Decoy Shot Help?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Decoy Shot help?
Decoy Shot help?
 Ragnarok.Bbqhamster
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Bbqhamster 2012-10-01 06:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I figure this is because I wear glasses... And also I must be slightly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
I have no idea how to make Decoy Shot work!
I pop Decoy Shot. I stand behind someone meleeing. I shoot. I get hate.
Is there a trick to figuring out how to stand correctly? Is the game a bit sensitive on how "off" you are? Do I need to be next to the person's back or can I be further off behind?
This isn't a one or two time instance. This is every single time, without fail for the past three months. I must be some lopsided character.
Anyone have suggestions? (Like aim for the person in front of you's left butt cheek)
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2012-10-01 07:10:31
Link | Quote | Reply

When I am setting up for decoy, I'll switch views to first person, to ensure that someone is between me and the mob. As a heads-up, I'll tell them before hand I am doing this, so they know not to move around a lot.

The JA however, doesn't transfer all the enmity to the person in front of you. So will will still be gaining hate over time.

You can use it in combination with Camoflauge. This will give the Decoy Shot partner 100% of the hate. However Camo wears off when you use a WS.
[+]
 Asura.Hotsoups
Server: Asura
user: Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-10-01 07:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I decoy shot unsuspecting mages. >:D
[+]
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-10-01 21:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's seemed a bit finicky with positioning in my experience. I usually try to just be behind a mass of DDs so if one guy shifts I'm probably still behind SOMEONE.
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-10-01 23:17:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hotsoups said: »
I decoy shot unsuspecting mages. >:D

I decoy shot mages all the time. They're much easier targets since they never move :|.

Edit: oh and it does transfer ALL enmity as long as you have -20 enmity in gear, which you should just from scout's beret, socks, bracers, and sylvan caban.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2012-10-02 11:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said: »
Edit: oh and it does transfer ALL enmity as long as you have -20 enmity in gear, which you should just from scout's beret, socks, bracers, and sylvan caban.

Oh. Didn't know. Thanks for the info. Will edit my stuff accordingly.
By Aeyela 2012-10-03 09:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Would I be correct in concluding Decoy Shot is basically trick attack for Ranger? I haven't taken my RNG to 99 yet since coming back from a break so haven't had the chance to try it for myself.
 Bahamut.Colonelace
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-10-03 10:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

well unlike trick attack, decoy allows you to keep shooting and the buff remains on until the timer wears off. also doesnt work with barrage or ws's if im not mistaken.
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2012-10-03 10:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Colonelace said: »
also doesnt work with barrage or ws's if im not mistaken.
That would explain alot and would probably be worth mentioning on the wikis. I always try to slam someone with a barrage, but always have hate go to me, so I figured I was just bad at aligning.
 Sylph.Mirvana
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-10-06 17:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of curiousity (because I've no way to actually test it), wonder how Decoy Shot + Camoflague's reduced enmity effect works out. Probably just less enmity being put on the decoy making it pointless though.
 Odin.Upbeat
Server: Odin
user: Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2012-10-06 18:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Mirvana said: »
Out of curiousity (because I've no way to actually test it), wonder how Decoy Shot + Camoflague's reduced enmity effect works out. Probably just less enmity being put on the decoy making it pointless though.
I would like to know the answer to this myself. I've read both that it does, and that it doesn't. I haven't tested it myself to confirm... maybe I'll do that later tonight.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/33524/decoy-shot-help/#2039337/
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
You can use it in combination with Camoflauge. This will give the Decoy Shot partner 100% of the hate. However Camo wears off when you use a WS.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/25525/decoy-shot/2/#1555182
Leviathan.Dodu said: »

wat

Camouflage is -25 enmity while active, it doesn't eliminate CE. Unless Decoy Shot doesn't apply to WS(no reason to believe it doesn't), there's little chance of pulling hate against a PLD doing their job while the JA is up. High Jump should lessen the VE burden slightly as well.
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-10-06 19:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

According to JP vanafest thing they said camouflage + decoy shot prevents you from gaining any hate. I don't have a link but I'm 100% positive that is what they said. So, in response to your question, camouflage would seem to reduce the RNG's hate, not the hate gained by the target. I don't know whether it increases the hate gained by the target, not really relevant as long as it's not increasing your enmity.
[+]
 Sylph.Knala
user: nala
By Sylph.Knala 2012-10-06 19:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought decoy shot was 100% CE transfer but you still build VE.