PUP>PS3 and it will be on xbox, microsoft dump a few mil on SE and woo but f it PC Ftw and megalolz at the ps3 supercomputer! Oh breaking news ain't such tying as a oteraflp strange the ***console creators make up...

LoL im making fun of Ps3 fanboys

anything > PUP

Microsoft has a lot of monez

PC is made of win

Making fun of Ps3 again

and bewbs
 Bahamut.Nomadikhan
Server: Bahamut
user: Nomad
By Bahamut.Nomadikhan 2009-06-10 17:39:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Leonelf said:
PS3 is a super computer don't expect it to be outdated in the next 5 or 7 years

That's what they said about the atari in 85...
and the commodore 64...
and the odyssey...
the odyssey 2...
and pretty much every other PC/game system...

It's already outdated, yes it is. Publicy availible super PC no it's still current, but privately.. Japan has already been testing a new fiber optics cable that can send 16 terabytes of data a second. A processor that can handle recieving that amount of data every second imo surpasses that tall black box.

Further it's been estimated that by 2049 a $1000 PC will surpass the computational limit of the human brain. This meaning that by the time you could add 2 + 2 your PC would have already hacked into the government's network at least once.

So I suppose til that date comes, Human Brain > PC > PS3 > Failbox360
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-06-10 17:53:57
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

All I have to say to this thread topic is: /doubt

It's an initial system release. The only bandwagon hop on mistake could be the 360 and even then I'm sure it has plenty of capacity to make this game successful for years to come with little to no compensation or compromise required.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-11 07:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally would like to see it either not on the 360, or a graphically dumbed down version released for 360, PS3 and PC both outstrip the Xbox easily. If you don't have a newer pc, then setting the game to ***resolution and graphic settings should, and probably will, still allow you to play fine.

Thunderz said:
Hardware dev. is nice now can we get some damn software that actually use this damn new techno stuff T.T

anyways Ps3 fan boys off your high horses

PC in 2~ years will probably out class the ps3 by a HUGE amount and then the limitation crap will start kicking in pretty much

you can quote this or that but you all know the pc will just release a new GFX card, processor, more ram, etc, etc and rape all the consoles into dust

its how PC works but to be able to have those things is pretty much being broke 4evar ; ;

This is all true, as was the comment about multi-core processors, but the point is that technological advances will slow down. Meaning that PC's and gaming consoles will last longer, as it will take longer for each generation of hardware to be far enough ahead of it's predecessor to be worth while replacing it.

Also, supercomputers: This is either very uncommon knowledge now or it's just too damn hard to judge precisely, but the definition of a supercomputer, while it may have changed now due to the above reason, used to be any one of the top hundred most powerful computers in the world. It doesn't matter what size or shape the computer is in, it just has to be one of the top 100 most powerful. If there are only 100 computers in the world, one of them is a 486 and the other 99 are all pentium 2's, every single one of them is a supercomputer. As soon as someone makes a pentium 3, the 486 is no longer classed as a supercomputer. At no point in there time has there ever, or will there ever, be more or less (unless the world explodes) than 100 supercomputers in the world
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-06-11 07:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadowgabriel said:
Oh breaking news ain't such tying as a teraflop

I'm reading that as "There's no such thing as a Teraflop" mmk?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teraflop

Or.. just in case you're too lazy,

That Article said:
In computing, FLOPS (or flops or flop/s) is an acronym meaning FLoating point Operations Per Second. The FLOPS is a measure of a computer's performance, especially in fields of scientific calculations that make heavy use of floating point calculations, similar to instructions per second.

And lots of love from isa.org
Quote:
teraflops
1 trillion floating-point operations per second, a benchmark measurement for rating the speed of microprocessors
[+]
 Cerberus.Rayik
Server: Cerberus
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2009-06-11 07:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow! PS3 will finally have a game worth playing that isn't an xbox port!

Sorry for the xbot statement, you guys had it coming. But seriously, all these remarks of "I'll facepalm if it comes out on 360" or "They'll get a dumbed down version", geez guys, are you on Sony's payroll? If you have the PS3 already, congrats. You don't have to rain on everybody else's parade, especially since all of us here play the same game, regardless of system.

I play FFXI on 360, and things like Besieged work just fine. I personally hope it comes out on 360, I can't see why it wouldn't. SE is making a pretty penny from the monthly subscriptions of FFXI players on XBL. I don't even terribly mind that it's launching on PS3, I can wait.

If you have a PS3, then good for you. You have nothing to worry about. It's a nice system and you were obviously willing to shell out the money for it. I don't really see how it or the 360 would limit the game, especially seeing as how it's launching on PS3. They'd be silly to try and make something that doesn't work right for the very system it's launching on. I know there's a gajillion technical reasons why "this" or "that", but bottom line, it's a video game they are selling to an already established audience. If it's limited in some way they'll patch around it.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-11 07:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye, I've since been told (yes, in the last ten minutes lol) that PS3 isn't THAT much more powerful than 360. My main concern was that allowing it on 360 would prevent it reaching the full potential it could reach on ps3... Apparently I was wrong. I'm really not worried about the PS3 getting old and limiting the game like all the PS2 excuses we've been given, but I have heard horror stories of 360 not being able to handle a lot of things that the other formats could.

So if 360 truly is powerful enough to closely match the PS3's potential, then I change my comment, and hope it IS released on 360. I have friends that play FFXI that only have a 360, I'd hate for them to miss out, and I also want SE to reach as wide an audience as they can for a multitude of reasons.
 Phoenix.Swieter
Server: Phoenix
user: Swieter
By Phoenix.Swieter 2009-06-23 13:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It's amusing to see that people talk like this game was set mainly for the ps3 and pc, and not the 360. The only reason as of date that it's not set to come out on 360 is they are still in talks and cant come to an agreement with microsoft. This game right from the beginning was set to come out 360 and pc, then ps3. I do have to confess ffxi plays a bit laggy on the 360 and I play it on the pc/laptop. Dont be suprised though when launch date comes out that you see 360 on the list of systems it will be to release out on. What needs to be done in my opinion is make do what pc games do, install onto the harddrive. Reading games off of a disc is slow and cumbersome. Leave the discs out, as in once you have the game installed you dont need the disc to run the game. Just my thought.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-23 14:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Swieter said:
What needs to be done in my opinion is make do what pc games do, install onto the harddrive. Reading games off of a disc is slow and cumbersome. Leave the discs out, as in once you have the game installed you dont need the disc to run the game. Just my thought.

You can do that now on the 360, don't know if it's specific titles only or ANY 360 game, but yeah, you can install it to the Hard Drive...you still need the disc in the drive so it can verify you actually own the game, but it doesn't actually read from the disc after the initial check. I installed a few often played games (GTAIV, Farcry 2) to the HD to save on wear and tear on my disc drive, already lost one 360 to that (which luckily got replaced, so now I got 2 ^^)

And I think PS3 you have to install games onto the hard drive regardless...even if it still uses the disc? That's kinda lame if it's true...but I could be talking out of my ***; I just heard some ***about having to install Metal Gear Solid 4 for like 30 minutes before you could even play the ***LOL
 Bahamut.Dracondria
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-06-23 14:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope the install won't be huge, I'd have to delete installs from other games unless I switch HDDs in my PS3. GTA4's 5 GB install (iirc) and DMC4's 5 GB means I don't have a huge amount of space left.
 Seraph.Majinn
Server: Seraph
user: Cojak
By Seraph.Majinn 2009-06-23 14:13:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Swieter said:
What needs to be done in my opinion is make do what pc games do, install onto the harddrive. Reading games off of a disc is slow and cumbersome. Leave the discs out, as in once you have the game installed you dont need the disc to run the game. Just my thought.

I just heard some ***about having to install Metal Gear Solid 4 for like 30 minutes before you could even play the ***LOL

Pertaining to MGS4 that's ***, some jackass fan-boy/girl would say something like that. Five minute install in the very beginning and 2-3 minutes for each chapter within the game. Enough time to go take a leak or fix a sandwich.
 Remora.Dubont
Server: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-06-23 14:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Swieter said:
It's amusing to see that people talk like this game was set mainly for the ps3 and pc, and not the 360. The only reason as of date that it's not set to come out on 360 is they are still in talks and cant come to an agreement with microsoft. This game right from the beginning was set to come out 360 and pc, then ps3. I do have to confess ffxi plays a bit laggy on the 360 and I play it on the pc/laptop. Dont be suprised though when launch date comes out that you see 360 on the list of systems it will be to release out on. What needs to be done in my opinion is make do what pc games do, install onto the harddrive. Reading games off of a disc is slow and cumbersome. Leave the discs out, as in once you have the game installed you dont need the disc to run the game. Just my thought.

well that will be hard to do with a game like FFXIV on the 360...what with the low amount of data that can be put on a single 360 disc.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-23 14:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
well that will be hard to do with a game like FFXIV on the 360...what with the low amount of data that can be put on a single 360 disc.

I'm sure they'll figure out a way. Eliminating 1 of the 3 revenue streams would be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE from a business standpoint, especially considering they took the time to release FFXI on 360...that's a whole lot of potential players they'd be giving the finger to if they didn't port it over at some point...may not be day of release, but I'm sure it will come out for 360 eventually.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-06-23 14:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Dubont said:

I'm sure they'll figure out a way. Eliminating 1 of the 3 revenue streams would be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE from a business standpoint, especially considering they took the time to release FFXI on 360...that's a whole lot of potential players they'd be giving the finger to if they didn't port it over at some point...may not be day of release, but I'm sure it will come out for 360 eventually.

eventually yes oh and in regards to swieter's comment about it being meant for 360...thats obsurd. Square and Sony have been partners for a long time so just about every FF game (now anyway) is considered for a sony system first. No game that square releases (anytime soon) will be considered for 360 before anything else lol besides, PS3 still has Square exclusives that u cant get on any other system ^^
 Cerberus.Nieko
user: Nieko
By Cerberus.Nieko 2009-06-23 14:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Dubont said:

Agreed. Especially when there are far more 360 owners than ps3. Yes the ps3 is a superior machine but to this point there has never been any real incentive to buy the machine unless u just want a fancy bluray player like some ppl i kno *raises hand*
I've had my ps3 for about 8 months now and i own 2 games. and 20+ bluray movies. On games that are released for both systems i prefer the 360 not neccessarily because of the machine but because Xbox Live pwns wtfever Sony wants to call that measly online service they offer.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-06-23 14:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Nieko said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Dubont said:

Agreed. Especially when there are far more 360 owners than ps3. Yes the ps3 is a superior machine but to this point there has never been any real incentive to buy the machine unless u just want a fancy bluray player like some ppl i kno *raises hand*
I've had my ps3 for about 8 months now and i own 2 games. and 20+ bluray movies. On games that are released for both systems i prefer the 360 not neccessarily because of the machine but because Xbox Live pwns wtfever Sony wants to call that measly online service they offer.

O.o PSN has just about everything that XBL has its just organized as well...and its free...so yea thats enough incitive for me lol also the monthly payment and low disc space is what drove me away from 360...and the fact that mine *** up 6 times and i had it repaired 6 times before i finally took it back and got a ps3. But i have to say...some 360 games really are amazing, even though smart ps3 owners can play them =P
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-23 14:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Nieko said:

Yeah, I gotta admit, almost every person I know that owns a PS3 also owns a 360. And of those people, they own like 2-5 games for the PS3, dozens for the 360, and, of course, Blu Ray movies...(and the movies are the reason most of them got a PS3, according to them anyways)

That's the big reason I'd even want a PS3, personally, Blu Ray. And, the exclusives like God of War III (that honestly may be the one game that finally makes me buy one lol)...but cross platform stuff, I'd prolly stick to 360; all my friends are on XBL most of the time...

Not being a fanboy, they're both good consoles...just saying.

EDIT: Fanboy ***makes me LOL anyways, I'm showing my age here, but I remember ALL TO WELL the heated arguments over SNES versus Sega Genesis back in the day, damn near led to fist fights ^^

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Nieko
user: Nieko
By Cerberus.Nieko 2009-06-23 14:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:

EDIT: Fanboy ***makes me LOL anyways, I'm showing my age here, but I remember ALL TO WELL the heated arguments over SNES versus Sega Genesis back in the day, damn near led to fist fights ^^

haha I'm right there with u! I was all the way on the Sega Genesis team! Sonic could run circles around Mario!!! then Street Fighter II Turbo was released....
<convert>
 Seraph.Majinn
Server: Seraph
user: Cojak
By Seraph.Majinn 2009-06-23 14:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:

...even though smart ps3 owners can play them =P

I see what you did there. *shifty eyes*
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-23 14:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Nieko said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:

haha I'm right there with u! I was all the way on the Sega Genesis team! Sonic could run circles around Mario!!! then Street Fighter II Turbo was released....
<convert>

Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

NINTENDO!!!!!! IT'S GOT MORE COLORS DAMMIT!!!!!! :P

I was a bad fanboy, though...I used to sneak to my friends house to play Sonic, Streets of Rage, and Golden Axe all the time LOL
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-06-23 14:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Majinn said:
Dubont said:

...even though smart ps3 owners can play them =P

I see what you did there. *shifty eyes*

=D
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2009-06-23 14:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

User submitted image
This thread is bad and you should feel bad.
[+]
 Asura.Celene
Server: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-06-23 15:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Before we hear about PS3 limitations, we're going to be hearing about 360 limitations, provided it is released for the 360. >.>;
[+]
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2009-06-23 15:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Jesus I've heard that what, 3 times in this thread now? The differences between the power of the 360 and PS3 is minimal, usually with multi-platform games playing/looking better on 360. What pros do either console have? The 360 is about 3x easier to program for than the PS3, and the PS3 uses BD-ROM discs for insane amounts of storage. Why would that matter? The game is almost certainly going to use hard drive install for faster load times.

Please stop comparing the PS3 to a super computer when my PC from 4 years ago had better hardware. They're both consoles with relatively mediocre GPUs, single core processors, and half a gig of ram.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-23 15:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, they need to have a system in place BEFORE the issue of "limitations" comes up to avoid those issues. Will they do it? Who knows (doubt it, it's a convenient excuse)...but it'd be nice for PC FFXIV players to be able to take advantage of the benefits of constantly evolving hardware...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.