First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 76 77 78
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-11 00:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Play the victim, it suits you.

Maybe you'll be the one to actually take the step forward to show me something new. I doubt I'll get there by being nice, holding your hand, and not incensing you.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
Server: Bahamut
user: eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 00:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Urteil, a bit off topic, but have you ever played 1 on 1 Super Smash Brothers Melee at a competitive level?
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-11 00:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I've played Super Smash Brothers yes.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Zirk
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-11 00:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Er woops I don't think I previously said I was focused on my strategy, I must have had that typed out but then more stuff got posted in the thread and I started typing something else.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 00:11:55
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, well, I wasn't challenging him at SSBM. I am not that good. I guess I was just thinking that it is one of those games where truly the skill gap between amateur and pro is much greater than people might think. I am starting to think that maybe the PvP in FFXI has more of that element than what I thought.

An example can be seen here for those who care: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7EQzOahzhQ

At least in that game, players like this bring it to a whole new level. I like that I am at least seeing a glimpse of that in FFXI.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-10-11 00:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Skill gap between amateur and pro in Super Smash Bros is approximately (3 * Chance to Trip)^2
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-11 00:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Team ballista 60 cap is even more like that. All the jobs/equipment is equal/near-equal, respectively, its all down to the skill of the players and the team's teamwork.

Team Ballista is very complex though, if you watched some of our videos you probably wouldn't understand most of the subtle things people are doing that make them strong. I'm actually torn right now between training to beat Urteil or continuing my 60 cap training, I still have a lot of improving to do before I can hold my own against the JP elite on our server.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 00:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

lol
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-11 00:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zirk said: »
Team ballista 60 cap is even more like that. All the jobs/equipment is equal/near-equal, respectively, its all down to the skill of the players and the team's teamwork.

Team Ballista is very complex though, if you watched some of our videos you probably wouldn't understand most of the subtle things people are doing that make them strong. I'm actually torn right now between training to beat Urteil or continuing my 60 cap training, I still have a lot of improving to do before I can hold my own against the JP elite on our server.

There are many intricacies in those videos every time somebody bashes on team play I tell them to go suck a ***.

I don't think anything lacks complexity.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-11 00:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Team Ballista is only more complex to 1v1 due to the inherent nature of there being more moving parts going on all at once. You can plan out your strategies to a point in 1v1, but in team play everything is always situational and you have to act correctly near instantaneously or other team will gain advantage.

This is why regular FFXI is so bland to the Ballista/PvP'ers, split decision reactions are happening all the time, and skill reigns supreme compared to gear. Winning a parse in a zerg fight in regular FFXI is like 95% what job you are on and what gear you are have, 5% execution.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-11 00:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply

All I do i
Team Ballista is only more complex to 1v1 due to the inherent nature of there being more moving parts going on all at once. You can plan out your strategies to a point in 1v1, but in team play everything is always situational and you have to act correctly near instantaneously or other team will gain advantage.

This is why regular FFXI is so bland to the Ballista/PvP'ers, split decision reactions are happening all the time, and skill reigns supreme compared to gear. Winning a parse in a zerg fight in regular FFXI is like 95% what job you are on and what gear you are have, 5% execution.

Check PMs.
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-10-11 00:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Winning a parse in a zerg fight in regular FFXI is like 95% what job you are on and what gear you are have, 5% execution.

If only this were true :(
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 00:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I would assume the more people you involve, the more complex it gets. The tighter team, the ones who are more on the same page and that much better at executing a strategy utilizing multiple people, I would surely assume would prevail. And I can't imagine that would be easy (I can only guess, I have never done it).

I absolutely love this thread... totally brings a new look to the game for me. Unfortunately, I don't think I would have the reflexes necessarily to challenge you. I consider myself above average in FFXI. At the 75 cap I duoed Jailer of Faith with a friend. I killed Despot playing a low level character as a challenge.

The difference is, I could predict and pretty accurately determine what THEY would do. In fact, in some ways I don't even consider those things average. I suppose I needed reflexes to an extent. But pinning Despot while I piled on DOTs isn't really that impressive to me. But my reflexes against a thinking enemy. I would fail.

My point is that I love what you are bringing to the game (and apparently have been bringing for a long time). Please make videos when you do find challengers. I am a fan, and would love this to explode into some kind of real, extensive tournament.
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-11 00:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Winning a parse in a zerg fight in regular FFXI is like 95% what job you are on and what gear you are have, 5% execution.

As a consequence of this, 95% of regular FFXI is grinding to get better gear, whereas in Ballista/PvP you work to improve your skills and have fun doing it.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-10-11 00:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

As a consequence of this, 95% of regular FFXI is grinding to get better gear, whereas in Ballista/PvP you work to improve your skills and have fun doing it.

I don't think Ballista could possibly improve your skills vs a mob. It's two entirely different play styles.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-11 00:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Eorphere said: »
I would assume the more people you involve, the more complex it gets. The tighter team, the ones who are more on the same page and that much better at executing a strategy utilizing multiple people, I would surely assume would prevail. And I can't imagine that would be easy (I can only guess, I have never done it).

I absolutely love this thread... totally brings a new look to the game for me. Unfortunately, I don't think I would have the reflexes necessarily to challenge you. I consider myself above average in FFXI. At the 75 cap I duoed Jailer of Faith with a friend. I killed Despot playing a low level character as a challenge.

The difference is, I could predict and pretty accurately determine what THEY would do. In fact, in some ways I don't even consider those things average. I suppose I needed reflexes to an extent. But pinning Despot while I piled on DOTs isn't really that impressive to me. But my reflexes against a thinking enemy. I would fail.

My point is that I love what you are bringing to the game (and apparently have been bringing for a long time). Please make videos when you do find challengers. I am a fan, and would love this to explode into some kind of real, extensive tournament.

After this plays out, I'm going to do a 3v3 on Phoenix.

I'm still hammering out the details.
Only thing I have so far is every member of each team must be a different main job.

The reward will be 30,000,000g~ for the winning team who can then select a member (who may change jobs etc.) To fight me 1v1 for an even greater prize for their team if they win.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-11 00:36:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I enjoy doing the rest of FFXI to get better gear to be better at Ballista/Everything.

This game has a unique synergy with the power I obtain in one aspect the world being consistent everywhere else.

Do you know how hard my *** was when I got the Laeradr Body? It was hard because of what I could do with it in PvP and everything else.

It adds a lot to it and it is great that everything you do in the game has relevance in Ballista, even odds/ends that don't have a place somewhere else.

Jurfu cloak, prodigiuos mantle, level 50 assault rings, insect ring, etc.

That sweet relic, or mythic.

Gusterion . . .
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 00:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Urteil said: »
Bahamut.Eorphere said: »

After this plays out, I'm going to do a 3v3 on Phoenix.

I'm still hammering out the details.
Only thing I have so far is every member of each team must be a different main job.

The reward will be 30,000,000g~ for the winning team who can then select a member (who may change jobs etc.) To fight me 1v1 for an even greater prize for their team if they win.

I am actually tempted to transfer just to try this thing out. I really have no LS ties, and all of my friends have quit. Main problem is that I have two accounts, and really don't want to pay to transfer both. Plus, a few of my friends are supposedly coming back.

Either way, post updates with videos and such, and I will surely follow along.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 00:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, keep this thread going. So awesome to read along as I camp NMs, lol
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-11 01:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »

I don't think Ballista could possibly improve your skills vs a mob. It's two entirely different play styles.

I mean play more Ballista to improve your skills at Ballista. We don't really do much end game FFXI stuff.

Urteil is your 30 mil for 3v3 just killing each other, or is it actually playing Ballista where the team with the higher score when time runs out wins?
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-11 01:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Since there's general interest in this thread about non-regular FFXI stuff, here is a semi-recent video from team 60 cap.

The JP pretty much always beat us at this point, but we are getting close, and we won one match when the JP didn't have all of their best players playing. The JP elite have been exclusively playing Ballista every day since 2004. The NA only have a few members with that level of experience.

The JP are almost exclusively Galka/Tarutaru, almost all remade characters from scratch just so they aren't at a racial disadvantage. I'm a few months from completing my Galka, when that happens I'll challenge Urteil if I think I have a chance to beat him.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-10-11 01:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Who the hell would waste their time day in and day out doing Ballista since friggin 04? lol
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-11 01:19:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Think of Ballista as just being a separate game from FFXI. You play other competitive games like Super Smash Bros. or Call of Duty against other human players just for the thrill of the competition, the excitement of winning, and improving your skills for the next day of play. In these other games you play just for fun, not for some other reward, that's what we do with Ballista.
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-10-11 01:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Who the hell would waste their time day in and day out doing Ballista since friggin 04? lol

Subjective. Unless you mean Ballista is a waste of time.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-10-11 01:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Evviva said: »

Subjective. Unless you mean Ballista is a waste of time.

Yeah that's basically what I was getting at. Urteil's challenge seems fun for a lil challenge and potential huge payout, but the ballista game itself was so terribly unpopular so they never really expanded on it. There is a reason there was only 1 cross server tournament ever.
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-11 01:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Part of the reason we choose to play 60 cap is it keeps the emphasis on skill, as opposed to grinding out top tier gear all the time since new gear is always coming out. If you had to always keep your gear up to date, you wouldn't have much time to enjoy Ballista! How many people do you think would play Smash Bros or Call of Duty if you had to grind for hours just to be able to compete on an even level?
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-10-11 01:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody, but I just don't see the fun/reason for ballista grinding (obviously against the same few players, given the popularity of ballista itself) that much. Especially for 8 years+. To each their own, but I find that crazy.
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-11 01:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a reason there was only 1 cross server tournament ever.

The reason isn't because Ballista sucks or is lame, it's because people play FFXI for the PvE and the general other things offered in an MMO. There is still enough people playing 60 cap Ballista to host a tournament, but because its not the focus of FFXI, the relative interest in it is low.

New people joining 60 cap is very rare since people in FFXI want to take advantage of all their hard work obtaining their gear etc. So there is kind of like a permanent break between 60 cap players and the regular FFXI population, that's why the JP who play have been doing it since 2004. Random JP's don't cross over from doing level 99 content.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-10-11 01:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It was never the focus though. I'm not sure how popular a second tournament would be though it might raise some interest due to nostalgia or w/e. And it being "lame" is relative. I think the game concept itself behind ballista is stupid as all hell.
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 76 77 78